Uighur treatment by China amounts to 'Genocide' says formal legal text - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

noemon wrote:China's cultural genocide against the Uyghurs is quite rather obvious by all measures.

Genocide per se within the strict UN definition is also evidently arguable.

Sure if you wish to call it genocide. I think its a bit sloppy if one thinks of destruction of a culture compared to mass murdering of a people in order to eliminate them as opposed to subdue them.
Although I guess this is also contingent on how one considers the coercive measures of population control also. Which are pretty brutal but as I see it tend to be generalized to all demographics as prt of Chinas repressive population control which seems to have some support of the goal even if criticism of the methods.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/232678774.pdf
While Chinese citizens experience constraints on their reproductive freedom through family planning programs, most recognize the need for policies that keep the population in check.3 4 Public acceptance of the need to reduce the population tend to legitimize the government's use of coercion to attain population
t 346 targets, and resistance would probably only raise the level of coercion. While some level of coercion seems to be evident from various reports, the extent of such is difficult to ascertain.
345. LEE & FENG, supra note 24, at 133.
The need for some kind of family planning policy is so widely accepted that during the spring of 1989, when millions of Chinese took to the streets of Beijing and elsewhere to voice their dissatisfaction with the government over a wide variety of political and social issues, virtually none of the criticism was aimed at the family planning policY.

Although this could’ve changes.
And it does seem that China changed its policy towards ethnic minorities to be stricter and on par with the majority Han Chinese.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/4881898/china-xinjiang-uighur-children/%3Famp%3Dtrue
As part of their ‘ethnic equality’.
This is also touched upon in the AP article of the shift in policy.
https://apnews.com/article/269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c
For decades, China had one of the most extensive systems of minority entitlements in the world, with teh Uighurs and others getting more points on college entrace exams, hiring quotas for government posts and laxer birth control restrictions. Under CHina's now-abandoned 'one child' policy, the authorites had long encoruaged, often forced contraceptives, sterilization and abortion on Han Chinese. But minorities were allowed two children - three if they came from the countryside.

Under President Xi Jinping, China’s most authoritarian leader in decades, those benefits are now being rolled back. In 2014, soon after Xi visited Xinjiang, the region’s top official said it was time to implement “equal family planning policies” for all ethnicities and “reduce and stabilize birth rates.” In the following years, the government declared that instead of just one child, Han Chinese could now have two, and three in Xinjiang’s rural areas, just like minorities.

But while equal on paper, in practice Han Chinese are largely spared the abortions, sterilizations, IUD insertions and detentions for having too many children that are forced on Xinjiang’s other ethnicities, interviews and data show. Some rural Muslims, like Omirzakh, are punished even for having the three children allowed by the law.

Now considering the last paragraph, it is interesting the statistics emphasize massive sterilization in Hanan where a lot of Han Chinese are.
But as nasty as this is, it still requires to go further to denote that the Ughyer are particularly targeted in such a policy in a massive disparity. It is claimed but on the face of it, one has to differentiate the policy and so far it seems asserted but not shown, particularly if it relies on errors like Zenz's

To which my impression is that many roads then lead to Adrian Zenz, who regardless of his background, needs to be considered on the terms of what he asserts.
To which the major criticism I see asserted is an inflated statistic by shifting decimal point.
Zenz's source
https://jamestown.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Zenz-Sterilizations-IUDs-and-Mandatory-Birth-Control-FINAL-27June.pdf
By 2019, Xinjiang planned to subject at least 80 percent of women of childbearing age in the rural southern four minority prefectures to intrusive birth prevention surgeries (IUDs or sterilizations), with actual shares likely being much higher. In 2018, 80 percent of all new IUD placements in China were performed in Xinjiang, despite the fact that the region only makes up 1.8 percent of the nation’s population.
These findings provide the strongest evidence yet that Beijing’s policies in Xinjiang meet one of the genocide criteria cited in the U.N. Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, namely that of Section D of Article II: “imposing measures intended to prevent births within the [targeted] group” (United Nations, December 9, 1948).
[38] Source: 2015 and 2019 Health and Hygiene Statistical Yearbooks, table 8-8-2.

The citation
https://web.archive.org/web/20200712091001/https://s2.51cto.com/oss/201912/05/1822362d5f7ccc8ff5d87ecdba23e64c.pdf
The interpretation someone made was:
The relevant column is 放置节育器例数, the number of IUD's implanted. We have a total 总计 of 3.8 million, with Xinjiang 新疆 accounting for 328,475. Thus 8.7% of China's IUD's occurred in Xinjiang.

