US Diplomat's Wife Hit and Run in UK - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Drlee wrote:Why is this even a thing? It is so common that it happens somewhere in the world just about every week.

This is the most fundamental diplomatic boilerplate. This has nothing to do with the UKs honor nor that of the woman. After all of the publicity surrounding this she would be an idiot to return to the UK. No way to get a fair trial.

The UK is who is acting like a special snowflake here.

Fully agreed! I'm not afraid to stand up for England or Britain, but in this case, I say to my fellow subjects we're in the wrong. Rules need to be simple. The woman was a diplomats wife, she has diplomatic immunity end of story. If the US, or Britain started making exceptions on diplomatic immunity it would make no end of problems, countries that weren't made exceptions would consider it a diplomatic insult.
Political Interest wrote:If she has any honour she will return and face due process.

What on earth for? Supposing she got convicted? supposing she had to serve a prison sentence? What purpose would that serve? If she does ever drive in a LHD country in the future I very much doubt she'll make that mistake again. if she has any honour she needs to think about her family first. She needs to think about her husband. the enormous damage this has done to his career. The quicker this is forgotten about, the quicker her husband can try and salvage something.
If I was someone in a position of governmental influence, I would do this:

I would enter into talks with the UK. I would want them to agree that a requirement for the woman's conviction is that they show that she meant to kill the kid. If they couldn't show premeditation, she would be acquitted. The UK citizens would get the trial they've been clamoring for. If the UK agreed to that, I would then talk to the woman and try to convince her to go back on her own accord.

If she chose not to, well, that would be the end of it, because the government still can't force her to go back.
Also remember. She does not get her diplomatic immunity from the US. It was granted to her by the UK long before this happened.
Rich wrote:Fully agreed! I'm not afraid to stand up for England or Britain, but in this case, I say to my fellow subjects we're in the wrong. Rules need to be simple. The woman was a diplomats wife, she has diplomatic immunity end of story. If the US, or Britain started making exceptions on diplomatic immunity it would make no end of problems, countries that weren't made exceptions would consider it a diplomatic insult.

The US had indeed made another country to make exception on diplomatic immunity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gueorgui_Makharadze
No. The US did not "made" them do anything. We asked and they said yes. In this case we said no. Get over it. See a movie. Pet your puppy.

If the UK wishes to escalate this they are welcome to do it. They could impose sanctions. They could expel our diplomatic mission. Order us to remove our military from the Island. They could boycott US products. Sink an aircraft carrier. Whatever.

I would recommend that they not do any of those things; particularly not in the era of Trump. The consequences would not be anything like what they would be trying to achieve.
Drlee wrote:No. The US did not "made" them do anything. We asked and they said yes. In this case we said no. Get over it. See a movie. Pet your puppy.

If the UK wishes to escalate this they are welcome to do it. They could impose sanctions. They could expel our diplomatic mission. Order us to remove our military from the Island. They could boycott US products. Sink an aircraft carrier. Whatever.

I would recommend that they not do any of those things; particularly not in the era of Trump. The consequences would not be anything like what they would be trying to achieve.
I only present a fact for clarification and there is no need to interpret my post as anything personal. If the UK has made such a request then all is good regardless of the outcome.
Rich wrote:What on earth for? Supposing she got convicted? supposing she had to serve a prison sentence? What purpose would that serve? If she does ever drive in a LHD country in the future I very much doubt she'll make that mistake again. if she has any honour she needs to think about her family first. She needs to think about her husband. the enormous damage this has done to his career. The quicker this is forgotten about, the quicker her husband can try and salvage something.

It would serve the purpose of justice. It is also doubtful as to whether or not she actually had diplomatic immunity. Was her husband even a diplomat? What embassy did he work for?
Political Interest wrote:It would serve the purpose of justice. It is also doubtful as to whether or not she actually had diplomatic immunity. Was her husband even a diplomat? What embassy did he work for?

What purpose of justice? It was an accident. She didn't flee the scene. She spoke with police at the scene, so you can't say it's justice for a hit and run.

The husband worked at RAF Croughton, which is a communications base. The rumor in the UK is that he's a spy but, whatever his status, he enjoys diplomatic immunity which extends to his family.

The status of her immunity is not in question. If it was, the parents of the victim wouldn't have asked President Trump to waive that immunity, nor would the Northamptonshire Police have applied for a waiver.
Szabo wrote:She was in the country for three weeks, causes the death of a young man.

Well the time you're going to make a mistake adjusting to to Left Hand Drive is likely to be soon after arrival. This tragic death is the result of British arrogance. If only Britain had followed Sweden's example. What a great peroration that was to the Summer of Love.
By coincidence all the countries I worked in were former British colonies so I have been driving on the left side of the road since decades.
I visited my home country some time ago and a friend lend me one of his cars to drive around. I assured him I would be careful and drive on the right side of the road, as it is done in my home country. When I drove off, it was on the left side.. My friend thought I was pranking him but I can state here that I was not.
Ter wrote:By coincidence all the countries I worked in were former British colonies so I have been driving on the left side of the road since decades.
I visited my home country some time ago and a friend lend me one of his cars to drive around. I assured him I would be careful and drive on the right side of the road, as it is done in my home country. When I drove off, it was on the left side.. My friend thought I was pranking him but I can state here that I was not.

We went to Ireland a couple years ago.

Yeah, you can have your "driving on the left" nonsense.
Drlee wrote:Also remember. She does not get her diplomatic immunity from the US. It was granted to her by the UK long before this happened.

Yes, but it turns out that the victim of her hit-and-run has a cousin who is a diplomat in Washington, DC.

So what the victim's family could do is to 'accidentally throw this woman out of the top of the Empire State Building' and then claim his own immunity.

And then her family can send her uncle who works at the consulate in Liverpool to kill two friends, and so on, and so on. And before you know it, everyone with immunity is... dead.

No more immunity.
Atlantis wrote:Is it true that she's a CIA spy? That's apparently what the British garbage media is saying.

Even if she was, how does that make a difference for her guilt concerning the accident ?
I said accident, because surely she did not intend to kill that young man.
Some people call it murder, they definitely have lost their minds.
No, an accident means the killer is not at fault.

It's causing death by dangerous or careless driving, which carries a prison sentence.

Her claim of diplomatic immunity is definitely dodgy.
snapdragon wrote:No, an accident means the killer is not at fault.

It's causing death by dangerous or careless driving, which carries a prison sentence.

I agree that there are circumstances that warrant punishment, like driving whilst drunk, texting whilst driving, driving whilst drugged, and so on.
The American woman did none of those things. She was a very recent arrival in the UK and was confused on which side of the road to drive on. There is no criminal intent here or even criminal carelessness.

Driving on the wrong side has happened to me a few times when I had to switch sides when visiting other countries, although fortunately no accidents resulted from it.
Even if she would go to jail or have to pay a heavy fine, that would not alleviate the victim's family and friends. Why are you so adamant to get that woman in a court room ?
What purpose would be served to bring that woman to a court in the UK?

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O