Muslim Empires - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it. Note: nostalgia *is* allowed.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Palmyrene
SolarCross wrote:That's right up to a point but the common thread is Islam. Islam is not a very good religion for a cosmopolitan attitude. Islams don't play nicely with other religions.

Amount of non-Muslim religious ethnic groups in the Islamic world = 17

Amount of non-Christian religious ethnic groups in Europe = 0

I wonder why that is? Weren't there alot of pagans, gnostics, and other interesting sects there? Why did they disappear? Hmm...
@Ter
I didn't see any of you guys in the Rohingiya and other threads. In fact, the whole of pofo is not much bothered by the fate of so many minorities in the world with the exception of the Arabs who call themselves Palestinians.

To be fair, though I'm sure many do care, most would elect not to comment on something they know very little about.

@Palmyrene
Amount of non-Muslim religious ethnic groups in the Islamic world = 17

There were far far far more.

Amount of non-Christian religious ethnic groups in Europe = 0

As mentioned, many religions exist in Europe. Also, a significant number of sects.
Though Europe is not as old as the middle east.

You forgot to put popular in quotations.

Before the Reformation, Christianity was exactly like Islam.
Primarily in that, it forced its way everywhere it.

Regarding the OP
INDIA STRIPS DISPUTED KASHMIR OF SPECIAL STATUS

That's good news, It's about time that everyone stop bothering with decades-old papers, signed by people none of whom are alive today, and start taking active steps to maintain order and stability in the region.

Anyone claiming that India wants to "persecute Muslims" is being rather idiotic, India has over 200 million Muslims and the government isn't stupid enough to spark a civil war inside the country.
However, it is about time that India starts taking hard action and end the chaos caused by the proxy war between itself and Pakistan.

On a further note, India dealing with the Kashmir issue in a decisive manner would put it in a grander path of creating a balance of powers with China in the wider Asian context; This will be a greatly beneficial, not only for India but for the entire world on the long run, including China BTW.

Either way, I'm sure @fuser will be kind to give everyone more details regarding the decision, along with any potential developments.
anasawad wrote:There were far far far more.

And the ones we have now had higher populations too.

My point isn't that Muslim empires were more tolerant but that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Pretending that Islam is uniquely intolerant while professing the superiority of Western Christianity is exactly that.

As mentioned, many religions exist in Europe. Also, a significant number of sects.
Though Europe is not as old as the middle east.

Not after Christianity. Only recently do you see many religions in Europe and most of them either aren't native or are revivalist.

Before the Reformation, Christianity was exactly like Islam.
Primarily in that, it forced its way everywhere it.

Christianity was still like that after the Reformation. Sub-Sahara Africa and the Americas called, they want their religions back.

I don't understand the fixation on the Reformation. The Reformation was a large scale civil war that tore up Europe. It wasn't some enlightenment or something.

It's comparable to the Sunni Shia conflict not some great act of progress.
@anasawad

I'm also pretty sure there's alot more than 17. The 17 I listed were Copts, Maronites, Orthodox, Assyrians, Muwahhiden, Kurds, Yazidis, Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Hindus, Chaldeans, Mandaeans, Shabakis, Feylis, Bahai, Armenians, Yarsanians, and Jews but there's probably alot more than that I don't know about.
@Palmyrene
My point isn't that Muslim empires were more tolerant but that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I know, the difference people point to is that all other religions progressed, even some sects of Islam, but it's just the Sunni sect that refuses to progress.

No offense bro, but atleast the Shia sects have Ayatollahs and Asyad who can amend the religion and even null parts of the Quran if they wish to do so, that is why as bad as some get, the overall is still closer to modernity. Sunnis, on the other hand, don't have that mechanism, there is no central authority to amend or change the religion, so it just stayed in the middle ages.

Not after Christianity. Only recently do you see many religions in Europe and most of them either aren't native or are revivalist.

Sure, but Europe as a whole is no where near as old as the middle east, so ofcourse it wont have as many starting religions; However the point still stands, Christianity spread in Europe the exact same way Islam spread in the MENA region.

Christianity was still like that after the Reformation. Sub-Sahara Africa and the Americas called, they want their religions back.

I don't understand the fixation on the Reformation. The Reformation was a large scale civil war that tore up Europe. It wasn't some enlightenment or something.

It's comparable to the Sunni Shia conflict not some great act of progress.

Actually the enlightenment came as a result of the reformation.
And the Sunni-Shia conflict did result in similar things, it's called the Asyad in the Shia sect and their class became a thing to amend the religion. Everyone is just waiting for the Sunnis to catch up and we can start putting the basis for enlightenment in the Islamic world.
The key driver of enlightenment in Europe was the people getting essentially tired of the Corruption of the clergy and their constant abuses of power. We just need to wait a little longer for that to start happening in the middle east.

Basically, when scum like the Oraifi, who goes on Tv saying you should beat a woman to teach her like one beats a cow to teach it, get dragged down the street and hanged, then you know enlightenment will soon follow in the Islamic world.

No one just decides one morning to blow themselves up, things have to be going bad for that person to be even considering it.

Actually no, I disagree.
Ideology can do that to people, irregardless of conditions.

Really? Out of all the shitty countries in the world you're singling out Pakistan. I hate all states what's your excuse? Even if you hate because Muslims breath there Saudi Arabia exists and that's arguably shittier.

eeeeeh, again, not really.
I mean, they're both ran under the same laws, the same school of thought, the same everything.
Simply Saudi Arabia has money in it, so it's somewhat tolerable for some people to go temporarily work there.
Pakistan is just Saudi Arabia without the money, infrastructure, or everything really.

Lets be real, most of the region is shit. Very few good spots.
Heck, even in Iran, it depends on which province you go to; some are progressive and great which is why you'd find most of the intellectuals and academics live in those, while others are religious shitholes where everything is oppressive.

Knowing Pakistan, it's like Qum or Bam in Iran. Extremely religious areas with religious laws applied to the letter, and clerical figures have near absolute power.
If Pakistan moved towards becoming like Semnan or Golestan where you can buy weed from stores and wear and do whatever you want as long as you don't step out of line with restrictions only made on specific places (like dress codes in the premises of religious buildings like churches, mosques, temples, or no alcohol and the likes in government facilities or universities, etc), then Pakistan can be Muslim all it wants and you can defend it as much as you like; But for now, it's a backward shithole.

Pakistan wants Kashmir because India holding Kashmir is way too close for comfort for them. It's not something as stupid as saving face. That's just blatant orientalization on your part.

So? Why should Kashmiris care about whether India or Pakistan won't allow them autonomy? They'll treat them like shit regardless so why not resist?

Kashmir is better off with India, simply because it's the lesser of several evils.

Pakistani authority in Kashmir would be shit, and Chinese authority would be even worse.
Atleast India is a federation with many autonomous republics.

1. In Islam that'll happen anyways if they're good. Most muslims are fine with waiting.

Also, regarding the 72 virgins, no, it's not in Islam.
I've studied the Quran, the Hadith, and the Maraje' to the letter, of all sects and schools of thought. And I'm sure you can go back and read my posts here to see that, or again ask around to what my previous positions were before I left Islam here.
The 72 virgins thing is a weak sourced hadith in the Hanbali school of thought and no other sect or school of thought has it, nor does it have any basis in the Quran whatsoever.
It's only common believe in areas that the Hanbali school of thought is spread in, and that's mainly the Arabian peninsula, some parts of Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and Libya (Egypt is Shafe'e), and with the Deobandis (another branch of the Hanbali school) in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and some parts of India.

Unironically, the places with the most religious extremism, proving that this school of thought is really the shittiest of them all.

Note; Before you say that I'm "obsessed with Islam", I've also studied the Avesta and Persian philosophy, mythology, and religions, along with Judaism and Orthodox and Aryan Christianity. I just have an interest in these things.
anasawad wrote:@Palmyrene
I know, the difference people point to is that all other religions progressed, even some sects of Islam, but it's just the Sunni sect that refuses to progress.

I suggest you don't take the accusations of Westerners, who couldn't point to Lebanon on a map, to heart.

And I'd like to define progress because religions don't really progress, they just take the backseat from time to time.

No offense bro, but atleast the Shia sects have Ayatollahs and Asyad who can amend the religion and even null parts of the Quran if they wish to do so, that is why as bad as some get, the overall is still closer to modernity. Sunnis, on the other hand, don't have that mechanism, there is no central authority to amend or change the religion, so it just stayed in the middle ages.

Look at this way, there is no central authority so any imam or even a regular person could come in and give their own interpretation of Islam and no one can say otherwise. People can pick and choose which scholar they listen or come up with their own ideas (my dad did for example). I don't see how this means the sect stays in the quote on quote "dark ages", the opposite actuallu

In fact, most of the time when you see these radical scholars and what not they're state sponsored or sponsored by someone usually the Saudis. It indicates alot more about the current situation than anything political.

Sure, but Europe as a whole is no where near as old as the middle east, so ofcourse it wont have as many starting religions; However the point still stands, Christianity spread in Europe the exact same way Islam spread in the MENA region.

Well no, not really. It's completely different. Christianity was integrated into the state apparatus of the Roman Empire. When the Roman Empire split into two, the churches did as well leading to the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. Then the Reformation happened in Western Europe which was basically just a gigantic civil war and then Protestants were born.

Actually the enlightenment came as a result of the reformation.

That makes no sense. Just because Britain was Protestant at the time doesn't mean the Enlightenment was caused by the Reformation.

And the Sunni-Shia conflict did result in similar things, it's called the Asyad in the Shia sect and their class became a thing to amend the religion. Everyone is just waiting for the Sunnis to catch up and we can start putting the basis for enlightenment in the Islamic world.

I'm not going to trust the claims of any religious sect. The Sunni-Shia conflict started out as a succession crisis not some great attempt on part of the Shias "to bring enlightenment". Both sects acted like a bunch of jackasses imo.

The key driver of enlightenment in Europe was the people getting essentially tired of the Corruption of the clergy and their constant abuses of power. We just need to wait a little longer for that to start happening in the middle east.

That's happened several times though in the Islamic world. What did you think the Mutazila were or the Sufis?

Basically, when scum like the Oraifi, who goes on Tv saying you should beat a woman to teach her like one beats a cow to teach it, get dragged down the street and hanged, then you know enlightenment will soon follow in the Islamic world.

If that's what you call enlightenment (i.e. the murder of state sanctioned/sponsered clerics) then I have an ideology for you. What you need is anarchism.

Actually no, I disagree.
Ideology can do that to people, irregardless of conditions.

No it can't. No one is going to blow themselves up if they're content with life.

eeeeeh, again, not really.
I mean, they're both ran under the same laws, the same school of thought, the same everything.
Simply Saudi Arabia has money in it, so it's somewhat tolerable for some people to go temporarily work there.
Pakistan is just Saudi Arabia without the money, infrastructure, or everything really.

I don't really see that. I've went to a private school in my time in the US full of Pakistanis and they tend to be pretty liberal.

I think it's better not to generalize. There are good parts and bad parts in all countries. One of my Pakistani teachers was super into Pakistani politics and this dude called Khan was like going be the president and she talked about how liberal he was and everything. So they got good stuff.

The situation is different too. Pakistan has been under several military coups and only recently had actually democracy.

Lets be real, most of the region is shit. Very few good spots.
Heck, even in Iran, it depends on which province you go to; some are progressive and great which is why you'd find most of the intellectuals and academics live in those, while others are religious shitholes where everything is oppressive.

Knowing Pakistan, it's like Qum or Bam in Iran. Extremely religious areas with religious laws applied to the letter, and clerical figures have near absolute power.
If Pakistan moved towards becoming like Semnan or Golestan where you can buy weed from stores and wear and do whatever you want as long as you don't step out of line with restrictions only made on specific places (like dress codes in the premises of religious buildings like churches, mosques, temples, or no alcohol and the likes in government facilities or universities, etc), then Pakistan can be Muslim all it wants and you can defend it as much as you like; But for now, it's a backward shithole.

To play devil's advocate, the same stuff in Iran can be attributed to Pakistan. Some good parts, mostly bad.

