Colorado supreme court disqualifies Trump from state’s 2024 ballot - Page 13 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

wat0n wrote:Not until that case is tried. What if Trump is found not guilty in federal court?

I won't be surprised if he is, but as long as he is not found guilty he is entitled to presumption of innocence.

Let's keep in mind treason is a felony.

Section 3 is not a criminal sanction, it is a civil/administrative action. Any disqualification is administrative, and not 'punishment' or a 'sanction'. There is no right to be on a ballot, one must qualify first. If there isn't a right being deprived, if there isn't property (material or abstract) being confiscated, then due process is limited to the disqualification process being done properly. So, to achieve due process, if you are the person disqualified, you sue (if the disqualification was done out of court) or appeal, if a judge or judges have made that disqualification. As to which, that would depend on state law or state constitution.

A conviction is not required for section 3 of the 14th. Section 3 i self-executing (meaning Congressional legislation/intervention isn't required for section 3's implementation). But, it may very well be that this issue hasn't been settled, given the fact that a section 3 is rare.
Historically speaking, a conviction hasn't been necessary nor is congress required to intervene, despite section 5. Congress is limited to legislation, which has broad application, and, as such, inadequate to deal with singular occurrences. Until the SCOTUS says otherwise, section 3 will be done, initially, at the state level.

Having a conviction, of course, would make the decision easier, an acquittal will make it harder.
I think the best Trump could ever get is a hung jury which neutralizes any influence a criminal sanction might have had.

But, for an civil/administrative action, the standard is 'preponderance of the evidence' which might be good enough to disqualify someone, but since it isn't 'beyond a reasonable doubt' (required in a criminal action) it is conceivable one could still be disqualified after having been found not guilty.

This is, indeed, what happened to OJ, who was acquitted of murder but found liable for it. In other words, if one is acquitted, and one is disqualified, using the 'I was acquitted' argument will not get your case thrown out, though it might help you in closing arguments in a civil suit.

I don't think it would help that much on appeal, if lower courts found you disqualified, based on a 'preponderance of the evidence' because appeals court doesn't usually engage in fact finding, they look for procedural errors. The finding of fact is done at the lower court.

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, but this is my lay understanding of the law.
Skinny Bob wrote:Section 3 is not a criminal sanction, it is a civil/administrative action. Any disqualification is administrative, and not 'punishment' or a 'sanction'. There is no right to be on a ballot, one must qualify first. If there isn't a right being deprived, if there isn't property (material or abstract) being confiscated, then due process is limited to the disqualification process being done properly. So, to achieve due process, if you are the person disqualified, you sue (if the disqualification was done out of court) or appeal, if a judge or judges have made that disqualification. As to which, that would depend on state law or state constitution.

A conviction is not required for section 3 of the 14th. Section 3 i self-executing (meaning Congressional legislation/intervention isn't required for section 3's implementation). But, it may very well be that this issue hasn't been settled, given the fact that a section 3 is rare.
Historically speaking, a conviction hasn't been necessary nor is congress required to intervene, despite section 5. Congress is limited to legislation, which has broad application, and, as such, inadequate to deal with singular occurrences. Until the SCOTUS says otherwise, section 3 will be done, initially, at the state level.

Having a conviction, of course, would make the decision easier, an acquittal will make it harder.
I think the best Trump could ever get is a hung jury which neutralizes any influence a criminal sanction might have had.

But, for an civil/administrative action, the standard is 'preponderance of the evidence' which might be good enough to disqualify someone, but since it isn't 'beyond a reasonable doubt' (required in a criminal action) it is conceivable one could still be disqualified after having been found not guilty.

This is, indeed, what happened to OJ, who was acquitted of murder but found liable for it. In other words, if one is acquitted, and one is disqualified, using the 'I was acquitted' argument will not get your case thrown out, though it might help you in closing arguments in a civil suit.

I don't think it would help that much on appeal, if lower courts found you disqualified, based on a 'preponderance of the evidence' because appeals court doesn't usually engage in fact finding, they look for procedural errors. The finding of fact is done at the lower court.

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, but this is my lay understanding of the law.

Even then, and I find this questionable since it still falls into the criminal justice umbrella, this hasn't been tried at the federal level yet. It's not even clear if the states can execute section 3 if the crime didn't take place under their jurisdiction.

It seems that's why some states have preferred not to take Trump off the ballot.
wat0n wrote:Even then, and I find this questionable since it still falls into the criminal justice umbrella, this hasn't been tried at the federal level yet. It's not even clear if the states can execute section 3 if the crime didn't take place under their jurisdiction.

It seems that's why some states have preferred not to take Trump off the ballot.

