AMLO wins in Mehico. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By skinster
Mexico: Oaxaca's New Mayor Murdered After Inauguration
Just an hour and a half after being officially sworn in on Tuesday, the new mayor of Tlaxiaco, in Mexico's southern state of Oaxaca, has been shot dead on the street

Alejandro Aparicio Santiago, a former local representative and member of the National Regeneration Movement (Morena) led by center-left President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, was walking with representative Perfecto Hernandez and councillor Cleotilde Santos when at least two people started shooting at them at noon. Five people were injured, including the politicians and three other people as yet unidentified. Aparicio Santiago later died in hospital.

The governor of Oaxaca, Alejandro Murat, condemned the attack and said state prosecutors informed him that “the possible author of the homicide” has been arrested. Local news sites report that bystanders caught one of the shooters and were about to lynch the attacker before police stopped them.

Aparicio had been elected to serve as the mayor of Tlaxiaco between 2019 and 2021.

On Sunday, another Morena politian, elected councilwoman Maria Ascension Cruz Torres, was killed by a gunman in Mazatepec, in the state of Morelos. She was about to attend the swearing-in ceremony.

Before the murder of Aparicio, the consulting firm Etellekt, specializing in risks, political violence and public policies, reported that at least six authorities elected in the July 1 general elections were killed before taking office. Four of them belonged to Morena, one to the Democratic Revolution Party (PRD) and one to the Ecologist Green Party of Mexico (PVEM).

According to the firm, 175 politicians were murdered between September 2017 and August 2018 in Mexico. Of the total 850 attacks registered, 81 percent were against opposition party members.

Etellekt registered a record number of attacks during the past electoral process, with 48 candidates and precandidates murdered.
https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Mex ... WO9Ve0Ingc
By Verv
(From the article)

skinster wrote:According to the firm, 175 politicians were murdered between September 2017 and August 2018 in Mexico. Of the total 850 attacks registered, 81 percent were against opposition party members.

Those are really amazing numbers, even considering that the bulk of these are probably just local, non-famous politicians. I wonder what amount of this has to do with the narcotics trade exclusively.

It reminds me of some government report that was making waves in around 2010 where the CIA had stated that the two nations most likely to become failed states facing Civil War imminently were Mexico & Pakistan. I remember it surprising me at the time.
Verv wrote:(From the article)
Those are really amazing numbers, even considering that the bulk of these are probably just local, non-famous politicians. I wonder what amount of this has to do with the narcotics trade exclusively.

It reminds me of some government report that was making waves in around 2010 where the CIA had stated that the two nations most likely to become failed states facing Civil War imminently were Mexico & Pakistan. I remember it surprising me at the time.

It's a Narco state RUN BY THE CARTELS. They are expected numbers, as this is how the cartels deal with opposition.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting: https://jackrasmus.com/2024/04/23/u[…]

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]