Bolton is fired - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Beren
The Guardian wrote:Trump says Bolton 'wasn't in line' with administration's priorities

Trump is taking questions from reporters in the Oval Office and said he would announce a new national security adviser to replace John Bolton next week.

The president said Bolton “wasn’t in line with what we were doing” and that his hawkish history was unflattering to leaders like Kim Jong-un.

However, he rather seems to have been fired because of Iran.

Bloomberg wrote:President Donald Trump discussed easing sanctions on Iran to help secure a meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani later this month, prompting then-National Security Advisor John Bolton to argue forcefully against such a step, according to three people familiar with the matter.

After an Oval Office meeting on Monday when the idea came up, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin voiced his support for the move as a way to restart negotiations with Iran, some of the people said. Later in the day, Trump decided to oust Bolton, whose departure was announced Tuesday.
By ThirdTerm
His "Libyan model" remark was the biggest mistake he made on North Korea. The North Korean dictator feared that he would be bombed to death like Moammar Gadhafi of Libya, which set back talks with North Korea. To North Koreans, Gadhafi had foolishly given away his most valuable security asset, while getting nothing in return, which is likely to be repeated by the Trump administration, if North Korea gives up its nuclear arsenals.

President Trump blasted his former national security adviser John Bolton from the White House on Wednesday, saying he had been fired after making "some very big mistakes" and that he did not get along with others in the administration.

In a public rebuke of a top aide that would have been extraordinary before the Trump White House, Trump said Bolton had "set us back" and that the adviser had disagreed with the president on various national security issues.

He slammed a mistake Bolton made early in his tenure at the White House when he discussed a "Libyan model" in the context of North Korea — which that country took as a sign that its leadership could meet the fate of former Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi.

While he insisted he had gotten along with the adviser, he also ridiculed Bolton for getting the United States involved in the Iraq War.

“So, John is somebody that I actually got along with very well. He made some very big mistakes,” Trump said a day after his abrupt ousting of Bolton.

He said the "Libyan model" remark had set back talks with North Korea and was “not a good statement to make.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -my-agenda
By Godstud
He did well to have lasted that long under such an incompetent president.
By Verv
It was perhaps not a bad idea that they had Bolton in there as a voice that would consistently be dissenting. I think it is important to have advisers around you that can explain the alternative position well, right?

I am absolutely thrilled to see that this may mean that Pres. Trump is really planning on seriously discussing easing sanctions with Iran and potentially leading to a lot more cooperation. This would acutally directly impact my life.

I have long hoped for him to do something like the North Korea deal with the Iranians -- looking tough and drawing everything into a state of conflict and escalation just to make an unprecedneted change.

Netanyahu, who thought that he found such a great ally in Pres. Trump, will perhaps be very disappointed and furious.
By Godstud
@Verv All Trump's done in North Korea is to make photo ops for himself. He's done nothing that has had any practical effect.
By Beren
Godstud wrote:@Verv All Trump's done in North Korea is to make photo ops for himself. He's done nothing that has had any practical effect.

It's had the practical effect that it's somewhat raised Kim's reputation, at home especially.
By Godstud
Right, so nothing that's positive, unless you're a Dictator of an oppressive regime.

Do we need Trump doing the same with the Iranians? I think not.
By Code Rood
Godstud wrote:He did well to have lasted that long under such an incompetent president.

You could also turn this around. Working with a lunatic like Bolton can't be easy.
Last edited by Code Rood on 12 Sep 2019 08:56, edited 2 times in total.
By Beren
Godstud wrote:Right, so nothing that's positive, unless you're a Dictator of an oppressive regime.

Do we need Trump doing the same with the Iranians? I think not.

I'm glad if Trump wants to meet with Iranian leaders so much that he fires Bolton for it, while his clowning with Kim is mostly irrelevant. He should leave Venezuela alone as well.
By Hindsite
Beren wrote:I'm glad if Trump wants to meet with Iranian leaders so much that he fires Bolton for it, while his clowning with Kim is mostly irrelevant. He should leave Venezuela alone as well.

Trump wants to make deals. The way he began to see Bolton is one that wanted to make wars because of his sabotage of the possibility of any deal. It first happened with Bolton's performance with North Korea.
By Godstud
Blaming Bolton for North Korea is fucking hilarious. That was Trump's show. He was played by KJU, like a fucking banjo.
By Verv
Hindsite wrote:Trump wants to make deals. The way he began to see Bolton is one that wanted to make wars because of his sabotage of the possibility of any deal. It first happened with Bolton's performance with North Korea.

This is exactly right.

I really love this tweet for that insight into what was happening.

By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:Blaming Bolton for North Korea is fucking hilarious. That was Trump's show. He was played by KJU, like a fucking banjo.

You don't know anything about it. You are just trolling again. Everyone, but you, knew Bolton had said he wanted to follow the Libyan model. As ignorant as you are, even you, must know what happened to Gaddafi.
By Godstud
@Hindsite I know as much as you do, so piss off with that ignorant bullshit.

I know about the Libyan model, but that is not what happened with DPRK, and you know it. I was not referring to Iran in that statement, as you'd know if you realized Kim Jong Un isn't the leader of Iran. Duhhh....
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:@Hindsite I know as much as you do, so piss off with that ignorant bullshit.

I know about the Libyan model, but that is not what happened with DPRK, and you know it. I was not referring to Iran in that statement, as you'd know if you realized Kim Jong Un isn't the leader of Iran. Duhhh....

I guess you did not know that Bolton was against Trump meeting with Iran or the Taliban from Afghanistan, Duhhh....
By Godstud
Meeting with the Taliban was a stupid idea, doomed to failure, especially after he wanted to have them do a treaty at Camp David, in the USA. :lol: :knife: .

Trump fucked Iran up when he nixed the treaty that Obama signed with all the other countries. Just dumb Trump, once again.
By Heisenberg
I yield to no one in my contempt for Donald Trump, but this news made me genuinely happy. John Bolton is the epitome of the American Cowboy stereotype - a boorish, stupid and callous bastard. The further he is from a position of real power, the better.
By Crantag
Godstud wrote:Blaming Bolton for North Korea is fucking hilarious. That was Trump's show. He was played by KJU, like a fucking banjo.

Bolton is absolutely terrible and anything that gets him away from levers of power is good. I get the desire to denounce anything Trumpian, but firing Bolton is one of the rare things I'm apt to commend him on.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls General Election Summary 2022 Date[…]

Claims that mainstream economics is changing rad[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]