The American Civil War, day by day - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Potemkin wrote:The Civil War has already begun, but so far is merely a war of manoeuvre. Things are getting interesting....

You’re right, and since all the installations in question are in the soon-to-be-Confederacy, for awhile the South is going to be the one racking up most of the points. Imagine what it must have been like for Lincoln, watching all this and not able to do a damn thing about it until his inauguration in March.
Doug64 wrote:You’re right, and since all the installations in question are in the soon-to-be-Confederacy, for awhile the South is going to be the one racking up most of the points. Imagine what it must have been like for Lincoln, watching all this and not able to do a damn thing about it until his inauguration in March.

Indeed, and the frustration he must have felt probably hardened his attitude - once he became President, there would be no feeble compromises or delays or prevarications, such as the ones Buchanan had been responsible for. If the South wanted war - and they clearly did - then he would give it to them, good and hard.
January 23, Wednesday

Massachusetts votes its approbation of the Federal Union, following the New York stand.
January 24, Thursday

Georgia state troops take over the U.S. Arsenal at Augusta, complete with its supply of arms.

From Fort Monroe, Virginia, Federal reinforcements sail for Fort Pickens, Florida.

The Pennsylvania legislature pledges its support of the Union.

The North Carolina legislature votes to hold a state convention, but submits the question to the people.
January 25, Friday

In Kentucky the legislature urges a national convention.
January 26, Saturday

There has been considerable change of feeling in Louisiana after the election of Lincoln and the secession of other Southern states. Now, at Baton Rouge, the Louisiana State Convention votes for an ordinance of secession 113 to 17. The sixth state has left the Union and it is probable Texas will follow. At the moment that appears to be the limit to secession, at least until further developments bring a change. New Orleans business is almost at a standstill and the talk of war increases as forts and arsenals in the state are seized. The ordinance of secession is signed with gold pens given each member, and there is the usual approval in the streets. Still, New Orleans and the coast have traded extensively with the North and it has taken radical shifts in opinion to bring the state to this decision.

At Savannah, Georgia, the Oglethorpe Barracks and Fort Jackson are appropriated by state troops.
January 28, Monday

President-elect Lincoln is preparing his inaugural address and making plans to leave Springfield, Illinois.

Louisiana state troops take possession of Fort Macomb, not far from New Orleans.
January 29, Tuesday

Kansas is admitted to the Union by Congress as the thirty-fourth state. The Wyandotte Constitution prohibits slavery and the state is largely Union in sentiment.

In New Orleans the U.S. Revenue Cutter Robert McClelland is surrendered to state authorities despite orders from Washington to defend the vessel and the flag.
January 30, Wednesday

At Mobile the U.S. Revenue Cutter Lewis Cass is surrendered to Alabama officers.

Abraham Lincoln leaves Springfield to visit his stepmother, Sarah Bush Lincoln, in Coles County, Illinois.
January 31, Thursday

The U.S. Branch Mint and Customs House at New Orleans are taken, as is the U.S. Revenue Schooner Washington.
February 1, Friday

The Convention of the State of Texas votes 166 to 7 in favor of secession. Assembling in Austin January 28, the convention expresses perhaps only part of the opinion of the citizens of that sparsely settled state, but it provides, in accordance with the legislature requirements, for an election by the people and sets it for February 23. In actual fact the seventh and last of the initial wave of states to secede has left the Union. Now it will take something further to bring about a decision in the eight other slave states.

At Springfield President-elect Lincoln privately writes William H. Seward, “I say now, however, as I have all the while said, that on the territorial question—that is, the question of extending slavery under the national auspices,—I am inflexible.” He opposes any compromise “which assists or permits the extension of the institution on soil owned by the nation.”

