Democrat O'Rourke proposes 'war tax' on affluent U.S. families without military members - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

BigSteve wrote:Of course they do!

An O'Rourke nomination would seal a second term for the President. O'Rourke's a complete buffoon, and conservatives understand that will be the easiest contest for Trump to win...

I understand your opinion but ill politely disagree. I won some money on Trump getting elected and if O'Rourke becomes the nominee, i'll probably put some money on him also. I hope the bookies don't catch on fast. Although it probably won't be the case since his ahead of Trump as of this moment anyways. Such a downer. Not as much as Biden or Michelle Obama but whatever.
Wont the policy "war tax' on affluent U.S. families without military members" just incentivize token membership?

The potential for a quid pro quo of petty/enlisted officers treating moneybags well = gifts in the future (perhaps for their family) and treating him with anything but kid gloves = rich people stomping on you (perhaps your family) in the future, would be another avenue of corruption.
Thunderhawk wrote:Wont the policy "war tax' on affluent U.S. families without military members" just incentivize token membership?

The potential for a quid pro quo of petty/enlisted officers treating moneybags well = gifts in the future (perhaps for their family) and treating him with anything but kid gloves = rich people stomping on you (perhaps your family) in the future, would be another avenue of corruption.

I would guess no because the tax is so small it isn't worth the bother to dodge by such time expensive means. No one gets rich by making such bad trades.
Trump's problem is that he is running against Trump. He has well and truly fucked up with his image. He has handed the democrats all of the sound and video bites they need to mount this campaign no matter who wins the nomination.

Trump is going to run against AOC and Pelosi regardless of who the candidate is. That is all he can do. His best hope is to be the best of the worst. Against just about any of the others he is in trouble.

Beto could certainly beat him. Biden would destroy him in a debate.

Trump may win. If the democrats don't get on message soon, he might. If they run too far to the left he might. And they will run to the left during the nomination process which is what is putting Biden on top now. But Trump is in trouble. The only real question that remains is how many seats in the senate.
Drlee wrote:Trump's problem is that he is running against Trump. He has well and truly fucked up with his image. He has handed the democrats all of the sound and video bites they need to mount this campaign no matter who wins the nomination.

Well, if talking about shooting people on 5th Avenue or grabbing women by the pussy didn't do it, I can't imagine too many other sound bites having too great an impact...

Trump is going to run against AOC and Pelosi regardless of who the candidate is.

That remains to be seen. Pelosi isn't exactly an AOC fan. Infighting could result in AOC getting Madam Speaker's boot heel on her neck...

That is all he can do. His best hope is to be the best of the worst. Against just about any of the others he is in trouble.

Beto could certainly beat him. Biden would destroy him in a debate.

Comments like this make me laugh.

According to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton was the "most qualified" to ever seek the office of President. She's experienced, cunning and ruthless.

And she lost the election to Donald Trump.

If she couldn't beat him, none of these other assclowns are going to, especially someone like Beto O'Rourke...

Trump may win. If the democrats don't get on message soon, he might. If they run too far to the left he might. And they will run to the left during the nomination process which is what is putting Biden on top now. But Trump is in trouble. The only real question that remains is how many seats in the senate.

The "message" the Democrats have chosen to run on is one of "I'm not Donald Trump". Well, that's just not gonna' be enough.

The thing with politics like this is that the Democrats are going to eat their young. The 20 candidates have to destroy each other in order to get the nomination, and Trump will laugh all the way to a second term...
Politics_Observer wrote:I absolutely love O'Rourke's plan!

It's a dumb idea, because a lot of the wealthy who discourage their children from joining the military are Democrats. He's just going to piss off wealthy Democrats, which is why he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in the first place.

Politics_Observer wrote:Don't you know wealthy families aren't going to like that! ha ha ha!

Right. They already got fucked over royally by Paul Ryan's tax cut, which limited SALT. So wealthy Democrats now cannot write off much of their state taxes. They are trying to get that money back, but it's a political loser because it is literally tax cuts for the rich.

SolarCross wrote:I doubt anyone would complain too much either as it is not that onerous.

He's going to self-immolate.

Traveller wrote:"What the hell? $200,000/year on long island is like earning $80,000 in Kansas City! I am already taxed-the-hell-out-of. STOP IT!"

What foolish constituents do not understand - because they are knee deep in class and identity politics:

Take probably the highest bill people face: Rent. Rent Prices in Long Island, NY are 98.90% higher than in Kansas City, MO.

This is why Ryan's tax bill had some elements of political genius in it. You can get guys like jimjam to rail on endlessly about the corporate tax rate cut, but the individual income taxes went way up and have forced wealthy people in blue states to pay a lot more in state and local income taxes--taxes they voted for, but weren't really paying because they could write them off at the federal level. Wealthy liberals are a lot of things, but they aren't stupid.

