African-American Asphyxiated by Police in Minneapolis - Page 175 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Wulfschilde wrote:Image

I think we have the freedom not to like it, or even call it out when there is evidence that some others use it for their (undeserved) personal gains. However, if any of the following circumstances hold we have no place to denounce it:

1. The problem itself exists (in this case denouncing it means throwing oneself into trouble)
2. We cannot present a better alternative (which means those "hijacking" it are actually smart asses who IMHO deserve to win)
@wat0n

1. What is your argument here? You seem to he making more than one point and not supporting either. Yes, they might have been able to afford a marriage counsellor, but that is not relevant. The point is to get murderous men (because let’s face it, it is men who shoot women in these scenarios) to go get help before they go on a mass murder spree. And again, having police there just in case is pointless. The school cop who ran and hid during one of the last school shootings was not reprimanded in any way for his complete lack of help.

2. So we agree that the US needs to deal with its systemic racism problem, especially in the context of police brutality and killings.

3. Are you saying that the DA and AG moved immediately to investigate the police in the killing of Breonna Taylor, and the only reason the DA personally stopped his role is because of his other investigation? And if a DA finds that there is no evidence of a crime even when the cops are wearing body cams, then the DA is basically saying that the evidence on the body cams shows that the killing of an innocent man was perfectly legal. And because you keep not addressing my point, I will repeat it:

If the cops are killing obviously innocent people like Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain and getting away with it, it is a reasonable assumption to say that they are almost certainly beating, raping, torturing and killing those whom they believe are criminals and getting away with it.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

1. What is your argument here? You seem to he making more than one point and not supporting either. Yes, they might have been able to afford a marriage counsellor, but that is not relevant. The point is to get murderous men (because let’s face it, it is men who shoot women in these scenarios) to go get help before they go on a mass murder spree.

My point is that, by the time you see some guy facing a mental health crisis, it's clear the treatment has not been going well. And again, why would mental health workers be expected to risk death under that scenario?

Pants-of-dog wrote:And again, having police there just in case is pointless. The school cop who ran and hid during one of the last school shootings was not reprimanded in any way for his complete lack of help.

You mean this guy?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/us/p ... erson.html

Pants-of-Dog wrote:2. So we agree that the US needs to deal with its systemic racism problem, especially in the context of police brutality and killings.

:roll:

Pants-of-dog wrote:3. Are you saying that the DA and AG moved immediately to investigate the police in the killing of Breonna Taylor, and the only reason the DA personally stopped his role is because of his other investigation?

Yes, pretty much.

Pants-of-dog wrote:And if a DA finds that there is no evidence of a crime even when the cops are wearing body cams, then the DA is basically saying that the evidence on the body cams shows that the killing of an innocent man was perfectly legal. And because you keep not addressing my point, I will repeat it:

If the cops are killing obviously innocent people like Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain and getting away with it, it is a reasonable assumption to say that they are almost certainly beating, raping, torturing and killing those whom they believe are criminals and getting away with it.

It seems you don't understand the difference between not having enough evidence for a conviction and thinking that what happened with Elijah McClain was legal. I can perfectly believe someone broke the law yet lack the evidence to jail the person.

What did the DA say when he decided not to pursue with the prosecution?
@wat0n

1. Are you arguing that a person dealing with a mental health episode is a danger to a mental health professional? As for the cop who let lids die, I have no idea. Quote the text. I am referring to Scot Peterson.

2. Provide evidence that the DA thought the cops were breaking the law when they killed Elijah McClain. And because you keep not addressing my point, I will repeat it:

1. Are you arguing that a person dealing with a mental health episode is a danger to a mental health professional?

It can be in some circumstances. Particularly if the said person is holding a firearm, don't you think?

Pants-of-dog wrote:As for the cop who let lids die, I have no idea. Quote the text. I am referring to Scot Peterson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoneman_ ... inactivity

The latest development is that he requested to dismiss the charges, but I don't know if it was the case. He was also forced into retirement.

