US Navy almost fires on Iranian ships after provocation - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Balzak
#1420628
oxymoron wrote:Iran was given independence by Britain.

Absolutely not true. Britain often meddled with Iran's internal affairs - in particular bribing politicians who were willing to protect its interests - but Iran never was a colony like most other countries in the region were.

oxymoron wrote:Thus controlling it and by the grace of Britian they got their independence back.

"By the grace of Britain" ... don't make me laugh. The Britains sucked the blood (read: oil) out of Iran at the expense of the Iranian people. The US simply took over (that is, until 1979) because Britain was an empire in decline. They couldn't topple Iran's government in 1953 without substantial help from the US.

As for this whole incident, I guess those Iranian boats reacted a little overzealous, you know, like the USS Vincennes reacted a little overzealous when they shot down an Iranian civilian airplane.

Anyway, is it only a coincidence that this incident happened to occur just a few days before president Bush's first visit to the Middle East to forge an anti-Iranian alliance?
User avatar
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
#1420633
The OP said:
The U.S. Navy also received a radio transmission that officials believe came from the Iranian boats. The transmission said, "I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes," the U.S. military officials told CNN.

When the U.S. ships heard that radio transmission, they took up their gun positions and officers were "in the process" of giving the order to fire when the Iranians abruptly turned away, the U.S. officials said.


It was very nice of those Iranians to issue their threats in English over the radio :roll:

4 pages so far on the US 'nearly' firing at the Iranians - who says this forum is nose-diving in quality?
User avatar
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
#1420658
does it matter what language it's said in?


Considering the 'reaction' time - yes
User avatar
By Rancid
#1420663
Considering the 'reaction' time - yes


I'd imagine they would have multiple translators on board.. especially since they are patrolling that region of the world.

the fact is.. we don't know what language it was said in... the report should have indicated that.
By Thompson_NCL
#1420701
Adolf Hitler was Christian and proud.


Absolute nonsense. Although Hitler did promote his own version of Christianity (Positive Christianity) it's absurd to suggest he was a Christian himself. He clearly states in Mein Kampf -

"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter."


One of the key tenants of Christianity is that Jesus died on the Cross to save our souls. You can't be a Christian and deny this fact. And further to that, it's made clear in the Donvoan Nuremburg collection that the Nazi's were going to destroy the Christian churches at the first opportunity.

About London and Madrid, well i don't have a clue, but probably that the involvement of these two nations in imperialistic operations in Iraq have something to do with the terrorist acts more than any God knows what fundamentalist ideology.


The British born suicide bombers felt so outraged by our involvement in Iraq that they had to blow themselves up? That wasn't very British of them. And they're really putting to shame the rest of the other war protesters!

Can you honestly tell me that their behaviour was not both extreme and clearly Muslim in character? Would that not clearly make them Muslim Extremists?
Last edited by Thompson_NCL on 08 Jan 2008 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#1420703
Hitler wrote:"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter."

Hiter was trying to "get the guy who shot his Pa (Jesus)" in much the same way that Israel is forever bombing Hitlers.
User avatar
By Tailz
#1420723
RancidWannaRiot wrote:
I'm curious as to how Iranian news sources would tell the story though...

Me too, I am dyeing to see the Iranian media spin on this one.

I just know they are going to work the word "Patriotic" in there somewhere.

Goranhammer wrote:
"American ships invade Iranian waters. With the power of Allah, our ships repelled the vessels of the Great Satan. All is well in our holy land. Now slap your wife and go to bed."

Oh gods, I giggles so much I hurt!
Last edited by Tailz on 09 Jan 2008 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
#1420736
the fact is.. we don't know what language it was said in... the report should have indicated that.


I suggest you watch the video in your BBC link.
User avatar
By Rancid
#1420741
I suggest you watch the video in your BBC link.

my computer is jacked up.. can't watch it..

so it's not English.. either way.. i'm sure they had translator..

anyway.. why are you all nanny panny anyway? not like the opened fire on the boats (they should have though..)
User avatar
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
#1420762
you don't need to watch the video, the BBC link you posted says:
A heavily-accented male voice can be heard saying: "I am coming at you. You will explode."

Common sense would tell you thats heavily accented English, not Farsi
User avatar
By Oxymoron
#1420780
Common sense would tell you thats heavily accented English


English is used in international waters if I am not mistaken.
User avatar
By Kapanda
#1420801
It's funny - when a country is in trouble, who the first country they call for help is? Oh that's right, the murdering government of the U.S.A.

I really feel we should just stop helping - in any way. We send billions of dollars to countires in need - nobody cares - the next time a country is invaded - and we are asked to help - nope - let them eat it - cause if we did help i.e Fance / Europe, South Korea, Kuwait, Bosnia...etc. we are just out there murdering innocent people - so i say F that - let someone else do it.

You ACTUALLY believe that the US acts with the world's interest at heart on the international stage??
By Piano Red
#1420802
You ACTUALLY believe that the US acts with the world's interest at heart on the international stage??


What did anything in his post have to do with the US acting with the world's interests at heart?
Last edited by Piano Red on 09 Jan 2008 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Kapanda
#1420805
Well, when you help someone, you're usually thinking about who you're helping...
User avatar
By Eauz
#1420816
Piano Red wrote:Uh...yes it does, very much so. The term international waters means that American ships have every right to be in them as Iranian ships do.
Unfortunately, nothing you said here actually discusses what I said. Maybe you were too busy waving your flag to present an argument in return?

Go 'merica!
By keso
#1420817
Oh what a coincidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080108/pl ... ligence512

But he said that probably the "most historically significant feature" of the declassified report was the retelling of the 1964 Gulf of Tonkin incident.

That was a reported North Vietnamese attack on American destroyers that helped lead to president Lyndon Johnson's sharp escalation of American forces in Vietnam.

The author of the report "demonstrates that not only is it not true, as (then US) secretary of defense Robert McNamara told Congress, that the evidence of an attack was 'unimpeachable,' but that to the contrary, a review of the classified signals intelligence proves that 'no attack happened that night,'" FAS said in a statement.

"What this study demonstrated is that the available intelligence shows that there was no attack. It's a dramatic reversal of the historical record," Aftergood said.

"There were previous indications of this but this is the first time we have seen the complete study," he said.
By Piano Red
#1420929
Well, when you help someone, you're usually thinking about who you're helping...


Not necessarily, and again I fail to see what that has to with the notions raised in his post.

Unfortunately, nothing you said here actually discusses what I said. Maybe you were too busy waving your flag to present an argument in return?


Everything you said was a Strawman (as I thought I hinted to in one of my previous posts) that wasn't worthy of addressing.

Nuff said.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10
Ukrainegate

We had a Secretary of State who believed it was[…]

Of course it's backfired on them because people h[…]

Election 2020

Ahead of a potential Democratic presidential run, […]

So we will be a lot smarter, healthier, and eat no[…]