Reddit Trolls Screw Hedge Funds out of $13 Billion. Wall Street MALDING - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

New data is coming in that suggest that the whole thing was basically co-opted by institutional investors. Basically, the short squeeze was started by retail investors, but then institutional investors jumped in on the squeeze to see if they can profit too. One firm reported a $700 million gain. It was really the institutional investors getting in on the action that pushed the price up so high, not the reddit folks.

Analysts and those in academia are starting to say that this whole thing wasn't Reddit Versus Wall street, it was really Wall street versus Wall street.
Rancid wrote:Analysts and those in academia are starting to say that this whole thing wasn't Reddit Versus Wall street, it was really Wall street versus Wall street.

This wouldn't surprise me. If you can see clowns were jumping on this earlier enough, it would be quite easy to make money off this. And Wall Street is where it's at. It's not like a reddit post. You can see what is happening when it's happening.
Rancid wrote:New data is coming in that suggest that the whole thing was basically co-opted by institutional investors. Basically, the short squeeze was started by retail investors, but then institutional investors jumped in on the squeeze to see if they can profit too. One firm reported a $700 million gain. It was really the institutional investors getting in on the action that pushed the price up so high, not the reddit folks.

Analysts and those in academia are starting to say that this whole thing wasn't Reddit Versus Wall street, it was really Wall street versus Wall street.

Rancid wrote:New data is coming in that suggest that the whole thing was basically co-opted by institutional investors. Basically, the short squeeze was started by retail investors, but then institutional investors jumped in on the squeeze to see if they can profit too. One firm reported a $700 million gain. It was really the institutional investors getting in on the action that pushed the price up so high, not the reddit folks.

This is interesting information and good analysis. However, to be slightly contrarian, the wall streeters probably just gauged the way the wind was blowing, and the movement was caused, it seems, by the social media. The implication of this is the wall streeters and their puppy dogs in congress, will attempt to supersede such future actions, and an arms race will pursue, and that means changes to social media potentially, as if Trump's deplatforming wasn't catalyst enough. But, actually, I suspect the powers which be will lose this arms race, because they are always one step behind, but they will possibly cause a bit of collateral damage. And I don't give a fuck really, I don't consider high speed internet to be a human right (and I don't have high speed internet, myself), and contemplate every other day burning all of my technology devices in a nice big bon fire. I don't know what the form of it will be, but I do anticipate reaction from the power players in response to this gamestonk business here.

Actually no. The Redditors intended that to happen. That was their whole strategy, to start a snowball effect. It worked.
colliric wrote:Actually no. The Redditors intended that to happen. That was their whole strategy, to start a snowball effect. It worked.

No, That was wasn't indicated as the plan. Further, if this really was the plan, then they all would have know that the "don't fucking sell" strategy simply wouldn't work. This is because they would have know that the trade volume was with the institutions, not the redditers. WHich means, holding wouldn't change the price because it's the institutional guys that were moving the stock with their volume.

So no....
Ganeshas Rat wrote:Of course it was indicated as the plan. They were deliberately buying options so the large traders would start to buy stocks to cover their contracts that lead to the price rising. It was the plan from the beginning.

Look, those guys are pretty fucking cool for doing this, but to retroactively claim this is exactly what they wanted to happen is pure bullshit. Otherwise they would have behaved differently (call for selling rather than holding). It's still a success, but they were not these master puppeteers you people are painting them as. You guys are acting like this is some mr robot bullshit.

No, their actions do not indicate that they intended for wall streeters to move in on long positions (for a short time) when the squeeze started. They thought they could generate enough volume to move things on their own. The plan was to set off and control the short squeeze. The evidence of this is that they were calling for people to hold their shares. This would imply that they thought they were carrying most of the trade volume, and thus could hold the price high for an extended period of time. As we know now, they did not carry enough volume to take the price to where it went. This means they did not have the foresight to think that this would turn into a wall street versus wall street situation. Had they know that, they would have instructed everyone to sell as soon as things settled in the 400s. That is because they would then know that their volumes were small enough, that they could all sell and not put downward pressure on the price, leaving the wall streeters to fighting it out. They did not do that, in fact, they were calling people to hold. So no fucking way did they actually plan for the wall streets to move things like they did. NO ONE has that kind insight, NO FUCKING ONE.

This is more like a hail mary pass (to use an American football reference) that actually worked, than some sort of genius Mr. Robot scheme.
Rancid wrote:Look, those guys are pretty fucking cool for doing this, but to retroactively claim this is exactly what they wanted to happen is pure bullshit. Otherwise they would have behaved differently (call for selling rather than holding). It's still a success, but they were not these master puppeteers you people are painting them as. You guys are acting like this is some mr robot bullshit.

Actually they are calling for holding the stock because a large chunk of them went in because they actually want to be GameStop stockholders, and also they're planning a "second hit". The main stated purpose of alot of them was to stop them bankrupting the company, since they're also gamers. A simple scan of the thread headlines would have revealed that to you.

Hence they're keeping the stock at roughly $65 at the moment. Alot are still holding.

Some sold, some held.

You're incorrectly stupidly assuming the Redditors were in it only for the cash. The fact they succeeded was because of how they pushed it as "Save the games! Buy GME!".

This would imply that they thought they were carrying most of the trade volume, and thus could hold the price high for an extended period of time.

Nah, Redditors love playing Video Games mate. Your pretty out of touch not to consider their stated purpose to save the damn company was the reason this shit happened.

4Chaners and Redditors are cousins mate.... Both full of video game obsessed TROLLS. Insisting it was all about the money is idiotic when it comes to Reddit mate. Remember when 4Chan pushed a heavy online campaign for Trump to win in 2016 and then celebrated non-stop as if it was a 4Chan victory when he did win?

You're overthinking this shit, they're Trolls.
colliric wrote:Actually no. The Redditors intended that to happen. That was their whole strategy, to start a snowball effect. It worked.

Your post historically have always been complete junk Colliric. This reply is no different. Do you even understand anything or just post what you wish was true?

So the plan all along was to make Wall Street money? I thought it was to make them lose money. Rancids post pretty much sums up what was going in accordance to the reality. I suspect the plan was to long the shares so Reddit made money whilst Wall Street lost money. The only issue was the shares weren't worth the $300+ value so those who jumped in late will lose most of what they put in because like tulips in years gone by, those fools will hold bulbs they cannot sell. There will be some who might have put in a few cents just to feel part of the movement. There will be others who put in more than they could afford to make money. But if the reason these shares shot up in value was because Wall Street was playing long, then this was Wall Street playing Wall Street. Which means the winners are those playing long at the start when they picked up what was going on. And now they are dropping value. So perhaps there are some who are holding on to retain its inflated value. But they have now lost. Those who sold at $300+ would have won. And I suspect those sellers would have been in Wall Street.

Oh and @colliric, here is a post for you to read. This also contradicts you POV...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/04e6c524-389b-47fc-afaa-eb52c1e76048
colliric wrote:They actually believe in saving their precious Video Game company.

Gamers have been shitting on Gamestop for as long as I can remember. Since when did it become their "precious video game company"?

Either way, the reddit trolls are going to lose money, whine about the system being rigged against them and vote Trump.
Last edited by Rugoz on 23 Feb 2021 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Rugoz wrote:
Gamers have been shitting on Gamestop for as long as I can remember. Since when did it become their "previous video game company"?

Either way, the reddit trolls are going to lose money, whine about the system being rigged against them and vote Trump.

Most of them have already lost.

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]