Pants-of-dog wrote:2. Provide evidence that the DA thought the cops were breaking the law when they killed Elijah McClain. And because you keep not addressing my point, I will repeat it:

I take what the DA said at face value: He didn't say "the alleged actions do not constitute a crime", he said “Based on the investigation presented and the applicable Colorado law, there is no reasonable likelihood of success of proving any state crimes beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. Therefore, no state criminal charges will be filed as a result of this incident.”.

I would not rule out, however, that a new coroner report mandated by the AG (for instance) may conclude his death was a homicide. If so, I would guess he would prosecute.
@wat0n

1. What is the likelihood of a person having a mental health episode also having a gun? And were you referring to Scot Peterson as well? If so, note that he has not been found guilty of any crimes for failing to protect children from a mass murderer.

2. So you have no evidence to support your claim that the DA thought the cops were in the wrong. As it stands, the DA also did nothing, so from a practical point of view, the legal system supports cops when they kill innocents.

1. What is the likelihood of a person having a mental health episode also having a gun?

The probability is not zero, which is why I said cops should not be at the scene but nearby to be able to provide support for the civilian workers just in case. Or should health workers be killed from time to time by mentally ill persons having firearms just to keep cops away?

Pants-of-Dog wrote:And were you referring to Scot Peterson as well? If so, note that he has not been found guilty of any crimes for failing to protect children from a mass murderer.

Is the trial over?

Pants-of-dog wrote:2. So you have no evidence to support your claim that the DA thought the cops were in the wrong. As it stands, the DA also did nothing, so from a practical point of view, the legal system supports cops when they kill innocents.

You have no evidence to support he thinks the killing was legal either. At best, he believes evidence is insufficient.

This is a great reason to charge cops for failing to properly use their bodycams. Even if evidence for an illegal killing was lacking, they could be charged for obstruction of justice.
@wat0n

1. If the likelihood of the person having a mental health episode being armed and dangerous is less likely than the likelihood of a random person being armed and dangerous, then logic would require police to be there for everyone at all times.

2. Has any police officer ever been found guilty of not protecting the public?

3. What the DA believes is irrelevant. What matters is the impact. And the impact is that these killers in blue are still walking the streets with guns, still enjoying the impunity for murder that comes with said blue uniform.

1. If the likelihood of the person having a mental health episode being armed and dangerous is less likely than the likelihood of a random person being armed and dangerous, then logic would require police to be there for everyone at all times.

What makes you believe that's the case?

Pants-of-dog wrote:2. Has any police officer ever been found guilty of not protecting the public?

Yes, and indeed it can create civil liability under Federal law. It may also be a criminal offense depending on the jurisdiction.

Pants-of-dog wrote:3. What the DA believes is irrelevant.

Oh really? Because you've spent quite a while making claims about what DAs believe or don't believe, don't change the goalposts now :|

Pants-of-dog wrote:What matters is the impact. And the impact is that these killers in blue are still walking the streets with guns, still enjoying the impunity for murder that comes with said blue uniform.

Indeed, hence my proposal regarding turning misusing bodycams a criminal offense. It's interesting how incarcerating people can be useful in this instance.
@wat0n

1. As far as I know, there is no reason to think that people with mental health issues are more likely to be armed and dangerous than anyone else. And even if laws restricting people with mental health issues from owning guns are poorly enforced, it is logical to assume that the rate of gun ownership among people with mental health issues is lower than the average.

2. Mention one cop who has been convicted of a crime for not protecting someone, other than someone who is in their custody.

3. You are the one who mentioned that the reaction of the legal system is what is important. And the reaction is to let the cops getaway with it. What you as an individual would do about bidy cams is irrelevant.

1. As far as I know, there is no reason to think that people with mental health issues are more likely to be armed and dangerous than anyone else. And even if laws restricting people with mental health issues from owning guns are poorly enforced, it is logical to assume that the rate of gun ownership among people with mental health issues is lower than the average.