(A side note, but what really stands out about this table is not Xinjiang but Henan. In all of China, 86% of vasectomies and 26% of tubal litigations happened in Henan. Unlike IUD's, these are real sterilization procedures that cannot be reversed.)

So if this statistic is the strongest evidence in regards to forced sterilization of Ughyer's in Xingjian, then Zenz made a significant error which undermines the speculated results of how many were actually sterilized via IUDs.
And I don't read any Chinese dialect, so someone might be able to clarify the source differently.
Also if we can't trust the Chinese governments reporting of the statistics, then we similarly have no grounds for Zenz's claim which cites such a source. Wikipedia itself isn't a source although a good starting point to find the source. Luckily others have been scrutinizing so that we can only scrutinize them rather than have to do all the leg work.

Obviously his work would need to be considered as a whole but I think a lot of critics are right in pointing out that many of the sources all lead back to Zenz primarily among a few others to back their claims. So really need to argue Zenz and whether his work is really that significant. To which the points about his character/credibility as part of the victims of communism and such does not paint a favourable light even though it don't dismiss him outright as wrong. As credibility is of course important but not the final say. One establishes credibility in alls sorts fo ways otherwise why listen to someone?

That China is not at nazi-level industrial scale genocide(nobody other than Heisenberg has used Nazi-terminology in here) does not mean that the term 'genocide' is unwarranted or that it is in any way dangerous to use. Fun fact for your Heisenberg, you don't have to be a Nazi copy-cat to do genocide.

Some inmates go home from the camps, nobody claimed otherwise. I have honestly lost count of how many strawmen you have made Heisenberg. Your comment about the BBC demonstrates that the documentary is not biased in any way, shape, or form.

I am open to it being valid to call it genocide although I think it is still a crappy term if one means cultural genocide destruction. Although I reiterate that the killing or erasure of an actual peoples, not their culture would be prompted by the significance given to the sterilizations. To which there does seem to be some basis to be skeptical of the scale in which it is reported to be on and that the Uygher's are being target in regards to sterilization any more than the rest of the Chinese population.

Chinese policy is holistic, it involves a wide variety of measures in order to wipe out the Uyghur group as a distinct ethnic-group within China.

And again this I think is where the genocide term is sloppy in that this can readily be interpreted either in the mass murder of the people or as the destruction of the culture which underpins them as an ethnicity. Which does seem te be a more viable case for in that I do think China is likely engaging in a form of colonialism. BUt not in terms of Gulags and forced labor camps as much as something comparable to the indigenous schools in western colonies like the US and Australia. The whole 'civilize the barbaric' but in this case a different twist of assimilating to the state and to undermine separatistm.

The "west" can barely order its own factories to move away from China let alone intervene in any way.
Calling a spade a spade merely put minor pressure on China to change her ways and hopefully make China stop torturing these poor people, that in my view is the bare minimum people can do.

Indeed, capital has so thoroughly fractured the social fabric that there exists less of a basis for groups to unify around than previously. Only a shift to relations of solidarity could repair such damage in resisting the intrusion of markets into everyday life.
I think it'll be hard to undermine China also and agree with a comment someone else made where it'll be like Tibet, largely ignored and resigned to recognizing China's rule there.

I would also add that I am sympathetic to @Heisenberg characterization of the BBC documentary as looking a lot like a boarding school and many of the examples offered really sounding much like expectations around education in the west. Like having to send your kids to school or suffer legal consequences, wearing uniforms (in the US its not common but in Australia, I wore school uniforms my entire schooling until university). The piece seems to assume the airs of control where the appearance is disagreeable to one's belief of what it is characterized by. But to dismiss entirely appearances is not to properly explain them and resort only to speculation. I do not value the eschewing of appearances but that which can better explain them, such is the development of a scientific understanding that one better situates the facts in relation to one another.
At present, the facts aren't as damning as the rhetoric.
And this I don't think in itself denies the discriminatory attitudes and colonial interests of China in the region but just that this doesn't provide the damning case of it.
@Wellsy conformism is strange thing, we can say even that this approach of mindset rebranding is cultural eugenic experiment, stil no euphemism will change the fact that whats happening in China is ethnocide in respect to their long separatist will, but from similar cultural torture suffer all chinese citizens, tho Uyghurs are surely most bashed group! even as constant surveillance and social credit system that is probably unbearable condition, what about penitentiary measures for "rebranding" of someones psyche!

