Second Child dies while under ICE/border guard control [title fixed] - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

From the NY Times:

A Guatemalan boy who died on Christmas Eve while in United States custody was moved among at least four crowded facilities at the border over the six days from his apprehension until his death.

That chronology, provided by government officials, underscores how stretched the facilities and their staff are in handling the surge of Central American families reaching the southwest border, particularly minors.

Kirstjen M. Nielsen, the secretary of homeland security, acknowledged on Wednesday that the “dramatic increase” had pushed the system to “a breaking point.”

She said she had ordered her agency to bolster medical screenings of children at the southwest border and had enlisted the medical corps of the United States Coast Guard to assist. The secretary also said that she would travel to the border this week to personally observe the screenings.

“Moving forward, all children will receive a more thorough hands-on assessment at the earliest possible time post-apprehension — whether or not the accompanying adult has asked for one,” Ms. Nielsen said in a statement.

Most of the circumstances surrounding the boy’s death remain unknown. It is not clear whether his health deteriorated because of neglect by personnel in the facilities, the perilous journey, or a combination of these factors.

“This crisis is exacerbated by the increase in persons who are entering our custody suffering from severe respiratory illnesses or exhibit some other illness upon apprehension,” Ms. Nielsen said. “Given the remote locations of their illegal crossing and the lack of resources, it is even more difficult for our personnel to be first responders.”

The secretary placed the blame on an immigration system that she said rewarded parents for sending their children to cross the border alone and brought few consequences for parents who bring their children with them into the country. “Our system has been pushed to a breaking point by those who seek open borders,” she said. “Smugglers, traffickers, and their own parents put these minors at risk by embarking on the dangerous and arduous journey north.”

She said that until the two deaths, of the 8-year-old Guatemalan boy late on Dec. 24 and a 7-year-old Guatemalan girl earlier this month, it had been more than a decade since a child had died in custody at the border.

Democratic lawmakers pushed back on Wednesday. Representative Nancy Pelosi, the speaker-designate of the House, deemed the death of two children in United States custody “unconscionable” and called on Congress to investigate.

Representative Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, the incoming chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said, “There is no question that the system is not working.” Mr. Thompson said he would immediately call department officials to testify after he takes up the committee gavel in January.

The boy, who had entered the United States with his father, was identified by Guatemalan authorities as Felipe Gomez Alonso. Nearly three weeks earlier, Jakelin Caal Maquin, also traveling with her father, died in Border Patrol custody.

Some 2,100 migrants have been arriving daily at the southwest border. All told, nearly 60 percent of them are families and minors traveling alone. Last month, federal agents arrested a record 25,172 families, most of whom were fleeing violence and poverty.

After the two deaths and amid an apparent spread of illnesses, American officials have requested the help of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate a spike in the number of migrants arriving sick at the border.

“We’re doing dozens of hospital trips every day with children that have fevers or manifest other medical conditions,” said Kevin K. McAleenan, the commissioner for Customs and Border Protection, the Homeland Security agency responsible for detaining and processing the arriving migrants.

“We need to budget for medical care and mental-health care for children in our facilities,” Mr. McAleenan said on CBS This Morning on Wednesday.

Border facilities, where migrants are held after being intercepted by federal agents or after being processed at a port of entry, were “not built for that group that’s crossing today,” he said. “They were built 30, 40 years ago for single adult males and we had a different approach.”

Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which receives migrants discharged from border facilities, has itself been struggling to find enough space in family detention centers and other shelters in the interior of the country because they are at nearly full capacity. ICE has dropped off hundreds of migrants in El Paso in recent days, and advocates said that they had been notified that another 500 or more would be released there and in Las Cruces, N.M., late on Wednesday.

The American Association of Pediatrics recommended in a report last year that children not be detained in the border facilities commonly known as “hieleras,” Spanish for “iceboxes,” because of the typically low temperature inside. Lights are always on, everyone sleeps on mats on the ground and the only covers available are Mylar sheets, according to migrants who have been held there.

“The conditions might make children ill or make their conditions worse, if they are already ill,” said Colleen Kraft, president of the association.

In an interview, Dr. Kraft said that the detention facilities conduct no systematic screening beyond recognizing when a child is obviously sick. An academy report published last year said that children were checked for lice, scabies and chickenpox during cursory screenings.