But when they are armed, you cannot guarantee the safety of the civilian first responders. So how about the second responders are just a block or two away in case descalation is not possible?

Pants-of-dog wrote:2. Mention one cop who has been convicted of a crime for not protecting someone, other than someone who is in their custody.

http://www.starkcountyohio.gov/StarkCou ... f?ext=.pdf

Pants-of-dog wrote:3. You are the one who mentioned that the reaction of the legal system is what is important. And the reaction is to let the cops getaway with it. What you as an individual would do about bidy cams is irrelevant.

And the legal system is still investigating both cases, so we still don't know what will come out of that. And no, changing the law is not about what would individual cops would do.

1. Anyone can be armed at any time, so by your logic, every person in the USA needs a cop a block away from them at all times just in case.

Actually that's one of the reasons for the militarization of the police.

But more importantly: A mentally-ill person armed with a gun who's undergoing a crisis is more likely to use it than someone who's not in that situation. Again, why shouldn't cops stand ready to help civilian workers who may need to deal with these extreme situations?

Pants-of-dog wrote:2. Quote the text. This is part of making and supporting an argument.

Rather than quoting the text, allow me to summarize: The case is about an Ohio cop who misused transportation law enforcement resources for his own ends (along with committing other crimes). This is of course a failure to protect the public.

Pants-of-dog wrote:3. Do you have an argument here?

Yes, you are jumping into conclusions without even waiting for the legal process to run its course - exactly how mob justice works.
@wat0n

1. I do not think it is true that a “mentally-ill person armed with a gun who's undergoing a crisis is more likely to use it than someone who's not in that situation”. This seems more like a trope or stereotype from movies about people with mental illness. Provide evidence for this claim.

2. Was he charged with crimes that you are then interpreting as failing to protect the public, or did he get charged with a crime specifically because he was ordered to protect a specific individual and did not? Quote the text.

3. That is not an argument. At best, it is a criticism about my position. It seems more like one of these accusations that conservatives make about progressives being emotional. I am not jumping to any conclusions when I point out that Elijah McClain’s killers are walking the streets right now with guns. That is a simple fact. And it is also a fact they are free to do so because cops and lawyers decided they should not be charged with a crime despite the fact they killed an innocent man. But feel free to explain the conclusion to which I hastily leapt.

1. I do not think it is true that a “mentally-ill person armed with a gun who's undergoing a crisis is more likely to use it than someone who's not in that situation”. This seems more like a trope or stereotype from movies about people with mental illness. Provide evidence for this claim.

Go on

Pants-of-Dog wrote:2. Was he charged with crimes that you are then interpreting as failing to protect the public, or did he get charged with a crime specifically because he was ordered to protect a specific individual and did not? Quote the text.

Richland County court wrote:STATEMENT OF THE FACTS AND CASE.1, 2

{¶2} At all times relevant, Appellant was employed as a police officer with the
Mansfield Police Department. As part of his job responsibilities, Appellant was assigned
to traffic enforcement detail, including the STEP detail (Selective Traffic Enforcement
Program) as an overtime detail.

{¶3} Appellant was certified in the use of the Law Enforcement Automated
Database System (LEADS), and completed recertification tests, scoring high
percentages. Appellant testified at trial he ran LEADS searches routinely as part of his
traffic enforcement duties. Appellant testified he understood LEADS could not be used
for an unlawful purpose or for personal gain.

{¶4} On February 26, 2015, in Case No. 2015CR197, the Richland County
Grand Jury indicted Appellant on 17 counts of LEADS violations, 14 counts of dereliction
of duty, one count of burglary, one count of trespass, one count of attempted gross sexual
imposition, one count of attempted sexual battery, one count of menacing, two counts of
tampering with evidence, one count of sexual battery, and one count of public indecency.
On July 10, 2015, the Richland County Grand Jury indicted Appellant on one count of
menacing by stalking, in violation of R.C. 2903.211(A)(1), in case number 2015 CR 637.
On July 24, 2015, the trial court joined 2015 CR 197 with the indictment in 2015 CR 637.3

By using the system for his personal gain (get the phone numbers of women if you read further), he did derelict on his duties and, yes, he did of course fail to protect the public.

