France fuel protests: Macron drives ahead amid unrest - Page 16 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Patrickov wrote:Unless there are mass death of people, military intervention, Macron being lynched... etc.

As long as no one (including the protesters themselves) is losing their ground, I call it a stalemate. It doesn't has to be a quiet one if you are at the venue, but I am using that term from an outsider's perspective.
This isn't a soccer game or gladiatorial bout, Patrickov (are you not entertained?). A legislative body doesn't enter the political arena with nothing to lose. Citizens, on the other hand, grain ground by protesting or politicizing social-economic conditions/grievances. When the Gov of France has to deal with social unrest (a socioeconomic emergency), the country loses ground. That's the score... Moreover, the French people gained a wage increase and some form of tax relief.

Macron Promises Minimum Wage Hike And Tax Cuts To End 'Yellow Vest' Protests (https://www.npr.org/2018/12/10/67542515 ... t-protests)

Again, minimal news coverage is a solution, it's damage control, or an attempt to calm the noosphere (don't give the people more ideas). Extra news coverage is also a solution, it's noospheric expansion, or an attempt to rile the noosphere (give people more ideas). Mediasphere activities are systemic events that filter the noospheric system (sum of all interpersonal relationships). If a protest is fire, media is smoke. Hence the smoke signals via social media.

Lastly, Macron's "grand debate" is the stalemate the state needs to curb yellow vest enthusiasm. It's not a stalemate if people are in the streets, disrupting business as usual.
Patrickov wrote:Unless there are mass death of people, military intervention, Macron being lynched... etc.

As long as no one (including the protesters themselves) is losing their ground, I call it a stalemate. It doesn't has to be a quiet one if you are at the venue, but I am using that term from an outsider's perspective.

I think you're being a lot too simplistic.

An analogy, way back in say 1954 GM is struck by the UAW. The strike enters its 3rd week. Nothing much seems to be happening. So, in your simplistic view, it is a stalemate. A more nuanced view is it is a test to see who has the deepest pockets or who blinks 1st. The situation in France is like that. I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to see how each side is weakening or strengthening. But, I'm pretty sure those things are happening behind the scenes.
This has been going on for months now. I suspect it's going to be a long hot summer. Frankly, I'm surprised that the popularity of the movement throughout Europe seems to engender so little discussion online. It makes me wonder if some people are just paid trolls for the deep state.
blackjack21 wrote:This has been going on for months now. I suspect it's going to be a long hot summer. Frankly, I'm surprised that the popularity of the movement throughout Europe seems to engender so little discussion online. It makes me wonder if some people are just paid trolls for the deep state.

I will be very pleased if someone pays me to reassert what I believe.

Frankly, had I been a paid troll I would have striven to make myself at least look fair and professional. Trolling on a enthusiast forum, in contrast to common forums, requires different engineering, because enthusiasts do not mind continuously attacking whatever or whoever threatening them. Making one's master shunned means one does not worth the money.
Patrickov wrote:Frankly, had I been a paid troll I would have striven to make myself at least look fair and professional. Trolling on a enthusiast forum, in contrast to common forums, requires different engineering, because enthusiasts do not mind continuously attacking whatever or whoever threatening them. Making one's master shunned means one does not worth the money.

Well, it's sort of weird. A lot of people here purport to be essentially communists or virulent anti-capitalists. I'm actually pro-capitalist, but I think the capitalist establishment needs a good ass kicking. I find it absolutely humorous that the capitalist establishment of France is getting its ass kicked, and none of the anti-capitalists or communists here are particularly interested at all. Yet, they seem to love the horseshit gender bender bullshit served up by capitalists in the US.

10 people have died over 12 weeks of Gilets Jaunes protests. People have had their eyes put out by rubber bullets fired indiscriminately by police--it's not that they had it coming per se. One person had his hand taken off by an exploding charge fired by police. Yet, there are figurative crickets on this forum.

If a single person dies in the United States--although they usually have to be black--from police activity, or if the police mishandle any situation in the United States, we are treated to weeks of debate. As Americans, we are frequently lectured about how European police don't do this, and yet here we are seeing weekend after weekend of excessive force by French police, the American media suppressing reports, and the people here who would go batshit crazy if a fat black man with asthma died in police custody because his own weight was crushing his lungs are mostly silent.