Kashmir is better off with India, simply because it's the lesser of several evils.

Kashmiris are going to be treated shit regardless.

Pakistani authority in Kashmir would be shit, and Chinese authority would be even worse.
Atleast India is a federation with many autonomous republics.

If you seriously think that India would give them autonomy that they don't even give to other provinces, you're very naive.

Also, regarding the 72 virgins, no, it's not in Islam.
I've studied the Quran, the Hadith, and the Maraje' to the letter, of all sects and schools of thought. And I'm sure you can go back and read my posts here to see that, or again ask around to what my previous positions were before I left Islam here.
The 72 virgins thing is a weak sourced hadith in the Hanbali school of thought and no other sect or school of thought has it, nor does it have any basis in the Quran whatsoever.
It's only common believe in areas that the Hanbali school of thought is spread in, and that's mainly the Arabian peninsula, some parts of Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and Libya (Egypt is Shafe'e), and with the Deobandis (another branch of the Hanbali school) in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and some parts of India.

Unironically, the places with the most religious extremism, proving that this school of thought is really the shittiest of them all.

Alright first off don't bring Syria into this. Secondly, it's due to Saudi and foreign sponsorship.

Note; Before you say that I'm "obsessed with Islam", I've also studied the Avesta and Persian philosophy, mythology, and religions, along with Judaism and Orthodox and Aryan Christianity. I just have an interest in these things.

I wasn't. I feel like you just wrote specifically so you could brag about all the stuff you studied because there's no where else for you to put it.
I suggest you don't take the accusations of Westerners, who couldn't point to Lebanon on a map, to heart.

ha ?

And I'd like to define progress because religions don't really progress, they just take the backseat from time to time.

They do progress, my wife is Christian and I know what her religion is all about.
Christianity now is no where near the same as it was even a couple of 100s of years ago, most of the bad stuff was literally nulled by the church.

Look at this way, there is no central authority so any imam or even a regular person could come in and give their own interpretation of Islam and no one can say otherwise. People can pick and choose which scholar they listen or come up with their own ideas (my dad did for example). I don't see how this means the sect stays in the quote on quote "dark ages", the opposite actuallu

In fact, most of the time when you see these radical scholars and what not they're state sponsored or sponsored by someone usually the Saudis. It indicates alot more about the current situation than anything political.

Actually people can say otherwise, they'll call hem a heretic and if he was lucky, he'll be beaten up a little or shunned off.
Let me remind you, I've lived among conservative Sunnis for several years, I'm not a stranger to them.

A Sayed or an Ayatollah can nullify part of the Quran and it will be official.
Khamenei, who's essentially like the pope, literally did that several times.

Well no, not really. It's completely different. Christianity was integrated into the state apparatus of the Roman Empire. When the Roman Empire split into two, the churches did as well leading to the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. Then the Reformation happened in Western Europe which was basically just a gigantic civil war and then Protestants were born.

And how does that in anyway contradict that Christianity and Islam spread in the same way?

That makes no sense. Just because Britain was Protestant at the time doesn't mean the Enlightenment was caused by the Reformation.

Enlightenment wasn't limited to Britain. It happened all through the Christian world, and the reformation did lay the ground work for the age of enlightenment.
The philosophical development of the reformation lay at the very basis of modern philosophy and ethics.

That's happened several times though in the Islamic world. What did you think the Mutazila were or the Sufis?

The Mu'tazila weren't after reforming the religion, nor are the Sufis.

If that's what you call enlightenment (i.e. the murder of state sanctioned/sponsered clerics) then I have an ideology for you. What you need is anarchism.

You didn't get the metaphor.
I ment that only when the people are willing to throw away the religious establishment and isolate it completely from life and community, then and only then the Islamic world can have its own enlightenment age.

No it can't. No one is going to blow themselves up if they're content with life.

Middle class people from Europe went and joined ISIS and blew themselves up.
Middle and upper class Saudis joined Al-qaeda and faught.
Heck, the entire Islamic history is filled with people who were well off and sacraficed everything due to blind faith and conviction.
Japanese fighters in WW2. etc

Ideology can blind people.

I don't really see that. I've went to a private school in my time in the US full of Pakistanis and they tend to be pretty liberal.

I think it's better not to generalize. There are good parts and bad parts in all countries. One of my Pakistani teachers was super into Pakistani politics and this dude called Khan was like going be the president and she talked about how liberal he was and everything. So they got good stuff.

The situation is different too. Pakistan has been under several military coups and only recently had actually democracy.

Which good parts?
Pakistan isn't a federal system where each area has its own laws, they all follow the same law, and that law is shit.
And it is a poor and unstable country.

Some Pakistanis living in the west being Liberal does in no way mean that Pakistan is liberal. Heck, just look at their news and what they were doing just recently. (I'm not gonna name the case, to see if you recognized it :lol: )

To play devil's advocate, the same stuff in Iran can be attributed to Pakistan. Some good parts, mostly bad.

Naah, not really.
There isn't a place in Pakistan where you can have these liberties or anything.
Iran is split between people who are socially conservative and socially liberal, Pakistan is just running under a single block.

If you seriously think that India would give them autonomy that they don't even give to other provinces, you're very naive.

The level of autonomy they give to other provinces would be more than fine.

Alright first off don't bring Syria into this. Secondly, it's due to Saudi and foreign sponsorship.

Syria is a mixture of Hanbali and Shafe'e schools of thought, even before Saudi Arabia existed.

I wasn't. I feel like you just wrote specifically so you could brag about all the stuff you studied because there's no where else for you to put it.

Not really, you just constantly do that so I figured I counter it from the start.

I'm not going to trust the claims of any religious sect. The Sunni-Shia conflict started out as a succession crisis not some great attempt on part of the Shias "to bring enlightenment". Both sects acted like a bunch of jackasses imo.

Do you know what the word "Shi'a" means? It really is relevant here.

As a hint, most of the Shia schools of thoughts found today take their ideological, religious, and structural foundations to Ismail the first, not to the time of the prophet.
anasawad wrote:ha ?

? I don't understand this.

They do progress, my wife is Christian and I know what her religion is all about.
Christianity now is no where near the same as it was even a couple of 100s of years ago, most of the bad stuff was literally nulled by the church.

You misunderstand. You need to define exactly what "progress" is and what "most of the bad stuff" is. From what I can tell most Christians don't really follow a majority of their scripture.

While I don't know the intricacies of the New and Old Testament debacle, I do know that Christianity has dietary laws (for example, Christians are forbidden from eating crustaceans) that no Christians follow today.

If you're definition of progress is how much religious people adhere to their religions (the less, the more "progressive") then Muslims overall would be just as progressive than Christians are now since most Muslims don't follow their religions to a tee.

Actually people can say otherwise, they'll call hem a heretic and if he was lucky, he'll be beaten up a little or shunned off.

That has very little to do with the actual workings of Sunnis and more to do with culture. Having a central authority say that people can say whatever they want won't actually stop this behavior especially given that a variety of scholars already condemn it.

Let me remind you, I've lived among conservative Sunnis for several years, I'm not a stranger to them.

And I've lived with Sunnis my whole life. There's lots of diversity there.

A Sayed or an Ayatollah can nullify part of the Quran and it will be official.
Khamenei, who's essentially like the pope, literally did that several times.

This can be a good thing or a bad thing. If a Sayyid decides that homosexuality should be outlawed or that everyone should give their women to the Sayyid then Shias would have to agree. Meanwhile for Sunnis they can just tell him to fuck off.

I'm not saying that Sunnis are superior to Shias for that reason, just that there are benefits to both approaches.

And how does that in anyway contradict that Christianity and Islam spread in the same way?

Islam spread initial by conquest while Christianity was absorbed by other empires as a state religion.

Enlightenment wasn't limited to Britain. It happened all through the Christian world, and the reformation did lay the ground work for the age of enlightenment.

It didn't. In fact, the core of the Enlightenment (to the extent that Paris, the intellectual center of the Enlightenment was called "the city of lights") happened in Catholic France.

The philosophical development of the reformation lay at the very basis of modern philosophy and ethics.

No it wasn't. Modern philosophy as we know derives most of it's origins from the philosophers of the 19th century who deconstructioned enlightenment ideals in the face of the industrial revolution.

Enlightenment philosophy was based on the scientific revolution which began regardless of the Reformation or Protestants.

The Mu'tazila weren't after reforming the religion, nor are the Sufis.

The Mu'tazila started as a reaction to the conservative and reactionary forces of the Umayyad Caliphate which justified it's atrocities as "pre-destination from God". The Mu'tazila fought against this notion by stating that humans had free will. The ideas of the Mu'tazila culminated into the Abbasid Revolution.

You didn't get the metaphor.
I ment that only when the people are willing to throw away the religious establishment and isolate it completely from life and community, then and only then the Islamic world can have its own enlightenment age.

I don't think that's what you'd call a metaphor.

Even during the enlightenment people didn't isolate the clergy and religion from life. Widespread atheism in Europe is a very recent thing and during the Enlightenment religion was still a big part of public life.

Middle class people from Europe went and joined ISIS and blew themselves up.
Middle and upper class Saudis joined Al-qaeda and faught.

Yeah and you know the common thread in all of these people? They're all depressed, unemployed, or unsatisfied with life. When they did interviews with the parents of these middle classmen, the parents all discussed how they were shut-ins, had very little friends, weren't in a relationship, etc.

Heck, the entire Islamic history is filled with people who were well off and sacraficed everything due to blind faith and conviction.
Japanese fighters in WW2. etc

I never knew Japanese people were Muslim.

Ideology can blind people.

Ideology only blinds people who have nothing to lose.

Which good parts?

Probably the northern or coastal cities. They tend to be pretty liberal. Most of the liberal Islamic news/journals seem to be based around there.

Pakistan isn't a federal system where each area has its own laws, they all follow the same law, and that law is shit.
And it is a poor and unstable country.

Yeah no. The poor unstable part may be true but the law part isn't. Most of Pakistan doesn't enforce the law like the law against honor killings.

Some Pakistanis living in the west being Liberal does in no way mean that Pakistan is liberal. Heck, just look at their news and what they were doing just recently. (I'm not gonna name the case, to see if you recognized it :lol: )

They all visit Pakistan. The teacher I was talking about was going back into Pakistan to get into politics (she's going to be a part of the education board or something due to some connections she has).

I don't read Pakistani news. I googled Pakistani news and just Kashmir stuff.

Naah, not really.
There isn't a place in Pakistan where you can have these liberties or anything.

How would you know?

Iran is split between people who are socially conservative and socially liberal, Pakistan is just running under a single block.

We both know that's not true.

The level of autonomy they give to other provinces would be more than fine.

The don't give autonomy to all their provinces. Especially ones that are very valuable or may cause trouble.

You just have to look at the Naxals for proof.

Syria is a mixture of Hanbali and Shafe'e schools of thought, even before Saudi Arabia existed.

I know that's not true for a fact.

Not really, you just constantly do that so I figured I counter it from the start.

I've never done that. I hate people who say that kind of shit.

Do you know what the word "Shi'a" means? It really is relevant here.

It means "adherents" specifically "adherents to Ali". This is because the original Shias simply supported Ali's ascension to Caliph. All the other aspects of Shia thought was the result of their history of persecution and Persian influence.

As a hint, most of the Shia schools of thoughts found today take their ideological, religious, and structural foundations to Ismail the first, not to the time of the prophet.

Yeah I know but that doesn't change the fact the Sunni Shia conflict started as a succession crisis.
@Palmyrene
? I don't understand this.

As in, what does westerners' opinion of Lebanon have to do with the discussion we're having?

You misunderstand. You need to define exactly what "progress" is and what "most of the bad stuff" is. From what I can tell most Christians don't really follow a majority of their scripture.

While I don't know the intricacies of the New and Old Testament debacle, I do know that Christianity has dietary laws (for example, Christians are forbidden from eating crustaceans) that no Christians follow today.