Politics_Observer wrote:For example a guy in my unit was going on his 7th combat tour. In another case an army ranger was on his 15th combat tour before he was finally killed in action. He started his 1st combat tour in 2001 shortly after 9/11.

Yeah, the overdeployment of troops is something that needs to change. Rather than taxing the rich, maybe giving soldiers better pay, or granting them federal lands or something. Soldiering used to pay like shit, but if you won a war you would get land (and title, in countries with titles of nobility).

Drlee wrote:Last balanced budget? Bill Clinton.

Newt Gingrich. All spending and taxes originate in the US House of Representatives. Newspapers won't tell you that, but you can always read the constitution if you want to know how it really works.

Finfinder wrote:Didn't know Bush ran the CIA.

George H.W. Bush under Nixon. Pants-of-dog is still pretty sore about Salvador Allende getting bounced. Of course, that wasn't a war, so there is no "war crime" to prosecute.

JohnRawls wrote:You can't win all Hispanics so... But O'Rourke vs Trump is very problematic not only because of Hispanics. The general issues with O'Rourke for Trump is:

1) He is to a certain degree a very republican like.
2) He is young.
3) He is religious.
4) He is more favourable for Hispanics.
5) He has good amount of Charisma.
6) He has higher than average or may be the highest chances than all over dem candidates in Texas and Florida.
7) He is a "better" male.

The Democrats are doubling down on the policies that basically won Trump the election. Beto O'Rourke is for eliminating the border wall, eliminating ICE, providing illegal immigrants with health care at taxpayer's expense, etc. Hispanic Americans do not want illegal aliens, because they are the most adversely affected by illegal immigrant labor. Identity politics doesn't get this fact.

JohnRawls wrote:Although not very pragmatic but O'Rourke as President and AOC as VP would make for a very entertaining campaign only to watch Republicans shitting major bricks and knowing that they actually can loose to AOC with O'Rourke being P. Realistically though his VP would be some other semi low-key Leftie preferably a woman or afro-american.

AOC is not eligible. She is only 29. You need to be 35 years old.

JohnRawls wrote:But whatever the main point is that his VP is going to be somebody like AOC just because somebody like AOC or Bernie Sanders complement(Leftie, Woman, Green, Black in that order of priority) him well.

That'll just repeat 2016. Democrats will do well in BoshWash, Chicago and California. They will do worse than 2016 almost everywhere else.

JohnRawls wrote:People were making fun of me for saying that Trump has higher chances to win than Hillary during the previous election.(Both here and in real life)

Don't I know it. If that's the case, the people with the personality to take on Trump are really Kamala Harris and Booty Judge. They have already committed to policies that are too left of center for the country.

JohnRawls wrote:Now i am just going to say that if O'Rourke becomes the candidate than Trump is probably not going to have a 2nd term unless O'Rourke makes some massive mistake which is very unlikely.

Like campaigning to remove existing border fencing? He's already toast. This will not be obvious to you until election day. The guy cannot even fill a small room to hear his speeches. Look at the groundswell response. Kamala Harris actually did pretty well at her launch. Nobody draws crowds like Trump these days. Obama got pretty close, but Obama had the media's help.

JohnRawls wrote:I honestly think that Biden vs Trump would come down to a coin toss of sorts 50 vs 50 depending on how Republicans will leverage Bidens popularity of "Obamas" guy.

Biden's threat to Trump is that working class people like Biden. Biden's weakness is that a lot of leftists would stay home. So that's a murkier picture for Trump.

BigSteve wrote:Joe Biden is the Minnesota Vikings of Presidential politics...

The Fran Tarkenton... :lol:

Drlee wrote:Trump's problem is that he is running against Trump.

In other words, it's Trump's to lose.

Drlee wrote:His best hope is to be the best of the worst. Against just about any of the others he is in trouble.

They've all put their hands up for Green New Deal, paying health care for illegal aliens, forgiving college debt in a country where 2/3rds of the people don't go to college, eliminating ICE, etc. They have all but written off the white working class voter again. It's a huge mistake.

Drlee wrote:Trump may win. If the democrats don't get on message soon, he might. If they run too far to the left he might.

At this rate, Trump could win with a recession because the Democrats have written off the white, blue collar working class again. I didn't think they could possibly be that stupid, but they are as knuckleheaded as the Republican establishment.

BigSteve wrote:Well, if talking about shooting people on 5th Avenue or grabbing women by the pussy didn't do it, I can't imagine too many other sound bites having too great an impact...

