Protest flares over crab catch - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Look what was in the news today (canada.com). Who knew fishermen/fisherpeople (??) could be so passionate.

Protest flares over crab catch
Angry fishermen torched four boats

Monday, May 05, 2003

CREDIT: MARIO LANDRY, CP

A sense of calm was returning to this northeastern New Brunswick community yesterday after fishermen upset over reduced crab quotas torched fishing vessels, a fish plant and warehouse.

"Right now, it's not tense," said RCMP Sgt. Gary Cameron in an interview yesterday.

"But it's not really back to normal because when you come into town you see two large buildings have been burned to the ground and four large fishing vessels (also destroyed).

"But there's no demonstrators. We're hopeful everything will stay calm and quiet."

Three boats and an office building, owned by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, were set on fire during a demonstration by about 250 people that started along the waterfront in Shippagan on Saturday afternoon, he said.

Another boat owned by the Big Cove native band was also burned, as well as a privately-owned fish plant and warehouse.

The protest started out peacefully but the mood of the crowd turned violent, Cameron said.

About 50 police officers were called to the scene.

Firefighters rushing to the blazes were held back by the demonstrators initially, he said. They were eventually allowed in and were fighting the fires until yesterday morning.

No one was injured and no arrests had been made by yesterday afternoon.

The fish plant and warehouse were razed and the boats, designated by DFO for the native fishery, were smoking ruins.

The RCMP's major crime unit was continuing to investigate.

"We're gathering intelligence and using a measured approach by talking to a number of groups to ensure open lines of communication," Cameron said.

The violence on the waterfront started late Friday when 100 crab traps were set on fire on the wharf.

Earlier in the day, Ottawa had reduced the total allowable catch for crab to 17,000 tonnes from last year's 22,000 tonnes for most of the region, but also allowed more people to fish for them.

The decision affects 75 vessels in New Brunswick, 45 in Quebec, 30 in Prince Edward Island and two in Nova Scotia.

Federal Fisheries Minister Robert Thibault urged fishermen to show restraint.

"I encourage people to stay calm," he told the ATV television network during a stop in Halifax yesterday. "We're inviting the industry to the table as we've continued to do."

Jim Jones, regional director general of DFO in Moncton, N.B., said the department has had an "ongoing, extensive set of negotiations" with the crab industry since December.

"Unfortunately, the crab industry was not prepared to enter into a co-management arrangement with us and left us no choice but to release the fishing plan as we did," he explained, adding he's been in touch with their lead negotiator in Quebec since the plan was released.

"We're more than prepared to sit down with them at any time. But it's their call," he said.

Jones said the industry opposes Thibault's plan to provide a permanent share of the fishery to other groups, including an allocation for the aboriginal fishery.

Meanwhile, almost 700 inshore lobster fishing boats were set to leave today from northeastern New Brunswick for the start of the annual spring lobster fishing season in the region.

Winter ice seems to be finally leaving after delaying the start of the season for five days, said a spokesperson with the Maritime Fishermen's Union.

Could this the beginning of an eastern/atlantic seperation in Canada? (is secretly wishing to do some sort of fighting and campaigning)
By smithbrian86
I have been following this story since it broke, its not at all surprising. In response to your question
Could this be the beginning of an eastern/atlantic seperation in Canada?
I would like to think so, but large scale change at this level is nothing more then a spark (to use a cliche term) it would need to be fanned into a flame.

I think I should point out however that if there is a want of seperation then this definitely is not the beginning, you may remember the Sydney Steel riots of the early 1990's. This is just another spark, the question is, shall we fan it?

Brian Smith - Eastern Independence, Forever.
By uglygoat
it doesn't surprise me that fishermen are so 'passonate'. that's they're livihood that's been reduced by quotas etc.

i'm more interested in the seperatist sympathies.. it's not something i've heard much about cept for the quebecious stuff.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]