Attack in Jerusalem ***Breaking*** - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Several people were killed Thursday in what Israeli police are calling a "severe terrorist attack" at a Jewish seminary in Jerusalem.

Video from the scene showed a frantic crowd of rescue workers carrying bloodied victims into ambulances. Dozens of police officers were scouring the campus and surrounding streets.

Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said: "They opened fire on innocent youngsters studying. A number of students have been killed.

"We are still searching the building for the possibility of a second terrorist still in the building."

CNN's Ben Wedeman in Gaza reported celebratory shooting shortly after the attack.

An ambulance spokesman told CNN eight people died in the attack. A police spokesman said one attacker was dead. It was not immediately clear if the dead attacker was included in the casualty figures put out by the ambulance service.

In the minutes after the attack the reported number of wounded varied from six to 35.

Earlier Thursday, one person was injured when a rocket struck a home near Gaza Thursday, Israeli ambulance officials said.

The Qassam rocket hit a home in the Israeli city of Sderot Thursday evening, they said.

An Israel Defense Forces spokeswoman said a total of 10 rockets were fired from Gaza Thursday.

Earlier Thursday, the military wing of Islamic Jihad said it killed an Israeli soldier and wounded three others in what it called a revenge attack.

The Israeli military confirmed the casualties, saying the soldiers were on patrol along the Gaza border on Thursday morning when a roadside bomb exploded.

Islamic Jihad said the attack was in revenge for the death earlier this week of one of its senior leaders. Israel said two other militants were also killed in Tuesday night's incursion into Gaza, near Khan Yunis.

Israel has staged a series of military operations into Gaza over the last week in an attempt to stop Palestinian militants from firing rockets from the Palestinian territory into Israel.

More than 100 Palestinians have died during the operations. Two Israeli soldiers were also killed.

Witnesses said explosions rocked a border area east of the Gaza village of Garara, setting an Israeli army jeep on fire. Israeli troops, on the lookout for attackers, regularly patrol the border.

Separately, the Israeli military confirmed an airstrike on armed militants in northern Gaza.

The violence came a day after Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said he will heed calls to renew peace talks with Israel, an about-face from earlier on Wednesday when he said Palestinians wouldn't return to the table before reaching a cease-fire.

The turnaround came as U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice met with Israeli leaders in Jerusalem, and as the Israeli Security Cabinet approved further military action against Hamas and other militants launching rockets into Israel from Gaza.

Source: CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast ... index.html
By NYYS
Wonderful. :roll: And now Israel bombs the sites where this came from, and round and round we go...
By hadzo
I guess Hamas retaliated … in their classic ways of course …

Very unfortunate for those poor people but what did the world (better yet Israel) expect?
By hadzo
Wonderful. And now Israel bombs the sites where this came from, and round and round we go...

yep :|
By Spin
Israel's retaliation should keep us occupied until the Colombia-Venezuela war starts.
By Oxymoron
I guess Hamas retaliated … in their classic ways of course …

So its ok for Hamas to target civilians, and the world will remain quiet?

Now Israel will retaliate against Hamas fighters and the world will condemn any collatoral damage.
By hadzo
Israel's retaliation should keep us occupied until the Colombia-Venezuela war starts.

Ah – aren’t current worlds affairs just so dang entertaining…. :roll:
By hadzo
So its ok for Hamas to target civilians, and the world will remain quiet?

Never said it was ... But keep in mind that when Israel retaliates and civilians “accidentally” die that does not mean that Hamas or whoever is just going to turn their head away … I’m not supporting this but cant you clearly see that this is just an never ending circle. So then if Hamas does not care Israel cares just as less.
By Oxymoron
So then if Hamas does not care Israel cares just as less.

If Israel followed the Hamas doctrine we wouldnt have any Palestinians in Gaze any more. Israel tries to minimize collatoral damage while Hamas tries to Maximise civilian deaths.
By Private
Seriously what the fcuk did Israel expect?

