Julian Assange arrested in London - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Patrickov wrote:It's wrenching to see how the world wants to rally a single person who somehow opened the Pandora's Box unnecessarily, yet ignore the plight of up to 7 million people, who are under threat of persecution by their "Central Government" just because they like freedom more than it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... dition-law

I don't ignore it. I actively support any and all efforts to overthrow the Communist Party. I support the Kuomintang Party in Taiwan and I have stated so many times. I would have liked for you to post that news in my Tiananmen Square commemoration thread.
colliric wrote:I don't ignore it. I actively support any and all efforts to overthrow the Communist Party. I support the Kuomintang Party in Taiwan and I have stated so many times. I would have liked for you to post that news in my Tiananmen Square commemoration thread.

You don't ignore it but most Assange supporters do. The main reason is that Assange is effectively anti-West while Hongkongers are pro-West. They probably think we are servants to Imperialist and do not deserve sympathy.

Mind you, I am not really going to oppose that move by HK Government. Even though there's good possibility that I will perish myself as well, the world usually doesn't wake up until apocalypse actually happens, just like how Nazis weren't defeated until they actually started attacking the world.

If war is inevitable so be it.
Patrickov wrote:It's wrenching to see how the world wants to rally a single person who somehow opened the Pandora's Box unnecessarily,

"Unnecessarily" is a claim by the ruling classes; those whose interests were - and still are - jeopardised by those revelations. Whilst the majority of the people on the earth have their interests in such openings; as those information concerns them, hence they should know exactly what's going on behind the thick, dark political & military curtains.

Patrickov wrote:yet ignore the plight of up to 7 million people, who are under threat of persecution by their "Central Government" just because they like freedom more than it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... dition-law

Who's ignoring...? It's in the news across the mainstream medias. We hear them, and of course we care. We sympathise and are in solidarity with the human rights activists, and those struggling for their democratic rights. Their fate however, with regards to the achievement of those demands and goals; ultimately should be determined by the people of Hong Kong. It's the same case for every country, under the current world political - economic conditions.
Stardust wrote:Who's ignoring...? It's in the news across the mainstream medias. We hear them, and of course we care. We sympathise and are in solidarity with the human rights activists, and those struggling for their democratic rights. Their fate however, with regards to the achievement of those demands and goals; ultimately should be determined by the people of Hong Kong. It's the same case for every country, under the current world political - economic conditions.

The problem is, the CCP is far too powerful that, resistance seems very futile unless some other force defeat them immediately.

If the West, as rumoured, withdraws the visa-free treatment of HKSAR passports, as well as withdraw their investments, after the bill's passage, the economy of Hong Kong is surely going to collapse, and ordinary people like us are more likely starve to submission or death, as we have no chance to "escape" now. Of course, as I didn't renew my BN(O), I don't blame anyone.

It seems dire, but I suspect the ordinary Chinese people are actually very eager to see Hong Kong fall, as by then they can claim the place for good. Because of recent history turmoil, their national pride trumps everything.

In any case, I will follow my family on the streets. It's just that we don't just lay down and die, but remember that your argument is, to me, just an excuse of inaction.

----

Back to the topic, I think Assange and WikiLeaks missed / drew away the focus and only made the world worse. After the leaks the reactionaries seemed to gain force in response.
Patrickov wrote:The problem is, the CCP is far too powerful that, resistance seems very futile unless some other force defeat them immediately.

If by 'some other force' you're referring to an external intervention, such as those which took place in the middle-east not long ago; I disagree. Such interference as I'd prefer to call them, are normally done for gaining interests by those who undertake the acts. No matter how they try to hide their real motives or what they call their operations; as the matter of the conflicts of the interests - in the general terms - between the people everywhere, and those powerful establishments in the west; such interventions always benefit one side of the spectrum, and works out to the disadvantage of the other (to say the least).

Patrickov wrote:If the West, as rumoured, withdraws the visa-free treatment of HKSAR passports, as well as withdraw their investments, after the bill's passage, the economy of Hong Kong is surely going to collapse, and ordinary people like us are more likely starve to submission or death, as we have no chance to "escape" now. Of course, as I didn't renew my BN(O), I don't blame anyone.

So, you do acknowledge that the west doesn't have the interests of Chinese / Hong-kong ordinary people in its political agenda.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the BNO. How did it work for you while still valid?

Patrickov wrote:It seems dire, but I suspect the ordinary Chinese people are actually very eager to see Hong Kong fall, as by then they can claim the place for good. Because of recent history turmoil, their national pride trumps everything.

Perhaps it's not my place to judge this scenario, but I do believe if a nation wishes to gain its independence, due to being mistreated by the central authorities; their demands should be noted and respected by both; the authorities, and the rest of the people.

Patrickov wrote:In any case, I will follow my family on the streets. It's just that we don't just lay down and die, but remember that your argument is, to me, just an excuse of inaction.

That's not so Patrickov. I've already explained my position on this subject. But please let me know, in your view what people like us, in the western societies are expected to do about the current issues of Hong-Kong?

