'Al-Qaeda' attacks rock Saudi capital - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Any ideas on possible motives?. The US just pulled all its forces from Saudi, coincidence?

BBC News wrote:'Al-Qaeda' attacks rock Saudi capital
Ten Americans and many other foreigners are believed to have been killed in a series of suicide bomb attacks on foreign housing compounds and businesses in the Saudi capital Riyadh, US officials say.

An Australian man, a Saudi national and a Lebanese citizen were also killed and at least 50 others were injured when the bombers drove cars filled with explosives at four targets around the city.

US Secretary of State Colin Powell, who arrived in Saudi Arabia hours after the attacks, said: "Right now it seems as if we have lost 10 Americans killed ... Many other lives were lost from many other nationalities."

He said the "cowardly" operation bore all the signs of Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

"Terrorism strikes everywhere and everyone," he said.

"It is a threat to the civilised world."

We locked ourselves in and I telephoned my wife and said we're being bombed to hell

He was greeted on arrival by Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal, who promised to co-operate with the US in its war on terror.

The French news agency AFP said three suicide bombers were also reported killed in the blasts.

Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden and 15 of the 19 men suspected of carrying out the 11 September suicide attacks on New York and Washington.

Gunfire

Mr Powell arrived in Riyadh on Tuesday to hold talks with Crown Prince Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz as part of a Middle East tour.

He hopes to gain Arab support in Riyadh for a new US-backed peace plan to end the Palestinian and Israeli unrest.

US Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Robert Jordan said he had visited more than 40 American injured in the city hospitals.

Mr Jordan said one of the compounds attacked was a scene of flames and smoke where at least 12 homes and 16 apartment complexes were destroyed.

"There is great concern over the possible injury and loss of life in that particular compound," he said.

The second compound attacked was a several-storey residential apartment building for single men working as defence contractors which was "very seriously damaged by an explosion that made it all the way in to the building", he said.

The third compound was less damaged as the bomb exploded at the gate rather than inside the premises.

In one of the attacks, gunmen driving a black Chevrolet Caprice sedan are reported to have shot their way into the residential compound.

Security officials said the car, packed with explosives, crashed through the gates of the compound and was then detonated.

The force of the explosion shook nearby buildings and windows, witnesses said.

Security warnings

Workers from a US firm which helps trains the Saudi National Guard were reported to among those injured.

The Associated Press news agency said fourth explosion was aimed at the headquarters of the Saudi Maintenance Company, also known as Siyanco.

American residents have been advised by the US embassy in Riyadh to stay at home and "away from windows and doors".

"Saudi security forces are responding to the attacks and have been asked to take the appropriate measures to protect all other sites in the kingdom where Americans reside," an embassy statement said.

On 1 May the US State Department warned American citizens against non-essential travel to Saudi Arabia, citing intelligence that terrorist groups may be in the "final phases" of planning attacks against the American community there.

In recent months there have been a number of attacks on Western targets in the conservative Arab kingdom, including a string of shooting attacks against employees of western defence contractors in Saudi Arabia.

Did you witness the attacks in Riyadh? Send us your comments using the form below with a phone number if available.

I thought it was thunder
Lauren Morrison, Saudi Arabia
Last night I heard 2 big bangs, the second one was much louder than the first one. I was in my bed when I heard this extreme sound. I thought it was thunder since I would have never thought it would be bombs. I woke up the next morning when I was having my tea. I was flicking the channels, I was so devastated when I saw the news. A few of my friends live on this compound and I have tried to phone them but the line was cut.
Lauren Morrison, Saudi Arabia

I was in a compound in Saudi last year. Far from the 'extensive' security I have heard reported in some channels, all we had was miles of unguarded walls topped with old and broken barbed wire and a flimsy entrance gate guarded by an old, bored, unarmed security guard.
Anon, UK

We live about 1 km from one of the hit compounds. There was a serious explosion around 11.15pm, our house shook even at that distance. We thought at first that it was fireworks but then realised that the sound was quite different and then there was a night of sirens and helicopters, clearly a significant event. One of our friends in another compound found body parts in their pool this morning, just to cap a fairly bad night.
Stuart, Saudi, Riyadh

Foreign workers in Saudi Arabia
More than five million work in all areas of economy
Most from Asia, Philippines and other Arab countries
US citizens: 30,000
UK nationals: 30,000
By Siberian Fox
If it was indeed Al-Qaeda then there is no motive other than the continuing 'holy war' against the United States for supporting Israel and interfering in the Middle East.