If these people are paid trolls, I wonder if they realize how counter productive their efforts have been.
blackjack21 wrote:If a single person dies in the United States--although they usually have to be black--from police activity, or if the police mishandle any situation in the United States, we are treated to weeks of debate. As Americans, we are frequently lectured about how European police don't do this, and yet here we are seeing weekend after weekend of excessive force by French police, the American media suppressing reports, and the people here who would go batshit crazy if a fat black man with asthma died in police custody because his own weight was crushing his lungs are mostly silent.

Well, this is no surprise. Americans tend to romanticize Europe. Thus, nothing can be wrong there.
blackjack21 wrote:10 people have died over 12 weeks of Gilets Jaunes protests. People have had their eyes put out by rubber bullets fired indiscriminately by police--it's not that they had it coming per se. One person had his hand taken off by an exploding charge fired by police. Yet, there are figurative crickets on this forum.

The deaths were not due to police violence. The injuries caused by flash balls (not rubber bullets!) and grenades (!) are gruesome though. No idea how the French government gets away with this shit.
Rugoz wrote:The deaths were not due to police violence. The injuries caused by flash balls (not rubber bullets!) and grenades (!) are gruesome though. No idea how the French government gets away with this shit.

It must be because the people care so much if some people get injured while rioting unpeacefully for such a long period of time. 11 or 12 weeks and they still fucking care!
blackjack21 wrote:Frankly, I'm surprised that the popularity of the movement throughout Europe seems to engender so little discussion online. It makes me wonder if some people are just paid trolls for the deep state.

I've seen quite a bit of discussion, mainly UK based, but I don't think many expect any meaningful change to come from this. Macron will just sit it out.

It still amuses me that the darling of the establishment and saviour of Europe is facing sustained protests and riots on the streets. I think his approval rating is now around 20%. Not entirely surprising, but another instance of very poor judgement by media and pundits.
skinster wrote:I know. We need to regime change the....regime and bring democracy to France. We have a responsibility to protect the French people!

I'm totally positive that my telling them this is the only way forward for the last few to several weeks is NOT the reason they decided to call for Frexit.
I doubt even one protester ever saw my posts.
Finally they demand the only demand that can help them given France stays within the EU rules.
I don't know who this site is ---

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190303/fresh- ... ests-march

"Yellow vest" protesters marched in cities across France for a 16th straight week on Saturday in a bid to keep up pressure on French President Emmanuel Macron in demonstrations again marred by vandalism and violence.
In Paris, a man was reportedly hit in the face by a rubber bullet fired by a controversial riot control weapon, while in the southwestern city of Bordeaux an MP accused police of assaulting him.
. . . About 39,300 people protested nationwide, including 4,000 in Paris, according to the interior ministry -- down on the 46,600 turnout announced the previous weekend.
. . . The official figures are regularly disputed by protest organisers, who argue the government is trying to portray the movement as losing support. ..."

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190306/un-dem ... llow-vests
"The UN human rights chief called Wednesday for a "full investigation" into the possible excessive use of force by French police during the "yellow vest" demonstrations.
"The 'Gilets Jaunes' (yellow vests) have been protesting what they see as exclusion from economic rights and participation in public affairs," rights chief Michelle Bachelet said in her annual address to the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva. "
"We encourage the government to continue dialogue - including follow-up to the national discussions which are currently underway - and urge full investigation of all reported cases of excessive use of force".
. . . "Yellow vest demonstrations have taken place across France since November.
. . . The protests began over fuel taxes but mushroomed into a revolt by people in rural and small-town France against President Emmanuel Macron's policies.
. . . The IGPN, the body that investigates police abuses, has launched more than 100 investigations into the conduct of officers during the protests. ..."
Atlantis wrote:@skinster, congratulations for supporting fascists who are determined to derail measures against climate change. Trump sends his regards.

But it's all for the greater good. The protests draw votes from the far-right and far-left and strengthen Macron. :up:

These are not fascists but people who are sick of the liberal globalist policies
You are the real fascists the so called "liberals" that shut mouth of everybody who disagrees with them in the name of "Political correctness" or some other kind of bullshit
Macron is a horrible president he is a globalist elitist completely detached from his people he should be overthrown most people in France despise him

trolololol
https://www.thelocal.fr/20190306/un-dem ... llow-vests
It's Saturday. You know what that means: watching the Gilets Jaunes in Paris. Apparently, the left wing black bloc folks came out to the Gilets Jaunes protests today and started setting fires. So things got a little rockier.

Yellow vest protests: Violence returns to streets of Paris
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]