Julian Assange arrested in London - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Yeah, but we both know its going to lose some of its reputation, credibility, and power.

I'm not sure. Assange will be a perfect martyr and icon, he'll even enjoy it, and he'll be in jail for five years only.
JohnRawls wrote:The better question is how did the UK magistrate court already find Assange guilty in 1 day? As i understand from the information. :excited:

Isn't that a bit too fast especially considering that his case is high profile and has many chapters?

Maybe they are using the same process they used against Tommy Robinson.

Atlantis wrote:Robert Muller concluded his investigation. So, even if Assange is extradited to the US, he won't be interrogated by Muller.

The UK has already announced that Assange can be extradited to the US as long as he doesn't face the death penalty. Whether or not he can expect a fair trail in the US doesn't seem to bother the UK government.

Just because Mueller is done doesn't mean the Democrats aren't done. The damage done by Assange was nothing more than exposing the internal workings of the Democratic party--which for some reason the Democrats think made them lose the election, while they would continue to have us believe that they are morally superior to everyone else on Earth.

Beren wrote:Thanks for your answer. :up:

US justice department says Assange faces five years in jail

I thought it would be more. So he's spent seven years in the embassy to avoid five years in jail?

Classic biting the hand that feeds you, but it wouldn't be unseemly for the deep state to have done that as a ruse to get amnesty rescinded.

JohnRawls wrote:
I don't know if all of the charges against Assange are fake but considering the rape charge was removed, there are only charges regarding releasing classified information that remain.

And those ones are absolutely dishonest. He wasn't the only one that released that information. Spiegel, Guardian, BBC and almost every other major news outlet covered them. So jailing Assange for that is stupid. Why is The Guardian not being prosecuted for co-conspiring with Assange and Snowden under the same pretence?

Well, the mainstream media and the government are effectively one and the same. Since Assange already leaked the info, if they didn't cover it their pretense of being independent of the state would be shattered.

JohnRawls wrote:
He did release the Panama papers. So yes, he does.

How is this bad? This is old school journalism. I know it is mostly dead nowadays but back in the day the journalists didn't care for political connections and released anything they could get their hands on. That is how journalism is supposed to work.

I personally found the Met's commentary laughable. Assange isn't hiding from the truth. He's hiding from the law. Assange simply published the truth that states and political parties were hiding.
Beren wrote:I'm not sure. Assange will be a perfect martyr and icon, he'll even enjoy it, and he'll be in jail for five years only.

We'll see, people said the same thing about the deplatforming of guys like Gavin Mcinnes and Alex Jones, but in spite of a short-lived boost to their numbers, they have effectively been removed from public discourse to the point that they can't have the same effect on US electoral politics that they did in 2016.

Simply put, Gavin, Alex Jones, Milo, and many others have been stamped out by the "powers that be" just in time for 2020 and now Julian Assange has been added to the list.

Essentially, the social media weapons that got Trump elected have been crushed with the exception of his own twitter feed.

This being the case, Trump's weapons have been reduced to his use of rallies and his manipulation of the media to reach his rust-belt base, but if you haven't noticed, the media has actually caught on to this and drastically reduced coverage of his rallies and twitter rants in comparison to the last time.

In reality, the three reasons Trump will win 2020 is because 1. the Democrats have self-exploded by running the shittiest field in the history of American politics, 2. the economy is doing well, and 3. the media has shit its pants repeatedly (everything from Kavanaugh to Covington to Smollett to Mueller being fine examples).
Victoribus Spolia wrote:We'll see, people said the same thing about the deplatforming of guys like Gavin Mcinnes and Alex Jones, but in spite of a short-lived boost to their numbers, they have effectively been removed from public discourse to the point that they can't have the same effect on US electoral politics that they did in 2016.

Simply put, Gavin, Alex Jones, Milo, and many others have been stamped out by the "powers that be" just in time for 2020 and now Julian Assange has been added to the list.

In my opinion Assange and WikiLeaks are a different case. I haven't even heard about McInnes, for example, while Jones was a stand alone man and Milo fell with Bannon. Contrary to all of them Assange and WikiLeaks are parts of a lot more serious network.
Last edited by Beren on 11 Apr 2019 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack21 wrote:Maybe they are using the same process they used against Tommy Robinson.

Just because Mueller is done doesn't mean the Democrats aren't done. The damage done by Assange was nothing more than exposing the internal workings of the Democratic party--which for some reason the Democrats think made them lose the election, while they would continue to have us believe that they are morally superior to everyone else on Earth.