Two scholars, Lawrence Tribe and Judge Luttig wrote a piece in the Atlantic on this, asserting that section 3 was self executing and does not require a criminal conviction. It is also confirmed here:

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product ... b/lsb10569

Page 2 paragraph 3 states:
Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment does not expressly require a criminal conviction, and historically, one was not necessary.

The Congressional Research Service's paper on this apparently has the blessing of Congress, given that they were delegated to the task, they are an arm of the Library of Congress, and is uploaded to the Congress's own website.

Many criminal acts have civil counterparts, either for civil damages or remedy, and in this case, Trump is appealing for remedy. The fact that he is appealing a civil action demonstrates that we are not in the purview of criminal law, but civil law.
Skinny Bob wrote:Two scholars, Lawrence Tribe and Judge Luttig wrote a piece in the Atlantic on this, asserting that section 3 was self executing and does not require a criminal conviction. It is also confirmed here:

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product ... b/lsb10569

Page 2 paragraph 3 states:
Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment does not expressly require a criminal conviction, and historically, one was not necessary.

The Congressional Research Service's paper on this apparently has the blessing of Congress, given that they were delegated to the task, they are an arm of the Library of Congress, and is uploaded to the Congress's own website.

Many criminal acts have civil counterparts, either for civil damages or remedy, and in this case, Trump is appealing for remedy. The fact that he is appealing a civil action demonstrates that we are not in the purview of criminal law, but civil law.

Thanks, but that CRS report also says it's not clear exactly how section 3 is meant to be executed or if it's actually self-executing.

It is indeed not clear a criminal conviction is necessary - but it is also not clear just how is it supposed to be put in practice in general. I would even say it's not even clear what standard of evidence should be used here, even if you only want to limit it to civil cases.
@wat0n

One can see you are not a lawyer.

Civil cases are decided on the balance of probability. And before you ask, Yes, built into the preponderance of probability standard is a generous degree of flexibility.

:)
ingliz wrote:@wat0n

One can see you are not a lawyer.

Civil cases are decided on the balance of probability. And before you ask, Yes, built into the preponderance of probability standard is a generous degree of flexibility.

:)

Again, it's not even clear if preponderance of evidence is the correct standard of evidence to use, there is precedent of courts pushing back against using preponderance of evidence in "quasi-criminal cases" when the consequences for the accused are severe.
Godstud wrote:I am going to vote 6 times for Trump, because I want to watch America burn.

:D

You can not vote for Trump because you are a Canadian citizen living abroad. Hee hee.

But I can vote against Trump by already registering for emailed ballots and faxing them back before the deadline. Which I already have done. Hey folks, if you do not vote? You can hardly complain about the fools that wind up in office eh? Vote or be a victim.

Who are you going to vote for in Canada Godstud? :D
wat0n wrote:Again, it's not even clear if preponderance of evidence is the correct standard of evidence to use, there is precedent of courts pushing back against using preponderance of evidence in "quasi-criminal cases" when the consequences for the accused are severe.

As I understand the law, as a layman, a preponderance of the evidence is the standard for all civil cases, punitive or remedy.
wat0n wrote:Again, it's not even clear if preponderance of evidence is the correct standard of evidence to use, there is precedent of courts pushing back against using preponderance of evidence in "quasi-criminal cases" when the consequences for the accused are severe.

The consequences are not "severe". He's not facing prison, or even probation. The consequence is very minor in the grand scheme of things.
Fasces wrote:The consequences are not "severe". He's not facing prison, or even probation. The consequence is very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Vote against Trump Fasces. Lol.

VoteFromAbroad.org and register. Through email. And then fax in or email in your vote. Done. Lol. Stay in Spain and vote in the US elections. ;)
Fasces wrote:
The consequences are not "severe". He's not facing prison, or even probation. The consequence is very minor in the grand scheme of things.

If he is convicted of the federal charges, confinement is likely. Most likely some form of house arrest, having an ex-president complete with his SS security detail, in prison, would be awkward.

But we are in uncharted water, so who knows..

Anyway, regardless of the type of confinement, it will be where he dies, you can see it if you know what to look for, his health is failing. I'd guesstimate he's got 2 to 4 years. I'm surprised no one has raised it as an issue, I don't think he'll last the 4 years..
Now I have just read that Jack Smith , the prosecutor , is intending to invoke the old Ku Klux Klan Act .

On Tuesday, in response to the federal case brought by special prosecutor Jack Smith over Trump’s alleged role in the January 6 insurrection, Trump threatened a new round of violence – or “bedlam” – if he loses the election. In early February, the US supreme court will also rule on the Colorado supreme court’s decision to disqualify Trump from the state’s ballot for his part in the insurrection.

