G-G denies Alleged rape - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Yeddi
The G-G scandel deepens with the G-G being accused of rape, this compounds the other allegation that he knew of pedophilia in the church when he was the ArchBishop of Brisbane.

The Australian wrote:AUSTRALIA'S head of state, Governor-General Peter Hollingworth, yesterday denied he raped and assaulted a Victorian woman in the mid-1960s, claiming he was the victim of mistaken identity.

After the Victorian Supreme Court lifted a suppression order yesterday, at Dr Hollingworth's application, the Governor-General released a written statement and a video in which he rejected claims he had raped and assaulted Rose Marie Ann Jarmyn.

Mrs Jarmyn, a mother of three who committed suicide two weeks ago, aged 57, had issued civil proceedings against Dr Hollingworth, claiming he raped her at a youth camp in Bendigo, Victoria, late in 1965 or early in 1966.

"I did not know this woman. I did not rape her. I did not sexually assault her," Dr Hollingworth said yesterday. "I deny absolutely that I have ever raped or in any way sexually assaulted any person." Lawyers acting for Mrs Jarmyn's estate, who last night failed in a bid to continue suppression orders preventing publication of her name and details of her claims, insist that proceedings against Dr Hollingworth will continue, as will a coroner's inquest into her death.

In affidavits released by the Victorian Supreme Court last night, Mrs Jarmyn, identified in the documents as "BK", detailed a series of sexual and physical abuses that occurred while she was a ward of the state and in the care of the Anglican Church.

She alleged the sexual abuses started about 1956 when she was aged 10 and that those who assaulted her included an Anglican clergyman.

She claimed she met Dr Hollingworth, identified in the documents as "AB", when she was training as a nurse in Bendigo in late 1965 or early 1966. She was about 20.

She had joined a youth group attached to St John's Church, North Bendigo, and met "AB" at a meeting about a coming youth group camp. He identified himself as "the camp counsellor or chaplain".

Mrs Jarmyn said she first spoke to solicitors Shine Roche McGowan in early 2002 about her case. The solicitors showed her a photograph of Dr Hollingworth that appeared in a Brotherhood of St Laurence newsletter in June 1964.

"I am absolutely certain that the person there photographed is the person that came to tell us about the youth camp," the affidavit says.

"I have seen AB in the news in recent years and I instantly recognised him as the person who came to tell us about the youth camp."

Appearing pale, but speaking in a firm voice, Dr Hollingworth said he did not know Mrs Jarmyn. He said he had never attended St John's church hall in Bendigo, where Mrs Jarmyn alleged she met her assailant. Nor had he ever attended or organised a youth camp for the diocese of Bendigo, where the assault allegedly occurred.

"I can only assume the claims against me must have been made as a result of mistaken identity," he said.

Associates of Dr Hollingworth last night backed his explanation. Bishop James Grant, a long-time friend and colleague, last night raised the issue of possible mistaken identity.

To illustrate how dangerous and how easily identities could become mixed up to the detriment of innocent people, Bishop Grant told The Australian that in his younger days, Dr Hollingworth was widely known among his colleagues by the nickname "Holly".

Bishop Grant told The Australian that at the time of the alleged offences there was an Anglican priest attached to White Hills parish, North Bendigo, called Graham Albert Holley.

There is no suggestion that Reverend Holley has in any way behaved improperly.

The Australian last night attempted to contact Reverend Holley, who is retired and now lives in Ballarat. However, a woman who answered the phone at his house said he had no comment to make.

Vicar-General of the Bendigo diocese Archdeacon John Geldart said the Bendigo diocese had been aware of Mrs Jarmyn's allegations for "a couple of weeks", but local investigations had found nothing that implicated Dr Hollingworth.

Last night the federal Government avoided making direct comment on Dr Hollingworth's statement, in an apparent strategy to wait until John Howard returns from the Gulf tomorrow.

The Prime Minister was preparing to fly from London to Doha when Dr Hollingworth released his statement. Mr Howard's office refused to make any comment last night.

Acting Prime Minister John Anderson said he was aware of the "allegations and the strong statement of denial made by the Governor-General".

"The matter is before the courts and he does not intend to comment further," a spokesman for Mr Anderson said.

Before preparing his statement, Dr Hollingworth told a senior Anglican figure yesterday that the latest allegations against him were "preposterous and crazy'.

Earlier yesterday the federal Opposition said Dr Hollingworth should not have used suppression orders to keep his name out of the public arena.

But last night Labor leader Simon Crean said Dr Hollingworth was entitled to the presumption of innocence in a case he called a "profound human tragedy".

Reporting team: Daniel Hoare, Richard Yallop, Amanda Keenan, Kate Legge

Originally posted here

The issue is whether the G-G should resign as G-G., he should be Sacked by the PM, or whether he should staty on.
Personally i think he should stay on until the verdicts are out, if he is in fact guilty of the crimes, he should be sacked, but NOT until then, the media should not be judge, jury adn executor.
By Efrem Da King
Really its a pointless argument he should resign but unless anything concrete comes up he won't be sacked.

Besides only ausie will know what g-g is. (governer general the quens representive to australia.
By sokath
Or a Canadian, we've got one too...

I think a large chunk of former british colonies still has govgen's...

all our provinces have lieutenant governors too...

it's ridiculous how much of a closet monarchist state we are.. :lol:

S./
By Yeddi
You really are Sokath, i thought Canada was independent until 5-6 years ago when i found out your secret. Its the Flag, you're treated as a seperate country, and independent country because you have an independent flag without the lovely Union Jack.
By sokath
So it turns out that he stepped down after all. I just read it in passing, but apparently he's stepped out of office until his name could be cleared.

I think the lieutenant-governor of Tasmania is taking over until such time, or so I gather.

S./
By Proctor
Sort of. He has stepped down, which just means he gets a holiday until his name is cleared or he gets fired, and meanwhile the calls for his resignation grow ever louder...

Yeddi, what is your opinion of the Governor General?
By Yeddi
I don't think Hollingworth should ever have been put into the position, the seperation of church adn state should have been respected. But the fact is he was put into the position, and people shouting for his removal over allegations which have NOT been proven is terrible. I support him, beacuse he is the Governor General, the way they [gov] have handled it is good, if he is cleared he comes back, thats the way i would've done it.. you just can't kick him out becuase the media are calling for his removal, some of the things that are written and misconstrued are disgusting, and he would have a strong case for defamation (if he wasnm't a public figure) and of course if its all not true.

Sokath you're right, its the Governor of Tasmania who is taking hollingworths position for the time being. (We don't call them lieutenent-Governors, i've no idea why... hmm actually, was canada always.. canada or was there a federation? that could be why, for each state in Aus had a governor until federation they were the top, then G-G was added)

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]