President Buchanan appoints Horatio King of Maine as Postmaster General to succeed Joseph Holt, who has become Secretary of War.
By this stage, the secession of the slave-owning states must have seemed like a fait accompli. After all, what was the federal government going to actually do about it, and with what...? :eh:
The “with what” is a major issue at this point, seeing that both the Army and Navy are small and scattered. Mind, the new Confederacy will be doing its part to help the Army, at least, to concentrate for some time to come. :D
February 2, Saturday

President-elect Lincoln writes that he already has his inaugural address “blocked out” but is holding it subject to revision.
February 4, Monday

“Be it remembered that on the fourth day of February, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one, and in the Capitol of the State of Alabama, in the city of Montgomery, at the hour of noon, there assembled certain deputies and delegates from the several independent Southern States of North America, to wit: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina; ...” Thus reads the official record of the convention of the seceded states that will become the first session of the Provisional Congress of the Confederate States of America. The thirty-seven delegates name Howell Cobb of Georgia President of the Convention. He tells the assemblage: “The separation is perfect, complete, and perpetual. The great duty is now imposed upon us of providing for these States a government for their future security and protection.” And they get to work rapidly with a minimum of debate and dissension.

In Washington Judah Benjamin and John Slidell, senators from Louisiana, withdraw from the US Congress to go with their state, already represented at Montgomery. The electoral vote for President as approved by Congress reads: Abraham Lincoln, 180, John C. Breckinridge 72, John Bell 39, and Stephen A. Douglas 12.

In Springfield talk and negotiations over Cabinet appointments go on as Lincoln confers with various individuals and delegations.

As the secessionists meet at Montgomery, so in Washington the Peace Convention called by Virginia convenes. There will eventually be 131 members representing 21 states. None of the seceded states are represented and many of the delegates are elderly, but among them are many national leaders including former President John Tyler, who presides. At least it is an attempt and there will be much debate by this honest, sincere, generally middle-of-the-road gathering.
February 5, Tuesday

The Buchanan administration announces to the South Carolina commissioner that under no circumstances will Fort Sumter be surrendered. In the President’s eyes this ends the unofficial truce at Charleston set up January 13.

Two conventions are meeting. At Washington John Tyler tells the Peace Convention that “the eyes of the whole country are turned to this assembly, in expectation and hope.” He calls for a triumph of patriotism over party and for rescuing the nation.

In Montgomery Alexander Stephens of Georgia presents the rules of the convention to the seceded states and they are adopted. Christopher Memminger of South Carolina presents a resolution calling for formation of “a Confederacy of the States which have seceded from the Federal Union.” A committee is named to report a plan for a provisional government.
The Buchanan administration announces to the South Carolina commissioner that under no circumstances will Fort Sumter be surrendered. In the President’s eyes this ends the unofficial truce at Charleston set up January 13.

Buchanan finally shows some backbone, when it's much too late. His earlier willingness to 'compromise' (which in reality just meant obfuscating things, to the extent that the South's representatives later actually felt misled by him) had simply encouraged the secessionists. Buchanan has finally acknowledged reality.
Its kinda cool thinking about one's ancestors getting ready to fight the war of southern independence, my ancestor was a Corporal in the 66th Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He died in battle in 1864 and is buried in Macon, Georgia.
He left a wife and several children (thus explaining my current existence). He'd probably roll in his grave knowing that his great, great, grandson would marry a yankee during WWII. It was quite the scandal in small town Louisiana, according to my grandmother.

:lol:
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Its kinda cool thinking about one's ancestors getting ready to fight the war of southern independence, my ancestor was a Corporal in the 66th Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He died in battle in 1864 and is buried in Macon, Georgia.
He left a wife and several children (thus explaining my current existence). He'd probably roll in his grave knowing that his great, great, grandson would marry a yankee during WWII. It was quite the scandal in small town Louisiana, according to my grandmother.

:lol:

My ancestors sat the war out in Utah. I can't say I'm sorry they missed going through that fratricidal hell, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but having a personal touch added to my interest in the war would have been nice.

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting: https://jackrasmus.com/2024/04/23/uk[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]