Illiteracy rate in Palestine one of the lowest in the world - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

https://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=781021

BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- On the occasion of the International Literacy Day, the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) published a report last week on the illiteracy rate in Palestine and confirmed that it is one of the lowest in the world.

The report said that the illiteracy rate in 2017 was 3.3% (7,898 illiterate) in the occupied West Bank, East Jerusalem, and Gaza Strip refugee camps run by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), which currently faces a financial crisis following the United States’ decision, which may affect its educational programs, compared to 3.1% (67,324 illiterate) in urban areas, and 4.8% (20,228 illiterate) in rural localities.

According to the definition by the United Nations for Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), an illiterate person identifies as the one who is unable to read and write with understanding a simple statement related to one's daily life.

PCBS’s report said that the illiteracy rates among the Palestinian population aged 15 years old and above, fell in the period between 1997 and 2017 from 13.9% to 3.3%. For males, the rate fell from 7.8% in 1997 to 1.7% in 2017, while for females it fell from 20.3% to 5.0% over the same period.

The report also said that 95,450 were illiterate in 2017 (1.7% for males, or 24,590 illiterate, compared to 5.0% for females, or 70,860 illiterate), and divided into 3.6% in the West Bank (62,736 illiterate) and 3.0% in Gaza Strip (32,714 illiterate).

The illiteracy rate among older persons aged 65 years and above was 34.6% (52,165 illiterate) in 2017. The rate was 4.5% in the 45-64 year age group (24,656 illiterate), 1.3% in the 30-44 year age group (10,068 illiterate) and 0.6% among young people aged between 15-29 years (8,561 illiterate) in the same year.

The illiteracy rate among rural localities in 2017 reached 4.8% (20,228 illiterate), while scored 3.3% in the refugee camps (7,898 illiterate) and 3.1% (67,324 illiterate) in urban areas. In 2017, the male illiteracy rate was highest in rural localities, followed by urban areas and refugee camps respectively. Female illiteracy rate was highest in rural localities, followed by refugee camps and urban areas respectively.

In 2017, the highest illiteracy rate among the Palestinian population aged 15 years and above was in Jericho and the Jordan Valley district, scoring 5.5% (1,623 illiterate), followed by Tubas and the Northern Valley district, scoring 4.7% (1,808 illiterate).

Additionally, the lowest rate was in the Jerusalem and Gaza districts with only 2.3% (5,752 illiterate in Jerusalem and 8,778 illiterate in Gaza).
The Palestinian Prime Minister, Rami Hamdallah, in response to the report by PCBS, urged support for UNRWA to help it continue with its educational programs for tens of thousands of Palestinian students.

Hamdallah said "We are proud that the illiteracy rate in Palestine in 2017 is among the lowest in the world."

He pointed out that the Palestinian government implemented many education programs for adults and opened classrooms to combat illiteracy among the adult Palestinian population.

Hamdallah wrote a Facebook post regarding the program "We have launched the National Strategy for Adult Education, which is considered the first of its kind in the Arab world, in order to lower illiteracy and achieve the two goals of education for all and education for life."
@Rancid

Palestine has the lowest illiteracy rate in the world. In other words, they have the highest literacy rate in the world.

Since I like you I had to clarify but I was hoping Zionist Nationalist would come here first and post something that completely misunderstands this topic (i.e. Palestinians are illiterate because of they're Muslims or Arabs or untermenschen or something!) and then I would reveal to him that Palestine has the lowest illiteracy rate and I would love to see him backtrack.
@colliric

Ironically, Palestine has a higher literacy rate than Israel. Palestine has an overall literacy rate of 98.4 while Israel has an overall literacy rate of 96.5. This also means that the low literacy rate can't be attributed to the Palestinian population of Israel given that Palestinians in East Jerusalem have a higher literacy rate (96.4) than the overall literacy rate of Israel.

It's nice to see something that Palestinians can be proud of.
@danholo

Dude, only recently has Palestine attained one of the highest literacy rates in the world. I don’t see how this is old news if only now Palestine has achieved a such literacy rate.

Furthermore, I don’t understand your second sentence. I don’t see how this is propaganda. It’s like saying, during the elections, Donald Trump becoming president is old news when it can’t be old news since it is happening in real time.
It is a very positive development.
Neighbouring Arab countries should take those literate Arabs in to help develop their own nations.
After all, making them literate only to have them wounded or killed during terrorist attacks is quite a waste don't you think ?
I salute @Oxymandias that he is concerned with the Arabs living in Gaza and Judea and Samaria whilst his own country Iran is on the brink of civil war and economic ruin.
:excited:
@Ter

Except that Palestine is their home. No matter how educated you become home is still home. It is better to use that intelligence to regain your own self-determination rather than submit to a colonial power. Furthermore, if you think that Arab countries by this point believe in anything resembling Arab solidarity you are unfortunately mistaken. They won’t take them in.

Civil war will happen in Iran, but it won’t happen now and Iran certainly isn’t on the brink of economic ruin. It is becoming increasingly clear to the Iranian population that self-sufficiency is absolutely necessary and there are already several projects which seek to achieve that. This is something that Western media doesn’t talk about.

Regardless of these, I don’t see how me being Iranian makes me a hypocrite for being happy that Palestinians have a high literacy rate (one higher than Israel). Palestine is an issue that is relevant to everyone within the Middle East. It is a reminder that, not only have we lost our sovereignty, but that it is still withheld from us. That there are still foreigners who influence us and seek our destruction. That is what Palestine/Israel represents.
Oxymandias wrote:@danholo

Dude, only recently has Palestine attained one of the highest literacy rates in the world. I don’t see how this is old news if only now Palestine has achieved a such literacy rate.

