When Scotland was Jewish - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
There is a book called 'When Scotland was Jewish'. According to this book there were several migrations of Jews from the continent to Scotland who then settled there. Apparently they kept their religion secret and remained crypto-Jews. Apparently they influenced the creation of Presbyterianism.

Normally I would discard such theories. However the book also contains DNA evidence and has linked the Y-DNA of several Scottish American men to Iberian DNA. This would suggest a Sephardic connection.

What conclusion can we draw from these findings?
The Cowan surname may not be Jewish at all, even though it sounds similar to Kohane. The Cowan family belonged to R-M269 and more than 100 million European men carry this R1b haplogroup extremely common in Western Europe. No genetic studies so far have linked R-M269 with any Jewish populations and you need to look for J1-ZS223 that comprises the Cohen Modal Haplotype to identify Jewish ancestry. The authors further listed Caldwell, Christie, and Kennedy as possible Jewish surnames, which proves that this book is largely fictional.

Readers will find some elements of this book demonstrate a commendable degree of scholarship, but even in a cursory examination the inferential evidence will be seen as very weak. The book is also plagued with poor indexing and footnotes, poor organization and poor cross referencing, making it virtually impossible to follow the authors’ lines of reasoning and arguments in a coherent way. It is not my intent to provide an exhaustive commentary on those weaknesses. My principal interest is in how they have used the Cowan surname and Cowan Family Tree DNA Project data in support of their hypothesis. I will examine closely their treatment of the historic John Cowane of Stirling as well as their association of the Cowan surname with Melungeon communities of the Appalachian regions of the United States. The use of Y-DNA from the Melungeon group combined with Y-DNA results of the Cowan surname to infer genetic origins of early Scottish population groups will also be examined.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ances ... jewish.htm
By Pongo
Political Interest wrote:However the book also contains DNA evidence and has linked the Y-DNA of several Scottish American men to Iberian DNA. This would suggest a Sephardic connection.

Celtic connection. Nothing to do with Jews. Spain has some Celtic roots too. See Tom Jones who looks quite Iberian Celtic Welsh. Britain has history to claim Israelite roots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Israelism

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Settlement program is an example of slow ethn[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]