Obama picks Joe Biden for Veep - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Sources: Obama picks Joe Biden as VP candidate
CNN wrote:Sen. Barack Obama has picked Delaware Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate, two Democratic sources tell CNN.

News of Biden's selection came after word that three Democrats who had been considered contenders, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, had been ruled out. The two Democratic sources who told CNN that Obama had chosen Biden spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The Obama campaign says it plans to announce his vice presidential running mate in a text message Saturday morning. Obama was then expected to appear with his vice-presidential choice at an afternoon rally in Springfield, Illinois.

Biden was long considered a likely choice for vice president, but the buzz surrounding him intensified after he returned earlier this week from a two-day trip to the Republic of Georgia after Russian troops invaded.

Biden, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, brings years of experience that could help counter GOP arguments that an Obama administration would be inexperienced on foreign policy.

Sen. John McCain's campaign quickly reacted to word that Biden would be Obama's running mate with a dig at Obama's foreign policy credentials.

"There has been no harsher critic of Barack Obama's lack of experience than Joe Biden," McCain campaign spokesman Ben Porritt said in a written statement.

"Biden has denounced Barack Obama's poor foreign policy judgment and has strongly argued in his own words what Americans are quickly realizing -- that Barack Obama is not ready to be president."
By Sniperwolfe
I'm happy that Obama did not pick Clinton.

I feel this was his best option out of those publicized.
By Nets
I was hoping for Clinton, but I can live with Biden.

At least with Biden you know what you're getting, Obama is still a question mark for me.
By The American Lion
Intresting fact: Biden is a Iraq War supporter:

Following the September 11, 2001 attacks, Biden was supportive of the Bush administration's efforts, calling for additional ground troops in Afghanistan and agreeing that Saddam Hussein was a threat that needed to be dealt with. The Bush administration rejected an effort Biden undertook with Senator Richard Lugar to pass a resolution authorizing military action only after the exhaustion of diplomatic efforts. In October 2002, Biden voted for the final resolution to support the war in Iraq. He has long supported the appropriations to pay for the occupation, but has argued repeatedly that more soldiers are needed, the war should be internationalized, and the Bush administration should "level with the American people" about the cost and length of the conflict.[20]

In November 2006, Biden and Leslie Gelb, President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations, released a comprehensive strategy to end sectarian violence in Iraq. Rather than continuing the present approach or withdrawing, the plan calls for "a third way": federalizing Iraq and giving Kurds, Shiites, and Sunnis "breathing room" in their own regions.[21]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden
By Manuel
In 2003, they all were.

I like Biden. I've always agreed with his foriegn policy. He seems to be essentially me on the Foriegn Policy stage.
By Steven_K
It will be interesting to see how he answers questions about the Iraq War - if he is repentant it would actually strengthen Obama's case. At the same time, Iraq isn't as high profile an issue, Obama's big issue is still experience, Biden comes from a real working class background, and is a known as a scrappy campaigner. I think it will boost Obama.
By KurtFF8
In 2003, they all were.

Not Obama.
The usual response to the fact that Obama wasn't is "well he wasn't a senator at the time" and there may be some truth to this, perhaps he would have been if he were in that position of power (it tends to corrupt politicians in this country a little bit).

But the fact is that not only was he opposed to the war, but he was speaking at anti-war rallies.

This pick will certainly help hush the critics of Obama's foreign policy positions, while at the same time, the left may be a little more uncomfortable with Biden's pro-war"ness" .
By Fenrir
The only candidate who impressed me during the earlier debates was Biden. I remember he confused the shit out of everyone when he explained the credit crisis and right there, I knew he wouldn't be able to charm the people for votes. I'm glad Obama chose him as the VP candidate though.
By Infidelis
Intresting fact: Biden is a Iraq War supporter:

"Intresting" or not, he's repealed that stance and has attempted to rectify his poor choice by consistently criticizing the "stay the course" route Bush et al has chosen.

Additionally, he backs compensating the veterans more fairly than they are currently...something in which McCain called "too generous."

You really show your desperation when you take such a foul and purposeless swipe.
By sazerac
Obama picks Joe Biden for Veep

Yes, I know. Senator Obama sent me a personal email this morning. He wanted me to know before anyone else. ;)
By Verv
The Obama campaign says it plans to announce his vice presidential running mate in a text message Saturday morning. Obama was then expected to appear with his vice-presidential choice at an afternoon rally in Springfield, Illinois.

Haha, announce the running mate by text message? That makes me kind of laugh... Is there an official DNC cell phone? Is it Howard Dean's personal phone? :)

I think 'text message' is a good way to announce things like what you are doing this weekend or to relay a funny joke... But... Announcing Vice Presidential candidates?
By Nattering Nabob
Haha, announce the running mate by text message? That makes me kind of laugh... Is there an official DNC cell phone? Is it Howard Dean's personal phone?

I think 'text message' is a good way to announce things like what you are doing this weekend or to relay a funny joke... But... Announcing Vice Presidential candidates?

Hundreds of thousands signed up for the e-mail/text message announcement...

Now they can be asked for donations and sent propaganda...mailing lists are the backbone of politics and Obama has extended that to e-mail/text message lists...

Meanwhile McCain is still trying to get logged on to the internet...
By Verv
Don't worry, NN, I am sure that McCain's staff will be able to pull up the drudge report announcement for him.
By Infidelis
Meanwhile McCain is still trying to get logged on to the internet...

And figure out which one of his houses have wi-fi...

I didn't get the text...I got the e-mail at 3AM..interesting time choice. :eh:
By edwardsdv
That is a shame. I had hoped he would consider Bill Richardson or Chris Dodd.

I really do not feel adding Biden to the ticket does much for him. He doesn't need help in Delaware and I do not see a single state that Biden actually helps in.

McCain is now free to choose whomever he chooses.
By Oxymoron
The only choice that made logical sence. If he chose Clinton that would undermine his whole administration even if he managed to win. He would be the third most important many in the white house behind Hillary and Bill.
By Smith
Obama is still a question mark for me

Hell, I thought the U.S. was a risk-taking country.
What are you afraid of?
What a bunch of « whiners » you have become, to use a phrase some will remember as yelled by a McCain advocate lately.

You think a guy who raises himself to the top national stage is a dumb?
You think a guy who is capable of analysis subtlety up to a point Crocker and Petraeus don't even get it is dumb?

My goodness, I'm desperate.
By QatzelOk
Nets wrote:I was hoping for Clinton, but I can live with Biden.

Just imagine trying to campaign for president while being pussy-whipped by a lady old enough to be your mama. What a nightmare this would be.

Every five minutes: "I can't believe you said that. I can't believe you wore that. I can't believe what you said to me. My feelings are still raw from what you said yesterday/the day before..."

It could turn you neurotic pretty quickly.
By Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1op8vwF5UA
I like the man.

Blunt.
Articulate.
Brilliant.
Loud (figurative sense).

He brings so much to shake this pack of listless political correctness up.

Goodness, I already see the central U.S. whining larval conservative T.V. audiences debating Jod Biden's ability to attend a Sunday mass... Or his ability to look as soft, creamy, conventional, and anti-intellectual as Bush and the late new old dumb.

What interests are those? Helping Ukraine to de[…]

@wat0n Your obsession with sexual violence is[…]

Since you keep insisting on pretending that the I[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]