A study of history - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By spodi
Has anyone read any or all of the twelve volumes by Arnold J Toynbee? I know of the abridged version but have always wanted to read the full set. If you have read any of them, what's your opinion of the author and his insight into history?
By Solastalgia
I'm still trying to get myself to read Mankind and Mother Earth.
By spodi
Cool, I just looked it up and looks interesting. You ever hear of tragedy and hope? I finally order it off amazon and am looking forward to reading it.
By Solastalgia
Yeah, Carroll Quigley. Never read it, though. It's notorious for being an underpinning of the right-wing conspiracy theory community, such as the John Birch Society and Alex Jones, etc.
Last edited by Solastalgia on 21 Oct 2014 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
By Crantag
I've just read War and Civilization, Selections from A Study of History years and years ago, which I picked up in a used book store while on vacation. Funny you should make this thread, as I was just thinking about Toynbee the other day, and even went so far as looking up the Study of History, abridged and complete, online and at my library. I'd definitely like to revisit Toynbee at some point.
By spodi
Solastalgia wrote:Yeah, Carroll Quigley. Never read it, though. It's notorious for being an underpinning of the right-wing conspiracy theory community, such as the John Birch Society and Alex Jones, etc.

Yeah the John Birch Society kind of ruined it. In an interview Carrol states how the right took it out of context and went full blown conspiracy theory on it.
By spodi
Solastalgia and Crontag, have either of you read the rise and fall of the great powers? It looks good, but I'm bad at prioritizing really long books to read. I'm still trying to re read diplomacy. I have the interest but not the motivation.
By Solastalgia
spodi wrote:Yeah the John Birch Society kind of ruined it. In an interview Carrol states how the right took it out of context and went full blown conspiracy theory on it.

Interesting. I'd love to read/hear what he says. Got a link by any chance?

spodi wrote:have either of you read the rise and fall of the great powers?

I haven't.
By Solastalgia
Thanks.

It means a state that represents a single nation.[…]

All of Canadian land belongs to the Indigenous pe[…]

VOTE FOR U. !! https://twitter.com/i/status/17[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities a[…]