If you're definition of progress is how much religious people adhere to their religions (the less, the more "progressive") then Muslims overall would be just as progressive than Christians are now since most Muslims don't follow their religions to a tee.

The extent to which a religion or a set of beliefs is in line with enlightenment principles.
Christians don't "follow their scripture" not because they don't want it, but because the church nullified most of it.

Even if many Muslims don't follow their scripture, the scripture and the interpretation of it is still based on the same rules and principles as it was a 1000 years ago, because no religious authority in the Sunni sect has the ability to nullify any parts of it.
That is why we see so many extremists groups using the Quran as their direct inspiration; It is, in their eyes, the direct word of god that can not be changed and must all be taken into consideration.

The Shia sect is different from the Sunni sect because it has the theological foundation of the Imams who continue to "update" the religion.
For example, though many Sunnis do have sex outside of marriage, in a religious state or in areas controlled by religious groups, "zena" will be punishable by death.
However, if we look at the Shia sect, Shia sects for the past 400 years have decreed the "Mota'a" is legit and can be done even in private, meaning a couple can have sex regularly and they can simply write a peace of paper and both sign it as a legitimization of it as a temporary non-binding marriage.
It might sound trivial, but that's a huuggee difference when it comes to a comparison between the religious laws of either branches.

That has very little to do with the actual workings of Sunnis and more to do with culture. Having a central authority say that people can say whatever they want won't actually stop this behavior especially given that a variety of scholars already condemn it.

It has alot to do with the inner working of the Sunni religious authority, and culture is shaped by these authorities as it stands at the moment in Sunni communities.

This behavior derives its legitimacy from the authority, and often driven by it, not from culture.

And I've lived with Sunnis my whole life. There's lots of diversity there.

Diversity among the individuals doesn't mean diversity in the school of thought.
When religious laws are applied, all will be bound by the exact same religious law that's been applied on and off for centuries.

This can be a good thing or a bad thing. If a Sayyid decides that homosexuality should be outlawed or that everyone should give their women to the Sayyid then Shias would have to agree. Meanwhile for Sunnis they can just tell him to fuck off.

They make these laws based on what the standard social and moral expectations of the people, not based on whims.

I'm not saying that Sunnis are superior to Shias for that reason, just that there are benefits to both approaches.

One opens the room for progress, the other cause stagnation.

Islam spread initial by conquest while Christianity was absorbed by other empires as a state religion.

Two questions;
How was it enforced in the empire?
And how did it spread to the rest of Europe?

It didn't. In fact, the core of the Enlightenment (to the extent that Paris, the intellectual center of the Enlightenment was called "the city of lights") happened in Catholic France.

Read up on modern philosophy and the reformation.

No it wasn't. Modern philosophy as we know derives most of it's origins from the philosophers of the 19th century who deconstructioned enlightenment ideals in the face of the industrial revolution.

Enlightenment philosophy was based on the scientific revolution which began regardless of the Reformation or Protestants.

What you're referring to is post-modern philosophy, not modern philosophy.
Also, the scientific revolution only began because the Church no longer had the authority to rule science as blasphemy and condemn scientists to death.

The Mu'tazila started as a reaction to the conservative and reactionary forces of the Umayyad Caliphate which justified it's atrocities as "pre-destination from God". The Mu'tazila fought against this notion by stating that humans had free will. The ideas of the Mu'tazila culminated into the Abbasid Revolution.

The Mu'tazila ignored religion entirely and focused on logic and reason.

Even during the enlightenment people didn't isolate the clergy and religion from life. Widespread atheism in Europe is a very recent thing and during the Enlightenment religion was still a big part of public life.

The enlightenment age is when the Church lost its authority and influence both on the individual and collective levels.

Yeah and you know the common thread in all of these people? They're all depressed, unemployed, or unsatisfied with life. When they did interviews with the parents of these middle classmen, the parents all discussed how they were shut-ins, had very little friends, weren't in a relationship, etc.

:lol:
No they didn't. We've discussed dozens of cases here on this forum, and almost all of them were people who were living very well, had a good life, went to bars and clubs and did all sort of things.
Then they were radicalized at some point.

I never knew Japanese people were Muslim.

Kamikaze pilots.
I didn't say they were Muslims, If I did, I wouldn't put it in a new line as a separate point.

Ideology only blinds people who have nothing to lose.

Ideology blinds anyone who buys into it.

Probably the northern or coastal cities. They tend to be pretty liberal. Most of the liberal Islamic news/journals seem to be based around there.

Those are either Balochi or Tribal parts. Also where most of the insurgencies take place.

Yeah no. The poor unstable part may be true but the law part isn't. Most of Pakistan doesn't enforce the law like the law against honor killings.

Pakistan just recently had 2 major news about blasphemy cases.

They all visit Pakistan. The teacher I was talking about was going back into Pakistan to get into politics (she's going to be a part of the education board or something due to some connections she has).

I don't read Pakistani news. I googled Pakistani news and just Kashmir stuff.

Then read about their blasphemy laws, and then come back to tell everyone how "Liberal" Pakistan is.

How would you know?

Because Pakistan isn't a federation, it's a nation with a single main source of laws.
And the laws don't have these liberties.

We both know that's not true.

I know its true, you don't.

Iran is a federation, with each province having its own government and laws, just like the US actually.
How else would Iran allow sex reassignment surgeries? And why are the laws applied in the Ahvaz for example different from the ones applied in Golestan?
Pakistan is not.

The don't give autonomy to all their provinces. Especially ones that are very valuable or may cause trouble.

You just have to look at the Naxals for proof.

Not all their provinces, but some do have autonomy. And that's a much better prospect than under Pakistani constitutional structure.

I know that's not true for a fact.

It is, look it up.
These two schools have been there for the past several centuries.
Infact, the Hanbali school of thought had much of its thought leaders from Syria.

It means "adherents" specifically "adherents to Ali". This is because the original Shias simply supported Ali's ascension to Caliph. All the other aspects of Shia thought was the result of their history of persecution and Persian influence.

No it doesn't.
Shi'at Ali means followers of Ali.
Shi'a means divisions. That's why the Quran for example says Shi'at Allah and Shi'at Nabyollah.
(you can use an Arabic dictionary for it)

Yeah I know but that doesn't change the fact the Sunni Shia conflict started as a succession crisis.

The sects back then are not the same one existing now, mostly atleast.

The only remaining faction of those early Shias are the Zaidis in Yemen, which is why they're the closest to the Sunnis of all and recognized by both major branches.
As in, what does westerners' opinion of Lebanon have to do with the discussion we're having?

You said a common criticism people have of the Muslim world is that "Islam hasn't had a reformation". The only people who make such criticisms and the ones who made it in the first place are Westerners.

The extent to which a religion or a set of beliefs is in line with enlightenment principles.

What are enlightenment principles anyways?

Christians don't "follow their scripture" not because they don't want it, but because the church nullified most of it.

Not really. This only applies to Catholics not Protestants (who are more like Sunnis and far less conservative). And given that you're saying the Protestant Reformation lead to all of this, something doesn't add up.

Even if many Muslims don't follow their scripture, the scripture and the interpretation of it is still based on the same rules and principles as it was a 1000 years ago, because no religious authority in the Sunni sect has the ability to nullify any parts of it.

Sure they can. It depends on the individual scholar or even what you personally think.

Having the freedom to believe in whatever you want is very huge strength that Sunnis have and can potentially be a powerful form of progressivism comparable to that of the Great Awakening in America which saw the development of a variety of religious ideas.

There's a reason why being Sufi is easier as a Sunni than as a Shia.

That is why we see so many extremists groups using the Quran as their direct inspiration; It is, in their eyes, the direct word of god that can not be changed and must all be taken into consideration.

Yeah no. That's only very specific scholars supporting this. Salafism isn't Sunnism.

No major Sunni schools of thought such as the Hanafis goes that far.

And the reason why we see so many extremist scholars is due to Saudi funding.

The Shia sect is different from the Sunni sect because it has the theological foundation of the Imams who continue to "update" the religion.
For example, though many Sunnis do have sex outside of marriage, in a religious state or in areas controlled by religious groups, "zena" will be punishable by death.

Specify these religious groups and states because that is fundamentally different from Sunni theology.

However, if we look at the Shia sect, Shia sects for the past 400 years have decreed the "Mota'a" is legit and can be done even in private, meaning a couple can have sex regularly and they can simply write a peace of paper and both sign it as a legitimization of it as a temporary non-binding marriage.
It might sound trivial, but that's a huuggee difference when it comes to a comparison between the religious laws of either branches.

1. Muta'a was never intended as a form of progressivism or attempt to bring Islam to enlightenment or something.

2. Muta'a is based on a particular interpretation of Islam and thus you can find a Sunni scholar who supports it. There already have been Sunni scholars who do and Sunni communities that practice.

Sunnism is far more flexible than you give it credit for specifically because there is no central authority.

It has alot to do with the inner working of the Sunni religious authority, and culture is shaped by these authorities as it stands at the moment in Sunni communities.

There is no such thing as a central Sunni religious authority and there is great diversity amongst scholars on a variety of topics.

Culture may be influenced by authorities but it does not dictate it.

This behavior derives its legitimacy from the authority, and often driven by it, not from culture.

Then it's better to remove authority in general so that they no longer have such legitimacy. Quranism exists and that is thoroughly derived from Sunni thought.

[Quotr]
Diversity among the individuals doesn't mean diversity in the school of thought.[/quote]

It literally does. There isn't really one school of thought amongst Sunnis no matter how much Saudi Arabia tries to claim there is. If people of the same sect think completely differently about certain issuea then you have diversity.

When religious laws are applied, all will be bound by the exact same religious law that's been applied on and off for centuries.

The issue is that religious laws aren't always applied and when they are it usually is applied by people in positions of power. This is the same argument I make to my Sunni relatives about why anarchism is a good idea because hierarchy gets in the way of people making their own beliefs and following their own path.

They make these laws based on what the standard social and moral expectations of the people, not based on whims.

Sayyids are in positions of authority and will make laws that allows them to maintain their positions and their control over the population. They don't need to make laws based on the social and moral expectations of the population because the population must obey them, not the other way around.

In Sunnism, scholars are chosen based on popularity. If people thinl a certain scholar fits with their ideology then they will choose them. You don't even need to choose a scholar.

Sunnism is kind of like a market. The producers (i.e. the scholars) adjust their products (i.e. fitahs) based on what the consumers want (i.e. Sunnis). Thus, in actuality, it's Sunni scholars who make laws based on the moral and social expectations of the people.

It's just that the state meddles in the market to influence it. If there was no state, loads of innovative ideas would arise.

One opens the room for progress, the other cause stagnation.

I guess Sunnis open the door for progress then.

You're criticisms of Sunnis fall flat due to how you come to conclusions that don't make sense in the context of the information you've given.

Two questions;
How was it enforced in the empire?
And how did it spread to the rest of Europe?

It wasn't really enforced since it was popular anyways in Rome at least amongst the lower classes but it did spread to the rest of Europe via force.

Read up on modern philosophy and the reformation.

I have.

People have way too high expectations for the Reformation. After actually reading about the Reformation, it's nothing like tje stereotypes suggest. If anything this myth that the Reformation was an enlightenment is just Protestant hogwash.

What you're referring to is post-modern philosophy, not modern philosophy.

Post modern philosophy was 20th-21st centuries not the 19th century. Nietzsche, Marx, Hegel, and other philosophers criticized and built upon prior philosophers and created new philosophies for the "modern" era of industry which is why they're called "modern" philosophers.

Also, the scientific revolution only began because the Church no longer had the authority to rule science as blasphemy and condemn scientists to death.

That kind of stuff is overblown. The Catholic Church didn't do that stuff often, in fact, it was the center of learning in Europe and was where scholaticism was created. The Reformation moved Europe backwards not forwards. A Reformation-less Europe would've progressed much faster than OTL.

The Mu'tazila ignored religion entirely and focused on logic and reason.

No they didn't. They thought you could discover God through the natural world and empiricism and led to the modern developments of existentialism in Islamic philosophy like Ibn Arabi and Mullah Sadra.