Federal authorities said that both emergency medical technicians and paramedics have started conducting interviews of minors and adults to assess current medical complaints and get their medical histories.

Dr. Kraft said that she was encouraged that Mr. McAleenan, the commissioner, had contacted her to discuss possible collaboration, and that her association had offered to recruit a team of pediatricians to train border agents to identify when children are unwell.

“What we are asking for is to have pediatric expertise available to train medical personnel, monitor conditions in the facilities and be part of the accountability for caring for these children,” said Dr. Kraft. “A child in early stages of severe illness has subtle findings. It takes someone with trained pediatric experience to recognize these signs.”

Democratic lawmakers and immigrant advocates blamed the recent deaths and the increase in migrants who fall ill on a Trump administration policy known as “metering,” which limits the number of asylum-seekers allowed into the country each day through an official entry point.

For instance, immigration authorities at the San Ysidro border crossing, near San Diego, have said they can process about 100 migrants each day, though rates have dipped as low as 40 a day. To avoid the long wait times, which can extend months, some migrants take circuitous routes to reach the border and cross between ports of entry, sometimes in remote areas.

“The administration’s policy of turning people away from legal ports of entry, otherwise known as metering, is putting families and children in greater danger,” said Joaquin Castro, a Texas Democrat who is chairman-elect of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

Michelle Brané, director of migrant rights and justice at the Women’s Refugee Commission, said, “As long as C.B.P. continues to refuse people access to ports of entry and drive people into dangerous situations, children’s health is at risk.”

Customs and Border Protection officials on Wednesday outlined a series of steps they plan to take in the aftermath of the deaths of the two children, including securing help from ICE to alleviate capacity issues that have kept migrants in its facilities for extended time.

But the swelling number of families and unaccompanied minors has also stressed that agency’s capacity to transport and house migrants inside the country.

Authorities aim to keep children in border facilities only temporarily, ideally three days, and not more than 20 days in residential centers run by ICE in the interior of the country.

At the border, they are not bound by a firm 72-hour deadline to transfer children but must still do so “as expeditiously as possible,” said Carlos Holguin, the lawyer who represents minor children in a legal accord that limits their time in detention.

On Wednesday, federal authorities provided new details about Felipe’s final days, during which he was shuttled with his father from facility to facility before his death.

Felipe was arrested with his father around 1 p.m. on Dec. 18, just three miles from the Paso Del Norte Port of Entry in El Paso. They were returned to the entry point late that afternoon.

Two days later, on Dec. 20, they were transported to the El Paso Border Patrol Station, where they showered and received food, juice and water. Because of crowding there, they were transported yet again, to a Border Patrol station in Alamogordo, N.M., around midnight on Saturday.

On Monday morning, an agent noticed that Felipe was coughing and that his eyes seemed “glossy.” About 30 minutes later, he was taken, with his father, to the Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center.

Hospital workers diagnosed Felipe with a cold and gave him Tylenol, but held him for observation after determining that he had a 103-degree fever. They released him with prescriptions for antibiotics and Ibuprofen that afternoon.
Felipe and his father were taken to a “temporary holding” facility, according to authorities, at a highway checkpoint, and border agents gave the child medication at about 5 p.m. Two hours later, he vomited, but his father declined medical assistance when Felipe appeared to be better. That account could not be corroborated by Felipe’s father.

Around 10 p.m. on Dec. 24, Felipe was lethargic and nauseated again, so agents took him again to the hospital. En route, he vomited and fainted. On arrival, hospital staff were unable to revive him, and declared him dead just before midnight. The authorities previously said that Felipe died early Tuesday.

The father and son, according to a spokeswoman for the Guatemalan foreign ministry, are from Nentón, a rural municipality near the Mexican border in Huehuetenango. The impoverished province sends more migrants than any other to the United States.

The family has asked for the boy’s body to be returned to Guatemala after an autopsy is performed, and the foreign ministry will ask for a formal investigation by the immigration authorities and the hospital. The foreign ministry has been in contact with the boy’s mother and a sister.

Another child is dead and I'm sure conservatives everywhere are celebrating. America is great again. Thank you Jesus, for President Trump.
Some stupid and not realizable Ämerican Dream is not worth a single child's life. But at the same time? The conditions in their home nations are not ideal in the least. Only desperate people try that journey. The solution is to pressure the governments they come from to do something about their situation and spend money not on all this shit about detention and patrolling but on building homes, hospitals, and educating the parents so they can get and find and keep stable jobs for their family. Development that is sustainable for people in the CA region. Period. BUT NO>>>>>rather spend on all this shit detention.

