Vast protest in Hong Kong against extradition law - Page 43 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Beren wrote:Maybe, maybe not what? Mao couldn't recognise today's China and would be completely outraged by it, why do you think Xi Jinping will be more relevant 43 years after his death than he is now (Mao died 43 years ago)?

Maybe, maybe not that Cantonese would still exist as a culture going into the distant future.

Question: Are you suggesting people in HK should not protest?
Beren wrote:In the long term Xi Jinping and his generation will die too and when enough time has passed there will be only people in China who never lived under Mao.

Bye-bye, Great Leader! :rockon:

Just an interesting note, Xi Jinping actually suffered a lot personally under Mao. His father was a high ranking party official, who was purged and imprisoned during the Cultural Revolution. His house was raided and ransacked by a mob, and his sister was killed during the ransacking. He himself was sent to a labor camp, which he escaped from, before being recaptured and sent to another.

It's just something I find interesting. The duality of it all.
Rancid wrote:It's not just because China is large.

One point that @skinster has made, which is totally valid is that HK does in fact belong to China. Thus, it's easier for them to justify taking what is already legally theirs. Technically, it's not an issue of sovereignty , it's about how can China manage the absorption of HK into the mainland culture.

China will win, they just have to be VERY patient and realize it will take a generation or two, to fully absorb HK and basically make it like the rest of China. China can play the long game here, which is why they will win.

You sure about that? The mainland has actively shifted China's finance economy away from HK and towards Shanghai. I don't think it would be as painful for the mainland. They've done this precisely to make absorbing HK easier. If you make the HK economy less independent, and more dependent on the mainland, integration will happen economically. When that happens, cultural integration will follow.

I generally agree, that it would make China's neighbors start to align much more closely with the US. This is a legitimate constraint for China. Still, if they continue to get larger economically and militarily, they can just say, fuck you to everyone. The US has done that before, why wouldn't China do the same?

The economic damage to China doesn't have anything to do with Shanghai or HK being the centre. The problem with Chinese economy is that it is largely dependant on foreign countries and companies will to buy and produce goods in China and that can be taken away. As much as they want to pretend that they have started building their internal market, it has been shown clearly that almost nobody really trusts the data coming out of China. But without real data we just work with China because it seems sort of stable and we don't have data to the contrary since we are not allowed to gather that data. If our politicians will really want to put a squeeze on China then they just need to say that we are not gonna deal with China anymore. With just that, the companies will start to pull out pretty fast because they are already unsure what is happening in Chinese economy. A lot of data doesn't make sense and seems inflated. The recent data that is coming out of China is showing a slowdown so it seems that they can't keep up the disquise any longer even themselves.

I don't think that the CCP can hold to power and survive without the US, EU, Japan etc markets buying their goods and producing them in China. How many will become unemployed? Do you really think that the Chinese can crack down on millions of their own people if not tens of millions? After all, my assumption is that CCP rule is ultimately rests on economic prosperity and once its taken away then they will have only propaganda to fall to. The same as the Soviet Union did, how bad the West lives, how horrible they treat the workers, how good our system is compared to theirs but in reality this fools the leaders as much as it fools the people. Ideology really matters in these cases.

The argument about Chinese patience: Theoretically yes. They can be patient but there are no indications that Chinese leaders are. Look at the current events. This is not patience. Nor is it very easy to recover from such a nightmare. They basically instigated a rebellion for at least the next 50 years because if you haven't noticed a lot of the people on the streets are younger generation. This will not be forgiven easily. 50 years is a very long time even for the "Patient" China. They will encounter a crysis or two or a more by that time. If China will have existential problems during that time then Hong Kong WILL proclaim independence or whatever it wants. (Go back to Britain?)

Don't take it as if i am saying that China is collapsing. Far from it, it is doing decently but the trend is of degradation as of recently. The economic data makes no sense, they are intensifying propaganda, they are trying to crack down on HK, Trump has started a trade war, Europe will eventually start one also with China, the model that they tried to switch to from 2008 has not worked well.... There are clearly signs that the Chinese system is facing a test of time. Perhaps the first one since the pro-capitalist reforms but this is exactly the situation where Western democracies excel at. Look at Soviet Union, it didn't manage to reform itself and died out. Look at the Monarchies pre/post-WW1 they also failed for the same reason that they couldn't reform and change.