The enlightenment age is when the Church lost its authority and influence both on the individual and collective levels.

That's not true at all. In the same era the Anglican Church persecuted Puritans leading them to establish colonies in the Americas (in fact, America is where Britain sent religious sects they didn't like to), the Spaniards were committing the largest genocide in history in the name of God, Germany was in the middle of a 100 year war over religion, and Napoleon has just been crowned Emperor and ruler of the Catholic Church of France.

Secularism never became a thing until much, much later.

No they didn't. We've discussed dozens of cases here on this forum, and almost all of them were people who were living very well, had a good life, went to bars and clubs and did all sort of things.

Oh really? The nightclub shooter was a closet homosexual with anger issues and sociopathic tendencies if that's who you're referring to.

Then they were radicalized at some point.

Those who are the most susceptible to radicalization are the disenfranchised.

Kamikaze pilots.
I didn't say they were Muslims, If I did, I wouldn't put it in a new line as a separate point.

Oh since they looked like they were a part of the paragraph I didn't see it.

Those are either Balochi or Tribal parts. Also where most of the insurgencies take place.

Pardon?

Pakistan just recently had 2 major news about blasphemy cases.

Are you referring to the Christian one because that's old news.

Then read about their blasphemy laws, and then come back to tell everyone how "Liberal" Pakistan is.

Never said the government was liberal. I said some people are liberal.

Because Pakistan isn't a federation, it's a nation with a single main source of laws.
And the laws don't have these liberties.

Law isn't enforced sometimes especially in Pakistan.

I know its true, you don't.

It isn't. Most of the people in Syria are either Hanafi or Shafi.

Iran is a federation, with each province having its own government and laws, just like the US actually.
How else would Iran allow sex reassignment surgeries? And why are the laws applied in the Ahvaz for example different from the ones applied in Golestan?
Pakistan is not.

Do you even know how laws are enforced? If law enforcement doesn't enforce the law, then there's nothing that law can do. The same thing happens in Pakistan.

Not all their provinces, but some do have autonomy. And that's a much better prospect than under Pakistani constitutional structure.

India won't give it autonomy. Kashmir is not like other provinces. If you seriously think Kashmir won't be under a "special provisional government" or something then you're lying to yourself.

It is, look it up.
These two schools have been there for the past several centuries.
Infact, the Hanbali school of thought had much of its thought leaders from Syria.

That doesn't mean most Syrians are Hanbali.

No it doesn't.
Shi'at Ali means followers of Ali.
Shi'a means divisions. That's why the Quran for example says Shi'at Allah and Shi'at Nabyollah.
(you can use an Arabic dictionary for it)

I don't need an Arabic dictionary.

The sects back then are not the same one existing now, mostly atleast.

Your claim was that the Sunni-Shia conflict was like the Reformation or Enlightenment. It wasn't because the initial conflict was a succession crisis.

The only remaining faction of those early Shias are the Zaidis in Yemen, which is why they're the closest to the Sunnis of all and recognized by both major branches.

That's not relevant.
@Palmyrene
You said a common criticism people have of the Muslim world is that "Islam hasn't had a reformation". The only people who make such criticisms and the ones who made it in the first place are Westerners.

Doesn't mean it's not true.
I'm not a westerners and even I think Islam hasn't yet had its reformation or enlightenment.
A fact is a fact, irregardless of who says it.

What are enlightenment principles anyways?

Everything from personal liberty, individualism, separation of powers, equality, constitutionalism, etc are principle ideas of the enlightenment.

Not really. This only applies to Catholics not Protestants (who are more like Sunnis and far less conservative). And given that you're saying the Protestant Reformation lead to all of this, something doesn't add up.

The reformation didn't just lead to the protestants coming to be, it led to the overhaul of the entire Catholic and Orthodox churches as well.

Sure they can. It depends on the individual scholar or even what you personally think.

That would be by definition heresy and blasphemy in accordance with the Quran.
And in the Sunni sect, the Quran is the direct word of god, unchanging.
For most Shia sects, the Quran can be updated by the Imams.

Having the freedom to believe in whatever you want is very huge strength that Sunnis have and can potentially be a powerful form of progressivism comparable to that of the Great Awakening in America which saw the development of a variety of religious ideas.

:lol: :lol:
Freedom to think whatever you want?
Sunnis who have the "freedom to think whatever they want" aren't free to do that because their religion allows it, but because there is no one to enforce the religion.
In Sunni Islam, all rules must be based on the Quran first, then the Haddith, then Ijma' and Qiyas which both require direct basis from the Quran or Hadith.

There's a reason why being Sufi is easier as a Sunni than as a Shia.

Sufis are their own sect. If you became a Sufi, you're no longer Sunni or Shia.

Yeah no. That's only very specific scholars supporting this. Salafism isn't Sunnism.

Salafis are Sunni conservatives, by the very definition of the word, Al-Salaf Al-Saleh.

No major Sunni schools of thought such as the Hanafis goes that far.

They all go that far, with the Hanbalis being the most extreme of them.
Simply the Hanbalis are ones most spread in the region now (in terms of power and resources), while the others are toothless since no major power is supporting or holding their views.
Again, the whole idea of Salafism is to go back to the time these schools of thought were at their most power and influence, i.e Al-Salaf Al-Saleh.

And the reason why we see so many extremist scholars is due to Saudi funding.

And the Saudis are simply supporting an ideology.
If they were just dumping money on whomever, then why don't we see fanatic socialists and communists and fascists and republicans running around?

Specify these religious groups and states because that is fundamentally different from Sunni theology.

Fundamentally different from Sunni theology? :eek:
Have you ever read the Quran dude?

The states that don't have those are the ones that aren't applying Sunni religious laws.
You can easily go back to when Hai'at Al-amer bel Ma'rouf wl nahi 'n al monkar and their likes were spread all over the gulf states, Afghanistan, Malaysia, Sudan, etc. And pretty much all the radical Sunni groups that managed to took control of areas.

1. Muta'a was never intended as a form of progressivism or attempt to bring Islam to enlightenment or something.

No religious reform is ever intended as a form of progressivism. It is intended to match the current morality and social expectations of the populace.

2. Muta'a is based on a particular interpretation of Islam and thus you can find a Sunni scholar who supports it. There already have been Sunni scholars who do and Sunni communities that practice.

Actually no, the prophet himself banned it which is why Sunnis do not have it.
And it's not an interpretation, he literally specified it by word and banned it.
Shias have it because the Sayyed or Ayatollah can, under certain circumstances or requirements, nullify the word of the prophet and even verses of the Quran.
Sunni Islam don't have that, and as such Sunni Islam is stuck with those rules.

Sunnism is far more flexible than you give it credit for specifically because there is no central authority.

It's not.
It has no central authority because the Quran is the all-encompassing authority in it.
I feel I must repeat this, Sunnis believe that the Quran is the word of god that can not be changed and is the undeniable truth.
That is why the Hadith is secondary and explanatory to the Quran, and Qiyas and Ijma' (the only two methods of creating new rules in Sunni Islam) must always be based on the Quran and the Hadith.
Sunni clerics can not just go around making rules on their own, they either do Qiyas under very specific rules, or they base on Ijma' which is basically the collective of all Sunni clerics to agree on something, also based on the Quran and can not be contradictory to either the Quran, nor the Hadith.

Basics.

There is no such thing as a central Sunni religious authority and there is great diversity amongst scholars on a variety of topics.

There are however religious authorities in the Sunni world, who would've thought. :lol:

Scholars in the Sunni world occasionally disagree on the Foro' (فروع), not on the Osol (اصول).
The Osol are specified in the Quran and the hadith and unchanging, because, to put it simply, god said it there for it can not change.
For example, anal sex is strictly forbidden in the Quran. It's an unchanging rule that God himself has ordained and all must under all circumstances abide by it. (it's considered a major sin in Sunni Islam, Kaba'r)
This is called Asel (أصل), singular for Osol. An Asel can not be changed.
Scholars disagree on the Foro', in this case for example, whether having anal sex with your wife nullify your marriage (this a real debate that exists between scholars), and if it does nullify your marriage, then does any sexual interaction after it counts as adultery.
The disagreement is based on the ban in the Quran and the hadith the says that anyone who enters his wife from her anus is cursed by god, and in Islam a curse by god means that one is expelled from god's mercy. So if he's cursed by god, does this mean that he no longer counts as a Muslim (since that's what cursed means)? Because if he no longer is a Muslim and his wife is a Muslim, then their marriage breaks another rule which is that a Muslim woman is forbidden to marry someone who is not a Muslim, which means their marriage is nullified as it became illegitimate.

See, this is an example of what disagreements there are between Sunni scholars.
The Osol are unchanging, just the Foro''s interpretations. The Osol can not be interpreted by the way, they're stated clearly in the Quran and not open for interpretation, just the Foro' are open for interpretation.

Culture may be influenced by authorities but it does not dictate it.

Not if those are religious or ideological authorities.

It literally does. There isn't really one school of thought amongst Sunnis no matter how much Saudi Arabia tries to claim there is. If people of the same sect think completely differently about certain issuea then you have diversity.

You have just one Quran and one Hadith(plural) in Sunni Islam.

The issue is that religious laws aren't always applied and when they are it usually is applied by people in positions of power.

And the people in power apply the law that already exists in the Quran and the Hadith, they don't make it up as they go along.

This is the same argument I make to my Sunni relatives about why anarchism is a good idea because hierarchy gets in the way of people making their own beliefs and following their own path.

To have anarchism in Islamic communities, you have to abolish Islam, since it's directly opposed to it on a fundamental level.

Islam, at its core, is about the unquestionable authority of God and the submission to that authority. Religious figures are only there to enforce the word of god, not to make their own rules.

Sayyids are in positions of authority and will make laws that allows them to maintain their positions and their control over the population.

They're not and they don't.
A Sayyed can not be a king, nor can hold any position of political authority.
And I mean that literally, there are rules for it.
Khamenei for example isn't a political leader nor an administrative figure, he's the spiritual leader.
The political and administrative authorities are distributed in the rest of the government.

They don't need to make laws based on the social and moral expectations of the population because the population must obey them, not the other way around.

A Sayyed only becomes one because he has social support, it's the Shora principle.
If they try to oppress society, they can easily be replaced as is the case with many who were.
There is a reason why you don't see a Sayyed taking position of political authority, and there is a reason why even the most powerful Ayatollahs (an Ayatollah is the equivalant of a saint in Shia Islam, and is a high ranking Sayyed) have to routinely make concessions to the population.

In Sunnism, scholars are chosen based on popularity.

No they're not.
Political leaders are chosen based on Shora and Bai'a, Scholars (i.e Imams and Faqihs) are based on their knowledge and fiqh.

Also, It's not Sunnism, it's Sunni Islam. Sunni Islam has a number of schools of thought, those can be considered isms, not the whole thing.

If people thinl a certain scholar fits with their ideology then they will choose them. You don't even need to choose a scholar.

Choosing a scholar or not, the Quran and the Hadith are still the same and still represent the highest authority.
There is no choice in that BTW. To deny either is to deny one of the main pillars of faith in Sunni Islam, which, by the definition of the Quran itself, is considered infidelity.

Sunnism is kind of like a market. The producers (i.e. the scholars) adjust their products (i.e. fitahs) based on what the consumers want (i.e. Sunnis). Thus, in actuality, it's Sunni scholars who make laws based on the moral and social expectations of the people.

It's just that the state meddles in the market to influence it. If there was no state, loads of innovative ideas would arise.

Quran and Hadith.
Osol and Foro'.

You're criticisms of Sunnis fall flat due to how you come to conclusions that don't make sense in the context of the information you've given.

LMAO.

People have way too high expectations for the Reformation. After actually reading about the Reformation, it's nothing like tje stereotypes suggest. If anything this myth that the Reformation was an enlightenment is just Protestant hogwash.

The reformation did two main things;
1- it opened the door for people to read their religion directly and removed the entitlement of the Church to be the sole keeper of religion.
2- It opened the door to question the authority of the Church and denied the infallibility of the Church.
This is why it laid the basics for enlightenment.

