Coronavirus, World facing Desperate Days - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

About 30 people remained trapped early on Sunday after a five-storey hotel being used for coronavirus quarantine collapsed in the southeast Chinese port city of Quanzhou,Thirty-four people were reported to have been rescued within two hours. There was no news on deaths. A woman said relatives had been nearing the end of their 14-day quarantine in the hotel after returning from Hubei province, where the virus began. She said: “I can’t contact them, they’re not answering their phones.” Beijing has faced increased public anger over its handling of the epidemic....
source : http://www.vikilix.com/2020/03/09/coron ... rate-days/
maz wrote:Coronavirus can melt steel? Yup we're all going to die :eek:

The pilots of the planes that crashed into the dynamited towers on 911 both had an earlier, experimental version of today's post-stockmarket-crash virus.
SaddamHuseinovic wrote:I think it will become the new flu repeating each winter. We have to learn to live with it. It has spread so fast the virus will mutate so no vaccine will help

I think we had like 12,000 cases of H1N1 deaths in the US from 2009-2010 and its come back every year. It seems like I still read about it every now and then and it is no big deal anymore.
maz wrote:I think we had like 12,000 cases of H1N1 deaths in the US from 2009-2010 and its come back every year. It seems like I still read about it every now and then and it is no big deal anymore.

This coronavirus thing is 90% hysteria. It's one hysterical panic after the next with the homo tardicus. People all just lost their shit over the measles last year and that only kills one in ten thousand. :knife:
but somehow they all remain consistently oblivious to real threats like mass surveillance, corporate media, fake Sciene! , and rogue deep states. Immortal psychopaths(states and corporations) stalk the earth and these idiots are worried about coronavirus. :knife:
maz wrote:I think we had like 12,000 cases of H1N1 deaths in the US from 2009-2010 and its come back every year. It seems like I still read about it every now and then and it is no big deal anymore.

I think what happens is that the virus tends to evolve into something that is weaker so then it becomes not a big deal. Generally speaking, it's in the interest of a virus to not be deadly (or disable/incapacitate the host) so that it can spread easier (this is why the cold and flu are very successful at spreading like crazy). A virus that is crazy deadly, burns out faster since it basically kills off all the possible hosts.

My totally unprofessional/unexpert prediction is, Covid-19 evolves to something that is simply not a big deal just like SARs. I think the predictions of massive deaths are just there for all the experts to cover their asses. These are like the weather people during a hurricane, the vast majority of the time, they are dead wrong at predicting the carnage. Only issue is.... sometimes they are right. :eek:
Coronavirus is probably just the beginning in a trend of deadly pandemics as the balance of power shifts from modern civilization to nature again. The fact that we can't help but make our world more interconnected is particularly revolutionary for the evolution of submicroscopic viruses and parasitic particles. Scientists currently believe H5N1 (avian flu), which is presently enzootic but has a 60% mortality rate in humans, is only two or three mutations away from becoming a deadly mammalian contagion. Such a scenario would be so utterly catastrophic that it might as well be thought of as the birth of a new paradigm.

The current pandemic will hopefully serve as a wake up call for the world to coordinate better testing, better vaccine research and deployment, better epidemiological research, stricter laws on wet markets and commercial feeding operations, and so forth.
Rancid wrote:I think what happens is that the virus tends to evolve into something that is weaker so then it becomes not a big deal. Generally speaking, it's in the interest of a virus to not be deadly (or disable/incapacitate the host) so that it can spread easier (this is why the cold and flu are very successful at spreading like crazy). A virus that is crazy deadly, burns out faster since it basically kills off all the possible hosts.

My totally unprofessional/unexpert prediction is, Covid-19 evolves to something that is simply not a big deal just like SARs. I think the predictions of massive deaths are just there for all the experts to cover their asses. These are like the weather people during a hurricane, the vast majority of the time, they are dead wrong at predicting the carnage. Only issue is.... sometimes they are right. :eek:

Look at it this way: it's the first thing to legitimately scare Donald Trump into yielding to expertise.
Donna wrote:Look at it this way: it's the first thing to legitimately scare Donald Trump into yielding to expertise.

except the "experts" are all fear-mongering liars who have bullied Trump into overreaction. Trump doesn't give a fuck about the babbitts, he's hedging because he knows that on the off chance that this thing gets really ugly and he doesn't go along with the hysteria he's gonna get politically crucified. That's what they're all doing. Johnson tried to be a leader when he told the brits to suck it up and deal with it but he waffled when the opportunists started to make hay out of it. He should have stayed the course because it's the right thing in terms of risk management but he didn't have the spine for real leadership.
I've been mostly buying strong technology names that are way off their highs. However, I'm starting to think that some of the consumer discretionary food stuff is mispriced. Take a look at:

JACK
WEN
MCD
DNKN
YUM

They are closing their dine-in facilities, but they are serving up meals. I don't typically eat at these joints but my girlfriend picked up Wendy's yesterday. I don't think these names are going away. They are all national or international brands and will probably be able to get government financing straight away, and they are all still open--just not dine-in. 60-70% off their highs.
Donna wrote:...a trend of deadly pandemics...

3000 deaths in China is deadly? More people there died of pool drownings while eating kale.

It's more like a trend of narratives that use words like 'deadly' (with no stats or science) that lead to deadly hysteria that actually causes a lot of real harm.
Rancid wrote:My totally unprofessional/unexpert prediction is, Covid-19 evolves to something that is simply not a big deal just like SARs. I think the predictions of massive deaths are just there for all the experts to cover their asses. These are like the weather people during a hurricane, the vast majority of the time, they are dead wrong at predicting the carnage. Only issue is.... sometimes they are right. :eek:

Just one minor problem.... It's SARS-CoV-2. It's a version of the SARS Coronavirus and assholes who didn't take SARS seriously enough to finish development of a Vaccine for the first version in 18 years now have blood on their hands as version 2(possibly mutated from the first one, but the same vaccine might also work) rips through the population. Thanks for not taking it seriously guys, now it's back and killing more people.
Donna wrote:Coronavirus is probably just the beginning in a trend of deadly pandemics as the balance of power shifts from modern civilization to nature again. The fact that we can't help but make our world more interconnected is particularly revolutionary for the evolution of submicroscopic viruses and parasitic particles. Scientists currently believe H5N1 (avian flu), which is presently enzootic but has a 60% mortality rate in humans, is only two or three mutations away from becoming a deadly mammalian contagion. Such a scenario would be so utterly catastrophic that it might as well be thought of as the birth of a new paradigm.

doomtastic!
Sivad wrote:doomtastic!

Fact:
This Coronavirus is in fact the SARS virus either mutated to be more infectious or "cousins in the same SARS family".The WHO is covering it up with a fancy "scientific name" and not allowing us to call it by its place of origin (identical country to the first outbreak). Also covering their own ass for the fact they don't have a vaccine for even the original strain 18 years after discovering it.
colliric wrote:Fact:
This Coronavirus is in fact the SARS virus either mutated to be more infectious or "cousins in the same SARS family".The WHO is covering it up with a fancy "scientific name" and not allowing us to call it by its place of origin (identical country to the first outbreak). Also covering their own ass for the fact they don't have a vaccine for even the original strain 18 years after discovering it.

President Trump is not scared to call it the China virus, even with the left-wing media calling him racist.

Trump and Biden have big differences on some issue[…]

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]