Did they expect them to lie down and 'peacefully' surrender and be shot? (along with their baby)

I feel for these poor Israeli victims who just died. They should blame their government, and no one else.
By Nets
Did they expect them to lie down and 'peacefully' surrender and be shot? (along with their baby)

Even if this were the case, I don't see how shooting up a high school saves Palestinian lives, or advances Palestinian nationalism, or hits the Israeli military in any significant way...it only invites retribution, just like the rockets.

I feel for these poor Israeli victims who just died. They should blame their government, and no one else.

Ha. I love your two sided logic here. This would mean that the Palestinians killed in Gaza should blame their government Hamas, and no one else, correct? Or does your blame only go in one direction.

If you think going into a high school and shooting at students eating lunch is in any way comparable to civilians getting killed in the crossfire between the IDF and Hamas militants in urban warfare, you are unredeemable.
Last edited by Nets on 06 Mar 2008 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
By Oxymoron
Did they expect them to lie down and 'peacefully' surrender and be shot?

They expected Hamass stop firing rockets into Israel which is an act of war. Targeting civilians should never be expected by any one. Your defence of this is unexcusable, if IDF soldiers ran into a school and shot the students I would be appaled and would demand they be brought to justice.
By Rodion
Private wrote:Did they expect them to lie down and 'peacefully' surrender and be shot?

I'm sorry, I just ignored the rest of the thread. Are you talking about Sderot and Qassam rockets?
By Maas
Targeting civilians should never be expected by any one. Your defence of this is unexcusable

Israel targets civilians by depriving them from electricity, food and medicines. "Your defence is unexcusable as well".

I haven't read anybody supporting the bombing, by the way oxy. That's a figment of your immagination. People only say it's a logical answere to what Israel is doing. That aint picking sides.
By Oxymoron
Israel targets civilians by depriving them from electricity, food and medicines.

So Israel should supply a State which is waging war against it? Hamas an elected Goverment of the Palestinians are shooting Rockets into Israel that is an Act of war.
By Nets
I haven't read anybody supporting the bombing, by the way oxy. That's a figment of your immagination. People only say it's a logical answere to what Israel is doing. That aint picking sides.

It's only a logical response in a twisted worldview though. Israel's attacks are logical, they target militant infrastructure and rocket sites. Shooting up a school is an illogical response in warfare and serves no practical purpose other than terror.
By Private
...Are you talking about Sderot and Qassam rockets?

They're no where near as deadly and as powerful as the (U.S made military hardware), Israel possesses.

Are you supprised they started to take drastic action?

Let me rephrase:

Did Israel expect them to continue using very poor methods of fighting? (rather claming)
By hadzo
Israel tries to minimize collatoral damage while Hamas tries to Maximise civilian deaths.

So then explain the highlighted in bold, please.

Just tell me why you and many use terms such as “collateral” when it comes to civilian killed on Palestine side? – and civilians on Israel side, aren’t civilians the same on both sides?
Last edited by hadzo on 06 Mar 2008 21:16, edited 2 times in total.
By Rodion
Maas wrote:Israel targets civilians by depriving them from electricity, food and medicines.

How dare they. Israel should totally make Gaza a utopian paradise. That'll drive Hamas out.

Private wrote:They're no where near as deadly and as powerful as the (U.S made military hardware), Israel possesses.

Are you supprised they started to take drastic action?

Let me rephrase:

Did Israel expect them to continue using very poor methods of fighting? (rather claming)

When committing to asymmetrical warfare, one should not whine like a bitch after the aforementioned deadly and powerful U.S. made military hardware is dumped on them.
By Private
Shooting up a school is an illogical response in warfare and serves no practical purpose other than terror.

Terror ? is what you've forced on to them.

Terror makes terrorists.

The 20 Day Old Princess

Ameera (Arabic for princess), 20 days old killed by “Israel” while in between her mom’s hands… Apparently the innocent “Israeli” soldiers thought she was the one behind the home-made rocket launched into Sderot…

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]

It is also speculation to say these humanitarian w[…]