Post modern philosophy was 20th-21st centuries not the 19th century. Nietzsche, Marx, Hegel, and other philosophers criticized and built upon prior philosophers and created new philosophies for the "modern" era of industry which is why they're called "modern" philosophers.

And what you're refering to here:

Is post modernism, not modernism; since modernism was built on the foundation of enlightenment, while postmodernism came to question it.

No they didn't. They thought you could discover God through the natural world and empiricism and led to the modern developments of existentialism in Islamic philosophy like Ibn Arabi and Mullah Sadra.

The bolded part is why my point is right and your denial of it is wrong.

That's not true at all. In the same era the Anglican Church persecuted Puritans leading them to establish colonies in the Americas (in fact, America is where Britain sent religious sects they didn't like to), the Spaniards were committing the largest genocide in history in the name of God, Germany was in the middle of a 100 year war over religion, and Napoleon has just been crowned Emperor and ruler of the Catholic Church of France.

Secularism never became a thing until much, much later.

Just read about it bro.
Here, from the easiest source ever;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment

Oh really? The nightclub shooter was a closet homosexual with anger issues and sociopathic tendencies if that's who you're referring to.

Which one?
Because the one that came to me is the one that tended to that club before he started radicalizing.

Also, feel free to look through the thousands who went to Syria and Iraq to join ISIS.

Those who are the most susceptible to radicalization are the disenfranchised.

Or the ones who had a sudden "spiritual awakening" and felt severe guilt about their sins and decided to repent.

Pardon?

North Pakistan is mainly made up of tribal areas.
And the coastline is mainly made of Balochis.
Both have routine insurgencies and separatist movements.

Are you referring to the Christian one because that's old news.

The one with Asia Noreen is the latest one to make a major news.
However there are many many more.

https://zenit.org/articles/pakistan-nea ... y-charges/

Never said the government was liberal. I said some people are liberal.

I know, and I responded by saying it doesn't matter if some people are liberal, the state still has religious laws and those laws aren't liberal.

Law isn't enforced sometimes especially in Pakistan.

The only areas where the law isn't applied in Pakistan are conflict areas.
Primarily the aforementioned tribal and Balochi areas.
The reason why it's not always applied is because it's occasionally interrupted by martial law.

It isn't. Most of the people in Syria are either Hanafi or Shafi.

What about the Jazeera?
Let me guess, those are not Hanbali either eh?

Do you even know how laws are enforced? If law enforcement doesn't enforce the law, then there's nothing that law can do. The same thing happens in Pakistan.

Refer to the above.

India won't give it autonomy. Kashmir is not like other provinces. If you seriously think Kashmir won't be under a "special provisional government" or something then you're lying to yourself.

As long as the insurgencies are still going then it sure as hell wont be given autonomy.
But when that matter is solved, then yea, it can be given autonomy.

That doesn't mean most Syrians are Hanbali.

Didn't say they were.
They still exist, primarily in the Jazeera. You know, the place where ISIS somehow managed to gain many recruits from; wonder why is that, it couldn't possibly be because the people there are highly conservative and happen to follow the same school of thought.

Your claim was that the Sunni-Shia conflict was like the Reformation or Enlightenment. It wasn't because the initial conflict was a succession crisis.

My claim was that the current Sunni Shia conflict going on is going to spark a reformation when people get tired of these religious conflicts.
Noting that the "current" Sunni-Shia conflict has been going on for a few centuries as the pre-Safavid Shia schools of thought, with minor exceptions, no longer exist.

EDIT:
Notes I must make clear since you might try to use them in your response so better just counter them from the start.

Hassan Nasrallah is not officially a Sayyed anymore, he stopped being one since the 90s as he took a political position, that is why if you looked at his speeches, he stopped making religious rulings right at the moment, since he's no longer allowed to do so, nor is he recognized as a Sayyed by the Jafari court.
The reason why he's called a Sayyed is that everyone is simply used to it and it stuck, just like everyone is used to calling Khamenei the "supreme leader" when his actual title is Al-Faqih while the whole supreme leader thing is just foreign propaganda.
Or just like any former mosque's Imama will still be called Imam even if he stopped being one.
Doesn't mean it's not true.
I'm not a westerners and even I think Islam hasn't yet had its reformation or enlightenment.
A fact is a fact, irregardless of who says it.

Except it isn't a fact. Islam has already had a Reformation if we're referring to the actual historical events that occurred and not just the myths.

The people who make such criticism and who were the first to do so were Westerners who couldn't point to Lebanon on a map. In other words, it's made by ignorant foreigners.

Everything from personal liberty, individualism, separation of powers, equality, constitutionalism, etc are principle ideas of the enlightenment.

Well the Mu'tazila had all of these ideas even the ones related to individualism and personal liberty. The economic ideas of the Abbasid era waa very similar to the traditional ideas of British liberty.

Regardless, all of these aren't ideas of the European Enlightenment. All the ideas you listed were discussed by Descartes, Leibniz, and other similar philosophers in the Renaissance. Ideas of republicanism and civic government were pioneered by Machiavelli.

What we did see from the Enlightenment which was unique is A. new economic ideas due to the emergence of capitalism in Europe and B. a newlyfounded sense of chauvinism. Let me extrapolate on B.

The Enlightenment saw a shift from European superiority based on religion to one based on culture or "science". The Enlightenment was basically in narrative from Europe being better than non-Europeans due to Christianity to one based on the enlightenment of Europe over non-European societies.

To Enlightenment thinkers, only Europeans were capable of understanding freedom and individualism or capable of attaining enlightenment. This narrative later turned into genetic superiority with the discovery of evolution.

So the Enlightenment is not responsible for discovering individualism or personal liberty and instead led to justifications of imperialism and racial superiority. Why should the Islamic world copy Europe's example again?

The reformation didn't just lead to the protestants coming to be, it led to the overhaul of the entire Catholic and Orthodox churches as well.

1. The Protestant Reformation only had a small influence on Orthodox Christianity generally because the Ottomans were a good safeguard against it.

2. Catholic churches did overhaul themselves, to be more oppressive that is. When the Catholic church found out it had new competition, the Catholic church became nearly totalitarian in its hold on the existing Catholic population and criticism of the Church was persecuted against. If there was the slightest suspicion that you weren't Catholic you were executed.

That would be by definition heresy and blasphemy in accordance with the Quran.

What I just said is literally how Sunnism works.

And in the Sunni sect, the Quran is the direct word of god, unchanging.

Those are the Salafis not all Sunnis. Honestly I think you've just been hanging out with Wahhabists.

For most Shia sects, the Quran can be updated by the Imams.

How it's updated depends on the Sayyid. It can go forwards or backwards.

:lol: :lol:
Freedom to think whatever you want?
Sunnis who have the "freedom to think whatever they want" aren't free to do that because their religion allows it, but because there is no one to enforce the religion.

I'm speaking theologically not how things work now. We are talking about the merits of Sunnism as an ideology.

Sunnis, theoretically, have the capability to pick and choose which scholar they like the most.

In Sunni Islam, all rules must be based on the Quran first, then the Haddith, then Ijma' and Qiyas which both require direct basis from the Quran or Hadith.

That depends on the school of thought. Malikis for example place 'Amal second to the Quran and Hadith.

This isn't even getting into individual scholars.

Sufis are their own sect. If you became a Sufi, you're no longer Sunni or Shia.

Tasawwuf is a branch of Islam. It isn't a sect. It's a method or way of attaining connection with God, a "science" if you will. It's not a sect anymore than Sharia is a sect.

Salafis are Sunni conservatives, by the very definition of the word, Al-Salaf Al-Saleh.

That doesn't change the fact that their interpretation isn't what all Sunnis believe. Your basing your claims on Sunnis based on conservatives. Not all Sunnis are extremists.

They all go that far, with the Hanbalis being the most extreme of them.

Prove to me that all schools of thought go that far.

And the Saudis are simply supporting an ideology.

That's my point. The prominence of Wahhabism in the Middle East isn't natural or something all Sunnis believe.

If I payed lots of money to anarchists in other countries you'd see alot more anarchists popping up or at least becoming more powerful because I've been giving them the power to spread their influence.

Same goes with Saudis.

Fundamentally different from Sunni theology? :eek:
Have you ever read the Quran dude?

I have. If you only use the Quran as the basis of your thought it's a lot less extremist than using the hadith indiscriminately.

The states that don't have those are the ones that aren't applying Sunni religious laws.

Sharia isn't specifically Sunni.

No religious reform is ever intended as a form of progressivism. It is intended to match the current morality and social expectations of the populace.

It doesn't otherwise the Ayatollahs would be alot more liberal than they are now.

Actually no, the prophet himself banned it which is why Sunnis do not have it.

Then explain the Sunni scholars who support it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikah_m ... unni_Islam

It's not.
It has no central authority because the Quran is the all-encompassing authority in it.

The Quran can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I've seen Sunnis use it justify things from alcoholism to pre-marital sex.

You're being very strict on the Quran like a Salafi even though people make their own interpretations of the Quran all the time.

Sorry but your words don't line up with reality. They don't line up with my own experiences with Sunnis.

You talk about Sunnis like they're some exotic force that behaves in one specific way. That kind of dehumanization won't work on me.

There are however religious authorities in the Sunni world, who would've thought. :lol:

The key is "central authority".

The point is that anyone can come along and offer their own interpretations. You don't see many heterodox Sunni scholars because of Saudis monopoly on them.

When I start an anarchist society, I'll try to get all the persecuted and innovative scholars out there and bring into my society. Then lots of religious experimentation will take place.

Not if those are religious or ideological authorities.

Especially if those are religious or ideological authorities.

You have just one Quran and one Hadith(plural) in Sunni Islam.

So? The Quran and Hadith can be interpreted dozens of ways.

And the people in power apply the law that already exists in the Quran and the Hadith, they don't make it up as they go along.

They apply their interpretations of it. People will interpret texts regardless of what happens.

To have anarchism in Islamic communities, you have to abolish Islam, since it's directly opposed to it on a fundamental level.

You can abolish the governmental influence Islam while letting people believe in it.

Islam, at its core, is about the unquestionable authority of God and the submission to that authority.

In the Abbasid Era, people believed that the only authority you could submit to is God and no one else.

They're not and they don't.
A Sayyed can not be a king, nor can hold any position of political authority.

Then explain the Ayatollahs.

And I mean that literally, there are rules for it.

Rules are made to be broken.

Khamenei for example isn't a political leader nor an administrative figure, he's the spiritual leader.

I highly doubt that. And religious leaders are inherently political.

A Sayyed only becomes one because he has social support, it's the Shora principle.
If they try to oppress society, they can easily be replaced as is the case with many who were.

You mean the Majlis-ash-Shura?

In the case of Sunni scholars, scholars are only influential if people listen to them.

Let me put this in a way you'd understand, Sunnis are alot like Protestants.

There is a reason why you don't see a Sayyed taking position of political authority, and there is a reason why even the most powerful Ayatollahs (an Ayatollah is the equivalant of a saint in Shia Islam, and is a high ranking Sayyed) have to routinely make concessions to the population.

I highly doubt this.

No they're not.

People can listen to whatever scholars they want.

And political leaders are chosen by a Majlis-ash-Shura of which is elected by the people.

Also, It's not Sunnism, it's Sunni Islam. Sunni Islam has a number of schools of thought, those can be considered isms, not the whole thing.

That's what it's referred to in English and that's what I'll use.

Choosing a scholar or not, the Quran and the Hadith are still the same and still represent the highest authority.

What about "the Quran and Hadith can be interpreted" do you not understand?

The reformation did two main things;
1- it opened the door for people to read their religion directly and removed the entitlement of the Church to be the sole keeper of religion.

That was going to happen anyways due to the printing press and there were already printed Bibles in circulation around Italy before the Reformation. The Reformation was a fundamentally political movement not based on the translation of the Bible.

In fact the translation of the Bible was a detriment due to how it led to competing alternatives to Protestantism like Calvinism.

2- It opened the door to question the authority of the Church and denied the infallibility of the Church.

