Harvard Sued Over "Overwhelmingly White" Legacy Admissions - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Rancid wrote:It's a top 10 public university. 8)

Great point. That said, my son at 11 years old, is certainly smarter, more curious, and more intellectual than I was at the age. I suspect his ability might be higher than mine.

:lol: ... yes, that's basically what I'm asking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like, does being non-white, somehow make it ok for me to take advantage? :lol:

I know the answer is no, but I'd like to see what white guilt leftists think. :lol:

Stop messing with the white guilt folks. .Let them wallow in not being a white ally and taking advantage of the system in their favor. Let them fester in their guilty feelings....of stupidity.

It never occurs to them that other groups find meaning and good times and peace and all the rest just being themselves. The white guilt is too much.

I can't possibly like being who I am if I am not white can I? How many times a day do we sit around Rancid thinking, I am not white. I am sad. I got to be a white dude or a white girl or I feel like I can't live. No one fucking thinks about that at all. The regular thoughts are, today is garbage day I need to set out the garbage for pick up. I forgot last week, and it stunk up my driveway. Oh, I need to buy some toilet paper, I am down to my last roll. Do I make my kid's bed today or do I make him do it when he gets home. And the flow of thoughts continue. The whiteness never enters into the equation.
Tainari88 wrote:I can't possibly like being who I am if I am not white can I? How many times a day do we sit around Rancid thinking, I am not white. I am sad. I got to be a white dude or a white girl or I feel like I can't live. No one fucking thinks about that at all. The regular thoughts are, today is garbage day I need to set out the garbage for pick up. I forgot last week, and it stunk up my driveway. Oh, I need to buy some toilet paper, I am down to my last roll. Do I make my kid's bed today or do I make him do it when he gets home. And the flow of thoughts continue. The whiteness never enters into the equation.

:) :) :) :)
Politics_Observer wrote:@MistyTiger

But then if this lawsuit reaches the Supreme Court, in order for the justices to remain consistent and to have their past rulings to remain legitimate, given their current ruling on affirmative action, they will now have no choice but to get rid of legacy admissions. Otherwise, their most recent ruling on affirmative action really isn't legitimate and will be seen as trying to maintain unjust excessive power and privilege to the predominantly white wealthy who benefit from legacy admissions. This would not serve the interests of justice or law.

The courts would then become merely just an instrument of power and ensuring that those who havepower, keep their power and that it is no longer an instrument of justice or law. The court will no longer be seen as legitimate, because of inconsistent rulings that do not serve the best interests of justice. Rather, they would only serve the interests of one thing and one thing only: POWER. Even if it goes against, and contradicts, the best interests of justice.

I really think you have some kind of Pollyanna version of what law is about sometimes PO. The Law can and has been immoral, oppressive and unjust for centuries. The law is an instrument of power ALWAYS wielded by the rulemakers of a society that actively participate in keeping their own power seats going. Everyone with any tiny bit of research knows this PO.

All you need to do is read law codes. My sister is a lawyer and the truth is legal shit bores me. But I read enough case law and the history of precedent to know that morality=law or justice=law does not necessarily happen at all. Most good lawyers charge a lot of money to defend their clients. People with no means to defend themselves who are poor usually do not get a decent legal defense. They are not going to get a Dream Team legal Eagle team if their pockets are shallow and not deep. That is a fact. Especially in the US court system. Most people in jail today are not wealthy and if they are wealthy they are not going to be doing the hard time poor convicts will be doing. That is a fact as well.

Civil law suits against very powerful defendants like insurance companies, banks and corporations will not be losing a lot of those lawsuits because they can and do hire the best lawyers to defend them. Many lawyers never choose to fight against very powerful corporations, banks and other financially powerful institutions in society because the odds of winning of those lawsuits are low. And again, a lawyer does not take up a cause that will require a lot of their time, efforts and preparation to end in failure and if they are on a contingency plan with a client that is poor as hell and without means they will have to take a financial hit. And lawyers are not a charity and never have been PO.

Legacy admissions reflect what elite universities are in the USA. They are there to serve the elite. And many of them used to take only the most brilliant and outstanding poor or lower class students because those students were so bright and so talented innately that to deny them admission meant that everyone would know how small and racist and unjust the institution was. Some of the most radical Leftists in African American history of all time graduated from Harvard. Puerto Ricans too. And many others. None were legacy admissions. But they were considered off the scale in talent and intelligence, discipline and character.

They were not destroyed by the scorn and rejections of the elite ones. Who were there via legacy admissions and had been taught their entire lives that the lower classes will always produce inferior products and that they were justified in oppressing or exploiting them. By taking on the best of the lower classes and making them feel excluded fromj their club? They could assuage their collective white guilt full of the truth that they were frauds of brilliance. They were just the sons of their wealthy fathers buying their power for them in the annals of Academia.