There are negative and positive sides to both autocratic and democratic systems. Reform and change is definitely a strong point of democracy but a very weak point for autocracies and dictatorships. Its not impossible that they will succeed but i just think it is very likely that they won't. No matter how smart one individual or the whole party is they will screw up. Democracy helps us to compensate while in autocracy/dictatorship that is very hard to do.
Rancid wrote:Maybe, maybe not that Cantonese would still exist as a culture going into the distant future.

Question: Are you suggesting people in HK should not protest?

They should protest, I wonder though if how much threatened their culture really is. In my opinion Xi makes the Cantonese stick to their separation and culture even more actually.
Crantag wrote:Just an interesting note, Xi Jinping actually suffered a lot personally under Mao. His father was a high ranking party official, who was purged and imprisoned during the Cultural Revolution. His house was raided and ransacked by a mob, and his sister was killed during the ransacking. He himself was sent to a labor camp, which he escaped from, before being recaptured and sent to another.

It's just something I find interesting. The duality of it all.

I guess Xi has issues with his past and he hasn't always had such an intimate relationship with it as he seems to do now.
will HK's cantonese culture be destroyed before social progress prevails on the mainland?

Cantonese culture on the mainland is far purer and more pronounced, and has far more support, as the CPC emphasizes distinctions between groups as a way to sell the concept of a harmonious umbrella society comprised of over 60+ ethnic groups. So this does not compute. Cantonese cuisine and language is now being actively promoted and protected in key tourist hubs.

Do you mean Hong Kong's token British culture? Who cares...Britain is for British culture and even there things are falling apart. Londonistan is in open rebellion against the rest of England and Scotland is about to go bye bye.

Hong Kong would do well to distance itself from the degenerating west.
Igor Antunov wrote:Cantonese culture on the mainland is far purer and more pronounced, and has far more support, as the CPC emphasizes distinctions between groups as a way to sell the concept of a harmonious umbrella society comprised of over 60+ ethnic groups. So this does not compute. Cantonese cuisine and language is now being actively promoted and protected in key tourist hubs.

Do you mean Hong Kong's token British culture? Who cares...Britain is for British culture and even there things are falling apart. Londonistan is in open rebellion against the rest of England and Scotland is about to go bye bye.

Hong Kong would do well to distance itself from the degenerating west.

^ What a load of wank.

Nope, OTT 'harmonious' Chinese traditionalism is just as toxic as 'degenerate' westernised rubbish as well; they're flipsides of the same coin. And the Chinese govt are just fake-Traditionalist cronyist state-capitalists anyway. Why would you even bother promoting their way of doing things in a protecting old values context? That's absurd..

I saw a good article on this site about how the Chinese economy works:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-09- ... le-economy
Patrickov wrote:One might argue that all leaders after Mao are his traitors in one way or another. Enver Hoxha would probably agree with me.

My Dad use to call Deng Xiaoping an utter traitor to Mao.

Mao's own version of Brutus or Judas Iscariot.

Igor Antunov wrote:Anyone who supports such an obvious lost cause, is a lost cause themselves, or relishes the slaughter of rebels. Take your pick.

Empty-toothless threats. The CCP have obviously decided to let shit go on unabated. As in they just don't care at all. Threats need action or they get exposed for their toothless nature.
^ Your bias is rather akin to the things you're writing about wrt others.. and I don't support the CCP. But you support westerners subjugating the Chinese, like the colonialist gwailou did in the 19th C..

colliric wrote:FUCK THE CCP!

And it really is toothless; because China will call that full-of-shit Trump idiot's bluff and he will fold nicely. Because he's an incredibly cowardly person, just like CIA stooges who blindly support western stupidity and complain about SJWs and the like, in a fully westernised, meme'd 4chan type mentality. Ugh..
Beren wrote:They should protest, I wonder though if how much threatened their culture really is. In my opinion Xi makes the Cantonese stick to their separation and culture even more actually.