People were already doing that for hundreds of years. Do you know how many reforms the Church has done before this?

And what you're refering to here:

Is post modernism, not modernism; since modernism was built on the foundation of enlightenment, while postmodernism came to question it.

Oh my god you really don't understand do you.

First off, modernism as a concept only existed after the industrial revolution with new art movements like cubism and futurism. Wikipedia says as much:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernism

Modernism is both a philosophical movement and an art movement that, along with cultural trends and changes, arose from wide-scale and far-reaching transformations in Western society during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Among the factors that shaped modernism were the development of modern industrial societies and the rapid growth of cities, followed then by reactions of horror to World War I. Modernism also rejected the certainty of Enlightenment thinking, and many modernists rejected religious belief

The bolded part is why my point is right and your denial of it is wrong.

How? The idea that you could discover God through science was the most common ideology for Renaissance Era scientists and philosophers.

Just read about it bro.
Here, from the easiest source ever;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment

I've written an essay on the Age of Enlightenment and this was like the only source I used so you should probably reread it.

Which one?
Because the one that came to me is the one that tended to that club before he started radicalizing.

?

Also, feel free to look through the thousands who went to Syria and Iraq to join ISIS.

Where did you think I got my information? Why do you think I would mention the interviews.

Or the ones who had a sudden "spiritual awakening" and felt severe guilt about their sins and decided to repent.

The type of people who have those awakenings are the disenfranchised.

North Pakistan is mainly made up of tribal areas.
And the coastline is mainly made of Balochis.
Both have routine insurgencies and separatist movements.

Then it's somewhere else I guess.

The one with Asia Noreen is the latest one to make a major news.
However there are many many more.

https://zenit.org/articles/pakistan-nea ... y-charges/

I'm way too tired to write about the intricacies of the situation but alot of the issues with Asia Noreen stem from the caste system that Mughal India had before.

I know, and I responded by saying it doesn't matter if some people are liberal, the state still has religious laws and those laws aren't liberal.

I don't give a shit about governments, as long as the people are liberal that's fine with me. It makes spreading anarchism easier.

The only areas where the law isn't applied in Pakistan are conflict areas.

Honor killing laws aren't enforced in rural areas.

What about the Jazeera?
Let me guess, those are not Hanbali either eh?

That's cherrypicking. It's no coincidence that the poorest region is Hanbali.

As long as the insurgencies are still going then it sure as hell wont be given autonomy.
But when that matter is solved, then yea, it can be given autonomy.

It's more likely going to be a Tibet situation.

Didn't say they were.
They still exist, primarily in the Jazeera. You know, the place where ISIS somehow managed to gain many recruits from; wonder why is that, it couldn't possibly be because the people there are highly conservative and happen to follow the same school of thought.

Isn't the fact that it's a ruined hellscape help that?

My claim was that the current Sunni Shia conflict going on is going to spark a reformation when people get tired of these religious conflicts.
Noting that the "current" Sunni-Shia conflict has been going on for a few centuries as the pre-Safavid Shia schools of thought, with minor exceptions, no longer exist.

I'm intending to actually merge Sunni and Shia theology together. There's lots of good ideas on both sides.
@Palmyrene
Except it isn't a fact. Islam has already had a Reformation if we're referring to the actual historical events that occurred and not just the myths.

Not a reformation in the sense of weakening the influence of religion.

Well the Mu'tazila had all of these ideas even the ones related to individualism and personal liberty. The economic ideas of the Abbasid era waa very similar to the traditional ideas of British liberty.

Regardless, all of these aren't ideas of the European Enlightenment. All the ideas you listed were discussed by Descartes, Leibniz, and other similar philosophers in the Renaissance. Ideas of republicanism and civic government were pioneered by Machiavelli.

What we did see from the Enlightenment which was unique is A. new economic ideas due to the emergence of capitalism in Europe and B. a newlyfounded sense of chauvinism. Let me extrapolate on B.

The Enlightenment saw a shift from European superiority based on religion to one based on culture or "science". The Enlightenment was basically in narrative from Europe being better than non-Europeans due to Christianity to one based on the enlightenment of Europe over non-European societies.

To Enlightenment thinkers, only Europeans were capable of understanding freedom and individualism or capable of attaining enlightenment. This narrative later turned into genetic superiority with the discovery of evolution.

So the Enlightenment is not responsible for discovering individualism or personal liberty and instead led to justifications of imperialism and racial superiority. Why should the Islamic world copy Europe's example again?

Those are key principles of enlightenment.
Nationalism and European supremacy came on latter on at the end of the age of enlightenment.

1. The Protestant Reformation only had a small influence on Orthodox Christianity generally because the Ottomans were a good safeguard against it.

It had an effect on both.
The Ottomans weren't an internal force to Christianity.

2. Catholic churches did overhaul themselves, to be more oppressive that is. When the Catholic church found out it had new competition, the Catholic church became nearly totalitarian in its hold on the existing Catholic population and criticism of the Church was persecuted against. If there was the slightest suspicion that you weren't Catholic you were executed.

They became more extreme in an attempt to preserve their power, however it does not deny that they have lost significant influence and power as the bible and the various religious texts became open to the public.

What I just said is literally how Sunnism works.

It is not.
A simple search can show what you're saying wrong, no need to read an article, read the Quran.

Those are the Salafis not all Sunnis. Honestly I think you've just been hanging out with Wahhabists.

Salafis are just conservative Sunnis, they're not separate.

How it's updated depends on the Sayyid. It can go forwards or backwards.

True, which is why Shora is needed.

I'm speaking theologically not how things work now. We are talking about the merits of Sunnism as an ideology.

I, also, am talking theologically.
There is no such thing as a "Sunni ideology".
There are Sunni ideologies, but all have the same basis since they're all based on the same text.

Sunnis, theoretically, have the capability to pick and choose which scholar they like the most.

Sure, but scholars don't have the option to choose the text.
The Quran applies to all.

That depends on the school of thought. Malikis for example place 'Amal second to the Quran and Hadith.

It doesn't.
The Maliki school of thought takes the deeds ('amal) of the prophet's companions as a further explanotary addition to the Hadith and the Quran under the same rules of Qiyas and Ijma'.
Qiyas and Ijma' aren't made up by a school of thought, it's mentioned and explained in the Hadith, it's ordained as a key part of religion.

Tasawwuf is a branch of Islam. It isn't a sect. It's a method or way of attaining connection with God, a "science" if you will. It's not a sect anymore than Sharia is a sect.

Sufis follow the Qamari readings of the Quran, which makes them separate of other sects as they do hold differing beliefs from any other sect.

That doesn't change the fact that their interpretation isn't what all Sunnis believe. Your basing your claims on Sunnis based on conservatives. Not all Sunnis are extremists.

More accurately, you're trying to incline that the actions or beleifs of individual Sunnis makes any difference to the religion it self.
Sunni Islam, as a religion, is a clear cut one.
Some Sunnis being liberal and not following their religion does not mean that the religion suddenly became a liberal one.

Prove to me that all schools of thought go that far.

Simple, they all believe that the Quran is the unchanging word of god, and the Hadith to be explanatory accompanying text to the Quran given by the prophet.
The Quran goes that far, there for all who follow the Quran to its fullest go that far by definition.

I have. If you only use the Quran as the basis of your thought it's a lot less extremist than using the hadith indiscriminately.

Then you haven't read the Quran I see.
If the Quran isn't extreme, then nothing is.

Sharia isn't specifically Sunni.

Sharia just means law.
Sunni Sharia is specific to Sunni Islam.

It doesn't otherwise the Ayatollahs would be alot more liberal than they are now.

It does. The population that follows them is simply not liberal.
And it's not hard to see why by simply reading the history.

Then explain the Sunni scholars who support it:

Then they are, and to use the prophet Mohammad's words, blasphemous.
also, the article you just cited disputes your claim.

From the link
oth Abdullah and Al-Hasan, the two sons of Muhammad ben Ali Abu Taleb, from their father Muhammad ben Ali ben Abu Taleb from Ali ben Abu Taleb, that the Messenger of Allah had forbidden temporary marriage, and the eating of the flesh of the domestic donkey on the day of Khaibar."

The only Sunni Arab jurisdiction that mentions nikah mut'ah is Jordan; if the nikah mut'ah meets all other requirements, it is treated as if it were a permanent marriage.

De facto temporary marriages were conducted by Sunnis by not specifying how long the marriage would last in the written documents themselves while orally agreeing to set a fixed period

The whole idea behind Mut'a is that it's temporary. Not setting the time period makes it a regular marriage, not a temporary one.

The Quran can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Not all of it.
Osol and Foro'.

I've seen Sunnis use it justify things from alcoholism to pre-marital sex.

The Quran specifically and in very clear words not open to interpretation bans both, and both are Osol

You're being very strict on the Quran like a Salafi even though people make their own interpretations of the Quran all the time.

Choosing to ignore the Quran doesn't mean it stopped existing.
Also, Salafis are simply considered extreme because they choose to apply all of it.

Sorry but your words don't line up with reality. They don't line up with my own experiences with Sunnis.

They do line up with reality.
Everytime Sunni Islamic law is to be applied irregardless of where, it is applied like I describe.
You're trying to argue that because individual Sunnis choose not to follow their religion then the religion became liberal.
It doesn't. You choosing not apply the teachings of the Quran or the Hadith doesn't change them, it just means you don't apply them.

You talk about Sunnis like they're some exotic force that behaves in one specific way. That kind of dehumanization won't work on me.

So far I've been discussing Sunni Islam, not Sunnis as individuals. Though you've been trying, in your very regular fashion, to strawman the argument time and again and turn it to one about individuals. It's not working.

The point is that anyone can come along and offer their own interpretations.

They can't. There are clear rules put in place in the Quran and the Hadith on how to do all these things.
Primarily, Qiyas and Ijma'.

So? The Quran and Hadith can be interpreted dozens of ways.

Again.
Osol are clear worded constants, Foro' are open to interpretation.
This is Islamic Fiqh 101.

They apply their interpretations of it. People will interpret texts regardless of what happens.

And we go into the circle again.
They don't.
If the Quran says something is banned and forbidden, it's forbidden.
The parts that are open to interpretation in the Quran and the Hadith are the Foro' and the prophecies.

Then explain the Ayatollahs.

The Ayatollahs are not kings or in position of political leadership.
The Ayatollahs are the ones in Qum, who none of them hold any political power.
They have religious and spiritual authority so they influence politics through their influence on the people who follow them, but they don't hold any political power.

The closest thing to Qum is pretty much the vatican, if one is not there, then he's not recognized as an Ayatollah and none of his rulings are recognized.
The is why Al-Sadr for example stopped making religious decrees as well when he started leading a militia and started participating in politics.
He can still teach and preach them, he can't make new rulings or decrees.

Rules are made to be broken.

In the context of Islam, those rules are made by God directly, and breaking them is severely punishable by God himself.

I highly doubt that. And religious leaders are inherently political.

Read the constitution, or what the Faqih is.
He's the spiritual leader of the nation, not the political leader of it. (That's why there is a president.)
Now sure, he has influence on politics through his followers, but not directly.
Also, this is why the Guardian council exists, because the Faqih can not act directly.

You mean the Majlis-ash-Shura?

Shura as a principle in Shia Islam is not only on the leadership level. It also goes down in ranks all the way to the bottom.

Sunnis are alot like Protestants.

It's not.

I highly doubt this.

Khamenei made several concessions so far, the most famous one is regarding transgenders.

People can listen to whatever scholars they want.

And political leaders are chosen by a Majlis-ash-Shura of which is elected by the people.

Majlis Ashshura is not elected.

What about "the Quran and Hadith can be interpreted" do you not understand?

What about not all of it do you not understand?
There are Osol and Foro'. One can be interpreted and the other is ordained by God and unchanging.

People were already doing that for hundreds of years. Do you know how many reforms the Church has done before this?

This was the big one.

That was going to happen anyways due to the printing press and there were already printed Bibles in circulation around Italy before the Reformation. The Reformation was a fundamentally political movement not based on the translation of the Bible.