That is a very old class conscious story PO. I wonder about why you thought that law equals justice. The law has to be pressured hard to change. It is the slowest of all the branches of government to change. The last of the last. It usually has to be done through a challenge on the outside and then having the agents of change become judges and powerful people. Brown vs. The Board of Education in the 1950s was a major change in law. Before the law code for justifying separate but equal in education was that each district had to reflect the community that the school was located in. And the law IGNORED the reality that poor people who never own their own properties in urban and rural towns all across the USA had these all Black and all Indian and so on communities that had a very low tax rate due to poverty. And that races were segregated according to economic means. Which meant that the schools were not equal. In terms of plumbling, new books for studying, teacher experience in terms of years teaching the subject matter, and many other details. The separate but unequal was reality. The legal system ignored it.

Thurgood Marshall knew this. And he challenged the legal system. And he changed it. But if you are asleep at the wheel of politics in the USA? You will wind up losing the SCOTUS to a bunch of judges that do believe in separate and UNEQUAL. And will manipulate the law to be in alignment with that value because that is what conservative politics is all about. It never was about equality. It is about class and preserving the system that helps them retain power. And in the USA it is European extraction people, with land, who owned slaves in the past and who's descendants inherited wealth, power and privilege and have zero intention of sharing power with the riff raff. Period.

The law is about power. It always has been. All you need to do is figure out how many US presidents in the White House were lawyers over the entire history ol the USA as a nation? George Washington was a General in the Revolutionary War. After him how many were lawyers? An overwhelming number. If power was not about laws? What the hell are these lawyers doing in the senate and the house and the judicial branch? Taking lint out of their belly buttons?
@Tainari88, I've thought about this some.

If the legacy concept is still around when my kids get to college age. Fuck is, I'm doing it. That's not to say I want them to go my alma mater, but I will make sure they apply to my Alma mater in addition to other universities.

That said, there's a clear misconception in this thread. The legacy application process isn't a guarantee of acceptance (look it up, plenty of stories of legacy applicants getting rejected). It basically increases the chances of you getting accepted (especially if you commit upfront to going to the university if accepted). This is how @Rich's point on ability gets addressed. They really won't let any dumb ass in, even if their parents attended the university.

That said, I bet the bar on acceptance is lowered if your family is of status/wealth, and if the family has donated a lot to the university in the past. This will be true with or without this legacy concept.
There seems to be a slight misconception about most legacy admits, admissions to Harvard are so competitive that even legacies would be strong applicants overall and they'd still get into great schools if legacy admits were illegal. It's so competitive Harvard makes even legacies compete for spots with each other.

The issue is that they are admitted even though there are just as strong or stronger applicants who don't have the luck to be the descendants of alumni.

Donor legacies are also a particularly insulting subgroup among legacies since their admission will be tied to a donation done before or after the process, and will get a hefty tax deduction.
So I live in Britain, legacy admissions is a big issue for me. In particular legacy admissions to the throne of England and to the Royal family. So in Britain I'm not even interested in discussing other legacy privileges until the Royal family is abolished.

Now I would prefer higher education to be free. As with all things that doesn't have to be all or nothing, so you could start by making the first year of post 18 education free. In addition opportunities should provided for the less academic to get free training. But I would compensate those who don't go to college or other government funded training by giving them a lower retirement age.

Anyway as to the current American situation, no monarchy and no free post 18 education any time soon, i would suggest that the donations should be made into an explicit price. For example a lower standard of attainment in return for paying the fees of say 3 or 4 students. That way the other students should be able to benefit from lower fees.
Tainari88 wrote:How many times a day do we sit around Rancid thinking, I am not white. I am sad. I got to be a white dude or a white girl or I feel like I can't live. No one fucking thinks about that at all.

Rancid's problem rather is that he's a white person disguised as a Latino, which I guess is a general problem to middle-class minorities in the US.
Beren wrote:Rancid's problem rather is that he's a white person disguised as a Latino, which I guess is a general problem to middle-class minorities in the US.

No, Rancid is not white. Lol. He was accused of being a Haitian refugee once by his biological family. Those Dominicans do not like the Haitians they have to share an island with. Española has two nations on it. DR and Haiti. Both nations have a large percentage of Black African descendants in their societies. But the Dominican Republic is far wealthier than Haiti. For many historical reasons.

He is middle class by default. Because he studied something that gave him a middle class income. But if he had not put in the work and the effort? Whether he was white, black, Latino or any other group would not have mattered.

That is what the legacy admission white privilege pendejos never get. You have to be a lot more of a fighter and determined when you come from the lower classes to get to middle class status than some other group that buys their way in to an educational institution. Especially an elite university.

You do not have to be a white person to be successful. Most of the world is not white Beren. And they produce brilliant academics on a huge scale. Whiteness is not about brilliance. It is about legacy of bullshit.

:lol: :lol:
Rich wrote:So I live in Britain, legacy admissions is a big issue for me. In particular legacy admissions to the throne of England and to the Royal family. So in Britain I'm not even interested in discussing other legacy privileges until the Royal family is abolished.