Pants-of-Dog wrote:3. That is not an argument. At best, it is a criticism about my position. It seems more like one of these accusations that conservatives make about progressives being emotional. I am not jumping to any conclusions when I point out that Elijah McClain’s killers are walking the streets right now with guns. That is a simple fact. And it is also a fact they are free to do so because cops and lawyers decided they should not be charged with a crime despite the fact they killed an innocent man. But feel free to explain the conclusion to which I hastily leapt.

And yet, that "simple fact" stated without the obviously relevant context that they have not been found guilty of any crimes because the investigation is still going on.
@wat0n

1. Please quote the relevant text. Again, it is not my job to read your sources for you, find the relevant text for you, quote said text for you, relate said text to your argument for you, and then reply to it.

2. Thank you for quoting the relevant text. Please note that the cop was not punished for failing to protect a specific individual whom he was order to protect, which was the actual argument being made. This does not support your claim.

3. And you are leaving out the fact that widespread protests, international media, and public pressure are the only reasons why the investigation is ongoing. If the public had not responded, the cops would have already gotten away with killing Elijah McClain, an innocent person.

1. Please quote the relevant text. Again, it is not my job to read your sources for you, find the relevant text for you, quote said text for you, relate said text to your argument for you, and then reply to it.

The section is long, and I would say most of it is relevant. The summary: Mental illness is indeed associated with higher incidence of violence (particularly against themselves i.e. suicide), although people who are not mentally ill may be more violent under some circumstances (e.g. if engaging in substance abuse).

Pants-of-dog wrote:2. Thank you for quoting the relevant text. Please note that the cop was not punished for failing to protect a specific individual whom he was order to protect, which was the actual argument being made. This does not support your claim.

Where did I claim they had been ordered to protect a specific individual? Again: If cops direct people to act in a way that endangers them, they are liable under Federal law. If they stand by while there is a flagrant violation of the law in jurisdictions that punish dereliction of duty, which also includes misusing law enforcement resources.

Pants-of-dog wrote:3. And you are leaving out the fact that widespread protests, international media, and public pressure are the only reasons why the investigation is ongoing. If the public had not responded, the cops would have already gotten away with killing Elijah McClain, an innocent person.

Maybe, but it's also part of the job of elected officials like DAs to deal with the fallout from public opinion. You also cherry-picked a case where this happened, while ignoring the cases where cops have been prosecuted for breaking the law, even without any large protests.
@wat0n

1. Quote the text concerning gun violence. I will quote some myself that contradicts the myth that people with mental health issues are dangerous:

Perhaps most importantly, the 1-year population attributable risk of violence associated with serious mental illness alone was found to be only 4% in the ECA surveys. Attributable risk takes into account both the magnitude of risk and the number of people in the risk category within the population [13]. The ECA results implied that even if the elevated risk of violence in people with mental illness were reduced to the average risk in those without mental illness, an estimated 96% of the violence that currently occurs in the general population would continue to occur. The ECA study also found a substantially increased risk of violent behavior within particular demographic subgroups of participants—specifically, younger individuals, males, those of lower socioeconomic status, and those having problems involving alcohol or illicit drug use; these risk factors were statistically predictive of violence in people with or without mental illness [13]

and

After the ECA report, several other notable studies were conducted in the United States examining violent behavior in psychiatric patients. The best known of these is the MacArthur Violence Risk Assessment Study (MVRAS) [15], which followed up a cohort of more than 1000 discharged psychiatric inpatients over 1 year in the mid-1990s and used self- and family-report interviews to measure violent outcomes. The MVRAS found that substance abuse comorbidity was responsible for much of the violence in discharged psychiatric patients; indeed, patients who had only mental illness—that is, without substance abuse—had no higher risk of violent behavior than their neighbors in the community, persons selected at random from the same census tracts in which the patients resided.