I think Russia resolved this problem more easily, left the chechens to radicalize even to be armed by usA [1] and then annihilated all open terrorism so now they are largely at peace with similar geopolitical bashing, but in comparison to that one could say this is maybe more humane approach, and this is discutable i.e. is it better to calm urself than constantly someone to calm u with tempered buzzing!?

now whats happening is, "someone" is misusing the Uyghurs for own geopolitics, and that is even greater evil because puts the Uyghurs directly on roasting, so definitely this is fueled from outside, the question is why Uyghurs are falling on that!? as I can see WUC is financed by NED [1] and NED is one of the brushing arms of cia [1] also the militant groups for sure are supported if not by west directly then indirectly through their fanatic-proxies in asia [1]
noemon wrote:If you want to address the figures cited, you are more than welcome to, but creating even more strawmen in the pursuit of genocide-denial has become quite boring now.

The birth rate in Xinjiang certainly fell faster than the rest of China (which is not in dispute), but the point is that citing the decline in birth rates without citing the actual birth rates is (deliberately) misleading.

Note that the bolded bit in your own source omits the actual birth rate figures for Xinjiang, even though it includes the raw figures for the rest of China. Why could that be, I wonder?

Oh, that's right, because the raw figures show that the Uighur birthrate, while falling faster than the overall population, was falling from a much higher starting point, to a level more in line with the rest of China: the Uighur birthrate in Xinjiang was 10.69 per 1,000 people in 2018, down from 15.88 the prior year. Your own Wikipedia article shows that the overall Chinese birth rate was 10.9 per 1,000 in 2018.

Additional relevant context from CNN:

Up until 2015, the Chinese government enforced a "one-child" family planning policy countrywide, which allowed most urban couples no more than one baby. Ethnic minorities, such as the Uyghur people, were typically allowed to have up to three but Xinjiang expert Zenz said that families from these groups often had many more children.
When China officially began the two-child policy in January 2016, Uyghur citizens living in cities were limited to two children for the first time as well -- their rural counterparts could still have up to three.

So the change reflects the Uyghur birth rate coming more into line with the rest of China. For this to be "genocide", China's two child policy itself would also have to be "genocide".

You can debate the two-child policy if you like - it's certainly authoritarian - but saying that it explicitly exists as a way to eradicate Uighurs is simply not backed up by the facts.

One day, you'll learn what terms like "conspiracy theory", "ad hominem" and "strawman" actually mean. In the meantime, playing dumb with me is not going to fool anyone. You already had this exact point made to you by Fasces in the other thread and simply ignored it.
Last edited by Heisenberg on 10 Feb 2021 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
@Heisenberg I will jump in your argue with noemon, maybe this is propaganda, but having in mind the long eugenic tendencies in China [1][1] this could be possible scenario, but without more substantiation evidence like this next one [1] this will stay in the realm of believe it or not [2] yet I would not be surprised in technocratic collectivism such tendencies to arose even nowadays!

still more effective public measure is their stimulation of mixed marriages, and from this could be seen how desperate they are to crack on any ethnic risks, but imposing wide sterilization that is somehow unbelievable, maybe as harsher punishment for uyghur families with separatist history so the state could impose greater fear!?
Wellsy wrote:So if this statistic is the strongest evidence in regards to forced sterilization of Ughyer's in Xingjian, then Zenz made a significant error which undermines the speculated results of how many were actually sterilized via IUDs.
And I don't read any Chinese dialect, so someone might be able to clarify the source differently.
Also if we can't trust the Chinese governments reporting of the statistics, then we similarly have no grounds for Zenz's claim which cites such a source. Wikipedia itself isn't a source although a good starting point to find the source. Luckily others have been scrutinizing so that we can only scrutinize them rather than have to do all the leg work.

First of all, it should be stated that noone has raised this particular statistic as being of significance other than yourself.

Regardless, this particular statistic is further confirmed here via a letter by the Chinese government to the CNN.

So the expose by the redditor is most likely leaking itself.

Thanks @Heisenberg for sharing the link.

Birth rate plunges
But the government didn't dispute the rise in sterilizations or the gap in the ratio of new intrauterine devices (IUDs) between Xinjiang and the rest of mainland China. While IUD implants have plunged in China overall, falling to just 21 per 100,000 people in 2018, in Xinjiang they are becoming increasingly common.
According to local government statistics, there were almost 1,000 new IUD implants per 100,000 people in Xinjiang in 2018, or 80% of China's total for that year.
The Xinjiang government said in its response that the birth rate in the region had dropped from 15.88 per 1,000 people in 2017 to 10.69 per 1,000 people in 2018. The fax said that the drop was due to "the comprehensive implementation of the family planning policy."

