Mass shooting, gamer opened fire after losing... Is winning everything in USA? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

@Victoribus Spolia

The shooter is what the Malay would call an Amok. It is from this word that the English expression "run amok" comes from (malaysia is one the many places the Brits spent some time governing). An Amok is a suicidal person determined to take some other people out with him as he goes. In Malaysia the murder weapon is usually a knife, machete or cleaver but of course a gun is just a better knife. USians can console themselves with the fact that they are not the only people in the world afflicted with Amoks.
Last edited by SolarCross on 28 Aug 2018 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:We've been having the debate about violence in video games for some 25 years-sh. Surely this is enough to time for people to produce academic studies on the question, right?

Like I said a couple of pages back, the debate on this thread was "video games or guns?" the same fucking debate since the early 90s. should we blame the Smith & Wesson? or Doom: Hell on Earth?

The debate hasn't changed because people don't want to face the tough issues of the family, culture, society, morals, religions etc.

We want a quick fix, like with any of our ailments, a quick legislative act to "ban things" in order to make us feel better (like pain killers); when in reality we need long-term changes, like diet and exercise are in the person with inflammation, pain killers don't fix the problem it covers it, just like legislation of something material like guns or video games only covers the real problems. Problems we don't want to deal with and frankly don't know how to deal with.
Last edited by Victoribus Spolia on 28 Aug 2018 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:We've been having the debate about violence in video games for some 25 years-sh. Surely this is enough to time for people to produce academic studies on the question, right?

It is hard to envisaged how anyone can call Madden violence. If you are passionate about something you can lose your head I guess. From what I have been reading, the suspect smashed a door in to get to his computer when his mom locked it away as a punishment as the game was that important to him. If Madden is like FIFA in the UK, there will be plenty of crybabies out there when a player loses btw. So the problem here is not the game, winning or emotions. It's guns and the lack of control, like always in America.
They believed that amok was caused by the hantu belian, which was an evil tiger spirit that entered one’s body and caused the heinous act. As a result of the belief, those in Indonesian culture tolerated amok and dealt with the after-effects with no ill will towards the assailant.

Maybe the Malay are right about that.. :eek:

Get out your firecrackers, your gongs and your salt and chase those pesky daemons away.
You've answered the question in the OP.
Is winning everything in USA?

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Its a fucking alienated loser issue. Our society is churning out crazy losers and crazy losers kill people and it will only get worse.
@SolarCross If you've only ever had a passive relationship with literature and film - that is, one in which you don't engage it with your previous knowledge, cultural identity, and personal experience than you've never really engaged with any of it. If your experience reading is just one in which the characters, plot, and story hit you as completely unique and wholly unrelated to you and your experience than you are probably reading shit books and that's why you equate it on the same level as PUBG. Either you read trash (and even this is unlikely because trash literature is usually easier to relate with) or you don't know how to engage with text. That is the only explanation for this analysis of a reader's relationship to text.

Bringing up other games doesn't make your analysis any better. I was real happy with Ovechkin raising the cup of Lord Stanley, but this story gave me nothing of the glimpses of humanity provided by silver age Russian literature...
Are you saying your SJW ways are superior to other people RA. That you have better understanding and experience of this world? You know nothing of video gamer experience and true gamer life.

This shooting was committed by a crazed never-Trumpster, who's anger was boiling over for a long time. Congratulations to giving birth to a mass killer SJWs.

You display the modern smugness of academia that had seen nothing more outside this world then the front of their desk. I guarantee you SolarCross has more wisdom through his life experience at your age making you look like a toddler in comparison.

In fact you are not even close to being an academic, you teach elementary school kids for crying out loud.
Last edited by Albert on 29 Aug 2018 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Army wrote:@SolarCross If you've only ever had a passive relationship with literature and film - that is, one in which you don't engage it with your previous knowledge, cultural identity, and personal experience than you've never really engaged with any of it. If your experience reading is just one in which the characters, plot, and story hit you as completely unique and wholly unrelated to you and your experience than you are probably reading shit books and that's why you equate it on the same level as PUBG. Either you read trash (and even this is unlikely because trash literature is usually easier to relate with) or you don't know how to engage with text. That is the only explanation for this analysis of a reader's relationship to text.

