Dallas Officer Arrested In Shooting Death Of Botham Shem Jean - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/09/us/amber ... index.html

A Dallas police officer was arrested Sunday in connection with the shooting death of Botham Shem Jean, the Texas Rangers said.

Amber Guyger, who is white, was off-duty when she shot Jean, a black man, after mistakenly entering his apartment at the complex where she also lived, police said Thursday. Jean, 26, a native of St. Lucia who worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas, died at a hospital.

Guyger, 30, of Dallas, was charged with manslaughter, according to jail records. The four-year veteran of the department was released from the Kaufman County Jail on Sunday evening after posting a $300,000 bond. It wasn't immediately clear if Guyger had an attorney.
Guyger's arrest was announced as Jean's family and their attorneys say they met with Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson to demand the officer's arrest.

"We don't need evidence beyond a reasonable doubt at this point," the family's attorney, S. Lee Merritt, told reporters Sunday. "At this point, we need probable cause of a crime. And the existence of probable cause is painstakingly clear to everyone."

Merritt said attorneys presented prosecutors with a witness, and video evidence, which didn't capture the shooting, but declined to elaborate.

"We're still dealing in America with black people being killed in some of the most arbitrary ways, driving while black, walking while black and now we have to add living while black," co-counsel Benjamin Crump said.

Jean worked as a risk assurance experienced associate at PricewaterhouseCoopers, according to his LinkedIn page. He earned a bachelor's degree from Harding University in Arkansas in 2016. Crump said Jean was "living, doing everything that you want a young person to do."

"He had no criminal history. He was an amazing student. He was an amazing citizen. He loved God," Crump said.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings thanked the Texas Rangers and praised Police Chief Ulysha Renee Hall, who asked the Texas Rangers to take over the investigation.

"Please continue to pray for the family of Botham Jean tonight and in the weeks and months ahead," Rawlings said in a statement.
"We're still dealing in America with black people being killed in some of the most arbitrary ways, driving while black, walking while black and now we have to add living while black," co-counsel Benjamin Crump said.

Nah, man.

I think there are plenty of reasons why black persons in America have far more negative interactions with the police, and chief of them is not totally undue suspicion.

Moreover, by the way that this was described, this police officer was unhinged or somehow not in the right state of mind at all, and she did everything wrong. None of this depends on some narrative about race.
@Verv

Those reasons are racism, the lack of proper training in cops, poverty, associations with poverty, the institutional discrimination against blacks, and bias?

I think you should watch the video of the court case within the article. It debunks most of what you're saying, including the idea that the shooter was "unhinged".

Furthermore, I doubt you would even think, when black people commit crimes, that they could possibly have some kind of mental illness. The first thing to pop in your head is that this violence is innate within black people despite not having any evidence of such a thing.
Verv wrote:Nah, man.

I think there are plenty of reasons why black persons in America have far more negative interactions with the police, and chief of them is not totally undue suspicion.

lol, Whitesplainin'

Moreover, by the way that this was described, this police officer was unhinged or somehow not in the right state of mind at all, and she did everything wrong. None of this depends on some narrative about race.

Maybe she was a poor loner! Maybe this was a side-effect of her prescription medication!

:?:
Oxymandias wrote:@Suntzu

You can't. Are you going to call me an affirmative action hire despite being a man whose job is in Iran? Of course not.

Also being 180 pounds isn't a qualification to be a marine. There are men lower than that in pounds.

Furthermore, that has less to do with women and more to do with Americans being fucking idiots.

Women are less capable than men when it comes to being a cop or a soldier. A little female cop only has one option, shoot.

The standards were lowered for women Marines, women Rangers and women cops.
Oxymandias wrote:@Suntzu

There are other alternatives such as, oh I don't know, identifying the situation before shooting. Even if it's only one option, you still are obligated to delay go forward with that option instead of immediately shooting with no context. Do you shoot black people in apartments you don't know are yours?

I haven't shot anyone in a while. The cop was wrong. She needs to go to prison.
@Suntzu, women police officers have other skills, including social ones, that often make them better police. Physical violence is often a last resort, after social interaction fails. I still know a couple 110 lb females that could put a 200 lb man on his ass, though. I've also known some 140 lb police officers. Your generalizations are quite archaic, and out-dated.

Good training(most often what's deficient in the USA) can make physical size irrelevant, and often being more intimidating can work against you, as people are already intimidated by most police interactions. You actually want police who will de-escalate any conflict, not make it worse.
Godstud wrote:@Suntzu, women police officers have other skills, including social ones, that often make them better police. Physical violence is often a last resort, after social interaction fails. I still know a couple 110 lb females that could put a 200 lb man on his ass, though. I've also known some 140 lb police officers. Your generalizations are quite archaic, and out-dated.

Good training(most often what's deficient in the USA) can make physical size irrelevant, and often being more intimidating can work against you, as people are already intimidated by most police interactions. You actually want police who will de-escalate any conflict, not make it worse.

[Zag Edit: Rule 2]

which is why there are weight classes in all marshal arts. I went through Ranger School in 58 days. The three females all took about six months. The Marines found that integrated units performed worse than all male units.
Oxymandias wrote:@Verv

Those reasons are racism, the lack of proper training in cops, poverty, associations with poverty, the institutional discrimination against blacks, and bias?

I think you should watch the video of the court case within the article. It debunks most of what you're saying, including the idea that the shooter was "unhinged".