The two cases might appear to be disconnected, but they are inseparable in law and history. They are united by Congress’s Reconstruction-era action to enforce the 14th amendment’s extension of constitutional rights against the former Confederates’ campaign of racial and political violence – the Ku Klux Klan Acts of 1870 and 1871.

Smith has indicted Trump under the KKK Act, which incorporates the 14th amendment, section 3, of the constitution. The Colorado court’s disqualification comes under the third section of the amendment, which disqualifies from office anyone who has engaged in insurrection against the United States. There are clear and compelling reasons why Trump has been indicted under the KKK Act and disqualified under the 14th amendment, section 3. Those reasons are stated in the indictments and court rulings.

Trump has been charged on the same grounds that Klansmen were prosecuted, not only during Reconstruction but also during the civil rights era of the 1960s, and he has been removed from the ballot on the same basis as Confederate traitors were removed from elective office. Complacent commentators have dismissed the charges that Trump has brought on himself, hoping to calm the waters by vainly demonstrating their fair-mindedness. But the law is not somnambulant forever and the historical reality underlying it cannot be erased as it was in the aftermath of the dismantling of Reconstruction in a ‘lost cause’ of false conciliation. Through the civil war amendments, the newly freed slaves began to establish themselves as citizens with equal protection under the law and the right to vote. By 1867, in 10 of the 11 former Confederate states, 80% of eligible black men had registered to vote. Blacks and whites enacted new state constitutions and elected Republicans to state and federal offices, including many African Americans. Almost at once they were subjected to a reign of terror.

The Ku Klux Klan, established in 1866 and led by former Confederate officers, mobilized to deprive black Americans of their rights, and spread across the south to reimpose white supremacy. Reconstruction was subverted by a violent counterrevolution proclaimed as “Redemption”. Nearly 10% of the black delegates to those constitutional conventions were murdered.

In 1867, the Congress passed the Military Reconstruction Act, dividing the south into five districts to be governed under the authority of Union generals. No former Confederate state could be considered legitimate or receive congressional representation until it held a democratically elected convention that adopted the 14th amendment. The Military Reconstruction Act excluded from the conventions anyone who fell under section 3 of the 14th amendment, which barred those who had taken an oath to the constitution but violated it by engaging in insurrection from holding many offices in the postwar United States.

When states applied for readmittance the Congress authorized each one with legislation stating they had qualified under section 3. Four southern states – South Carolina, Texas, Arkansas and Alabama – incorporated section 3 into their new constitutions.

The state of Georgia was readmitted on this basis in 1869. But as President Ulysses Grant stated in his first annual message to the Congress later that year, white Democrats in the Georgia legislature “in violation of the constitution which they had just ratified (as since decided by the supreme court of the State) … unseated the colored members of the legislature and admitted to seats some members who are disqualified by the third clause of the fourteenth amendment to the Constitution – an article which they themselves had contributed to ratify”.

As a result, the Congress deprived Georgia of its federal representation until members of the legislature swore an oath of eligibility or had been cleared from the disability by Congress, as stipulated by the 14th amendment. From the start, Congress’s actions made it clear that when section 3 was ratified, it came into force carrying real consequences for violations.

Behind these removals and oaths was a surging Klan that staged hundreds of violent nighttime raids, lynchings, rapes, church and school burnings, and whippings of black citizens, as well as assassinations of white Republicans. The Klan is estimated to have killed anywhere from 2,500 to 20,000 people during Reconstruction. The grand dragon of the KKK, the former Confederate general John B Gordon, testified before a congressional committee to disclaim any knowledge of the Klan: “I do not know anything about any Ku Klux organization … We never called it Ku Klux, and therefore I do not know anything about Ku Klux.” By contrast, the Klan’s grand wizard, the former Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest, who ordered the massacre of black troops after their surrender during the war, explained that blacks “were becoming very insolent”, and that “this [Ku Klux Klan] was got up to protect the weak, with no political intention at all”.

The KKK Act was Congress’s attempt to stamp out the Klan’s domestic terrorism. It criminalized using “force, bribery, threats, intimidation, or other unlawful means” to interfere with any citizen’s right and ability to vote.

Striking at former Confederates who were commanding the Klan, the act then prescribed imprisonment of “any person who shall hereafter knowingly accept or hold any office under the United States, or any State to which he is ineligible under the third section of the fourteenth article of amendment of the Constitution of the United States … ” Under the KKK Act, Grant’s attorney general, Amos Akerman, successfully prosecuted more than 1,100 cases against members of the Klan, effectively breaking it up.

