S&P 500 sheds 1.7 trillion in two days - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Hey I don't want to fear-monger or encourage such people but it occurs to me, seeing a recession over this is actually possible.

Like, more Americans could have died in a freeway pileup without causing a recession. But China's economy has been hit harder and it will have a ripple effect. The Brits have lost 1,000 points in the past couple weeks. If I had been watching foreign markets more closely maybe I wouldn't be so surprised.

The US has clearly over-reacted IMHO and no, Trump is not at all responsible for a super flu in China that has killed one American so far (hopefully no more). But stock futures are way down. Banks are making promises now so we'll have an up day but like I wrote earlier, we are probably going to see a lot of ups and downs this week and a recession is no longer impossible.

The good news is that China will surely recover once it gets warmer, which means the rest of the world's markets will calm down shortly after, since they also panicked shortly after. And yes, that will start about 5 months before election day, meaning we might be back in a boom by November 2020.

Sucks cause I was hoping to make a lot of money during election year (the market usually does well in these years) but it's starting to look unlikely this time around.
Wulfschilde wrote:Sucks cause I was hoping to make a lot of money during election year (the market usually does well in these years) but it's starting to look unlikely this time around.

You can still make money.

Buy the bad news.
Rancid wrote:You can still make money.

Buy the bad news.

The stock I purchased was too strong (a household fuel related company) to fall to the level I want to further buy. Indeed it's risen higher than my recent purchases. Too bad I didn't buy a lot of it.
Rancid wrote:You can still make money.

Buy the bad news.

Yeah I think so :) Still I am getting an appreciation for people who work in finance. I've been learning stock options and was using an aggressive strategy, the market tanked dramatically. I bought back in with a defensive strategy on Monday and it shot back up but I didn't get the full gain because I was hedging. Apparently I'd of lost less money if I had just done nothing. Still, these are unusual times and I believe this stock option thing will prove lucrative in the long run.

I'm still waiting to see if it goes down again today, in which case my defensive buys will look smarter.
Well, it went back down and my prediction was more or less correct. It was strange though because it started up, the Fed made a rate cut but then it went down again after they announced their rate cut. So basically the opposite of what one might have expected over that.

At least I can probably relax now and go back to playing guitar and pretending to be a Bernie Sanders supporter on the internet :lol:

Doesn't seem like many are interested in this on PoFo. I could go to a stock forum but it's not as interesting because they mostly only want to talk about stocks. Hopefully we've seen the overall bottom of this thing!
Wulfschilde wrote:Well, it went back down and my prediction was more or less correct. It was strange though because it started up, the Fed made a rate cut but then it went down again after they announced their rate cut. So basically the opposite of what one might have expected over that.

At least I can probably relax now and go back to playing guitar and pretending to be a Bernie Sanders supporter on the internet :lol:

Doesn't seem like many are interested in this on PoFo. I could go to a stock forum but it's not as interesting because they mostly only want to talk about stocks. Hopefully we've seen the overall bottom of this thing!

The problem with this rate cut is fed aknowledging that we are fucked. What i mean by this, Goldman and other banks were wishy washy about this saying "Yeah the coronavirus is kinda bad LIKE SUPERBAD but we will not do any concrete predictions just because we might be wrong" and then the fed does a rate cut confirming that the economy needs help. :knife:

I mean you can speculate on the news if that is your thing and the summer will have a decent uptick I think due to the corona dying down. The problem is august and after. If this virus is not exterminated then August and beyond is going to be hell.

Also China will have to report data at some point, they will probably report some modest growth and if that happens then nod your head and start evacuating assets I think. Actually I would evacuate even before the report because , well, they might not have a choice and be honest by saying, yeah we are in a recession. Arguably this is even worse. :knife:
JohnRawls wrote:The problem with this rate cut is fed aknowledging that we are fucked. What i mean by this, Goldman and other banks were wishy washy about this saying "Yeah the coronavirus is kinda bad LIKE SUPERBAD but we will not do any concrete predictions just because we might be wrong" and then the fed does a rate cut confirming that the economy needs help. :knife:

I mean you can speculate on the news if that is your thing and the summer will have a decent uptick I think due to the corona dying down. The problem is august and after. If this virus is not exterminated then August and beyond is going to be hell.

Also China will have to report data at some point, they will probably report some modest growth and if that happens then nod your head and start evacuating assets I think. Actually I would evacuate even before the report because , well, they might not have a choice and be honest by saying, yeah we are in a recession. Arguably this is even worse. :knife:

Yeah that sounds like a plausible explanation. People are weird.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Find Someone Who Loves You Like Israel Loves Att[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pAf3aBt18 How […]