War of the Triple Alliance - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Azons
You probably can’t even place Paraguay on a map (its in the middle, next to Bolivia), but during the 1800s it was poised to become the most powerful country in South America. Today Paraguay is a weak, landlocked country, but in the 1860s it was a fledgling regional power with an industrialized, self-sufficient economy, protected by a powerful modernized military. Paraguay’s rapid industrialization and militarization frightened its neighbors who feared an upset in the balance of power on the continent.

Paraguayan President Francisco Solano López attempted to create an empire in South America, declaring war of three of his neighbors – Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay – at the same time. Independently ill prepared for war, Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay formed the Triple Alliance, pledging resources and troops to fight Paraguay. Paraguay’s powerful military made early advances, but was soon overwhelmed by the Alliance’s sheer numerical superiority.

As the Alliance advanced past Paraguay’s ring of defensive border river fortresses, President López refused to surrender and continued a brutal guerrilla campaign amid widespread starvation and rampant disease. By the time the war was over, 60-70% of the entire country had been killed and over 85% of all Paraguayan males were dead, making it proportionally the most destructive war in history for a modern nation-state. Paraguay’s dreams of a South American empire were quashed, and their influence in the region has been permanently limited.

http://theglobalstate.com/history/the-w ... -alliance/
Azons wrote:You probably can’t even place Paraguay on a map
Yes I can, if the names are written on the countries.
Independently ill prepared for war, Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay formed the Triple Alliance
Oh, that Triple Alliance...
Paraguay’s dreams of a South American empire were quashed, and their influence in the region has been permanently limited.
I know how that feels like, so if you need a shoulder to cry on... I'm here.
I'm a bit suprised that you didn't jump on the "I know how it feels to have your dreams of an empire squashed" part...
I'm a bit suprised that you didn't jump on the "I know how it feels to have your dreams of an empire squashed" part...

What do you mean? You guys won. You have your empire.

In an empire, you should profit from your colonies, not subsidize them .
Why do you think Greece is so poor? The lufwaffe flew all the money back to Germany and Merkel has it in her house.
In an empire, you should profit from your colonies, not subsidize them .

Tell that to Soviet Russia. And to the later Roman Empire. And to.... well, you get the idea. It's a common misconception that empires merely loot their colonies. Some do; some don't. The more successful and long-standing empires usually subsidise their colonies.

[youtube]9foi342LXQE[/youtube]

Just wait until we get our hands on the caucasian oil fields.
You know, the thing about geopolitics is that the geography doesn't change...
What Potemkin speaks is the truth, that is why a lot of this whole narrative that you hear especially from nationals of ex-colonial nation and bleeding liberals these days. That European Empire have plundered them and stole their riches and glory so on, is usually a big farce an d an ego trip. As they forget the good things that the Empires have done for them.

At the same time, being kicked of your land is never fun. So some people have legitimacy to complain. But people like from India have not fucking value in that argument, as the they mostly were a drain on the British towards the end.
Frollein wrote:;) You know, the thing about geopolitics is that the geography doesn't change...

This is true also. But, I have the distinct feeling that the real 'triple alliance' that needs to be made is 'Peking-Moscow-Berlin'.
The OP was rather spartan with detail.
The exiledonline link was an interesting.

Does any body know what degree the Guarani were or are integrated into mainstream Paraguayan culture and the white settlers?
Potemkin wrote:Tell that to Soviet Russia. And to the later Roman Empire. And to.... well, you get the idea. It's a common misconception that empires merely loot their colonies. Some do; some don't. The more successful and long-standing empires usually subsidise their colonies.

[youtube]9foi342LXQE[/youtube]

I agree with your general principle, but the Monty Python sketch is utterly preposterous. What of those supposed benefits were lacking under Seleucid domination or even under the latter period of Hasmonean independence. Plus as Jewish nationalists they would surely be comparing Roman rule with the legendary civilisation of David and Solomon.

It is boring to have this discussion be about how[…]

It can be argued that Blacks have largely obtain[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]