Settling Han Chinese in Hong Kong is one way to undermine it. Regardless, a few decades from now it will be gone. Except the food of course, and tourist attractions. Igor's definition of culture. :lol:
All of us debating culture - what is culture anyway?
I have lived in Guangzhou for 3 years myself (also travelled extensively within China). Despite the cultural revolution, imo culture is still very rich. People are generally knowledgable about history and literature, a lot more so than fellow Hong Kongers. Most of them still speak Cantonese - those who don't are just migrants from outside the province.
I feel that a lot of my fellow young Hong Kongers don't understand the first thing about culture - like they would look at me clueless when I reference idioms and history (Which is quite commonplace in Chinese language) - I literally have to dumb down my language when I return to Hong Kong. And their English aren't excellent anyway - they are more comfortable talking in fluent internet memes - yet they whine all day about CCP undermining culture, because what, they tried teaching Mandarin in school? (We also feel that simplified Chinese looks ugly, no argument there - but then mainlanders aren't the only one who use simplified ain't it?). Most of them have never spoken to a mainlander in their life, and they learnt all about their Northern neighbors in Facebook shares and Tabloids - you know how those go. Frankly I think that's just Xenophobia and I personally find it distasteful.
Rugoz wrote:Settling Han Chinese in Hong Kong is one way to undermine it.
We are all Han Chinese mate.
benpenguin wrote:Most of them have never spoken to a mainlander in their life, and they learnt all about their Northern neighbors in Facebook shares and Tabloids - you know how those go. Frankly I think that's just Xenophobia and I personally find it distasteful.

Maybe they learn about their Northern neighbors by watching CCP propaganda, and by having CCP stooges denying them their rights. Might be the reason for the xenophobia.
Rugoz wrote:Maybe they learn about their Northern neighbors by watching CCP propaganda, and by having CCP stooges denying them their rights. Might be the reason for the xenophobia.

To me, I think it's a mixed bag - no denying Hong Kong was mishandled. The CCP was once rather gentle when conflicts arise - but our new emperor has no such patience. Then again, Xenophobia started way before him, and the media really fanned the hysteria...
There's worldwide mass hysteria mate.

This evil, shallow meme/destroy everything 4chanish mentality has managed to get the prez of the US elected, and to some extent our PM in the uk is a product of this too.

I'm a religious nutter, in my case it's Orthodox Christianity lol. But I really do believe that 'the evil one' seeks to sow discord, disharmony around the world and it's acute right now. Soo many people have taken leave of their senses. Mad and tbh unexplainable stuff is goi'g on where I live too, idk what to make of it.

I hope and pray that we can all overcome this..
Actually, the more I look at history, the more I find parallels. "The people" has never been clear in the head, it just appears so because the victors installed the right hysteria against their enemies, and well, became victors - then proceed to write history books about triumph of the people, and defeat of the "great enemy". Heroes and villains are defined after the conclusion - in the end, all is motived by survival and circumstance - there is no inherent good and evil.
We are all victims of our knowledge - we are just what we learn. That's why my politics changes all the time - I was pretty much a Chinese nationalist a year ago, and a liberal before that :lol: No telling what I believe in a couple years later.
Presvias wrote:^ Your bias is rather akin to the things you're writing about wrt others.. and I don't support the CCP. But you support westerners subjugating the Chinese, like the colonialist gwailou did in the 19th C..

I do not support western subjugation. Don't put words in my mouth. I support Hong Kong having full independence or full autonomy, and I am a known supporter of the Kuomintang Party in Taiwan.

In fact I support the ROC Government taking back the Mainland one day. Hopefully soon. By diplomacy hopefully.

.... one day, in the not too distant future hopefully.

Hong Kong to become it's own City State.
colliric wrote:I am a known supporter of the Kuomintang Party in Taiwan.
I wonder how much do you know about Taiwan's government? I happen to also travel there frequently in the past 2 years. imho they can barely manage their own ass, let along a continent sized country. Are you sure you are not projecting your hatred towards CCP to the competence of the KMT?
And if you are referring to the golden 10 years of KMT's governance in China, you will find that they are very similar with how CCP is currently running things - there are certain things with sprawling empires that's done similarly. And in KMT's case they were also a dictatorship :) . Hell they even invented simplified Chinese!
Yeah, don't know what to say to that myself...

I agree with your earlier post, except disagree about there being no good and evil, naturally.

I know a young Chinese guy who mostly lived in Malaysia and Singapore; he's alt-right, hates the CCP, thinks that Romanian Fascist dictators are the ideal model for world governance. I despair, really do. Hopefully, the ignorance among the young Chinese diaspora is confined to such anecdotes, and is not-so-widespread. (shrugs)

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]