Right-wing terrorist kills 17 in Canada - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Evil bastard. Hope he burns in hell.

Saskatchewan Herald wrote:Nova Scotia Terrorist Attack Takes Lives of 17

April 20, 2020

At least seventeen lay dead, including a member of Canada’s RCMP, after an hours-long active shooter event in the Province of Nova Scotia.

After multiple 911 calls regarding a firearms incident in the community of Portapique on Saturday night, officers located several victims at the shooter’s residence, but there was initially no sign of the shooter.

The suspect, identified by RCMP as denturist Gabriel Wortman, was located and killed in the early morning hours Sunday by police. RCMP indicated that Wortman wore an RCMP uniform during the rampage, and may have been driving a vehicle made to look like an RCMP car, but Wortman was not a police officer. Atlantic Canadian publication Frank Magazine reported an antagonistic relationship between Wortman and police last month – we note that Frank is a satirical publication, but the information at the link, while written in satirical style, appears to be accurate.

Anti-authority rhetoric and anti-police discussions have increased across Canada in right-wing groups in recent weeks, as the government has taken lockdown measures in response to the COVID-19 crisis. Wortman, a wealthy denturist who owned numerous properties, is reported to have flown an American flag at his residence and had a lifelong obsession with firearms,

Deaths may have occurred at multiple locations and total at least 17 as of Monday morning. 23-year veteran RCMP Constable Heidi Stevenson is among the dead.

Domestic Terrorism Points to Need for Stronger Government Measures

This is by no means the first act of domestic terrorism in Canada. In Quebec, a right-wing terrorist killed six Muslims peacefully praying at a mosque in 2017. Anti-woman terrorist Alek Minassian killed ten in Toronto in 2018, following anti-feminist shooter Mark Lepine at the Ecole Polytechnique who killed fourteen in 1989. In 2012, security guard Travis Baumgartner shot four of his co-workers leaving three dead, although Baumgartner may have been motivated more by money than by radical sentiments.

The Maritimes are no stranger to domestic terrorism. Anti-Islamic terrorist Matthew Raymond killed four, including two police officers, at an apartment complex in 2018. Anti-government terrorist Justin Borque killed three RCMP officers and severely wounded two more in 2014 in an anti-police attack.

With chronic pro-gun, anti-Islamic, anti-woman, and anti-government propaganda streaming into Canada from the United States, experts are concerned that more attacks by domestic terrorists could occur. Increased gun control measures, including a return to a broad-based registry of all firearms, far greater restrictions on semi-automatic weapons, high-powered weapons, and handguns could prevent this type of serious tragedy from recurring. Additionally, better government monitoring of potential domestic terrorists, particularly those who express anti-woman, anti-government, or anti-Islamic ideals, may help identify and stem future attacks.
This actually runs counter to the narrative that I have read in other places.

The New York Post portrays it as someone who wanted to kill their ex and her new lover then just letting it descend into a mass shooting spree with random victims:

He launched his 14-hour reign of terror around 10 p.m. Saturday, apparently first killing his ex and her new boyfriend, police sources told the Toronto Sun.

The mass murderer — who had been obsessed with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police since high school — wore an RCMP uniform and drove around in a decommissioned cop car for part of his siege, officials said.

Neighbors of Wortman’s in the rural town of Portapique told the Globe and Mail that the madman was a millionaire who struggled with alcohol.

The killer appeared to have started out with “an initial motivation’’ that “turned to randomness,’’ RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki told the CBC.

Authorities said he drove around that night knocking on residents’ doors and pulling over drivers to find victims.

Interestingly, he actually ended up swapping vehicles with the RCMP officer that he killed:

Then he “pulled her out of the car and executed her point-blank . . . took her gun and [ammo], burned his own car and took her car,’’ the source said.

New York Post

I think we will need something more than a report from a satirical magazine saying that he had beef with the police last month to call this guy a right wing terrorist.

The New York Times is even reporting that the police themselves are searching for a motive:

The authorities in eastern Canada were searching for a motive on Monday after a gunman who appeared to be dressed as a police officer and was driving a vehicle what appeared to be Nova Scotia police car killed at least 16 people, one of the country’s worst mass killings in recent memory.

The motive for the mass shooting was not immediately clear. The police said that while the killings appeared to be targeted at the start, they became random as the rampage through Nova Scotia progressed.

“Gabriel always had a sadness about him, but I was so shocked to hear that he’d hurt other people,” Candy Palmater, a university friend, told local news outlets on Sunday. “I don’t know what his later adult life was like, but I can tell you that at university, people weren’t nice to him.”

She said she couldn’t reconcile what he had done with the man she knew.

