Nike, Kaepernick and Arizona... - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

No, you are exaggerating. The conservative right is panicking about everything that progressives are doing.

The moral outrage is long overdue. I am sure MLK would be quite disappointed in how racism is still prevalent, over 50 years after he made his famous speech...
The "left" is just a very vague term, to begin with, and I very much doubt the "data", which is simply taken off of opinion polls. Maybe the people on the "left" aren't afraid to call it like it is?

Perception is important.
It makes as much sense as yours does. If you can't comprehend it, then that's not on me. Throwing in an Ad hominem only supports this.

Some would argue that it's not simply the "left" exaggerating.

Race in America 2019
Public has negative views of the country’s racial progress; more than half say Trump has made race relations worse
Opinions about the current state of race relations – and President Donald Trump’s handling of the issue – are also negative. About six-in-ten Americans (58%) say race relations in the U.S. are bad, and of those, few see them improving. Some 56% think the president has made race relations worse; just 15% say he has improved race relations and another 13% say he has tried but failed to make progress on this issue. In addition, roughly two-thirds say it’s become more common for people to express racist views since Trump became president.
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/04 ... rica-2019/

Don’t Let the Loud Bigots Distract You. America’s Real Problem With Race Cuts Far Deeper
https://time.com/5388356/our-racist-soul/

Perhaps it's just that it's a lot more VISIBLE, these days, thanks to social media.
Godstud wrote:Some would argue that it's not simply the "left" exaggerating.

The American left's attitudes with respect to progressive talking point have an inverse relationship with reality. The more improvements minorities and women experience in their position, the greater the left's moral panic becomes.

Ironically, we are having this debate in a thread about an oppressed person managing to stop a line of shoes by a corporate giant with a phone call.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The American left's attitudes with respect to progressive talking point have an inverse relationship with reality. The more improvements minorities and women experience in their position, the greater the left's moral panic becomes.
You have a pretty silly opinion there, but that's all it is.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Ironically, we are having this debate in a thread about an oppressed person managing to stop a line of shoes by a corporate giant with a phone call.
Your opinion on him being oppressed is lame. It's also not ironic. This happens all the time. A person says, "Hey , I don't think that's a good idea.", and they change their plans. not every time do they get any media coverage about it, though. This would have been a non-issue had it not made it to social media. Thank you social media.
Godstud wrote:You have a pretty silly opinion there, but that's all it is.

Do you deny that minorities and women have seen an improvement in their position over the last few decades?

Godstud wrote:Your opinion on him being oppressed is lame. It's also not ironic. This happens all the time. A person says, "Hey , I don't think that's a good idea.", and they change their plans. not every time do they get any media coverage about it, though. This would have been a non-issue had it not made it to social media. Thank you social media.

Kaepernick is oppressed by virtue of belonging to an oppressed group of people. He makes his living off that progressive fact.

This was a phone call, not a social media outrage mob. But regardless, it's evidence of cultural power in any case.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Do you deny that minorities and women have seen an improvement in their position over the last few decades?
I think they have seen too little improvement over the last few decades.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Kaepernick is oppressed by virtue of belonging to an oppressed group of people.
:roll: So, much like you.
Godstud wrote: I think they have seen too little improvement over the last few decades.

So you don't deny it, which proves my point.

Godstud wrote: :roll: So, much like you.

Yes, by virtue of being a woman I'm oppressed and the perception among the American left on whether there's a lot/great deal of discrimination against people like me has gone through the roof.

My victim status only matter with respect to people like you though.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:So you don't deny it, which proves my point.
:roll: Your point is irrelevant seeing as the improvements have been so small.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Yes, by virtue of being a woman I'm oppressed and the perception among the American left on whether there's a lot/great deal of discrimination against people like me has gone through the roof.
You mean 'white', not woman, right? :lol:

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:My victim status only matter with respect to people like you though.
You don't have victim status. Only actual victims do. Nice try. :knife:

You're the only one here claiming that everyones a victim. :roll:
Godstud wrote: :roll: Your point is irrelevant seeing as the improvements have been so small.

You are further proving that for the left when things improve it's a cause for catastrophising, in line with the common theme that the fewer nazis there actually are, the more the left believes they are everywhere including under their bed.

Godstud wrote: You mean 'white', not woman, right? :lol:

That obsession is your turf, not mine.

But since we are talking about whites, it's white lefties who are driving this. They have become abnormal with respect to their in-group and out-groups whereas conservatives are pretty average, just like other ethnicities:

Godstud wrote: You don't have victim status. Only actual victims do. Nice try. :knife:

If women are victims of discrimination, as you seem to think, then I'm a victim by virtue of being a woman. Please try and keep your argument straight.