The statistic I quoted was this:

wiki wrote:Chinese government statistics show that from 2015 to 2018, birth rates in the mostly Uyghur regions of Hotan and Kashgar plunged by more than 60%.[29] In the same period, the birth rate of the whole country decreased by 9.69%, from 12.07 to 10.9 per 1,000 people.[30] Chinese authorities acknowledged that birth rates dropped by almost a third in 2018 in Xinjiang

Wellsy wrote:Obviously his work would need to be considered as a whole but I think a lot of critics are right in pointing out that many of the sources all lead back to Zenz primarily among a few others to back their claims. So really need to argue Zenz and whether his work is really that significant. To which the points about his character/credibility as part of the victims of communism and such does not paint a favourable light even though it don't dismiss him outright as wrong. As credibility is of course important but not the final say. One establishes credibility in alls sorts fo ways otherwise why listen to someone?

There is also the reality of the internment reeducation camps, themselves prisons. There is also the fact that the Uyghur religion is not recognised/authorised by the Chinese state, there is also the fact that Uyghurs are not allowed to teach their religion to their children, all these combined point to the obvious targeting of the Uyghurs as a means to eradicate the Uyghur ethnicity.

Wellsy wrote:I am open to it being valid to call it genocide although I think it is still a crappy term if one means cultural genocide destruction. Although I reiterate that the killing or erasure of an actual peoples, not their culture would be prompted by the significance given to the sterilizations. To which there does seem to be some basis to be skeptical of the scale in which it is reported to be on and that the Uygher's are being target in regards to sterilization any more than the rest of the Chinese population.

The Chinese government acknowledges the sterilisations and the drop in numbers and shows you openly how she lobotomises Uyghurs with her forced reeducation in camps for arbitrary pre-crime reasons. Precrime Chinese officials tell the camera without flinching. :eek:

Wellsy wrote:I would also add that I am sympathetic to @Heisenberg characterization of the BBC documentary as looking a lot like a boarding school and many of the examples offered really sounding much like expectations around education in the west.

You are sympathetic to detaining citizens for pre-crime reasons without trial for arbitrary lengths of time and "reeducating" them in the process? :eh:

Equating this to western boarding schools is what is dangerous and sloppy mate.
@noemon as conclusion Your posts is sad enough that no excuse can be made on behalf of the CCP

but if there was no sponsoring for WUC by the west, I am sure such torture wouldnt happen at least not on such extent, and instead west to condemn chinese separatists they welcomed them with big smile, and that is just wrong, like that they are fuelling the Uyghur suffering even more!

https://www.voltairenet.org/article208556.html
noemon wrote:Regardless, this particular statistic is further confirmed here via a letter by the Chinese government to the CNN.

No it isn't.

@Wellsy's post refers to Zenz's claim that by 2019, Xinjiang planned to subject at least 80 percent of women of childbearing age in the rural southern four minority prefectures to intrusive birth prevention surgeries (IUDs or sterilizations), with actual shares likely being much higher.

The actual figure for IUD implants, based on the document he himself cites, shows that 8.7% of China's IUD implants happened in Xinjiang, not 80%. So, he's out by an order of magnitude. This is a common feature of this "leading expert's" work.

What is backed up in the article is that IUD implants are rising in Xinjiang while falling in the rest of China, which is consistent with (1) a falling birth rate in China anyway, and (2) expanding the two-child policy to apply to Uighurs as well starting in 2016, when it had already been in place for the Han for several decades.

Again, there are certainly ethical questions about the two-child policy, but to equate it to "genocide" is nothing more than sensationalism.

Edit - Zenz actually wasn't right that 80% of new IUD implants were in Xinjiang; it was 8.7%. Updated the post to reflect this.
Last edited by Heisenberg on 10 Feb 2021 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Heisenberg wrote:Again, there are certainly ethical questions about the two-child policy, but to equate it to "genocide" is nothing more than sensationalism.

Sensationalism is trying to apologise or normalise these interment camps and the process of detaining Uyghurs, reeducating them, sterilising them at unprecedented rates. There is also the fact that the Uyghur religion is not recognised/authorised by the Chinese state, there is also the fact that Uyghurs are not allowed to teach their religion to their children, all these combined point to the obvious targeting of the Uyghurs as a means to eradicate the Uyghur ethnicity.

Heisenberg wrote:No it isn't.