and

With respect to the correlates and hypothesized mechanisms that may lead to violence in people with mental illness, some scholars have theorized that social and economic risk factors such as poverty, crime victimization, involvement with illegal drugs and drug markets, early life trauma exposure, and ambient neighborhood crime largely account for the apparent link between mental illness and violent behavior toward others [29]. These studies have reported that persons with serious mental illnesses in the community are often socially disadvantaged over their life course and thus exposed to many covarying risk factors for violence. Along these lines, Swanson et al. [30] published a study on the prevalence and correlates of interpersonal violent behavior in a five-state pooled sample of n = 802 adult psychiatric outpatients with serious mental illness who were receiving services in the states' public behavioral health care systems. The study painted a picture of a group of individuals with serious and disabling mental health conditions, but also a marginalized group with very low social capital—mostly unemployed, economically impoverished, typically residing in disadvantaged neighborhoods, often misusing alcohol and illicit drugs, and reporting alarmingly high rates of trauma and violent victimization over their life course. Many of these characteristics and experiences were found to be highly significant correlates of violent behavior. Conversely, participants in the study who merely had a diagnosis of serious mental illness but did not have a history of violent victimization, were not exposed to neighborhood violence, and were not abusing drugs or alcohol, had annual rates of violent behavior in line with the general population without any mental illness—about 2% [30].

Let me know when you have the gun violence info.

2. None of that has anything to do with your claim that police assigned to protect someone (as you propose) are obligated to protect those people. The law says that police are not obligated to protect people.

3. I explained why I am focusing on Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor. Would you like me to repeat it?

1. Quote the text concerning gun violence. I will quote some myself that contradicts the myth that people with mental health issues are dangerous:

Perhaps most importantly, the 1-year population attributable risk of violence associated with serious mental illness alone was found to be only 4% in the ECA surveys. Attributable risk takes into account both the magnitude of risk and the number of people in the risk category within the population [13]. The ECA results implied that even if the elevated risk of violence in people with mental illness were reduced to the average risk in those without mental illness, an estimated 96% of the violence that currently occurs in the general population would continue to occur. The ECA study also found a substantially increased risk of violent behavior within particular demographic subgroups of participants—specifically, younger individuals, males, those of lower socioeconomic status, and those having problems involving alcohol or illicit drug use; these risk factors were statistically predictive of violence in people with or without mental illness [13]

and

After the ECA report, several other notable studies were conducted in the United States examining violent behavior in psychiatric patients. The best known of these is the MacArthur Violence Risk Assessment Study (MVRAS) [15], which followed up a cohort of more than 1000 discharged psychiatric inpatients over 1 year in the mid-1990s and used self- and family-report interviews to measure violent outcomes. The MVRAS found that substance abuse comorbidity was responsible for much of the violence in discharged psychiatric patients; indeed, patients who had only mental illness—that is, without substance abuse—had no higher risk of violent behavior than their neighbors in the community, persons selected at random from the same census tracts in which the patients resided.

and

With respect to the correlates and hypothesized mechanisms that may lead to violence in people with mental illness, some scholars have theorized that social and economic risk factors such as poverty, crime victimization, involvement with illegal drugs and drug markets, early life trauma exposure, and ambient neighborhood crime largely account for the apparent link between mental illness and violent behavior toward others [29]. These studies have reported that persons with serious mental illnesses in the community are often socially disadvantaged over their life course and thus exposed to many covarying risk factors for violence. Along these lines, Swanson et al. [30] published a study on the prevalence and correlates of interpersonal violent behavior in a five-state pooled sample of n = 802 adult psychiatric outpatients with serious mental illness who were receiving services in the states' public behavioral health care systems. The study painted a picture of a group of individuals with serious and disabling mental health conditions, but also a marginalized group with very low social capital—mostly unemployed, economically impoverished, typically residing in disadvantaged neighborhoods, often misusing alcohol and illicit drugs, and reporting alarmingly high rates of trauma and violent victimization over their life course. Many of these characteristics and experiences were found to be highly significant correlates of violent behavior. Conversely, participants in the study who merely had a diagnosis of serious mental illness but did not have a history of violent victimization, were not exposed to neighborhood violence, and were not abusing drugs or alcohol, had annual rates of violent behavior in line with the general population without any mental illness—about 2% [30].