No parent should risk their child's life on some fool's journey in the USA at this time. It is not worth it. Just not. I would rather live in Mexico if I were in their shoes and get a job in Mexico or sell stuff in some stall for food money and know my kid is still alive. They need to start thinking about how STUPID the pursuing of an American Dream is for a nation filled with total racist haters.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Another child is dead and I'm sure conservatives everywhere are celebrating. America is great again. Thank you Jesus, for President Trump.

You should be ashamed of yourself for making such an outlandish claim. Conservatives do not celebrate the death of children. The liberals are not willing to compromise to make the immigration laws better. These two children's death is more proof that we need a border wall to discourage parents from bringing children on a 2,000 mile trek that endangers their safety. Is the United States expected to be the foster parent of the world's children now?
The death of this child is the greatest victory conservative thought has ever achieved and you should be proud. This is exactly the kind of dehumanization and terror that Trump promised to inflict on immigrants on the campaign trail and exactly what people like Steve Miller want.

I mean, I thought Trump was supposed to be a big tough guy who was going to go after terrorists' (all immigrants are MS-13 and therefore terrorists) families. He successfully delivered on his campaign promise. It is time we give the president credit for delivering on his promises.

Hindsite wrote:Is the United States expected to be the foster parent of the world's children now?

No. I thought it was pretty clear from the thread that we're the executioner of the world's children.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Another child is dead and I'm sure conservatives everywhere are celebrating. America is great again. Thank you Jesus, for President Trump.

It's no safer outside of detention facilities than it is inside detention facilities. Corporal Ronil Singh, a lawful immigrant and police officer, was killed by an illegal alien. So look on the bright side, SpecialOlympian. At least they won't be killing people in the US now.

Suspect in fatal California cop shooting is in US illegally, authorities say
The suspect sought in connection with the murder of a California cop earlier this week is in the U.S. illegally, authorities revealed on Thursday.

The unidentified man alleged to be behind the slaying of Newman police Cpl. Ronil Singh, 33, “is considered armed and dangerous,” Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson said during a news conference on Thursday afternoon, vowing that the manhunt would “relentlessly continue.”

Tainari88 wrote:No parent should risk their child's life on some fool's journey in the USA at this time. It is not worth it. Just not.

Look at you! Making perfect sense!
Hindsite wrote:You thought wrong again. It appears they died from the flu, but no autopsy has been done as far as I have heard.

ICE is lying about the father denying medical assistance because apparently he didn't want his child with a 103° fever to receive further treatment. I think they should stop hiding their light under a bushel and take credit for how they bravely defeated a future MS-13 terrorist.

blackjack21 wrote:It's no safer outside of detention facilities than it is inside detention facilities.

That's obviously not true. ICE killed two children this month. I wonder how many children they will kill in January.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Couldn't even hide your conservative bloodlust for a single page. Pathetic.

You couldn't hide your liberal bias. It is easily apparent by you miss-identifying the Border Patrol agents as ICE agents.

How about this for real murder:

Police Hunt Illegal Alien Still At Large After Murder of Calif. Officer

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/27/us/suspe ... index.html
SpecialOlympian wrote:That's obviously not true. ICE killed two children this month. I wonder how many children they will kill in January.

Just because they died in detention doesn't mean that ICE killed them. Your hallucinations are not an approximation of reality.

Also, just a tip: the election is over, so the Democrats are no longer pretending to care about detainees.
I think it is great when the liberal lunatics make these absurd accusations. No better evidence for rational people to abandon them and to see the falseness in their claims.
blackjack21 wrote:Just because they died in detention doesn't mean that ICE killed them.

ICE purposely denied a child medical attention and murdered him. I'm sorry that seeing your ideology play out in real life isn't the fun ride you thought it would be. I don't get why you're surprised that you got what you voted for but apparently you have trouble with cause and effect or something???????

Hindsite wrote:You couldn't hide your liberal bias.

Oh no, my liberal bias is showing. This is really embarrassing for me, the guy standing next to the sociopath cheering on the cold blooded murder of a child.
SpecialOlympian wrote:ICE purposely denied a child medical attention and murdered him.