Bringing up other games doesn't make your analysis any better. I was real happy with Ovechkin raising the cup of Lord Stanley, but this story gave me nothing of the glimpses of humanity provided by silver age Russian literature...

There is no need to be petulant. Both games and stories have trash hacks and inspired geniuses creating them. Comparing Dostevesky's works to the card game Snap to say how much better stories are to games is as disingenuous as comparing the boardgame Go to some pulp fiction novel; I didn't do that and neither should you.

The original point was about engagement rather than pontificating about the human condition so you are moving the goal posts a bit there. Games in general beat stories for engagement, because dynamic beats static and participation beats voyeurism; this is quite a separate thing from any profundity.

Otherwise I would say first hand experience teaches us more about ourselves than second hand experience. I suspect Muhammad Ali learnt more about himself in any one boxing match than you ever learnt about your own self from any novel you could possibly read. You might be well read but it didn't make you a better person, it never could and it shows in every single post you make here.
@Albert I'm not sure @SolarCross wants you on his side of the argument.

First off the never-trump shit was bullshit. The reddit account that right wing morons attributed to Katz posted an AMA last night. So you're wrong, but don't let that stop you.

How can you talk about the outside world while living in your mother's house without a job. I don't care to defend my world experience to you, but will say this. For all your hatred of progressiveness (especially homosexuality) it does appear like you love sucking @SolarCross's cock.

@SolarCross

My point was entirely about engagement: you said that literature was passive and I will say that it's not. Have you ever read a book at two different points in your life and got two completely different interpretations? Reading literature is not passive at all. It is a conversation with text. I'm not trying to be smug. This is how the study of literature is taught to children.

As to there being better and worse literature and video games, sure. That being said I maintain that there are no video games that approach the sophistication of good (not even great literature). If you disagree what is the Dostoevsky comparison for video games?

I have respect for athletes, but I don't really understand your point. Are you some serious athlete yourself or are you just stoked about muscly guys and how well they "know themselves". Muhammad Ali was a fairly socially conscious athlete, but I doubt that's what you respect about him. As far as me being well read. I'm probably more so than the average person, but I never claimed it made me a better person. You can project your insecurities about your assertions as to the intellectual equity between literature and video games on me all you want, but that's in your head. I think I'm a better person than you because I'm not a nazi sympathizer, not because I've read more novels than you :lol:
Red_Army wrote:I think I'm a better person than you because I'm not a nazi sympathizer, not because I've read more novels than you :lol:

Pure delusion, especially given you are at least a communist sympathizer, communists are even worse. Given your filthy inhuman associations even being a nazi would be a step up for you. I am neither, never was, never will be. If you don't know that by now then you are an imbecile, well read or not. If you do know but are just being a sneak slanderer then that makes you a worse shit because it is intentional. So no you are not a better person.
Red_Army wrote:I knew you would ignore the rest of my refutation of your philistinism to assume the holier-than-thou posture :lol:

We will just be going around in circles when the real disagreement here comes down to personal preferences; we both like stories and we both like games but you prefer stories and I prefer games. All the rest is post-hoc justifications and rationalisations. That and you want to try to feel superior to some random guy on the internet due to your self-esteem issues.

Red_Army wrote:Saying nazism is preferable to communism and that you'd support it over communism is very much nazi sympathy. Especially since that's exactly how the nazis took power in Germany.

No it isn't, at all, you are lying again. Saying an abhorrent thing is slightly better than an obscenely inhumanly abhorrent thing is not an endorsement. Again you know this (surely?) so you are just being a shit for the sick pleasure of being shit.
Last edited by SolarCross on 29 Aug 2018 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

https://twitter.com/huwaidaarraf/status/1773389663[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What wat0n is trying to distract from: https://tw[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]