Alexey Navalny detained on return to Moscow - Page 18 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

B0ycey wrote:Perhaps, but Yanokovych lost the people of Kiev and the straw snapped when he pulled out of the EU agreement and took Russian cash. There isn't the same pull against Putin in regards to Navalrys imprisonment. In fact if anything it is getting weaker.

Putin's actions are far worse than Yanukovych's actions and the Russian momentum against him has been more powerful as well, given the circumstances.
It was fast, so he just won't run in the 2024 Russian presidential election.

Wikipedia wrote:Presidential elections are scheduled to be held in Russia in March 2024. In accordance with electoral law, the first round will be held on Sunday, 17 March. The elections will be the first after the 2020 constitutional reforms.

If no candidate receives more than half the vote, a second round will take place exactly three weeks later on 7 April 2024.
Beren wrote:It was fast, so he just won't run in the 2024 Russian presidential election.

Why does that matter though? Wouldn't they just ballot stuff for Putin anyway?

They could also buy Dominion voting machines too. :lol:
Russian doctor who treated Navalny after poisoning has died
CNN, on February 5, 2021 wrote:Leonid Volkov, Navalny's chief of staff, confirmed Maximishin was in charge of treating the opposition leader. "Sergey Maximishin was the head of department that treated Alexey Navalny and was in charge of his treatment -- specifically his medically induced coma," Volkov told CNN.

"(Maximishin) knew more than anyone else about Alexey's condition so I can't dismiss possibility of foul play," he added.

"However Russia's health care system is very poor and it's not uncommon for doctors of his age to suddenly die. I doubt there will any investigation into his death," Volkov continued.

CNN is seeking additional comment from local health authorities into the cause of Maximishin's death. Deaths of Russian frontline medical workers, including whistleblowers, became a politically charged topic in the country amid the Covid-19 pandemic. CNN has no evidence that any foul play was involved.

ImageSergey Maximishin died suddenly, according to the
hospital.

@noemon , first of all, I wish you a good Great Lent this year. I'm trying to be off the internet from now until after Pascha, but I saw your post and have decided to answer it. Thank you for your patience.

Regarding my comment about the Turks and WWI and it's aftermath, the massacres of the Armenians and Pontic Greeks, etc;

Mate, Constantinople was liberated(no thanks to Russia) and then Russia directly armed Kemal to take it.

The Bolshevik Revolution happened. And some would say that Russia and the Soviet Union are and were two different political entities. That's not to say that I'm unaware of the Bolshevik support for Kemal, but then there's always been a strong resistance at all times by the West to the liberation of Tsargrad.

Same time 100 years ago, the Greek flag and the Cross were flying over Constantinople.

Briefly. Had the Russians been there, the Cross would still fly over Constantinople to this day.

I'm asking you again:

How on earth are you going to spin this?

It's not for me to support or not support Putin's government of Russia; he replaced a bad President who was destroying Russia, and Putin's replacement obviously should be a patriot who represents Russian interests first and foremost.

On the situation in the Ukraine;

What on earth are you talking about? that you felt Russian people to be in danger in the Ukraine?

Former Ukrainian citizens of Velikorussian descent have been and are in danger in today's Ukraine, which is why the Crimea decided to rejoin Russia and why the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics were created.

What is your problem with the Ukraine signing a trade deal with the EU?

I have a problem with the EU in general, it being German dominated and basically an enemy of it's member states in my opinion.

They did now, so what? Did the world fall apart? You went to war with the Ukraine to prevent it from trading with Europe. What is wrong with you? And you 're trying to defend it too. :eh:

There was no war between Russia and the Ukraine. The war has been between the Ukrainian government and a portion of it's former citizens.

If people want to trade with Europe they should be able to without having to worry whether Russia would kill them to prevent them.

:roll:

That's not what this is all about.

Americans stopped their operations in Syria for years now. If they come back, this time it will be to put an end to the mess.

Nonsense.

What do I refuse to see?

A lot in my opinion. But i'm still trying to understand your worldview so perhaps that is a factor in what I'm missing in seeing of your worldview.

Real men and proud nations do not blame foreigners for their failures, they look at them in the eye and face them down.

Ah, sometimes there are enemies from within and from without.

Even if foreigners turn them into stooges which is what Putin really is, that is on them and the failure of their system to prevent a foreign takeover.

I don't believe that's what Putin has been, but I do agree with your statement here.

Your problems are far closer to home than abroad. You do not have a functioning state, nor do you have a functioning economy.
That is on you and not on any foreigner.

Things could be better, but they could be worse, far worse.

Unless you take destiny onto your own hands and learn how to organise a state with consent and logic, you will never join any of those who have already made the leap. Because you do not have a mandate to and without a consensus and a mandate you can not operate on that basis.

The consensus that exists is something against the West, or rather, what the West is increasingly becoming, that the West is against Russia in an existential sense.
Happy Lent @annatar1914

annatar1914 wrote:The consensus that exists is something against the West, or rather, what the West is increasingly becoming, that the West is against Russia in an existential sense.

This is a central question in the way all nations see themselves. Half true, half fake this can be said by any country in the world even among all the western countries themselves. There is not a single country without grievance, slight, insult and injury from another. This idea pervades a lot of nations(possibly all of them) and under the cover of such a paranoia lots of things can and do take place that is why this idea is ok to simmer up to a point(ideally up to the point of its actual truth) but when it boils, the entire nation just stands still like a terrified cat and maintains that position like a statue resulting in such actions like Navalny and all the others sitting in prison for just getting involved in Russian politics.