Now I would prefer higher education to be free. As with all things that doesn't have to be all or nothing, so you could start by making the first year of post 18 education free. In addition opportunities should provided for the less academic to get free training. But I would compensate those who don't go to college or other government funded training by giving them a lower retirement age.

Anyway as to the current American situation, no monarchy and no free post 18 education any time soon, i would suggest that the donations should be made into an explicit price. For example a lower standard of attainment in return for paying the fees of say 3 or 4 students. That way the other students should be able to benefit from lower fees.

For me the UK is stuck with that monarchy because to abolish it would mean that all that Royal title stuff was a mistake. You can't deny that the reason for workhouses and so on in England was to shame the poor for being poor. because the truth is that the Royal are there because they are special people. They got blueblood from so many centuries of inbreeding and incest between kissing cousins trying to keep the money and privileges strictly within the family.

I think what works in the world is having a minimum living standard and making sure the young get a great and universally effective and broad-based education. You can produce doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, scientists, and many other professions without indebting the students to the point of not being able to set up their own household or get an apartment and buy a bicycle. Lol. It is ridiculous. The number one college advice I gave my older son was do not get into student loan debt. Finish the degree debt free. And he did.
Tainari88 wrote:

All you need to do is figure out how many US presidents in the White House were lawyers over the entire history ol the USA as a nation? George Washington was a General in the Revolutionary War. After him how many were lawyers? An overwhelming number. If power was not about laws? What the hell are these lawyers doing in the senate and the house and the judicial branch? Taking lint out of their belly buttons?

And nowadays, consider how many people in Congress and in the White House have graduated from prestigious universities. I'm sure quite a few went to Georgetown or Yale.
Beren wrote:But Rancid is, hence he ended up as middle class in Texas. You're an authentic Latina indeed, so you ended up in Mexico instead.

Not sure if this is some sort of irony or sarcasm that I'm not understanding? I'm not white (Tainari mentioned that already).

Soy Latino muchacho.

Or are you making some sort of social commentary that anyone who is middle class is by default white even if they are not? :?: (a point I would disagree with, but anyway...)

I'm not understanding you here.

FYI, I have beautiful mocha/brown skin. Women love that shit. 8)
wat0n wrote:Under American concepts, one can be both White and Latino/Hispanic. Or Black and Latino. Or Asian and Latino. Or even Native American and Latino, although most indigenous people from Latin America would - ironically - not fall into this label (because they are not native to the US).

Correct.

I'm often listed as black and latino on forms and whatnot. The funny thing is, my DNA profile say's I'm 60% European and 30% black. However, seems like most people in America bucket me under black-latino. That said, when forms say "check all that apply" I select both white and black along with Latino/hispanic. :lol: It's a fucking mess, and shows what a silly thing this whole race thing is to start with. Those forms confuse the shit out of me, and often i just don't fill out anything.

@Tainari88,

Fun fact I've never shared.

I'm part of a multi-year study by the census bureau. For the last 15 years, I get a questionnaire from the census bureau every year or so. Basically, they are following my life. They ask me about my family, my kids, and most of all, my education, job, and income levels. It's part of a study where they are trying to track and understand people's (mostly financial) success long term.

I was selected because in college I worked on an NSF grant project, and somehow that put my name on a list that I was selected from.
Rancid wrote:Or are you making some sort of social commentary that anyone who is middle class is by default white even if they are not?

I'm not understanding you here.

You pretty much are, actually.

Rancid wrote:I have beautiful mocha/brown skin.

Your skin-colour may not be white but your mind-colour rather is. And I don't mean you're innocent. ;)
Rancid wrote:Correct.

I'm often listed as black and latino on forms and whatnot. The funny thing is, my DNA profile say's I'm 60% European and 30% black. However, seems like most people in America bucket me under black-latino. That said, when forms say "check all that apply" I select both white and black along with Latino/hispanic. :lol: It's a fucking mess, and shows what a silly thing this whole race thing is to start with. Those forms confuse the shit out of me, and often i just don't fill out anything.

Indeed.

A minor correction, indigenous persons from Latin America would in theory count as Native American under the federal government's definitions (1997 OMB's revision) - but they should be able to name their tribe of origin, and I don't think those are federally recognized since they're in the US. For the average Joe though I'm pretty sure indigenous Latin American persons would just be Latinos while those Latinos with a fair skin could be plausibly considered to be both (same for Spaniards to some extent, they could be confused for Latinos).
Rancid wrote:Correct.

I'm often listed as black and latino on forms and whatnot. The funny thing is, my DNA profile say's I'm 60% European and 30% black. However, seems like most people in America bucket me under black-latino. That said, when forms say "check all that apply" I select both white and black along with Latino/hispanic. :lol:

How the hell am I supposed to figure out how to treat you as a human being if I can't figure out what race you are?

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]