South Africa 'draws up a list of almost 200 farms it will seize from white farmers' as ANC head says - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Daily Mail wrote:South Africa 'draws up a list of almost 200 farms it will seize from white farmers' as ANC head says land should be taken from those with over 12,000 hectares WITHOUT compensation

Lobby group AfriForum claimed to have a list of 195 farms earmarked for seizure
But South Africa's government denied the claim saying the document was false
The rand fell after the ruling ANC's chair said owners should have land seized

South Africa's government has been accused of earmarking almost 200 farms for seizure from their white owners as the chair of the African National Congress said the state should take land from those who own more than 12,000 hectares.

The rand fell on financial markets after ANC chair Gwede Mantashe, an ally of President Cyril Ramaphosa, said this week that major landowners should have their land taken without compensation.

AfriForum, a lobby group which mainly represents white South Africans, claimed to have a list of 195 farms which the government was planning to seize.

But the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform denied the claim, saying there was 'no truth to this document', News 24 reported.

More than two decades after the end of apartheid, white people still own most of South Africa's land.

Ownership patterns remain highly emotive as the government has been slow to transfer land to the black majority after centuries of colonial and racial oppression.

The ANC's plans to amend the constitution to redistribute land have been interpreted negatively by some investors, who see them as undermining property rights.

The ruling party has sought to assuage those fears by saying that land reform will follow a parliamentary process.

'You shouldn't own more than 12,000 hectares of land and therefore if you own more, it should be taken without compensation,' ANC Chairman Gwede Mantashe, who is also the country's mines minister, told News24 in an interview published on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear whether Mantashe's comments represented official ANC policy. Four key party officials did not answer their phones when called by Reuters for clarification.
I am all for this happening but I do think the farmers should be compensated in some way for the loss of their livelihoods. It’s clear that there are already massive disparities between the quality of life between the white and black peoples in South Africa and thus, this proposal makes sense. It raises the quality of life of already dirt poor black South Africans while distributing resources to those less well off in society but compensating those who have lost those resources is absolutely necessary.
Hong Wu wrote:It's a pretty basic principle that if the government takes your land (or anything you own/have invested significantly into), they give you some payment for it. The fact that South Africa is not following this basic principle shows that this is about animus and not equality.

Since when was that the case? When Mexico nationalised oil it didn't give the foreign parasite owners a penny did it? It simply sent the army to size what needed seizing. When the Bolsheviks took Russia away from the Romanov family to give it back to the Russian people all they gave to the Romanovs in exchange was one bullet each. :lol:
Decky wrote:Since when was that the case? When Mexico nationalised oil it didn't give the foreign parasite owners a penny did it? It simply sent the army to size what needed seizing. When the Bolsheviks took Russia away from the Romanov family to give it back to the Russian people all they gave to the Romanovs in exchange was one bullet each. :lol:

Those events don't seem to have ended well in the long run. Some people call this "sins of the father" etc.
Indeed that worked out so well for the Russian people. By the end of Soviet Union thanks to Stalin's "agrarian reforms", (which was basically land seizures, distribution and reorganization guided by Communist thought up ideals,) Soviet Union could not feed itself; it had to ask the West for food aid.

Communist were radical thugs then and they are radical thugs now.
@Code Rood
No they weren't.
They were south of South Africa. South west of south Africa to be exact, and they effectively killed off all the native population when they were there BTW, the rest of south Africa was already inhabited by the Bantu people.
Then the Brits came along and kicked the Dutch asses so the Dutch moved to the North east if I remember correctly and colonized the area there, an area that did have many natives (those natives are the current blacks in south Africa) whom the dutch or boers as they're called colonized and stole their land.
Lobby group AfriForum claimed to have a list of 195 farms earmarked for seizure
But South Africa's government denied the claim saying the document was false

AfriForum cannot confirm the authenticity of the list it published. AfriForum's deputy CEO only believes that it's a document circulating in the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform. AfriForum is a pro-Afrikaner lobby group which caused controversies in the past and the appropriation list is very likely to be fake.

AfriForum said it has been unable to confirm the list's status, but it believes it is in the public interest to publish it.

Ernst Roets, AfriForum's deputy CEO, insisted that he believes the list to be a document circulating in the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform.

He received support from the South African Institute of Race Relations, which says it believes the list to be real, as well as from the Transvaal Agricultural Union (TAU).

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... s-20180817
Red_Army wrote:Nothing more hilarious than seeing the same racists who complain about Europe being conquered by waves of brown immigrants and the rights of "indigenous Europeans" coming to the support of white colonialism in Africa.

I guess it was just about supporting white people all along. How surprising...

So apparently you don't mind seeing Europe being ''conquered'' by waves of brown immigrants and you don't mind the slaughter of white Boers/Afrikaners either. Pretty consistent on how you want people of my complexion to be treated, I'll give you that. But you may want to look in the mirror if you talk about racism.
Red_Army wrote::lol:

@Code Rood Who do you think I'm racist against?

It's quite obvious to anyone with a working brain.

Red_Army wrote:edit: also you can't use the word "conquered" like its what I believe. I wrote that to mock you and what you believe in.

Well, you fail at mocking me then. Because I wouldn't use the word ''conquered'' to describe what's happening to Europe either. It's something else.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]