Consider Israel or Serbia, how the people in these countries may think that the world(not just the west) may be against them, I would say that they both have a lot more reason than the Russians to be paranoid but they both have democratic governments. Evidently, this existential paranoia is not a good enough reason to avoid democracy, heck in the antiquity a democratic city-state was teetering on the brink of extinction every single day but they still preferred democracy over tyranny.

annatar1914 wrote:That's not what this is all about.

What is it about? Ukrainians wanted to sign an association trade agreement with the EU that would enable Ukrainians to work, travel and do business in Europe. Why did Russia have a fit of rage about it? resulting in war, partition and death in Europe in the 2010's?

Russia is still enraged with the Greeks and has excommunicated all the Orthodox people out of spite for recognising the independence of the Ukranian Orthodox church.

How is any of this stuff "normal" in any way?
Navalny poisoning: CIA, MI6, ‘discredited’ state-funded Bellingcat play key role in accusing Russia
Western media coverage has overlooked the key role of the CIA, MI6, and the NATO member state-funded outlet Bellingcat in generating the allegation that Russia’s FSB poisoned Alexei Navalny.

Russia’s FSB intelligence agency has been accused of poisoning opposition activist Alexei Navalny. While the allegation may prove to be true, Western media coverage has overlooked the key role of the CIA, MI6, and the state-funded outlet Bellingcat in generating it.

Western media outlets have failed to disclose that Bellingcat is funded by NATO member states, including the US via the National Endowment for Democracy, and that Bellingcat has a dubious record. In a leaked assessment, the UK government’s Integrity Initiative wrote: “Bellingcat was somewhat discredited, both by spreading disinformation itself, and by being willing to produce reports for anyone willing to pay.”

And few have paid attention to reporting by the New York Times that shortly after Navalny was flown to Germany for treatment, “representatives from the Central Intelligence Agency and Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service provided members of the German government with details about the poisoning, including the identities of the Federal Security Service officers involved, that directly implicated the Russian government.”

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/12/27/nava ... ng-russia/
skinster wrote:Propaganda from skinster

Just think how far you have fallen. A person got poisoned, Germans diagnosed it and now he is literally in jail after recovery because he is a political opponent of the regime and came back to Russia. And you here trying to imply that this is somehow a Western Conspiracy. Let that sink in.
JohnRawls wrote:Just think how far you have fallen. A person got poisoned, Germans diagnosed it and now he is literally in jail after recovery because he is a political opponent of the regime and came back to Russia. And you here trying to imply that this is somehow a Western Conspiracy. Let that sink in.

You think the Russians are incapable of a proper poisonings?
Oxymoron wrote:You think the Russians are incapable of a proper poisonings?

They are incapable of doing it all the time. The problem with Novichoc is that it has been undetected many times but you can't just spray a huge dose that will kill 100% because you will have a lot of side casualties aka the UK case. So how it is done apparently is that you try to stick the dose to the minimal so it will be hard to detect and there won't be huge amount of side casualties since it is a chemical weapon after all. But when you go with the minimal doses then there is high chance that you won't kill the person. At least this has been the case with several people even before Navalny already and this wasn't the first time they tried actually.
JohnRawls wrote:They are incapable of doing it all the time. The problem with Novichoc is that it has been undetected many times but you can't just spray a huge dose that will kill 100% because you will have a lot of side casualties aka the UK case. So how it is done apparently is that you try to stick the dose to the minimal so it will be hard to detect and there won't be huge amount of side casualties since it is a chemical weapon after all. But when you go with the minimal doses then there is high chance that you won't kill the person. At least this has been the case with several people even before Navalny already and this wasn't the first time they tried actually.

Its a good theory, but it is also possible that Ukrainians, who have the same Soviet spycraft could replicate this and plan a low enough dose... and make Russia look bad and destabilized their political system.
Oxymoron wrote:Its a good theory, but it is also possible that Ukrainians, who have the same Soviet spycraft could replicate this and plan a low enough dose... and make Russia look bad and destabilized their political system.

Its not a theory. There has been cross examination of people who died and the movement of the same people that were following navalny. There can be at least 3 almost guaranteed matches for almost all of the team and 5-6 who are under question. Most of whom were critics of Putins regime, anti-corruption fighters or some nationalists who were pro-independance or more autonomy for some group.

@skinster

UK did a backlog check after Skripals. The Russians probably killed around 15 people successfully without anybody noticing before Skripal with Novichok. And that is just in the UK.
JohnRawls wrote:UK did a backlog check after Skripals. The Russians probably killed around 15 people successfully without anybody noticing before Skripal with Novichok. And that is just in the UK.

If you're going to make claims like this please back them up with evidence because I don't trust warmongers at face value, sorry.
skinster wrote:If you're going to make claims like this please back them up with evidence because I don't trust warmongers at face value, sorry.

I am not gonna dig up 2 year old research articles for you skinster because you never cared before when I gave them to you. You will never listen or don't care in the first place considering that you think that the Navalny situation to be some kind of CIA, MI5, etc conspiracy. You happily believe any bullshit as long as it is anti-Western or if it can explain any anti-Western countries severe wrong doings. You simply don't care that Russia runs a state sponsored hit squads that use chemical weapons against the regimes enemies because the regime itself is anti-Western.
skinster wrote:Sorry didn't read your post since there was no blue lines / evidence for anything.

Last couple of times when I gave you blue lines you just ignored it. I mean as much as I enjoy beating my head against the wall, not this time for an obscure article from 2 years ago on a topic that most people on the internet don't care about so it will be a nightmare to find.

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]