In the 1872 campaign, a large faction of the national Republican party opposed the KKK Act and advocated reconciliation with the south. They called themselves the Liberal Republican party and aligned with the Democrats against Grant’s re-election. The Amnesty Act of 1872, lifting the disability of section 3, was a sop to outflank the Liberal Republicans and marked the beginning of the end of Reconstruction. Still, Grant was re-elected, winning eight southern states with a black-white coalition.

Post-Klan terrorist organizations – the White League in Louisiana, the White Liners in Mississippi and the Red Shirts in South Carolina – sprang up across the South to use paramilitary force to seize state governments. The Republicans lost their House majority in 1874; Democrats cut the justice department’s budget for enforcing the KKK Act. The 1876 presidential election was decided in a literal smoked-filled room through a deal in which the Republican candidate, Rutherford B Hayes, would become president in exchange for the withdrawal of federal troops from the south.

The final contemporaneous effort at an enforcement act, the Federal Elections Act of 1890, drafted by Congressman Henry Cabot Lodge of Massachusetts, would have provided US marshals to secure elections in the states, but was defeated in the Congress. In 1896, the supreme court ruling in Plessy v Ferguson upholding segregation was the capstone on a series of court decisions eviscerating Reconstruction laws. Not until Plessy was overturned in Brown v Board of Education in 1954 with the rise of the civil rights movement did the civil war amendments and their enforcement stir to life again.

In 1964, three civil rights workers were murdered by members of the Ku Klux Klan and the local police in Neshoba county, Mississippi. The justice department brought the case against 18 killers under the federal conspiracy statutes of the KKK Act before a grand jury presided over by federal judge William Harold Cox, a diehard segregationist. Cox dismissed the charges brought under section 241 of the KKK Act – a “conspiracy against rights”, extending federal criminal jurisdiction over private actors interfering with other citizens’ “free exercise of enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States”.

The circuit court upheld Cox on the ground that section 241 does not include rights protected by the 14th amendment. The justice department appealed to the US supreme court, represented in the case by the solicitor general, Thurgood Marshall, who had argued the Brown case for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. On 28 March 1966, in United States v Price, et al, known as the Mississippi Burning case, the court ruled unanimously that section 241 was applicable. The decision, written by Justice Abe Fortas, reviewed the history of the civil war amendments. “We think that history leaves no doubt that, if we are to give Section 241 the scope that its origins dictate, we must accord it a sweep as broad as its language,” he wrote. “In this context, it is hardly conceivable that Congress intended Section 241 to apply only to a narrow and relatively unimportant category of rights. We cannot doubt that the purpose and effect of Section 241 was to reach assaults upon rights under the entire Constitution, including the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments, and not merely under part of it.”

It is precisely under section 241 of the Ku Klux Klan Act, upheld by the supreme court in an opinion that establishes the broadest possible application, that the justice department indicted Donald Trump on 1 August 2023. The indictment was not restricted to Trump’s activities during the January 6 US Capitol riot, but to the period of his conspiracy to stage a coup, a span that began after the election to the day he left office.

To wit, count 4: “From on or about November 14, 2020, through on or about January 20, 2021, in the District of Columbia and elsewhere, the Defendant, DONALD J. TRUMP, did knowingly combine, conspire, confederate, and agree with co-conspirators, known and unknown to the Grand Jury, to injure, oppress, threaten, and intimidate one or more persons in the free exercise and enjoyment of a right and privilege secured to them by the Constitution and laws of the United States – that is, the right to vote, and to have one’s vote counted.”

The special prosecutor then made clear that the law that Trump had violated was the pertinent section of the KKK Act: “In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 241.”

Trump’s indictment under the KKK Act is the core of the charges against him. To convict him, there would be no need to determine definitively whether his incitement at the White House rally on 6 January 2021 makes him responsible for the assault on the Capitol, whether he obstructed a federal procedure or his state of mind during the insurrection. He would be held accountable for his centrality in the entire broad conspiracy under section 241 – under an expansive interpretation already decided by the supreme court. Moreover, section 241 does not require an overt act in furtherance of “conspiracy against rights”, though it does require intent. It also does not require an act of violence.

The 14th amendment, section 3, provides a disqualification for insurrectionists. It was a self-executing document, just as was the 13th amendment abolishing slavery. The Congress enacted a series of enforcement acts – the first and second Reconstruction Acts, and the first Civil Rights Act. As President Grant and the Congress stated in the crisis over Georgia in 1869, the only means to remove the “disability” of disqualification was by an act of the Congress as stipulated in section 3 – an amnesty. The very existence of a remedy providing for the removal of the disqualification implies that the law is self-executing, as Grant and the Congress understood.

