Republicans votes to fuck veterans - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

@Rancid

Yup, that's the rich white Republicans for you. Talk the big talk on supporting the troops when there is a war, and then fucking them in the ass after the war is over while they go to their pot of gold. Must be nice. Always trying to dodge taxes and get out of paying their fair share when the bill comes due.
And we've always done that, starting with Alexander Hamilton...

The big exception was after WW2 when everyone was white knuckle scared by the thought of the Great Depression coming back.
late wrote:And we've always done that, starting with Alexander Hamilton...

Indeed....

Bonus Army

The big exception was after WW2 when everyone was white knuckle scared by the thought of the Great Depression coming back.

The post-WWII era was a highly unusual boom time. People at the time made the mistake of assuming it would just continue forever, but of course it didn't.
Now for the FACTS.

- - -

Thread: This is why I hate politics these days.

Toomey supports the underlying bill. As do most R Senators. There was a line in the bill that changes discretionary spending to mandatory spending so it would not need to be reauthorized and could be spent for other purposes. https://t.co/mKr78IzPzq
AG (@AGHamilton29) July 29, 2022

- - -

BTW, after Schumer poison pilled the bill last week with a gimmick and Republicans held their ground, Schumer agreed to change the language so democrats couldn't add $400 Billion of UNRELATED spending. The amended bill will probably pass next week.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Potemkin @late

Yup, it's nothing new.

The question is, why does this party enjoy such strong support from the military, when the party actively works to fuck them over?
@Rancid

That's a good question. The officer corps is better educated and not as fooled by Republicans. But the enlisted core on the other hand does not start out as well educated as the officer core, so they are easier for Republicans to manipulate. At least initially and those who do not take advantage of their educational benefits to becoming better educated. It's the enlisted core that does most of the fighting and dying with the exception of a few junior grade officers like Lts and Captains.
@Rancid

Check this out Rancid, Republicans talk the big game of "rationing of care" when it comes to any medical care reforms for Americans. They use it as a scare-mongering tactic to get ordinary Americans to vote against needed medical care reform. So, what do the Republicans do? The amendments they supported for veterans would have led to a "rationing of care" for our veterans. The very same thing they claim to be against in regards to medical care for the American people. Boy, they are all about spending caps when it comes to medical care for veterans but no spending caps in regards to their slush funds.

Donald Judd and Aaron Pellish of CNN wrote:Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough on Sunday pushed back against Senate Republicans blocking passage of the administration-backed PACT Act, warning that if the chamber passes GOP senators' proposed amendment to the legislation aimed at providing care for veterans exposed to toxic burn pits, "we may have to ration care for veterans."

McDonough told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" that a proposed amendment from Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Pat Toomey would put "a year-on-year cap" on what the VA can spend to care for veterans suffering from exposure to burn pits and sunsets the fund after 10 years, telling Tapper, "I can't, in good conscience, do that, because the outcome of that will be rationing of care for vets, which is something I just can't sign on."

"This has been the No. 1 priority for President Biden," McDonough said, touting executive action steps the Biden administration has already taken to remove the burden of proof for veterans seeking care for toxic exposure. "I guess what I'd say is, these folks have waited long enough. Let's just get it done, and also let's not be for a proposal that places artificial caps on year by year, and then functionally, at the end of those 10 years, makes this fund go away. Let's not sign up to that, because at the end of the day, the risk of that is going to be rationing of care to veterans."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/31/politics ... index.html
Unthinking Majority wrote:The devil is in the details. Who here has read the bill?

I've read pieces of it, but mostly relied on summaries. It's straight forward. The "issue" for Republicans is that it's mandatory spending, meaning it cannot be revoked/cut once the bill passes. They claim they want it to be discretionary which means they can cut the funding later down the road. For the record, mandatory spending bills are not odd or unusually. Very common, especially on things like this. There's not "weird trick" or "odd gimmick" with this.

This basically shows you how little Republicans actually care about veterans as much as they like to scream about it. For three reasons:

1. This is a time sensitive matter, these veterans are dying. Fucking around with politics means more of these people will die. Just fucking give it to them already.
2. If Republicans really care about veterans as much as they claim they do, why do they want the option to cut this funding? Maybe it's because they really don't give a shit about them and want to fuck them later on.
3. These veterans contracted their illnesses as a direct result of working for the US government. Their employer (The US government) should be responsible to help them. Republicans as usual, are against taking responsibility for anything. The party of "personal responsibility" and authoritarianism skirts responsibility once again.

A side point is that this bill already had the support it needed previously, but Republicans did a 180 because of whatever reason (there's speculation on the reasons). Regardless, clearly it's bullshit coming from a party that is supposed to care about veterans. They are placing their stupid games over the veterans they claim to fully support. If they really supported veterans as they claim, this mandatory/discretionary thing would be a non-issue, and it should be a non-issue.

This part is the party of snakes, cowards, traitors, and most of all, dumb fucking morons (see BlutoSay's a fine example of a moron). I can't believe I've voted for these dipshits in the past. That party is a terrorist organization at this point. They openly sponsor domestic terrorism. FUcking pieces of shit.
Rancid wrote:This part is the party of snakes, cowards, traitors, and most of all, dumb fucking morons (see BlutoSay's a fine example of a moron). I can't believe I've voted for these dipshits in the past. That party is a terrorist organization at this point. They openly sponsor domestic terrorism. FUcking pieces of shit.

You shouldn’t watch reality so much, @Rancid. The reality channel has a well-known liberal bias. Lol. ;)

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I 've been genuinely wondering John, are you okay[…]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]

@Godstud I suggest you fact-check that. :lo[…]