How do you know that the ICE agents in question weren't black? That could make the difference in your mind to withhold your false allegation. The fake news from the New York Times says the boy was not murdered and medical treatment was not withheld--suggesting that you are simply trolling people to try to get an emotional response, even though you probably already know that your allegation is false.

8-Year-Old Migrant Child From Guatemala Dies in U.S. Custody

The boy, who has not been named, died just after midnight on Tuesday at a hospital in Alamogordo, N.M., where he and his father had been taken after a Border Patrol agent saw what appeared to be signs of sickness, according to United States Customs and Border Protection.

ICE agents are not medical doctors. That's why it is a good idea to remain free instead of crossing the US border illegally and getting detained in overcrowded facilities staffed by people who are not medical doctors. At any rate, your claim appears to be fake since fake news New York Times directly contradicts your assertion. Are you lying, or are you incapable of distinguishing fantasy from reality due to hallucinogenic drugs?

It is possible the boy was allergic to the antibiotic (amoxicillin) he was given. It could also be an overdose, which in such a small child could cause serious complications. It could be that he died because he was given medical care rather than because it was denied as you falsely asserted if we are to believe the New York Times. Either way, it appears that ICE acted appropriately under the circumstances.

He was held at the hospital for an additional 90 minutes for observation and then released on Monday afternoon with prescriptions for amoxicillin, a commonly prescribed antibiotic, and ibuprofen, which is often used for relieving pain and reducing fever.

On Monday night, however, the boy grew nauseated and vomited, prompting border authorities to take him back to the hospital, where he died.

The cause of death is not known, but an internal review will be conducted, according to the agency, which said it had notified the government of Guatemala.

SpecialOlympian wrote:I'm sorry that seeing your ideology play out in real life isn't the fun ride you thought it would be.

I'm feeling just fine, because I presume the ICE agents are innocent of the wrongful and irresponsible charges you made against them in furtherance of your dislike of Donald Trump.

SpecialOlympian wrote:I don't get why you're surprised that you got what you voted for but apparently you have trouble with cause and effect or something???

I haven't gotten what I voted for, because I want a wall so they cannot come in. I am very glad that Trump is fine with a partial government shut down.

MAGA :rockon:
Oxymandias wrote:These are children. They didn't make the decision to go to the US, why should they be killed?

The children were not killed. That is all fake news stuff. The children died of the flu. A woman reporter in her twenties also recently died of swine flu. It is something that happens, especially when a person's immune system is weak.

Military physicians who lost son, 4, to flu urge others to get vaccinated

Two Air Force physicians who lost their 4-year-old son to complications of the flu last Christmas Eve are hoping their #FluShotsforLeon campaign helps others understand the importance of getting vaccinated against the flu. Laura Sidari, Leon’s mother, said that he was scheduled to get the shot two weeks after his death, as she had delayed it to coincide with his wellness visit.

“As a mother, I wish I had fully appreciated the risk of the flu to my healthy child,” she wrote in a lengthy Facebook post on Oct. 6. “I had delayed his shot to align with a well-child visit later in the season, which he did not survive to attend. I now intimately understand why the medical community overwhelmingly recommends the annual influenza vaccine for everyone over the age of 6 months.”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/military ... vaccinated
Hindsite wrote:The children were not killed. That is all fake news stuff. The children died of the flu. A woman reporter in her twenties also recently died of swine flu. It is something that happens, especially when a person's immune system is weak.

Military physicians who lost son, 4, to flu urge others to get vaccinated

Two Air Force physicians who lost their 4-year-old son to complications of the flu last Christmas Eve are hoping their #FluShotsforLeon campaign helps others understand the importance of getting vaccinated against the flu. Laura Sidari, Leon’s mother, said that he was scheduled to get the shot two weeks after his death, as she had delayed it to coincide with his wellness visit.

“As a mother, I wish I had fully appreciated the risk of the flu to my healthy child,” she wrote in a lengthy Facebook post on Oct. 6. “I had delayed his shot to align with a well-child visit later in the season, which he did not survive to attend. I now intimately understand why the medical community overwhelmingly recommends the annual influenza vaccine for everyone over the age of 6 months.”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/military ... vaccinated

Aww... If only we had a president that believed in vaccines and was not a complete ignorant of facts...
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUFCE5Kq9ew

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous[…]

Anomie: in societies or individuals, a conditi[…]

@FiveofSwords " black " Genetically[…]