The Ku Klux Klan Act, which specifically included section 3, was a further instrument to deal with a new insurrection. During Reconstruction that section was used within the KKK Act to suppress precisely that insurrection. Grant and the Congress knew that the 14th amendment was not limited to the insurrection that forced the civil war, but also was a governing constitutional document applicable to future insurrections.

None of Trump’s defenders have suggested pursuing the proper remedy that is given within section 3, namely a congressional amnesty for him. To do so would be an admission that he was guilty of engaging in an insurrection against the United States. There would be no need for an amnesty unless there was a crime. An amnesty would be analogous to a pardon. But, with flagrant irresponsibility, virtually all of the Republican presidential primary candidates have offered that they would pardon Trump. They signaled that he has committed crimes and yet must be unaccountable. Still, despite their own logic, or illogic, they avoid discussing an amnesty.

A number of commentators opine that Trump must not be held to account because it would arouse his enraged followers and violate the spirit of direct democracy (never mind the spirit of the law). Others assert that liberals who speak about the rule of law are perverse elitists who, by supporting Trump’s disqualification, reveal their true contempt for the people’s will. They urge relief for Trump as a naive gesture of good faith, as if even-handedness will encourage tolerance and pluralism. In short, the mechanism for the preservation of democracy must be withheld in the name of democracy.

Meanwhile, at the federal appeals court hearing on his claim that he is immune from all prosecution because he is exempt from the 14th amendment, Trump threatened that if his trials proceed, if he fails to be granted “absolute immunity”, and if he loses the election, there would be “bedlam” – yet another incitement to insurrection.

Taking his 14th amendment argument to its logical conclusion, his attorney, D John Sauer, argued before the three-judge panel that Trump could order the military to assassinate an opponent and be protected from indictment unless he was first impeached and convicted by the Senate. His statement attempted to elevate to a constitutional immunity Trump’s notorious remark in 2015: “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters, OK?” Trump’s attorney seemed unaware or indifferent that by the same logic President Biden could with impunity order the assassination of Trump.

In 1927, Trump’s father, Fred Trump, 21 years old, was arrested, according to police records, at a Ku Klux Klan rally in Queens, New York, where 1,000 robed and hooded Klansmen marched through the streets. “This never happened,” Donald Trump said when the story reappeared in 2022. “Never took place. He was never arrested, never convicted, never even charged. It’s a completely false, ridiculous story. He was never there! It never happened. Never took place.”

The Trump trials have put the civil war and Reconstruction amendments on trial again – “the results of the war”, as Grant called it. Trump’s indictment under section 241 of the KKK Act tests the federal government’s ability and willingness to secure basic voting rights and defend the constitution. Or else there will be “bedlam”. The Guardian
late wrote:If he is convicted of the federal charges, confinement is likely. Most likely some form of house arrest, having an ex-president complete with his SS security detail, in prison, would be awkward.

But we are in uncharted water, so who knows..

Anyway, regardless of the type of confinement, it will be where he dies, you can see it if you know what to look for, his health is failing. I'd guesstimate he's got 2 to 4 years. I'm surprised no one has raised it as an issue, I don't think he'll last the 4 years..

That's not the case wat0n was talking about.
Fasces wrote:The consequences are not "severe". He's not facing prison, or even probation. The consequence is very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Some courts have found that the consequences of being found guilty of the college title IX sexual harassment regulations are severe enough as to warrant using a "clear and convincing" standard of evidence, even though this is only adjudicated by colleges.

I would say the consequences in this case (being barred from public office) are comparable.
We keep hearing this liberal drivel about a Trump dictatorship, when they're the one's generally trying to steal our freedom. Abortion is the one issue that stands out where Trump has helped steal our freedom. Well Trump's hardly the worst Republican on abortion and if pro abortion protesters were to storm Congress and the White House and burn them to the ground, they would have my complete support. But no on most issues its the Liberals who are stealing our freedom.

Just ask the question, what sort of dictatorship is Trump supposed to be wanting to create? Something like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tranistria etc? At the end of four years in the White House, Trump's businesses empire was still nothing compared to the big corporations. Or perhaps he wants to be great military adventurer like Napoleon or Hitler? Trump's not the one that's trying to make Sevastopol into an American Naval Base. Trump shows little interest in military adventures. Its Joe Biden whose trying to take control of the Black Sea. Its Joe Biden who apparently is considering sending American troops to police Gaza.

What exactly is the content of this supposed Trump dictatorship? The most extreme thing I can see him doing is adding his portrait to Mount Rushmore. Really I wouldn't see that as one of the world's most pressing issues.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Rancid anyone who applauds and approves genocida[…]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be als[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]