----

Patrickov wrote:Back to the topic, I think Assange and WikiLeaks missed / drew away the focus and only made the world worse. After the leaks the reactionaries seemed to gain force in response.

Again, this is just a baseless claim by you. Assange and WikiLeaks have done the world populations a great service by revealing the information - the truth - as it precisely concerns them, their liberties and lives.

'The reactionaries' have increased their pressures against the journalists, and have done more harm to the people's basic democratic rights, in the recent months; but only as the result of the existing economic-political-social order in the world, and the issues and conflicts created by it. The case of Assange and WikiLeaks were used just as an excuse, a scapegoat we may call it; and definitely not the cause of these measures.

Also, what you're saying about 'After the leaks the reactionaries seemed to gain force in response.' is like claiming that people in Hong-Kong should presently stay at home and keep silent about the new suppressing measures taken by the government against them, because otherwise they will receive even further pressures - such as the increase of the security measures, arresting, etc. as punishment for their actions. And that - I assume you would agree with me on this - wouldn't be a valid argument.

Dear friends,

JADC - Julian Assange Defence Committee - is organising a demonstration in London Wednesday the 12th June at 5pm outside Australia House to highlight the plight of Julian Assange at a time when William Hague and Alexander Downer are speaking at official dinner about "an insider's view on current affairs", and protesting at US persecution, making Australia accountable for their role. Here is the link to the dinner: http://britain-australia.org.uk/events/ ... rs-dinner/ .

Join us in this wonderful street action, the address is: Australian High Commission, Australia House, Strand, London WC2B 4LA.

Thank you!

The US Department of Justice is preparing to file additional charges against the WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange on top of the 18 charges under the Espionage Act already brought against him potentially carrying 175 years imprisonment. The charges will be revealed during the 3rd extradition hearing this Friday 14th of June.

Join the protest organised by JADC in support of Julian Assange at this Hearing outside Westminster Magistrates Court, 181 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5BR from 9am in the morning. The nearest tube station is Edgware Road (on District and Circle Lines) or Marylebone (Bakerloo Line).

The proceedings will take place via video link at Court 3, which only has 10 seats available at the public gallery.

Thank you!
This Week's Action - By JADC

We shall be lobbying the Constituent Labour Party on Wednesday 19th of June 2019 in support of Julian Assange the publisher of WikiLeaks. We will be distributing a copy of an open letter to CLP members urging them to pass a resolution in defence of Julian Assange. Join this wonderful midweek action!

Day: This Wednesday June 19
Time: 7pm for a 7.45pm meeting start
Address: St George’s and All Saints Church, Crayford Rd, N7 0ND

JADC.jpg
JADC.jpg (240.61 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
In Defense of Julian Assange

Edited by TARIQ ALI and MARGARET KUNSTLER

About the book:

After being forcibly removed from the Ecuadorian Embassy, Julian Assange is now in a high security prison in London where he faces extradition to the United States and imprisonment for the rest of his life.

The charges Assange faces are a major threat to press freedom. James Goodale, who represented the New York Times in the Pentagon Papers case, commented: “The charge against Assange for ‘conspiring’ with a source is the most dangerous I can think of with respect to the First Amendment in all my years representing media organizations.”

It is critical now to build support for Assange and prevent his delivery into the hands of the Trump administration. That is the urgent purpose of this book. A wide range of distinguished contributors, many of them in original pieces, here set out the story of Julian Assange and WikiLeaks, the importance of their work, and the dangers for us all in the persecution they face. In Defense of Julian Assange is a vivid, vital intervention into one of the most important political issues of our day.
Belmarsh is the UK's Guantanamo and Trump is for the extradition since he signed up for it. He only supported Wikileaks/Assange as Candidate Trump. As President Trump he's gone back on a lot of what he was campaigning as, as should be clear to even the dumbest amongst his supporters...

^ reminds me of all the cabbies and other drivers giving me and others protesting outside the Magistrates Court in London beeps of their car horns in solidarity with our protest. More people than we know support Assange's freedom, it's just nowhere in the MSM.
skinster wrote:Belmarsh is the UK's Guantanamo and Trump is for the extradition since he signed up for it. He only supported Wikileaks/Assange as Candidate Trump. As President Trump he's gone back on a lot of what he was campaigning as, as should be clear to even the dumbest amongst his supporters...

^ reminds me of all the cabbies and other drivers giving me and others protesting outside the Magistrates Court in London beeps of their car horns in solidarity with our protest. More people than we know support Assange's freedom, it's just nowhere in the MSM.

He wasn't free trapped in that embassy annoying the hell out of the staff there for years on end. He has to man up and have his day in court, get it over and done with. With Trump in office he has some hope of a pardon any other prez will let him swing.

------

Even if they don't let him off, they aren't going to give him the death penalty. He'll just go to jail like manning.

-----

Prison isn't so bad. My brother went to prison for GBH, he quite liked it there.

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]

Al Quds day was literally invented by the Ayatolla[…]