Wow, congrats, you can cherry-pick! Why didn't you quote stuff like the following?

Swanson et. al. wrote:Analysis of ECA data from three sites (Baltimore, St. Louis, and Los Angeles, with a combined total of n = 10,024 participants) identified a statistically significant but fairly modest positive association between violence and mental illness. The 12-month prevalence of any minor or serious violence among people with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or major depression was about 12% overall, and 7% in the subgroup with these disorders alone and no substance abuse comorbidity. That was compared with a general-population prevalence of about 2% in persons without mental disorder or substance use disorder, for an adjusted relative risk of 3:1 for mental illness alone. Lifetime violence rates (which could include violence that occurred at any time and not necessarily during a period of mental disorder) were estimated at 15% for the population without mental illness, 33% in those with serious mental illness only, and 55% for those with serious mental illness and substance abuse combined.

This is the paragraph before the first paragraph you cited. By the way, even if mental illnesses can lead to more violent behavior, since the vast majority of Americans are not mentally ill, it's unlikely mental illness can explain the overall prevalence of violent incidents. The following paragraph, which is the next paragraph after your first fragment says the following:

Swanson et. al. wrote:The ECA study thus debunked claims on both extremes of the debate about violence and mental illness—from the stigma-busting advocates on the one side who insisted that mental illness had no intrinsic significant connection to violence at all, and from the fearmongers on the other side who asserted that the mentally ill are a dangerous menace and should be locked up; both views were wrong. The facts showed that people with serious mental illnesses are, indeed, somewhat more likely to commit violent acts than people who are not mentally ill, but the large majority are not violent toward others. Moreover, when persons with mental illness do behavior violently, it is often—although not always—for the same reasons that non–mentally ill people engage in violent behavior. In short, violence is a complex societal problem that is caused, more often than not, by other things besides mental illness. (Suicide or self-inflicted harm, is strongly related to mental illness, as will be discussed later in the article.)

So yes, that study does support the notion that mentally-ill people tend to be more violent than people who are not mentally ill.

Now let's see your second cherry-picked paragraph. Firstly, let's quote the whole paragraph (the missing part bolded), shall we?

Swanson et. al. wrote:After the ECA report, several other notable studies were conducted in the United States examining violent behavior in psychiatric patients. The best known of these is the MacArthur Violence Risk Assessment Study (MVRAS) [15], which followed up a cohort of more than 1000 discharged psychiatric inpatients over 1 year in the mid-1990s and used self- and family-report interviews to measure violent outcomes. The MVRAS found that substance abuse comorbidity was responsible for much of the violence in discharged psychiatric patients; indeed, patients who had only mental illness—that is, without substance abuse—had no higher risk of violent behavior than their neighbors in the community, persons selected at random from the same census tracts in which the patients resided. However, because many of the patients lived in disadvantaged high-crime neighborhoods in the inner city and because the base rates of violence among both the patients and community comparison groups were substantially higher than in the ECA study, one interpretation of the MacArthur Violence Risk Assessment Study finding is that the social-environmental influences on violence are stronger than the effects of psychopathology and tend to “wash out” those effects at the population level.

Of course no one has claimed that these socioeconomic factors may not be relevant, in reality they are perhaps even more relevant than mental illness. The claim I made is that mental health professionals may be exposing themselves to a higher risks when acting as first responders to a mental illness crisis, which may warrant having the police close by (a block away) to provide backup if called upon to do so. There may also be neighborhoods where the danger is such that they would be exposing themselves to risk by merely being there, even without interacting with any mentally-ill persons, such as places where government officials or even outsiders in general are not welcome and received with hostility whenever they show up.