Godstud wrote: You're the only one here claiming that everyones a victim. :roll:

Now you seem to be claiming that minorities and women are not victims of discrimination. Which is it?
Politics_Observer wrote:@Godstud @Unthinking Majority @Kaiserschmarrn
I agree with Godstud. Change is part of life and inevitable. You either embrace change or get quickly left behind. It's just the reality of things.

I missed this response earlier, but as I pointed out to @Godstud, this is not a position that can be advanced in good faith. I strongly suspect you wouldn't brush off so lightly change that goes against your preferences.

Politics_Observer wrote:Much of the explosion of white supremacy here in the US comes with this fear of whites of "we will be replaced."

Could you show us some evidence that there is an explosion of white supremacy in the US and that this is driven by fear of replacement.

Godstud wrote:I will not continue this, as you are constantly changing the goalposts and switching sides. :lol:

Troll someone else.

Explaining and using the position of progressives is not trolling, as much as you'd like to pretend it is. As far as my goodwill in responding to you is concerned, you rarely have more to offer than flippancy, ridicule or counter-outrage, and you are getting exactly what you are dishing out.

Edit: Just realised you edited your post, but I'll leave my response anyway.

Godstud wrote:You're as guilty as those "lefties" of blurring the lines. :lol:

I don't understand the reference to "blurring lines".
@Kaiserschmarrn

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:With respect, you guys are quite close to sanitising discourse and imagery in a way that the left has always been opposed to and was instrumental in dismantling. I might be wrong, but my gut feeling is that this kind of moralising is something the left will come to regret. There are strong human instincts at work and they are present across the political spectrum.

I know there is a relatively new kind of scholarship that posits that slave labour was important in America's ascent and prosperity, but they are wrong. If you are interested in an overview of the arguments of the other side, see this paper.

I was looking at your paper and it's a very long paper to read. Could you please cite this source and also quote specific parts from this paper to back up your position? I can't tell if this is really a good source of information or not which is why I ask you to cite your source to defend your position. That being said, I will give you my sources to defend my position. The textile industry in the US and in the Northern US like New York City were ENTIRELY dependent upon the southern US for cotton. Cheap plentiful land in the south along with soil necessary to grow cotton and the slave labor required to work that land produced ALOT of millionaires who were white slave owners in the American south.

In addition, Britain got 75% of it's cheap cotton from the American south which played a big role in fueling it's Industrial Revolution and supplying it's empire. Slave labor was the key, the cornerstone to producing cheap cotton that the US economy was heavily dependent upon, including the textile mills in New England and slave labor in the American south was key and important to fueling the British Industrial Revolution and supplying it's empire given that 75% of the cotton they got from the American south and it was all produced by slave labor.

Without that slave labor, the US economy then and today would not be where it was and is. Slaves in the 1860 represented a 4 billion dollar investment and it was slave labor in the US and the cotton it produced that made the US credit worthy. This 4 billion dollar investment and the fact that the south perceived Lincoln as a threat to this investment was the reason why the south attempted to secede from the US but was ultimately defeated by the superior factory and industrial output of New England factories. Slavery was also not just an entirely a southern US thing, it also existed in the Northern US for some time. Here are quotes from my sources:

Greg Timmons of History.com wrote:Building a commercial enterprise out of the wilderness required labor and lots of it. For much of the 1600s, the American colonies operated as agricultural economies, driven largely by indentured servitude. Most workers were poor, unemployed laborers from Europe who, like others, had traveled to North America for a new life. In exchange for their work, they received food and shelter, a rudimentary education and sometimes a trade.

By 1680, the British economy improved and more jobs became available in Britain. During this time, slavery had become a morally, legally and socially acceptable institution in the colonies. As the number of European laborers coming to the colonies dwindled, enslaving Africans became a commercial necessity—and more widely acceptable.

