Musk has bought Twitter - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Wels
Already posted this elsewhere.
I think this Musk guy takes himself much too serious.
Free speech is possible anywhere, and Twitter has exactly zilch to do with it.
Maybe good idea to make money, go ahead, i give a sh!t.
While I’m awesome and totally deserving of 87,000 new followers a day it seems that someone took the shackles off my account. Wonder if they’re burning the evidence before new mgmt comes in?

All the tweets chiding Musk for buying Twitter instead of solving world hunger. Some people really do think he’s the messiah I suppose :roll:
Elon musk unbans Alex Jones: https://cdn.videy.co/nl2FvG2K.mp4

Also this:

And yeah it's pretty well known that there were degrees of shadowbans on practically all popular conservative accounts. These are all going to go away and without protection from certain dialogues, Twitter will probably be a right wing meme site within a year.
Rancid wrote:Twitter isn't really an issue of free speech. It's actually about property rights.

That is, twitter is a private company. Their property rights allow them to regulate or not regulate their platform. Their previous bans and regulation are legally theirs to decide on. Seems like people get confounded with this. The first amendment is about the government.

All of that said, I'd imagine Twitter will loosen its restrictions, but it's probably not going to become the wild west. Speech, even free speech, still has consequence. Additionally, they're still going to work on cracking down on bots and shit like that otherwise twitter just becomes a cesspool full of noise that will make it useless to most reasonably smart people.

Rightwingers complain about liberal bias in media, then lefties tell them tough shit private companies can do whatever they want there's no free speech.

Rightwinger buys one of the many left-leaning media companies, then lefties go WAAAAAAAHHHH because they no longer have control to silence the people they want to.

As far as I can see, very few people actually care about free speech unless they're the ones getting censored, and few people care if others get censored if it happens to people whose opinions they don't like. So most people are tyrant a-holes.
By Rancid
Unthinking Majority wrote:
Rightwingers complain about liberal bias in media, then lefties tell them tough shit private companies can do whatever they want there's no free speech.

Rightwinger buys one of the many left-leaning media companies, then lefties go WAAAAAAAHHHH because they no longer have control to silence the people they want to.

As far as I can see, very few people actually care about free speech unless they're the ones getting censored, and few people care if others get censored if it happens to people whose opinions they don't like. So most people are tyrant a-holes.

True.

Hopefully they really to open source the algorithm. Also when it is opened up, I suspect a lot of morons that don't know much about computer science will make a bunch of tweets and videos that "explain" the algorithm in totally incorrect ways. :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out, how can we make money off all the slander/liable law suits that are going to come when twitter is opened up some more.
By Rancid
wat0n wrote:Let's see if Twitter becomes something better than the shithole it currently is (unlikely).

I think it's just going to get noisier.

I don't use twitters, so whatevers...

Pofo is my twitter!... oh god, I sound old.
wat0n wrote:Let's see if Twitter becomes something better than the shithole it currently is (unlikely).

Doubtful. It might even become worse. I have a twitter account but I rarely use it. Twitter is useless unless you have a business or you operate a business that gets more business from Twitter.
MistyTiger wrote:
Doubtful. It might even become worse. I have a twitter account but I rarely use it. Twitter is useless unless you have a business or you operate a business that gets more business from Twitter.

The other key market aside from businesses trying to advertise shit, is basically people that like to have meme battles/debates.
By wat0n
MistyTiger wrote:Doubtful. It might even become worse. I have a twitter account but I rarely use it. Twitter is useless unless you have a business or you operate a business that gets more business from Twitter.

I don't even have an account, I do find it useful to spread the news. That's about it :hmm:
MistyTiger wrote:Doubtful. It might even become worse. I have a twitter account but I rarely use it. Twitter is useless unless you have a business or you operate a business that gets more business from Twitter.

What is this... "Twitter"... of which you speak? :?:
Oh yes the "free speech absolutist" who sues and fires those who disagree with him.

"Seems @elonmusk is a free speech absolutist… unless it involves safety concerns IMO," tweeted John Bernal, a former Tesla employee who was fired after he posted YouTube reviews of Tesla's autopilot functions on his channel, AI Addict.

Bernal's video reviews contained only end-user features and included footage of the car's autopilot disengaging, which caused Bernal to take control to avoid dangerous situations, including a possible crash.

"I was fired from Tesla in February with my YouTube being cited as the reason why. Even though my uploads are from my personal vehicle off company time or property with software I paid for," Bernal said in a video update posted earlier this month.

Bernal did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

Bernal's firing is not the only example of Musk taking action against public criticism. In one instance, Fast Company reported that Musk found the identity of a would-be anonymous blogger who posted a negative stock analysis of Tesla and contacted their employer, threatening to sue, according to the blogger.
[...]
In another incident, a journalist who had been critical of the Tesla Model X launch event was called by Musk personally and had their order for a Model X canceled.

Former employees have reported being fired for disagreeing with the CEO, for reporting racist harassment, or for simply being in his way.
https://www.businessinsider.com/free-sp ... ics-2022-3
Has anyone tried out this Pravda-Social alternative that people have been talking about?
The amount of speculation and comment on this purchase is large, to say the least.

This poor old country mouse is content to spend my time on other issues du jour and wait patiently for actual factual information on changes, if any, to what is and what is not permitted on Twitter(r) before coming to any conclusions whatever.

Also ahead, perhaps, will be court cases arriving on the doorstep of the Supreme Court of the United States of America regarding 'net platforms and the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. Those, should the Supreme Court decide to take one or more of the cases, will be of interest.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.
Ya know, congresscritters should have this STFU switch in their heads, because he shreds them everytime they get on keyboard and everyone enjoys it.

Twitter has always sucked. It doesn't matter who owns it.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

Wait a moment, I'll just quickly pick up the weapo[…]

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]