Translation wasn't allowed.

Oh my god you really don't understand do you.

Modernism was essentially conceived of as a rebellion against 19th Century academic and historicist traditions and against Victorian nationalism and cultural absolutism, on the grounds that the "traditional" forms of art, architecture, literature, religious faith, social organization and daily life (in a modern industrialized world) were becoming outdated. The movement was initially called "avant-garde", descriptive of its attempt to overthrow some aspect of tradition or the status quo. The term "modernism" itself is derived from the Latin "modo", meaning "just now".

https://www.philosophybasics.com/moveme ... rnism.html
In general terms, the Enlightenment was an intellectual movement, developed mainly in France, Britain and Germany, which advocated freedom, democracy and reason as the primary values of society. It started from the standpoint that men's minds should be freed from ignorance, from superstition and from the arbitrary powers of the State, in order to allow mankind to achieve progress and perfection. The period was marked by a further decline in the influence of the church, governmental consolidation and greater rights for the common people. Politically, it was a time of revolutions and turmoil and of the overturning of established traditions.

https://www.philosophybasics.com/histor ... nment.html

Modernism, here limited to aesthetic modernism (see also modernity), describes a series of sometimes radical movements in art, architecture, photography, music, literature, and the applied arts which emerged in the three decades before 1914. Modernism has philosophical antecedents that can be traced to the eighteenth-century Enlightenment but is rooted in the changes in Western society at the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries.

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Modernism

How? The idea that you could discover God through science was the most common ideology for Renaissance Era scientists and philosophers.

Empiricism:
In philosophy, empiricism is a theory that states that knowledge comes only or primarily from sensory experience. It is one of several views of epistemology, the study of human knowledge, along with rationalism and skepticism.

Honor killing laws aren't enforced in rural areas.

Rural areas are where the the tribes are. :p

That's cherrypicking. It's no coincidence that the poorest region is Hanbali.

It is the poorest because much of the practices that generated the wealth every else is banned.
Also, they're much more religious.

Isn't the fact that it's a ruined hellscape help that?

Actually it has lots of resources there.

Most of the Gas, oil, phosphate, and other minerals are there.
Also, lots of wheat and farming near the river.

Though most of the practices that usually generate profit are rejected by the population, so they don't use it.
Although there is no religious authority there, nor is the state authority much present there pre and post-war, the people enforce religion on each other.

I'm intending to actually merge Sunni and Shia theology together. There's lots of good ideas on both sides.

Highly improbable.
Too many contradiction.
Even on baisc theological things, Sunnis and Shias disagree, like the fact that in Shia schools of thought, the quran is not yet completed, that the prophet Mohammed didn't complete the religion, that there are major Imams (12) and minor Imams who come to complete the religion part by part (this is why Asyad and Ayatollah can do that, Ayatollahs are considered minor Imams), and ofcourse you have the belief that Ali is divine, and the whole saints thing.

Shia Islam is heavily mixed with Zoroastrianism and Persian philosophy, so it can, to a large extent, be considered an entirely different religion, or atleast theology.

Ok, off for the night. Gotta go receive a shipment of Carbotanium early in the morning.
Continue tomorrow.
Not a reformation in the sense of weakening the influence of religion.

What you want isn't reformation then, it's secularization which has been the policy of several Middle Eastern states and all such attempts failed.

The Reformation was about a completely different sect being created and a continent wide civil war, it has done nothing to secularize religion. Secularism wasn't even popular until the late 80s in Europe. It was then you saw great increases in atheism.

Those are key principles of enlightenment.
Nationalism and European supremacy came on latter on at the end of the age of enlightenment.

1. As I said before, the "principles of enlightenment" you listed have existed as concepts in the Islamic world and Europe before the Enlightenment.

2. Nationalism and European supremacy were the only original ideas the Enlightenment really had.

It had an effect on both.
The Ottomans weren't an internal force to Christianity.

I never said it didn't have an effect just that it didn't effect it that much. The keyword here is "small influence".

The Ottomans sponsored and maintained legitimacy amongst Christians due to the Orthodox Church. If the Reformation reached the Orthodox Christians this could damage the legitimacy of the Church and ergo the Ottomans.

You bet your ass they didn't everything possible to ward off it's influence.

They became more extreme in an attempt to preserve their power, however it does not deny that they have lost significant influence and power as the bible and the various religious texts became open to the public.

They were open to the public before then. The Gutensburg Bible, the first printed bible, was first printed and wide distributed in 1450. Martin Luther started the Reformation in 1517. That's 67 years after the Gutensburg Bible was first in print.

Clearly something isn't lining up.

It is not.
A simple search can show what you're saying wrong, no need to read an article, read the Quran.

I have or are you going to claim I didn't too because I didn't come to the same twisted conclusions as you?

Salafis are just conservative Sunnis, they're not separate.

Mainstream Sunnis see them as separate regardless of what Salafi says. A wolf in lamb's clothing will say he's a lamb while lambs will say he's not. Will you believe the wolf or lambs?

True, which is why Shora is needed.

A Sayyid can theoretically get rid of or dissolve the Shura if he wants to. Rashid ad-Din Sinan did in Masyaf Castle.

I, also, am talking theologically.

You aren't if you're discussing the application of laws in the present.

There is no such thing as a "Sunni ideology".
There are Sunni ideologies, but all have the same basis since they're all based on the same text.

So there is a Sunni ideology.

Also Shias base themselves on the same text. They're still Muslim.

Both sects open the doors for interpretation.

Sure, but scholars don't have the option to choose the text.

You're right, they can choose the interpretation.

It doesn't.
The Maliki school of thought takes the deeds ('amal) of the prophet's companions as a further explanotary addition to the Hadith and the Quran under the same rules of Qiyas and Ijma'.
Qiyas and Ijma' aren't made up by a school of thought, it's mentioned and explained in the Hadith, it's ordained as a key part of religion.

I think you misunderstood me. 'Amal is below Quran and Hadith.

You're basically agreeing with me.

Sufis follow the Qamari readings of the Quran, which makes them separate of other sects as they do hold differing beliefs from any other sect.

Are you taking your information of Sufis from Persian sources?

Because I've found only Iranian Sufis derive authority from qamari.

Regardless, tasawwuf is a branch of Islam. Several famous Muslims were Sunni Sufis and mainstream Islam outside of Salafis accept them as a branch of it.

Like I said, saying Sufis are a sect is like saying Sharia is a sect.

More accurately, you're trying to incline that the actions or beleifs of individual Sunnis makes any difference to the religion it self.

It does. A religion is it's people.

Sunni Islam, as a religion, is a clear cut one.
Some Sunnis being liberal and not following their religion does not mean that the religion suddenly became a liberal one.

It isn't any more clear cut than that of Shi'ites.

Simple, they all believe that the Quran is the unchanging word of god, and the Hadith to be explanatory accompanying text to the Quran given by the prophet.
The Quran goes that far, there for all who follow the Quran to its fullest go that far by definition.

I want proof not your speculation.

Then you haven't read the Quran I see.
If the Quran isn't extreme, then nothing is.

The Quran is generally less extreme if you don't include the Hadith.

Sharia just means law.

And Islam just means submission or surrender yet obviously these mean different things in a religious context.

Don't play coy.

It does. The population that follows them is simply not liberal.

I have my reservations about that. Even if it's not liberal, there are other aspects of the Ayatollah's regime that most people would find objectionable.

And it's not hard to see why by simply reading the history.

So Iranians are just victims of history and circumstance while Arabs and Sunnis are animals who only behave in specific way due to "ideology".

Why do you give Iranians nuance while refusing to give Arabs and Sunnis that same nuance.

Then they are, and to use the prophet Mohammad's words, blasphemous.

Depends on the interpretation. It's not like Muhammad's here to correct them.

also, the article you just cited disputes your claim.

From the link

The whole idea behind Mut'a is that it's temporary. Not setting the time period makes it a regular marriage, not a temporary one.

They do set the time period, just orally.

Not all of it.

According to who. The Quran and Hadiths are a book and a pile of scrolls. They are no authority.

The Quran specifically and in very clear words not open to interpretation bans both

Prove it.

They do line up with reality.
Everytime Sunni Islamic law is to be applied irregardless of where, it is applied like I describe.

That doesn't make it what Sunnism condones.

Most of the people who bother to apply Sunni laws at all are Salafis and their interpretation informs they're beliefs.

You're trying to argue that because individual Sunnis choose not to follow their religion then the religion became liberal.

I've been trying to argue that Sunnis can pick and choose scholars and that those scholars can come up with whatever interpretation they'd like. Actual 'alims-in-training, muftis, and mullanas I've talked to told me this that, even if the mainstream scholarly community rejects a scholar and even if the scholar says weird stuff, Sunnis would still be able to follow them.

They can't. There are clear rules put in place in the Quran and the Hadith on how to do all these things.
Primarily, Qiyas and Ijma'.

And if they do whose going to stop them? And what if a majority of the Sunni population supports their interpretation? What are you going to do then?

Again.
Osol are clear worded constants, Foro' are open to interpretation.
This is Islamic Fiqh 101.

Read above.

The Ayatollahs are not kings or in position of political leadership.
The Ayatollahs are the ones in Qum, who none of them hold any political power.
They have religious and spiritual authority so they influence politics through their influence on the people who follow them, but they don't hold any political power.

Silly anasawad, influencing people and their behavior is political power.

In the context of Islam, those rules are made by God directly, and breaking them is severely punishable by God himself.

Well I'd like to see God himself come down and say otherwise.

Read the constitution, or what the Faqih is.
He's the spiritual leader of the nation, not the political leader of it. (That's why there is a president.)
Now sure, he has influence on politics through his followers, but not directly.
Also, this is why the Guardian council exists, because the Faqih can not act directly.

And the Guardian council let's him tell them to do what he wants them to do.

Thanks for the info btw. Now I know how to spread anarchism to Iran or at least I have one plan.

Shura as a principle in Shia Islam is not only on the leadership level. It also goes down in ranks all the way to the bottom.

How did you think the Caliphate was supposed to work?

It's not.

Yeah they are, you just have a rose tinted view of Protestants.

They literally allied with each other because they're so similar.

Khamenei made several concessions so far, the most famous one is regarding transgenders.

And? That doesn't mean it's accepted by Iranian society (at least the Iranian I talked to disagreed with it. I thought Iranians were so liberal before this).

Majlis Ashshura is not elected.

It is. There's like a whole set of conditions. Sure they rule for life but they're still initially elected.

What about not all of it do you not understand?
There are Osol and Foro'. One can be interpreted and the other is ordained by God and unchanging.

Scholars have been breaking those rules for centuries. Sunni ones too.

This was the big one.

Pardon?

Translation wasn't allowed.

Then why was it done 67 years before then?

https://www.philosophybasics.com/moveme ... rnism.html

https://www.philosophybasics.com/histor ... nment.html

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Modernism

Literally nothing here disproves the wikipedia article.

Empiricism:

And?

You do realize that the Mu'tazila held lot's of religious beliefs right? For starters they believed that the Quran was created (although most sects did at the time) and secondly they believed that God created humans with free will.

Here's an actual Mu'tazila discussing their beliefs:

https://www.mutazila.net/

Rural areas are where the the tribes are. :p

Well I guess we're in agreement then.

It is the poorest because much of the practices that generated the wealth every else is banned.

No. It isn't. Raqqa wasn't conservative back in the 80s when farmers were given control of land owned by their landonwers. Only after Raqqa got worse economically due to sanctions did it become religious. I remember by grandaunt told me that women in Raqqa in the 80s used to not wear hijab and wore mini-skirts.

You seem to have a very simplistic perspective on everything.

Actually it has lots of resources there.

So does Appalachia or the Rust Belt in the US but that's still shitty as fuck.

Most of the Gas, oil, phosphate, and other minerals are there.
Also, lots of wheat and farming near the river.

Actually I was thinking of holding the anarchist base of operates in Raqqa. What do you think? Is that a good idea. Maybe we should make that into a completely different discussion.