With ideal climate and available land, property owners in the southern colonies began establishing plantation farms for cash crops like rice, tobacco and sugar cane—enterprises that required increasing amounts of labor. To meet the need, wealthy planters turned to slave traders, who imported ever more human chattel to the colonies, the vast majority from West Africa. As more slaves were imported and an upsurge in slave fertility rates expanded the “inventory,” a new industry was born: the slave auction. These open markets where humans were inspected like animals and bought and sold to the highest bidder proved an increasingly lucrative enterprise.

https://www.history.com/news/slavery-pr ... rn-economy

EH.net wrote:These data sets reveal that prime field hands went for four to six hundred dollars in the U.S. in 1800, thirteen to fifteen hundred dollars in 1850, and up to three thousand dollars just before Fort Sumter fell. Even controlling for inflation, the prices of U.S. slaves rose significantly in the six decades before South Carolina seceded from the Union. By 1860, Southerners owned close to $4 billion worth of slaves. Slavery remained a thriving business on the eve of the Civil War: Fogel and Engerman (1974) projected that by 1890 slave prices would have increased on average more than 50 percent over their 1860 levels. No wonder the South rose in armed resistance to protect its enormous investment.

https://eh.net/encyclopedia/slavery-in- ... 96zJaYJCXI

Eugene R. Dattel of Mississippi History Now wrote:William Faulkner, Mississippi’s most famous novelist, once said, “To understand the world, you have to understand a place like Mississippi.”

To the world, Mississippi was the epicenter of the cotton production phenomenon during the first half of the 19th century. The state was swept along by the global economic force created by its cotton production, the demand by cotton textile manufacturing in Europe, and New York’s financial and commercial dealings. Mississippi did not exist in a vacuum. So, in a sense, Faulkner’s words could be reversed: “To understand Mississippi, you have to understand the world.”

Mississippi’s social and economic histories in early statehood were driven by cotton and slave labor, and the two became intertwined in America. Cotton was a labor-intensive business, and the large number of workers required to grow and harvest cotton came from slave labor until the end of the American Civil War. Cotton was dependent on slavery and slavery was, to a large extent, dependent on cotton. After emancipation, African Americans were still identified with cotton production.

Eugene Dattel continues:

Eugene R. Dattel of Mississippi History Now wrote:By 1860, Great Britain, the world’s most powerful country, had become the birthplace of the industrial revolution, and a significant part of that nation’s industry was cotton textiles. Nearly 4,000,000 of Britain’s total population of 21,000,000 were dependent on cotton textile manufacturing. Nearly forty percent of Britain’s exports were cotton textiles. Seventy-five percent of the cotton that supplied Britain’s cotton mills came from the American South, and the labor that produced that cotton came from slaves.

http://mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/ar ... QF0fQ2V0lQ

References-

Timmons, Greg. "How Slavery Became the Economic Engine of the South." HISTORY, 31 Aug. 2018, http://www.history.com/news/slavery-pro ... rn-economy. Accessed 6 July 2019.

EH.net. "Slavery in the United States." eh.net/encyclopedia/slavery-in-the-united-states/?fbclid=IwAR0NCi-nUH_XEv0AQcBHwYmsjhDnHBnSeYefxGQ2Ai03IZz4196zJaYJCXI. Accessed 6 July 2019.

Dattel, Eugene R. "Cotton in a Global Economy: Mississippi (1800-1860)." Mississippi History Now, mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/articles/161/cotton-in-a-global-economy-mississippi-1800-1860?fbclid=IwAR0zw8rGT0JEtGhwOn5wlMKqEThi-MaTPlKjMwhk0RkjD2LdgQF0fQ2V0lQ. Accessed 6 July 2019.
@Politics_Observer, thanks for the thorough response. The paper I linked can also be accessed from Columbia University (without the watermark) and it was published here. That's just to assure you that it is not self-published or anything like it. I'll come back to this later, because I don't have time right now. :)
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:As far as my goodwill in responding to you is concerned, you rarely have more to offer than flippancy, ridicule or counter-outrage, and you are getting exactly what you are dishing out.
:lol: Since this all appears to be about your feelings towards me, and not the actual topic, "Good day". You obviously cannot argue in good faith, if you're all hung up on me, and not actually addressing the arguments.

:peace:
@Kaiserschmarrn

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:@Politics_Observer, thanks for the thorough response. The paper I linked can also be accessed from Columbia University (without the watermark) and it was published here. That's just to assure you that it is not self-published or anything like it. I'll come back to this later, because I don't have time right now. :)

I totally understand. I was going back and forth doing school work while also writing my response to you. No rush in responding. I look forward to reading your response to see how you defend your position. You might win the debate, we'll see if your arguments are logical enough and your sources are solid. It sounds like you have some solid sources based on what you are telling me. If you don't mind, please quote from bits and pieces of your source to demonstrate your defense of your position.
Opinion and perception is all the arguments boil down to. There is no "winning" a debate involving those, @Politics_Observer.
@Godstud

You are correct. My apologies. Debate is not a zero sum game. However I like to see sources from those making an argument to see if they can make at least some sort of case for their position that is grounded in facts and reality.

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]