Furthermore, I doubt you would even think, when black people commit crimes, that they could possibly have some kind of mental illness. The first thing to pop in your head is that this violence is innate within black people despite not having any evidence of such a thing.

(1) If you go to other countries, you will see people literally living hand to mouth in a state of perpetual poverty but without much in the way of violent crime. One of the biggest differences between a Korean "ghetto" (though it is had to say such a thing exists) and an American one is that the worst thing that'll happen to you in the Korean version is that they'll try to sell you sex or get y ou to gamble everywhere, and all the men work as very cheap labor and maybe occasionally drive around a Bongo truck and steal bicycles.

Poverty doesn't make people kill each other and rob each other blind. It might make people do worst things in general, sure, but that's not the case.

(2) Why wouldn't the shooter be unhinged if she shot an unarmed black man in his home while he was making no threatening moves? How could you do that and not have a mental issue or some weird tick?

You know, the Somali Muslim cop in America who shot and killed an Australian woman for no apparent reason was kept on the police force. He was mentally unhinged even though he never did something so dramatic to show it, and nobody doubts the fact that he was off his rocker when he shot the woman.

Robert Spencer wrote a very good piece about this recently o'er at PJ Media.

Yeah, black people can be insane and disturbed, and they can be violent. And white people can be the same.

IDK, are we actually discussing this or are you just throwing the kitchen sink of leftist accusations at me?
skinster wrote:
lol, Whitesplainin'

Yes, I am white; I have an opinion; I disagree with someone, and I state the reasons why, and I am "whitesplaining."

I also think I am probably "whitesplaining" to another white male at this point, though, admittedly, I have no idea what Oxymandias's race is.

Maybe she was a poor loner! Maybe this was a side-effect of her prescription medication!

:?:

Perhaps it does matter that she was a poor loner because it will help profile police officers in the future and get them to be more rigorous in the Dallas Police force.

But othe rthan that, it doesn't matter.

Fun thing to remember: not too long ago, Micah Xavier Jones shot & killed 5 Police in Dallas (Daily Mail).

Something tells me that there was a lot of effort done by you and others to brownsplain us why this doesn't reflect on you guys at all.

But you people (you know what that subconsciously means, right?) play a funny, funny game when it comes to this:

- a hispanic man named Jorge Zimmerman shooting a black teenager high on lean casing houses in his neighborhood means white people are racist.
- a black thug killing another black thug did so because of institutional racism.
- a black kid without a father and with a mother with an extreme substance abuse issue becomes a career criminal because of institutional racism.
- Asian people feel bad forever because they were asked if they know Kung Fu at age 10 because of white privilege, etc.

The whole world revolves around our ills.

When an individual white person does something wrong, it's white people's fault.
When white people put up bad demographic numbers, it's white people's fault.
When white people put up good demographic numbers, it's white people's privilege & their fault.
When a black/brown person does something wrong, it's also white people's fault.
When black/brown people put up bad demographic numbers, it's white people's fault.
When black/brown people put up good demographic numbers, it's in spite of white people.

Etc.

The whole world is explained by the conscious & unconscious actions of white people.

You'd be a lot happier and a lot closer to the solution if you handled your problems head on -- and by you, I do not mean Skinster, I mean You People.
Red_Army wrote:@Verv No. Someone coming into your house and shooting you has nothing to do with FBI crime statistics.

Right.

My point is actually that this police woman was unprofessional and wrong. But that does no tmean that the whole system is messed up, and that this reflects institutional racism that oppresses black people.

You can't make this really narrow and only about the incident and then also treat it as a political discussion topic at the same time, Red. I understand how that is fun, though, if you want to get on top of a soap box and have your say, and then when you are criticized suddenly reduce to the simple narrative.
You know what, Red Army, I do not know what it is like to live in duh ghetto. But I do know what it is like to live in a successful society -- both a white, north American society and an Asian one.

I know what behavioral patterns tend to produce success. I don't know all of the ins & outs of failure, but I can take a few wild guesses. These things seem to be the most relevant factors in what builds a better community and a better society, not the actions of the Police or of .. white people who live on the other side of town!

If you look at the last decades of policies in America, they have all been geared to alleaving poverty and bettering the condition of non-white persons. Yet, everyone wants to pretend like that is not the case. I don't really get it. How petty.

Me getting treated like a bigot for having rational beliefs on this is silly, but sure, yeah, it's not comparable to people getting shot. Why do you think I conflate the two?

WHAT IS IT, Red?

When someone accuses me of whitesplainin' for giving my opinion, I should quietly accept the fact that my opinion shouldn't matter, ever, or else I am equating the two?

Not a logical position.

You just don't want to deal with my position or with a series of conservative arguments.

So you appeal to ethnic gnosticism and hopes that that will do the trick.
From what I read, the cop had finished a 15 hour shift and was likely exhausted. Not the time one is able to make the best judgements. Furthermore, there is a lot of violence in the work of a Dallas police officer. A lot of them get shot. It wouldn’t surprise me if most of them were suffering PTSD. Finally, it was dark. All she could see was a shadowy figure. She would have been worried that the guy might have had a gun.

As to the victim, they found dope in his room. The poor guy was probably stoned of his gills when the police officer entered his apartment and his just stood there thinking he was seeing things and wondering if he had smoked too much, so didn’t respond to the officer’s instructions.

So it is really just a case of tragic circumstances. The family has hired the BLM lawyer, so it will be politicised. All the usual suspects will cry racism, but in this case it wasn’t.
World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@late If you enter a country, without permission[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]

When the guy is selling old, debunked, Russian pro[…]