Space X Becomes First Private Company to Build Space Craft and Put Humans in Space - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15096342
Rugoz wrote:What is difficult is to make it work economically, given the small demand for launches compared to other forms of transportation.

I always thought they were developing the 8-booster Vulkan as the means to transport lots of materiel to [militarise] the Moon. If that was the case, the costs would not have played into it until it all went to shit and the SU was collapsing .
Last edited by ingliz on 01 Jun 2020 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
#15096370
Rugoz wrote:Militarizing the Moon only makes sense in sci-fi novels

A lot of wild rumours were flying around the 'Star Wars' years and after.

But a few years ago this had the US accusing Russia and China of militarizing space

Dmitry Rogozin, director general of Russia's Roscosmos State Space Corp. and the former deputy defense minister, said that the Russian and Chinese space programs were considering working jointly to establish a lunar station.

Newsweek 2 Oct. 2018


:lol:
#15096620
Seriously skinster, can you communicate through anything but tweets? Maybe it's not malevolence, maybe you're simply inept.

$5bn is the wrong number. SpaceX got $3.1bn from NASA for the development of Commercial Crew (a larger sum goes to Boeing for their vehicle). That is very cheap compared to past human spaceflight programs.
#15097171
@skinster

And you can keep crying about the success and triumph of American capitalism here when it comes to Space X's successful launch. :lol: And remember, there is only one nation who put a man on the moon and who has successfully came up with re-usuable capsule, orbital rocket stage boosters. It wasn't the Soviet Union. There is only one nation who has put human beings on the moon and that is the U.S. 8)
#15097233
@skinster

Well sorry skinster, I can't read any of your tweets you put up because I have anti-tracking capabilities enabled on my browser so that third parties like Twitter can't track my browsing habits (and I would assume you would have the courage to communicate by saying something yourself instead of relying on somebody else or Twitter to do it for you). If you have something to say, you'll just to say it yourself IF you want to communicate something to me. I can't read things from third parties due to the anti-tracking capabilities I have enabled on my browser. I like to protect my privacy. 8) I am sure others here value their privacy too. ;)
#15097430
Politics_Observer wrote:Well sorry skinster, I can't read any of your tweets you put up because I have anti-tracking capabilities enabled on my browser so that third parties like Twitter can't track my browsing habits


Problem is, sometimes tweets contain useful information. I don't want to block all tweets just because skinster has tweet diarrhea. Everybody else on Pofo uses the feature responsibly.
#15097442
Politics_Observer wrote:And you can keep crying about the success and triumph of American capitalism here when it comes to Space X's successful launch. And remember, there is only one nation who put a man on the moon and who has successfully came up with re-usuable capsule, orbital rocket stage boosters. It wasn't the Soviet Union. There is only one nation who has put human beings on the moon and that is the U.S.


Project Apollo was probably the greatest engineering achievement of all time. I have no problem acknowledging that, and I find that whole period absolutely fascinating (although the idea that it has any bearing on the superiority of "American capitalism" is a bit of a reach, lol).

But SpaceX successfully getting two guys to the International Space Station after 10 years of being very heavily subsidised by the American government is hardly a great milestone in manned space exploration, is it? :lol:
Last edited by Heisenberg on 04 Jun 2020 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
#15097451
Heisenberg wrote:Project Apollo was probably the greatest engineering achievement of all time. I have no problem acknowledging that, and I find that whole period absolutely fascinating (although the idea that it has any bearing on the superiority of "American capitalism" is a bit of a reach, lol).

But SpaceX successfully getting two guys to the International Space Station after 10 years of being very heavily subsidised by the American government is hardly a great milestone in manned space exploration, is it? :lol:


Yes, because they basically reduced the price of taking KGs in to orbit significantly. They should be able to outcompete the Soyuz and Arianne 5-6 out of the market if both don't introduce any significant improvements.

The long impact of this is that space exploration and research is more affordable for everyone now because of this. Be it doing research, making stations in space or on some planets etc etc etc.

Also an important factor here is that it was mostly done using private money. Meaning that the state subsidies were very small compared to what they used to be. Previously it took dozens of billions and in some cases hundreds of billions to achieve this. Now it took what, some private capital and 5bn of governmnet subsidies? That is a steal.

Russians are investing dozens of billions of dollars in to their rocketry and are not having even 1/10th of the output that Musk has achieved recently. The only comparable programs are in Europe but Musks rockets seem to be ahead efficiency wise, at least for now.
#15097502
Heisenberg wrote:Project Apollo was probably the greatest engineering achievement of all time. I have no problem acknowledging that, and I find that whole period absolutely fascinating (although the idea that it has any bearing on the superiority of "American capitalism" is a bit of a reach, lol).

But SpaceX successfully getting two guys to the International Space Station after 10 years of being very heavily subsidised by the American government is hardly a great milestone in manned space exploration, is it? :lol:


As @JohnRawls said there's a rationale of why this is a major achievement. Another is that it may actually be necessary to start with government led space exploration to internationally regulate the property claims that will come out of it. Yet another is that the private sector may not be able or willing to take the risks associated with early space exploration (I sure as hell wouldn't put my pension savings on this).
#15097591
@JohnRawls

JohnRawls wrote:Yes, because they basically reduced the price of taking KGs in to orbit significantly. They should be able to outcompete the Soyuz and Arianne 5-6 out of the market if both don't introduce any significant improvements.

The long impact of this is that space exploration and research is more affordable for everyone now because of this. Be it doing research, making stations in space or on some planets etc etc etc.


John hit the nail on the head here. This is an accomplishment because Space X has made space travel significantly cheaper and more available. I know Tom Cruise has been talking about filming a movie in space due to some of these new developments. This would have not been possible previously.

Fuck off. :knife: You're one of the good ones D[…]

Couldn't these things be taken as evidence that […]

End of maduro - hopefully.

My questions would be: 1. Why support a System t[…]

Election 2020

@blackjack21 I never said that Trump is always w[…]