However, it would also go to show that the invasion of Iraq was nothing to do with the so called "war on terrorism" since the invasion is only going to fuel extremism rather than prevent it.... where's my pic of that Iraqi kid...
By AnotherDeadHero
Lets be honest through. More terrorist activities are only going to benefit the current US administration. They mobilise public belief in the fictitious 'war on terrorism', offer a sound pretext for any military action in the middle east and allow Bush and co. to implement their patriot acts and other bills limiting public freedom.

Plus. Bin Laden is the Unites State's greatest asset. The willing scapegoat.
By Mercurivs
It's an age-old trick conducted by almost all states going through an 'imperialist' phase: making sure the state has enemies, whether deliberately encouraged or fictitious, to justify expansion and conquest.

So as usual, the question to ask is: who benefits?

As ADH said, is it going to be used to support further restrictions on Americans in particular in the name of security?

Or maybe it's a extra psychological tactic to discourage people from travelling to the region, or maybe just a means of keeping the 'War on Terrorism' going with news of another 'terrorist' atrocity.

Perhaps the US is in the process of setting up Saudi Arabia as a future 'enemy', or is someone just sending a message to the US?

Who knows?
So how come AnotherDeadHero, no offence to the gentlemen in question, gets to have his "three pence worth" on the conspiracy theory (and to some extent fact) of the US Government being secretly behind all of these Middle Eastern terrorist attacks and my KGB-infiltration theory is not tolerated?

I smell double-standards here.
Last edited by Putinist on 13 May 2003 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Lets be honest through. More terrorist activities are only going to benefit the current US administration. They mobilise public belief in the fictitious 'war on terrorism', offer a sound pretext for any military action in the middle east and allow Bush and co. to implement their patriot acts and other bills limiting public freedom.

Plus. Bin Laden is the Unites State's greatest asset. The willing scapegoat.

That's what I used to think, and to some extent still do. But ultimately, the reason for this terrorism is not covert US Administration control over the terrorist radicals, but rather infiltration by the KGB. Yes all that stuff about the CIA creating and for a long time financing al Qaeda is true, but now it's just not the case, and in fact it's now the KGB who have a top-level control over them - albeit not a rosy one like their co-operation with the US, because this time the Russian Communist infiltrators have what is in effect "a gun" pointed at the head of the leaders of these groups who must follow orders.

This might be seen as being pro-US and anti-Russia, but, having discovered Golitsyn, I have no choice but to accept that as being the truth. I'm sorry.

Please refrain from posting your replies here. Please post your replies at: http://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=947
By ahab
The US troops were planned to move out of SA before hostilities ended in Iraq. SA sells oil to the US at a $1 a barrel discount in exchange for military supplies and protection. I wouldn't be supprised if the same thing happens with Iraq and SA goes by the wayside. With the US able to get oil from Iraq now expect them to increase the banter against SA, because they aren't helping much in the war on terror.
By AnotherDeadHero
LOL Putinist. Starting trouble :D

There's a distinct difference between the conspiratorial claims I was making about the US administration and your Golitsyn prophecies.

I'd like to see evidence of KGB control over Al-Quaeda. I'm not saying such evidence does not exits, however I've never come across any reported incidences. This would have to be a deception of mass proportions. Where does this fit into the Afghanistan/Soviet war?. Although the KGB having a gun pointed at the leaders of Al-Quaeda could be probable, given their past and the geographical proximity of the groups bases.
By AnotherDeadHero
Dont you just love George W Bush's wise philosophical musings. :lol:

Mr Bush RE: Saudi bombing wrote:...the attacks were the work of "killers whose only faith is hatred".

We are not worthy o' Great one!
By El Cid
I heard that in the radio. They took our their embassadors, for the death of 29, they thought over 90. :roll:
They didn't do that in Germany, or Russia...
I think this is the first step to cut off ties with Saudi-Arabia. For with Iraq they have a better oil sources, before they always relied on the countries farther south.
By blackbeard
The KGB have control of Al Qaeda , do you think it's a Russian MKULTRA that they started after they caught the german monarch programming scientists ?

Students can protest on campus, but they can't jus[…]

how 'the mismeasure of man' was totally refuted.[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]

It very much is, since it's why there's a war in t[…]