Classic biting the hand that feeds you, but it wouldn't be unseemly for the deep state to have done that as a ruse to get amnesty rescinded.

Well, the mainstream media and the government are effectively one and the same. Since Assange already leaked the info, if they didn't cover it their pretense of being independent of the state would be shattered.

I personally found the Met's commentary laughable. Assange isn't hiding from the truth. He's hiding from the law. Assange simply published the truth that states and political parties were hiding.

Comparing Tommy Robinson to Assange is weird. Robinson is basically a nobody compared to Assange nor was he prosecuted for a decade for speaking the truth. Robinson on the other hand just incites rage to gain popularity.
JohnRawls wrote:Comparing Tommy Robinson to Assange is weird. Robinson is basically a nobody compared to Assange nor was he prosecuted for a decade for speaking the truth. Robinson on the other hand just incites rage to gain popularity.

Tommy Robinson was on the UK establishment's radar enough to try to railroad him. After he published his latest video on the BBC, they decided to prosecute him again. Tommy Robinson and Assange are very different people, but the establishment is doing its level best to hit at its enemies, who are non-state actors that influence UK politics in ways the establishment doesn't like.
March 2018
Ecuador cuts off Assange's internet access alleging he broke an agreement on interfering in other countries' affairs.

November 2018
US prosecutors inadvertently disclose the existence of a sealed indictment against Assange.

2 April 2019
Ecuador's President Lenin Moreno says Assange has 'repeatedly violated' the conditions of his asylum at the embassy.

Trump praised Wikileaks in a 2016 MAGA rally and his administration is not behind his arrest. It seems likely that Ecuador fed up with Assange who kept interfering in other countries' affairs by accessing his Wikileaks accounts from Ecuador’s embassy in London. Australia said it would seek consular access to Australia-born Julian Assange to help him get legal due process.

JohnRawls wrote:Assange posted corruption information about Ecuador Recently where Ecuadorian head of state was involved. So they annulled his stay In the embassy.

What an idiot. Seriously.
Rancid wrote:How so exactly?

Assange is holding the US government to account according to the principles of freedom of the press. He is doing precisely what would have saved other countries, and could help save the USA, from falling into dictatorship and fascism. Given the level of illegal spying and computer hacking the US government itself engages in, the notion that it has any business prosecuting Assange for it is grotesque.
demima wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2019/apr/11/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-at-the-ecuadorean-embassy-live-updates

What do people think about this and what are the implications, if any on press freedom?

All the accusations and charges against Assange, since the beginnings in 2010 -- shortly after WikiLeaks’ exposure of war crimes, mass surveillance and illegal diplomatic intrigues -- by the Swedish and the US governments are unfounded and proven to be false.

As a journalist and publisher, he has committed no crimes; whilst, the termination of his political asylum and taking him into prison by force are clearly violations of the repeated UN rulings, and the international law by the governments concerned.

He has fought for the truth, and acted honestly and bravely; and for this he deserves admiration and commendations of the best people.
What happens to Julian concerns the majority of the people on this planet; it is directed towards the rights of the working class, the youth, students, journalists and the rest of us; so to create a pattern for further suppression of the mass opposition to any crimes by those in power: Austerity, war, undemocratic rules…

Therefore, all those who care about their democratic rights, need to take this violation of the -- freedom of speech, human and journalist rights -- today seriously, by uniting together in a fight to prevent Assange’s extradition to the US, and for facilitating a guaranteed safe return to his home and family in Australia.

See this article, and the other related articles in the same site, for an incisive perspective on the subject:
British police arrest Julian Assange in Ecuadorian embassy
colliric wrote:https://www.infowars.com/will-trump-pardon-julian-assange-2/

Trump should Pardon Assange immediately.

Do it Mr President!

According to the link, what Assange did probably damaged the party Trump officially belongs to.

If Trump can do this without repercussions from his political "allies", then I will say he truly has immense ability, and should be regarded as one of the best leaders at least since Reagan.

P.S. I don't endorse Assange because he has enabled or even deliberately caused unnecessary upheaval. Leaking an information or not is not always a simple matter. I might talk more about this in some other thread regarding Wikileaks or Assange in general, rather than this single news.
@JohnRawls i believe he has more bias than the average MSM outlet. His collusion with russia and pro trump actions speak for themselves.

He is also a blatant narcissist and egomaniac who hid in an embassy to avoid justice. This cost my country a lot of money and inconvenience.

Pretty clear France will be taking a leading role […]

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]

Yes, and it did not order a ceasefire. Did you ev[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]