Ok, but it has always been high, so I'm not surprised about the news.

Furthermore, I don’t understand your second sentence. I don’t see how this is propaganda. It’s like saying, during the elections, Donald Trump becoming president is old news when it can’t be old news since it is happening in real time.

I'm saying that literacy doesn't make you immune to propaganda...
Oxymandias wrote:Except that Palestine is their home

It was their home. Not any more. Not since their grand fathers left (voluntarily or involuntarily)
You can accuse me of whataboutism as much as you like but there are millions of people in Punjaab, Bengal, Pakistan, Myanmar and other places who have lost their home and can't go back, will never go back. It is not about colonialism in most cases, every case is specific. Bengal was split into two, then later became part of Pakistan, then later became independent, and lots of properties and huge swaths of people landed in places where they do not wish to be or where they do not belong. Nobody is in solidarity with them although what happened to them was in the same time period as the establishment of Israel as a Jewish nation.
We all know why the other Arab countries do not wish to integrate the original refugees, they want to keep up the pressure.
It is now seventy years and it is not working (unless the whole of the Middle East would become a giant parking place).

Oxymandias wrote: Palestine is an issue that is relevant to everyone within the Middle East.

Yes of course, Muslims, Christian Arabs, leftists, the whole razzamataz. Because juice lol.

Oxymandias wrote:Regardless of these, I don’t see how me being Iranian makes me a hypocrite for being happy that Palestinians have a high literacy rate (one higher than Israel).

I did not call you a hypocrite, you did that yourself.
But yes, repeat ad infinitum that the Arabs in those places have a higher literacy rate than Israelis if that makes you happy. I yield that point.
But they go around in donkey carts and Israelis drive BMWs.
A waste of talent.
Ter wrote:I did not call you a hypocrite, you did that yourself.
But yes, repeat ad infinitum that the Arabs in those places have a higher literacy rate than Israelis if that makes you happy. I yield that point.
A waste of talent.

Lol.

BMWs?

You mean they drive cars from the car company who only apologised for using WW2 Jewish slave labour only in 2016 once they safely couldn't be directly sued for it anymore?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... urers.html

Lol. That's hilarious!

Should Volvo, the traditional Hasidic/Ultra-Orthodox car company, be worried yet?
Last edited by colliric on 15 Sep 2018 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
:lol: at zionist-envy ITT.

Even though Israel repeatedly destroys Palestinian schools, the children continue to learn. 8)

Ter wrote:It was their home. Not any more. Not since their grand fathers left (voluntarily or involuntarily)

lol, yes it is still their home. They still live there. Millions of them. Even if it is under foreign brutality.
@Ter

It was their home. Not any more. Not since their grand fathers left (voluntarily or involuntarily)

I have no idea what you're talking about. Their great grandfathers are still there.

You can accuse me of whataboutism as much as you like but there are millions of people in Punjaab, Bengal, Pakistan, Myanmar and other places who have lost their home and can't go back, will never go back. It is not about colonialism in most cases, every case is specific. Bengal was split into two, then later became part of Pakistan, then later became independent, and lots of properties and huge swaths of people landed in places where they do not wish to be or where they do not belong. Nobody is in solidarity with them although what happened to them was in the same time period as the establishment of Israel as a Jewish nation.
We all know why the other Arab countries do not wish to integrate the original refugees, they want to keep up the pressure.
It is now seventy years and it is not working (unless the whole of the Middle East would become a giant parking place

In the case of Israel it is colonialism. Furthermore, pretty much every single citizen in the Middle East is in solidarity with them. Although it doesn't matter, given that Israel is unsustainable as a nation.

Arab countries don't let them in due to the pressures they would have on their own populations, not because of trying to pressure Israel. European countries are relatively stable and they themselves have trouble with refugees. Arab countries are infamously unstable. They can't even find ways to employ their own citizens let alone refugees.

Yes of course, Muslims, Christian Arabs, leftists, the whole razzamataz. Because juice lol.

Except that it isn't due to Jews. Israel is perfectly justified in Islam. It is a political issue and it is one disconnected from religion. ISIS themselves don't directly oppose Israel as well.

Furthermore, a vast majority of those opposing Israel in the Middle East are conservatives so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I did not call you a hypocrite, you did that yourself.
A waste of talent.

I don't see how pointing out I'm Iranian glad that Palestinians have a high literacy rate is anything but a claim that I am being hypocritical. Unless you can iterate on exactly what you meant by that statement, that will be my assumption.

I didn't repeat it ad infinitum. The fact that you perceive as such shows that you are quite unhappy that a country has a high literacy rate. I guess the dumber they are the more easy they are control. Of course this didn't work for the Jews under Babylon and it won't work for the Palestinians under Israel.

Israel doesn't even let them import food why the fuck would they let them import BMWs?

Lol.

BMWs?

You mean they drive cars from the car company who only apologised for using WW2 Jewish slave labour only in 2016 once they safely couldn't be directly sued for it anymore?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... urers.html

Lol. That's hilarious!

Should Volvo, the traditional Hasidic/Ultra-Orthodox car company, be worried yet?

He's saying that they can't afford to buy cars as if what you drive determines your wealth as a human being. This goes to show where @Ter's priorities and values lie.

Israel won't comply because one of their explicit[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]

People tend to forget that the French now have a […]

It is easy to tell the tunnel was made of pre fab[…]