Scott Balser, a former high school friend, said that Mr. Wortman “was a very nice guy who liked to help others,” according to The Chronicle Herald, a newspaper in Nova Scotia.

Sophie LeBlanc, a woman who wrote on Twitter that her mother went to high school with Mr. Wortman, posted a photo of his yearbook entry. “Gabe’s future may include being an R.C.M.P. officer,” it said.

Archive.is

Nobody who knew him seemed forthcoming to offer a political motive and the events themselves do not indicate something political.

I think... this is potentially an unfair spin, certainly premature, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
@Verv To be perfectly honest, you don't have to do much to become right wing, as most Canadians are anything but.

Anyways, the Canadian news outfit might be privy to some information that the Post is not. We'll have to wait and see. They are still investigating it.

I hope the fucked burns in whatever afterlife there is, as well.
Ter wrote:From what I read this was a non-political event. The ex wife had replaced the guy and he came calling.

Donna's observation that the guy was white is just liberal racism.

Probably the shooter had watched too much CNN and it addled his mind. A lot of those lefties who watch that nonsense are ticking time bombs.

The death of the mountie is a tragic loss. No doubt she was a principled conservative. Condolences to her family.
Donna wrote:Well, he's a white male, owns property and is wealthy, is obsessed with firearms and policing and supplants Canadian multicultural identity with American nationalism. Definitely a fucking rube. Hope he rots in the underworld.

We can now add landlord and businessman to the list.
Yes, @Donna. @SolarCross is right. You shouldn't malign a mass murderer, or present any sort of background that could indicate he's a right-wing extremist!

:roll:
Donna wrote:Well, he's a white male, owns property and is wealthy, is obsessed with firearms and policing and supplants Canadian multicultural identity with American nationalism. Definitely a fucking rube. Hope he rots in the underworld.

This is the most racist post of the year. Judging according to color of skin.
It's not racist. It's stating facts. If Donna had said he was a black male, it wouldn't have been racist, either, as she's not trying to judge, or assert any negative bias, with it.

Read it: Well, he's a white male, owns property and is wealthy, is obsessed with firearms and policing and supplants Canadian multicultural identity with American nationalism.

Are you trying to shut down the fact that he's a right-wing extremist with cries of racism, @Julian658 ? Isn't this the behavior you decry on a regular basis?

Ironic.
Godstud wrote:It's not racist. It's stating facts. If Donna had said he was a black male, it wouldn't have been racist, either, as she's not trying to judge, or assert any negative bias, with it.

Read it: Well, he's a white male, owns property and is wealthy, is obsessed with firearms and policing and supplants Canadian multicultural identity with American nationalism.

Are you trying to shut down the fact that he's a right-wing extremist with cries of racism, @Julian658 ? Isn't this the behavior you decry on a regular basis?

Ironic.

Judging according to skin color is wrong. There is no need to mention skin color. It is racist!
Julian658 wrote:Judging according to skin color is wrong. There is no need to mention skin color. It is racist!
Hypocrite. No one was judging anything. Donna was stating the facts.

I am not "wealthy".

You're an asshole, @SolarCross.
Godstud wrote:Hypocrite. No one was judging anything. Donna was stating the facts.

I am not "wealthy".

You're an asshole, @SolarCross.

God: It is a matter of principle. It is wrong to assume human behavior based on skin color. That is the definition of racism.

Racism is the lowest, most crudely primitive form of collectivism. It is the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man’s skin color.
I have read in a few places that his first victims were his ex and her new penis.
That is motive.

I have come across a number of Canadian news media where they talk extensively about many of the victims but they do not mention the fact that the murderer went after his ex first.

Is it just me or do they cover this up on purpose?
And going on from there, is it because the faultless divorce, adultery being decriminalised, and in many cases the decision on custody of the children and the financial consequences of divorce lead to murder and mayhem, or suicide, in quite a number of instances ?
Just saying.
Ter wrote:I have read in a few places that his first victims were his ex and her new penis.
That is motive.

I have come across a number of Canadian news media where they talk extensively about many of the victims but they do not mention the fact that the murderer went after his ex first.

Is it just me or do they cover this up on purpose?
And going on from there, is it because the faultless divorce, adultery being decriminalised, and in many cases the decision on custody of the children and the financial consequences of divorce lead to murder and mayhem, or suicide, in quite a number of instances ?
Just saying.

Yeah, his ex drove him to it @Ter. Lol.
Ter wrote:That seems to be the case indeed.
Never underestimate the rage of jealousy.
If you have a better idea of a motive, please share it with us.
Thank you.

Seems like that was the initial motive, then he went classic "lost my job too" postal. He's a Denturist after all, can't be too much demand for denturists during this crisis.

I bet he lost his job and was facing debtors.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

That or some of the Republicans are crazy or stup[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]