Now as for your third paragraph, how about you quote the next paragraph too?

Swanson et. al. wrote:At the same time, there is evidence that psychiatric symptoms—and particular combinations of symptoms such as delusions, suspiciousness, and extreme anger—can increase violence risk under certain conditions in certain individuals, and that treatment such as antipsychotic medication to reduce these symptoms can, in turn, reduce violence risk [33,34]. A recent large meta-analysis identified a range of risk factors for violence in persons with psychotic symptoms, which notably included concurrent substance abuse (especially polysubstance abuse) along with antisocial or criminal history, but also identified treatment nonadherence as a significant risk factor in these individuals [35]. Common risk factors for violence can be potentiated by major psychopathology that goes untreated. Persons with a psychotic disorder and cooccurring substance misuse, in particular, tend to have compounding problems: they may “use the wrong drugs” [36] while also failing to take prescribed medication to manage their primary psychiatric symptoms, with the result that psychotic symptoms such as excessive threat perception and hostility can be exacerbated and become more likely to precipitate violence. Cognitive distortion combined with intoxication may also create or worsen conflict in social relationships; aggressive impulses may be disinhibited; and criminogenic social influences that attend the procurement of illegal drugs may, at the same time, increase risk of violent behavior [30,37].

More generally, mental illness may also interact with the specifics of the personal history, socioeconomic environment and substance use by the patient. The same can hold for people without any mental illness... So?

I think this paragraph and Figure 1 provide good summaries of the facts here:

Swanson et. al. wrote:Studies that have examined the prevalence of violence in psychiatric patients vary widely and systematically by the clinical setting in which the studies are conducted [27]. As shown in Figure 1, meta-analytic studies have found the lowest rates of violence, on average, in surveys of outpatients in treatment (8%). Higher average rates are seen in studies of discharged hospital patients (13%), and those who present in psychiatric emergency settings (23%). Even higher rates tend to be reported in retrospective studies of involuntarily committed patients (36%) [27] and studies of first-episode psychosis patients during the period preceding their first treatment encounter (37%) [28]. Violence risk in people experiencing a first episode of psychosis is of concern, because these tend to be young adults whose symptoms may go untreated for an extended period before contact with a mental health treatment provider who could intervene; firearms restriction regimes based on background checks of records also will not find them

This also supports your previous idea that treatment would help to prevent incidents such as the shooting at the Chicago Mercy. But first responders, given what their job is about, cannot be presumed to be in a position to enjoy these benefits.

Pants-of-Dog wrote:Let me know when you have the gun violence info.

Since they already face greater restrictions to legally buy guns, I would not be surprised it would be overall lower than for the general population. But conditional on having a gun, there is no reason to assume this would be the case.

Pants-of-Dog wrote:2. None of that has anything to do with your claim that police assigned to protect someone (as you propose) are obligated to protect those people. The law says that police are not obligated to protect people.

So dereliction does not exist and neither does the concept of a "special relationship" between the police and a victimized person :roll:

Pants-of-Dog wrote:3. I explained why I am focusing on Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor. Would you like me to repeat it?

Do as you please, the irony is that the Taylor case also goes against your narrative since the DA recused himself and handed the inquiry to the State before any protests began (he did so on May 13)
@wat0n

1. I see that you were also unable to find any quotes to support your claim that mentally ill people are more likely to engage in gun violence. Let me know when you find any.

2. Dereliction can mean many things. And if you are suggesting that the police have a special relationship (by law) with a victimised person that obligates police to protect the victimised person (by law), then present evidence for that special relationship.

3. How does that relate to the argument that the DA let the killer cops walk?

Trump appears to realize the RFK Jr is poised to […]

I'm trying to figure ot if the opening premise is […]

BRICS will fail

That's because the same resources were exploited […]

My position has always been very clear. Ukraine s[…]