Witness any historical event - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed?

The creation of the universe would have been cool. And when Moses parted the red sea (if biblical events are considered historical that is...)
Last edited by Ashoka on 21 Oct 2009 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
By Ashoka
I would have liked to witness that one from above, maybe in a helicopter or some other nimble and fast flying vehicle.

By QatzelOk
The creation of the universe would have been cool. And when Moses parted the red sea

There are Hollywood movies that represent both of these myths.

Why bother with history when you've got Hollywood.

Personally, I would have like to have been there to see the first printing press in operation.
By Ashoka
Who needs to go back in time to see the first printing press when you could just go see someone with an old one in operation.

Witnessing the big bang on television while sitting on a couch is much probably different than seeing it in person. One would have to be some god-like being to see the thing occur, what with the astronomical size, heat, magnitude, etc.

Besides, how about pre-explosion, it must be interesting to witness nothingness.
By QatzelOk
Who needs to go back in time to see the first printing press when you could just go see someone with an old one in operation.

It wouldn't be so that I could see a printing press in operation.

I'd like to hear what the people around the "new" technology predicted from it. I'd like to hear how this miracle would set us free.
By Oxymoron
And when Moses parted the red sea

It is actually translated as the sea of reed not the red sea.

I would love to see the battle of Kursk.
By Quantum
I would love to see the assassination of Julius Caesar by the Senators, from the planning of it to the execution of the plan. Hearing his last words as the dagger plunged into him would be an unforgettable experience for me, after witnessing the greatest act of tyrannicide in history.

My second choice would be to witness the suicide of Mark Anthony and then to take Cleopatra for a few hours and leave her be to commit suicide later on.
By Oxymoron
Cleopatra was overwieght and ugly, not fucking Elizabeth Taylor.
By Nets
Possibly the Entebbe raid. Or the signing of the American Declaration of Independence. Or being in the room when Andrew Wiles first presented an outline of his proof of Fermat's conjecture.
By Thompson_NCL
I'd like to hear how this miracle would set us free.

Is that sarcasm? Given your views on Mass Media I can't help but feel it is. But it's true, the printing press (and what followed) has set us free.
By QatzelOk
the printing press (and what followed) has set us free.

From what? Experiencing reality with five senses?
By Thompson_NCL
From what? Experiencing reality with five senses?

It's impossible for me to answer that question without first understanding how you believe the printing press has stopped us from experiencing reality with five senses.

Anyway, it set us free in the sense that the common man was finally able to access information much more readlity. Before the printing press, books were generally the reserve of the wealtht. Most people did not even have a Bible. The printing press changed all of that.

I have a small margin of sympathy for your one man war against mass media. But a crusade against the printed word? That is absurd.
By QatzelOk
the common man was finally able to access information much more readlity

By Thompson_NCL
What is your point Qatz? I have the freedom to CHOOSE to read those if I want too. Point and case really.
By Diligent
Qatz, are you actually implying that the invention of the Printing Press was a bad thing?
By Bosanac
The Battle of Kursk (1943), the Battle of Kosovo (1389) and the Battle of Badr (624).
By Aekos
the Battle of Kosovo (1389)

You really hate Serbs, don't you?

I'd like to see the same battle, but probably for different reasons. I'd follow Obilic around and see him do badass things.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Tell it to all the "it's all the same" […]

Muscovites always seem to get offended by the […]

Kiev fell apart, so they moved to Moscow , which […]

https://twitter.com/iamdenya_de/status/17700095631[…]