Yeah. The whole country snoozed at the E. Jean Carrol sexual assault charge. It's become cliché.

BigSteve wrote:According to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton was the "most qualified" to ever seek the office of President. She's experienced, cunning and ruthless.

And she lost the election to Donald Trump.

Trump's election is the biggest political upset of our lifetimes. We'll be talking about the 2016 election for the rest of our lives.
Traveller wrote:"What the hell? $200,000/year on long island is like earning $80,000 in Kansas City! I am already taxed-the-hell-out-of. STOP IT!"

Take probably the highest bill people face: Rent. Rent Prices in Long Island, NY are 98.90% higher than in Kansas City, MO.

Are you from Long Island??

I was there just two weeks ago; grew up in Hauppauge.

When my folks bought their modest two story, 2bdr/1ba house back in 1960, it was a whopping $14,000. I think their mortgage payment was around $275 a month. Now that house, which is over 100 years old, is on the market and the price is in the $600K range. Friends I stayed with are getting ass-raped in taxes. What were once quaint little neighborhoods are now inundated with McMansions.

It sure ain't the Long Island I know and love...
@blackjack21

blackjack21 wrote:Yeah, the overdeployment of troops is something that needs to change. Rather than taxing the rich, maybe giving soldiers better pay, or granting them federal lands or something. Soldiering used to pay like shit, but if you won a war you would get land (and title, in countries with titles of nobility).

The idea of being granted federal lands or any land (though this was done for soldiers in the American Revolutionary War being given land after the war from which those veterans from what I read had to quickly sell to pay bills and lived in poverty afterwards) is laughable to me. I don't care about land or ridiculous "titles of nobility" and I honestly never expected the sort of education benefits or medical care I get through the Veterans Administration at all. I mean, to me, the best thing folks can do is just do a good job of making sure the US is a good country that lives up to good values and does a good job of taking care of it's people.

That's ALLLL that matters to me. That's it! I volunteered for Afghanistan because of what happened on 9/11. I mean think about NFL football player Pat Tillman who walked away from millions of dollars in the NFL to sign up. It was because of 9/11. A lot of the guys who did tons of tours were also volunteering to go back, some out of money and some out of patriotism or both.

But for me, I just wanted to sign up and volunteer for Afghanistan just to do my time and I honestly didn't expect anything in return for it except a paycheck while I was serving and that was it. You know soldiering isn't all about money or being a hero or being granted a land title or education benefits. It's about something that is bigger and more important than you. It really is. And that is the true reason for doing it. Nothing else matters, I mean NOTHING else. It's all about love of country. I give two shits about the rest. I did it out of love of country. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. No amount of money or benefits can buy fighting from the heart or love of country.
BigSteve wrote:Are you from Long Island??

I was there just two weeks ago; grew up in Hauppauge.

When my folks bought their modest two story, 2bdr/1ba house back in 1960, it was a whopping $14,000. I think their mortgage payment was around $275 a month. Now that house, which is over 100 years old, is on the market and the price is in the $600K range. Friends I stayed with are getting ass-raped in taxes. What were once quaint little neighborhoods are now inundated with McMansions.

I am not. But i understand in principle. It's awful.
@Traveller @BigSteve

Steve wrote:When my folks bought their modest two story, 2bdr/1ba house back in 1960, it was a whopping $14,000. I think their mortgage payment was around $275 a month. Now that house, which is over 100 years old, is on the market and the price is in the $600K range. Friends I stayed with are getting ass-raped in taxes. What were once quaint little neighborhoods are now inundated with McMansions.

Well that's what happens when you have a society with a decimated middle class where in which many have far too little while others have the comfort and influence that go with having more than enough. It used to not be that way. But Reagan started that process in the 1980s with his fraudulent "trickle down" economics scam that made the rich, richer and everybody else poorer.

What you see today is the consequence of gentrification where McMansions are brought not for quality but rather as a statement of affluence, wealth and status. Those that move into these McMansions are able to easily pay those expensive taxes while the natives are forced to leave because they can't afford those taxes. Gentrification is not just the processes of removing those who have far too little from a specific area, it also the processes of destroying the culture of that area.

And this is what the economic policies of the past several decades that centered around the economic gluttony of the rich have brought Rhode Island. A lot of people who lived there their whole lives have to move now to make room for those who have way more than enough to afford those McMansions and the expensive taxes that the natives can't. That's by design.
My first apartment, just south of San Diego in Imperial Beach, was $110 a month.

That same apartment now rents for around $1,800, and that's after the neighborhood's gone to shit because of the illegals living in IB now.

It's crazy...

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Godstud did you ever have to go through any of t[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]