Mass shooting, gamer opened fire after losing... Is winning everything in USA? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

I get your point @SolarCross , but even in your examples there is still a pretty big difference between Chess and reading literature.

I mean, at some point, we need to embrace the old expression "its just a game" when people would rarely say "just a book" about any piece of great literature.

I mean, who would call a game of Chess as masterpiece of Western art?

I think you can substitute gaming in this (Though I will grant some difference, consider the impact of ID software, square-enix, and nintendo on the modern world....there is definitely something to it, but is it much different than the NFL's impact on culture, or that of any major sport?)

I have mixed feelings on film and even contemporary music though, contra @Red_Army .

In some ways I feel we have exchanged adoration for Kings and Philosophers for what in former times would have been considered the Jesters and folk-singers of a people. Such have been elevated to god-like status and even our politics reflects this (i.e. Trump).

Does anyone remember the actors of the early Shakespeare plays? No, but they sure-as-hell remember Shakespeare and appropriately so.

This was a great time where actors (jesters) were attended with the seriousness they actually deserved.....but I digress.

8)
Victoribus Spolia wrote:I get your point @SolarCross , but even in your examples there is still a pretty big difference between Chess and reading literature.

I mean, at some point, we need to embrace the old expression "its just a game" when people would rarely say "just a book" about any piece of great literature.

I mean, who would call a game of Chess as masterpiece of Western art?

It is exactly the "pretty big" difference between games and stories I was highlighting. :eh:

The context of people saying "it's just a game" is to smooth over players' hot feelings who got worked up over some aspect of fair play, cheating, winning or losing. The fact no one cares enough about "great literature" to get worked up enough so that someone would ever say "it's just a story" just highlights the point that dynamic interactive games offer a greater potential engagement than static voyeuristic stories.

I don't know that I would call Chess "western" as I think the game was originally invented in India but yes it may be called a master piece of art. Paintings are 2-dimensional, sculpture is 3-dimensional, dance is 4-dimensional but games are n-dimensional... The art of games is on a completely higher level.
anarchist23 wrote:Over forty posts and no one has answered or tried to answer the question in the OP.
It seems that comprehension isnt a strong point on POFO.
Or is it that winning is the be all and end all in the US.

Perhaps no one takes your british-chauvenism and anti-americanism seriously enough to consider that an actual question for PoFo to answer.

But for the sole purposes of indulging you, the answer is yes.

"Men, all this stuff you hear about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of bullshit. Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big-league ball players and the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. The very thought of losing is hateful to Americans. Battle is the most significant competition in which a man can indulge. It brings out all that is best and it removes all that is base."
- General George S Patton.

SolarCross wrote:The art of games is on a completely higher level.

How would you differentiate video games from sports? or even something like Chess?

I also have a hard time seeing how a game of chess is art.....perhaps you could elaborate on your reasoning for this claim?

I am genuinely curious and open to your interpretation of video games, but I still need a bit of convincing...
Last edited by Victoribus Spolia on 28 Aug 2018 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
anarchist23 wrote:Over forty posts and no one has answered or tried to answer the question in the OP.
It seems that comprehension isnt a strong point on POFO.
Or is it that winning is the be all and end all in the US.

I am not that interested in the OP particularly but the answer since you ask is that while winning matters anywhere it is highly unlikely this dude shot up the place because he lost. Most likely he would have done the same thing if he went to the cinema or a restaurant. Your question is a retarded as asking if getting a good grade really mattered that much in the context of a school shooting.
Last edited by SolarCross on 28 Aug 2018 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
SolarCross wrote:I am not that interested in the OP particularly but the answer since you ask is that while winning matters anywhere it is highly unlikely this dude shot up the place because he lost.

Doesn't seem that comprehension is your strong point.
This was quoted in the OP.
According to the Los Angeles Times, a gamer opened fire after losing, then killed himself. The report, which quoted messages from another gamer, could not immediately be confirmed.
anarchist23 wrote:Talking about clutching at straws. lol

You are projecting but whatever. Like it or not he was prepared to shoot the place up even before he arrived there and started playing. He was probably not even trying to win just occupying himself half-interested in it while fantasying and working up the gumption to carry out his pre-planned big moment.
SolarCross wrote:You are projecting but whatever. Like it or not he was prepared to shoot the place up even before he arrived there and started playing. He was probably not even trying to win just occupying himself half-interested in it while fantasying and working up the gumption to carry out his pre-planned big moment.

I think @anarchist23 thinks of America like the wild west; he envisions all Americans walking around with six-shooters hanging off their belts and going to video game tournaments and accusing each other cheating resulting in a modern-day okay corral shoot-out.

The question in the OP assumes a straw-man.

The fact that this guy was on drugs to treat psychotic behavior and had premeditated the attack have both been settled by police.

This isn't a gun issue and this isn't a video game issue, and this isn't even a winning issue.

Its a fucking alienated loser issue. Our society is churning out crazy losers and crazy losers kill people and it will only get worse.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:I think @anarchist23 thinks of America like the wild west; he envisions all Americans walking around with six-shooters hanging off their belts and going to video game tournaments and accusing each other cheating resulting in a modern-day okay corral shoot-out.

Wait, you don't do this? :eh:

:lol: The U.S. has basically dropped Ukraine. […]

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]