@Wellsy's post refers to Zenz's claim that by 2019, Xinjiang planned to subject at least 80 percent of women of childbearing age in the rural southern four minority prefectures to intrusive birth prevention surgeries (IUDs or sterilizations), with actual shares likely being much higher. The actual figure for IUD implants, based on the document he himself cites, is more like 8.7%. He's out by an order of magnitude. This is a common feature of this "leading expert's" work.
What is backed up in the article is that 80% of new IUD implants took place in Xinjiang

It is not far fetched to estimate China as wanting to sterilise 80% of the female population when one considers that she openly admits 8.7% per year, the true number being wherever and engaging in the process for the past 5 years and going.
noemon wrote:It is not far fetched to consider China as wanting to sterilise 80% of the female population when one considers that she openly admits 8.7% per year, the true number being wherever and engaging in the process for the past 5 years at least.

Sorry, I updated my previous post, but I should clarify again here in case you missed it:

I mixed up the numbers before. Xinjiang accounted for 8.7% of new IUD implants across China, per the document cited by Zenz, not 80%.

Meanwhile, the rate of IUD implants in 2018, as shown in the CNN article, is 963 per 100,000, which means 0.963% of the population had an IUD implant in one year, not 8.7%.

Either way, these figures are nowhere near supporting the claim that China is planning to sterilise 80% of Uighur women, something which genuinely would require industrial-scale action.
Last edited by Heisenberg on 10 Feb 2021 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
noemon wrote:Why should anyone condemn the Uyghurs? For being persecuted?

not Uyghurs but those "uyghur revolutionaries" who "believe" modern empire as China could be even challenged, they as "freedom-fighters" are just salting the wound!

just imagine Chicanos in usA are patronized by mexian cartel to think about secession, they'll become instant cia target as us-citizens, this point as Leave Us Alone was sent by the Chechens tho on behalf of Ukrainians ...
Heisenberg wrote:Sorry, I updated my previous post, but I should clarify again here in case you missed it:

I misinterpreted the numbers before. Xinjiang accounted for 8.7% of new IUD implants across China, per the document cited by Zenz in his "80%" claim.

Meanwhile, the rate of IUD implants in 2018, as shown in the CNN article, is 963 per 100,000, which means 0.963% of the population had an IUD implant in one year, not 8.7%.

Either way, these figures are nowhere near supporting the claim that China is planning to sterilise 80% of Uighur women, something which genuinely would require industrial-scale action.

She is engaging in industrial scale internment, re-education, sterilisation, and population control.

1,000 in 100,000 people in Xinjiang represents 250k new sterilisations just for that year alone out of a total female breeding Uyghur population of 3-4 million?

Notice the term 'people' rather than 'females' and notice the absence of Uyghur specific women. That is 1% of the population of Xinjiang not the % of the sterilised Uyghur women for that year.

Once these are accounted for proportionally and while also considering that the rate of new sterilisations in Xinjiang represents 80% of China's total for just one year, one can clearly grasp the scale of the whole program.
noemon wrote:Once these are accounted for proportionally and while also considering that the rate of new sterilisations in Xinjiang represents 80% of China's total for just one year, one can clearly grasp the scale of the whole program.

I literally just corrected this.

Xinjiang accounted for 8.7% of China's total new IUDs for one year, not 80%. It's even right there in the bit you quoted. So extrapolating and assuming the scale of the program based on the 80% figure would be a rather major error.

(Another important thing to note is that IUDs, unlike, say, tubal ligations or hysterectomies, are also reversible.)
Last edited by Heisenberg on 10 Feb 2021 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
1,000 in 100,000 people in Xinjiang represents 250k new sterilisations just for that year alone out of a total female breeding Uyghur population of 3-4 million?

That represents 8.something percent of the total Uyghur female population sterilised just in a single year.
The true number is not even 250k new sterilisations in Xinjiang that I estimated because by the 1000 to 100000(with a 25 million population), that Chinese figure is in itself challenged by the sterilisation figures produced by Wellsy, it is in fact precisely 328475 new sterilisations in Xinjiang just for that year alone, the female breeding Uyghur population cannot be more than 3-4 million based on a 12 million population figure out of a 25 million total.

That corresponds to a significant amount of Uyghur sterilisations.

What percent do you want to give to Uyghur women of breeding age?

disputed statistics wrote:By 2019, Xinjiang planned to subject at least 80 percent of women of childbearing age in the rural southern four minority prefectures to intrusive birth prevention surgeries (IUDs or sterilizations), with actual shares likely being much higher. In 2018, 80 percent of all new IUD placements in China were performed in Xinjiang, despite the fact that the region only makes up 1.8 percent of the nation’s population.

This is not disproven but becomes quite evident with every passing realisation. The bold was confirmed by China too.

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]