Though most of the practices that usually generate profit are rejected by the population, so they don't use it.

That's not how economics works and in another conversation we had, I posted proof that most Islamic finance isn't actually Islamic..

Highly improbable.
Too many contradiction.
Even on baisc theological things, Sunnis and Shias disagree, like the fact that in Shia schools of thought, the quran is not yet completed, that the prophet Mohammed didn't complete the religion, that there are major Imams (12) and minor Imams who come to complete the religion part by part (this is why Asyad and Ayatollah can do that, Ayatollahs are considered minor Imams), and ofcourse you have the belief that Ali is divine, and the whole saints thing.

But the philosophy though is really really good and the Ottomans and Afsharids had plans to unite Islam under one wing so clearly it is possible and if it's good enough for the Ottomans and Afsharids, it's good enough for me.

My own ideas about God are a combination of the two.

Shia Islam is heavily mixed with Zoroastrianism and Persian philosophy, so it can, to a large extent, be considered an entirely different religion, or atleast theology.

I don't see an issue with that.

Ooo maybe uniting Sunnis and Shias would be like uniting Arabs and Persians! Ehh? Ehh?
By anasawad
@Palmyrene
What you want isn't reformation then, it's secularization which has been the policy of several Middle Eastern states and all such attempts failed.

The Reformation was about a completely different sect being created and a continent-wide civil war, it has done nothing to secularize religion. Secularism wasn't even popular until the late 80s in Europe. It was then you saw great increases in atheism.

I do, and the mainly reason secularism managed to take hold in Europe is because the reformation and the religious wars it entailed weakened the Church enough for that to happen.

The same as had happened in China.

1. As I said before, the "principles of enlightenment" you listed have existed as concepts in the Islamic world and Europe before the Enlightenment.

They haven't. And they still don't exist in the Islamic world for the most part.

2. Nationalism and European supremacy were the only original ideas the Enlightenment really had.

Nationalism came way latter.

They were open to the public before then. The Gutenberg Bible, the first printed bible, was first printed and wide distributed in 1450. Martin Luther started the Reformation in 1517. That's 67 years after the Gutenberg Bible was first in print.

Clearly something isn't lining up.

The Gutenberg bibble is in Latin.
All bibles were in Latin.
The Gutenberg Bible, an edition of the Vulgate, contains the Latin version of both the Hebrew Old Testament and the Greek New Testament. It is mainly the work of Jerome who began his work on the translation in 380 AD, with emendations from the Parisian Bible tradition, and further divergences[4] (the Paris Bible, one of many Bible translations in the Middle Ages, is also known as the "Thirteenth-Century Bible", "Old French Bible" or, in French, "Bible du XIIIe siècle").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenberg_Bible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_tra ... ern_period

I have or are you going to claim I didn't too because I didn't come to the same twisted conclusions as you?

So you read the Quran, but just didn't come across all the parts about banning and killing and spreading the faith, just didn't come up.

Mainstream Sunnis see them as separate regardless of what Salafi says. A wolf in lamb's clothing will say he's a lamb while lambs will say he's not. Will you believe the wolf or lambs?

No they don't.
Infact, the stats show very clearly that the "mainstream" Sunnis agree a whole lot with the Salafists.
The only difference is that Salafists are willing to take things into their own hands to apply it.
I'm sure you can see any thread here about Islam and you'll see the dozens of stats shared made by reputable organizations like PEW research and the likes.

You aren't if you're discussing the application of laws in the present.

Those laws are the direct application of this theology.

Also Shias base themselves on the same text. They're still Muslim.

Actually no. Most Shia sects don't recognize much of the Hadith. So, no, the source material is not all the same.
Ofcourse there are also some branches who have several differences in their Quran as well.

You're right, they can choose the interpretation.

I think you misunderstood me. 'Amal is below Quran and Hadith.

You're basically agreeing with me.

Only the Foro' and the prophecies are open to interpretation.
The Osol are not. The Quran it self says it when it states:
تِلْكَ حُدُودُ اللَّهِ فَلَا تَقْرَبُوهَا

تِلْكَ حُدُودُ اللَّهِ فَلَا تَعْتَدُوهَا

The Quran's verses are split into 2 types, Osol w Foro'.
Osol specify primary rules, basic principles, basic laws and rights.
Those are constant.
Foro' specify everything else, and is primarily based in the Quran but explained in the Hadith.

The Osol are not open for interpretation since those are the basic foundations of the religion.
The fact that you don't seem to understand this inclines you haven't ever done any research regarding the topic and just speaking on your own whims.

I want proof not your speculation.

You want proof that Muslims believe the Quran is the word of god?
And you claim to have read the Quran now do you?

The Quran is generally less extreme if you don't include the Hadith.

Less extreme doesn't mean it's not extreme.
Since you've read the Quran, I'm sure you've came across the parts with the crucifixions, mutilations, lashes, and all the burning fire stuff.
Not extreme at all.

I have my reservations about that. Even if it's not liberal, there are other aspects of the Ayatollah's regime that most people would find objectionable.

Iran is a federation. Some provinces apply Sharia, some don't, and some in between.
The population that follows the clerics is by definition conservative since it's taking decrees and rulings from clerics.

The "Ayatollah's regime" isn't a thing.
Your life and what type of laws you need to abide by in Iran depends on where you live.
Each provincial government applies its own laws.
e.g. why Provincial elections get much higher turn out than those of the assembly or the presidency.

So Iranians are just victims of history and circumstance while Arabs and Sunnis are animals who only behave in specific way due to "ideology".

Not really, no.
Any nation that spends decades under blockade will end up becoming more right wing and trusting of populists.
The difference is that the Hanbali cults aren't being blockaded, they have all the wealth and links and protections they want.
So yes, people like the Wahabis are just savage animals.

Depends on the interpretation. It's not like Muhammad's here to correct them.

If they believe in Islam, then they believe they'll meet their god one day and he sure will correct them.

They do set the time period, just orally.

Then it's not temporary marriage, since temporary marriage (Mut'a) is based on the contract.
Playing the rules and saying it orally is meaningless since they'll be faced with the same rules as any other regular marriage (in Islamic context).
Like for example, a woman engaging in temporary marriage doesn't have to wait 3 months before she can marry again, while one that is engaged in regular one and sat the period "orally" does.
I know right?, it's as if the part where it says the regular rules apply, they are actually serious.

According to who. The Quran and Hadiths are a book and a pile of scrolls. They are no authority.

They are to Muslims.
Infact, they're pretty much most of Islam on their own.

Prove it.

Adultery:
وَلَا تَقْرَبُوا الزِّنَا إِنَّهُ كَانَ فَاحِشَةً وَسَاءَ سَبِيلًا

سُورَةٌ أَنْزَلْنَاهَا وَفَرَضْنَاهَا وَأَنْزَلْنَا فِيهَا آيَاتٍ بَيِّنَاتٍ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ (1) الزَّانِيَةُ وَالزَّانِي فَاجْلِدُوا كُلَّ وَاحِدٍ مِنْهُمَا مِائَةَ جَلْدَةٍ وَلَا تَأْخُذْكُمْ بِهِمَا رَأْفَةٌ فِي دِينِ اللَّهِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَلْيَشْهَدْ عَذَابَهُمَا طَائِفَةٌ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ (2) الزَّانِي لَا يَنْكِحُ إِلَّا زَانِيَةً أَوْ مُشْرِكَةً وَالزَّانِيَةُ لَا يَنْكِحُهَا إِلَّا زَانٍ أَوْ مُشْرِكٌ وَحُرِّمَ ذَلِكَ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ (3) وَالَّذِينَ يَرْمُونَ الْمُحْصَنَاتِ ثُمَّ لَمْ يَأْتُوا بِأَرْبَعَةِ شُهَدَاءَ فَاجْلِدُوهُمْ ثَمَانِينَ جَلْدَةً وَلَا تَقْبَلُوا لَهُمْ شَهَادَةً أَبَدًا وَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ (4) إِلَّا الَّذِينَ تَابُوا مِنْ بَعْدِ ذَلِكَ وَأَصْلَحُوا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ (5) وَالَّذِينَ يَرْمُونَ أَزْوَاجَهُمْ وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُمْ شُهَدَاءُ إِلَّا أَنْفُسُهُمْ فَشَهَادَةُ أَحَدِهِمْ أَرْبَعُ شَهَادَاتٍ بِاللَّهِ إِنَّهُ لَمِنَ الصَّادِقِينَ (6) وَالْخَامِسَةُ أَنَّ لَعْنَتَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ إِنْ كَانَ مِنَ الْكَاذِبِينَ (7) وَيَدْرَأُ عَنْهَا الْعَذَابَ أَنْ تَشْهَدَ أَرْبَعَ شَهَادَاتٍ بِاللَّهِ إِنَّهُ لَمِنَ الْكَاذِبِينَ (8) وَالْخَامِسَةَ أَنَّ غَضَبَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهَا إِنْ كَانَ مِنَ الصَّادِقِينَ (9))

وَالَّذِينَ لَا يَدْعُونَ مَعَ اللَّهِ إِلَهًا آخَرَ وَلَا يَقْتُلُونَ النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلَّا بِالْحَقِّ وَلَا يَزْنُونَ وَمَنْ يَفْعَلْ ذَلِكَ يَلْقَ أَثَامًا (68)

{وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ لِفُرُوجِهِمْ حَافِظُونَ * إِلَّا عَلَى أَزْوَاجِهِمْ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُمْ فَإِنَّهُمْ غَيْرُ مَلُومِينَ * فَمَنِ ابْتَغَى وَرَاءَ ذَلِكَ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْعَادُونَ}

{وَالَّذِينَ لَا يَدْعُونَ مَعَ اللَّهِ إِلَهًا آخَرَ وَلَا يَقْتُلُونَ النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلَّا بِالْحَقِّ وَلَا يَزْنُونَ وَمَنْ يَفْعَلْ ذَلِكَ يَلْقَ أَثَامًا * يُضَاعَفْ لَهُ الْعَذَابُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَيَخْلُدْ فِيهِ مُهَانً}

etc
Not only adultery is forbidden, but those who do it are also described as "enemies of god" and promised severe punishment by god himself multiple times in the Quran.
I don't think that's much open to interpretation.

Regarding Alcohol:
يَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الْخَمْرِ وَالْمَيْسِرِ قُلْ فِيهِمَا إِثْمٌ كَبِيرٌ وَمَنَافِعُ لِلنَّاسِ وَإِثْمُهُمَا أَكْبَرُ مِنْ نَفْعِهِمَا وَيَسْأَلُونَكَ مَاذَا يُنْفِقُونَ قُلِ الْعَفْوَ كَذَلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللَّهُ لَكُمُ الْآيَاتِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَفَكَّرُونَ

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِنَّمَا الْخَمْرُ وَالْمَيْسِرُ وَالْأَنْصَابُ وَالْأَزْلَامُ رِجْسٌ مِنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ فَاجْتَنِبُوهُ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ (90) إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ الشَّيْطَانُ أَنْ يُوقِعَ بَيْنَكُمُ الْعَدَاوَةَ وَالْبَغْضَاءَ فِي الْخَمْرِ وَالْمَيْسِرِ وَيَصُدَّكُمْ عَنْ ذِكْرِ اللَّهِ وَعَنِ الصَّلَاةِ فَهَلْ أَنْتُمْ مُنْتَهُونَ (91) وَأَطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَأَطِيعُوا الرَّسُولَ وَاحْذَرُوا فَإِنْ تَوَلَّيْتُمْ فَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّمَا عَلَى رَسُولِنَا الْبَلَاغُ الْمُبِينُ

etc

Most of the people who bother to apply Sunni laws at all are Salafis and their interpretation informs they're beliefs.

And a good portion of Sunnis than you think agree with them, just not brave enough to do it themselves.
Because Salafis are just what conservative Sunnis are called.

I've been trying to argue that Sunnis can pick and choose scholars and that those scholars can come up with whatever interpretation they'd like. Actual 'alims-in-training, muftis, and mullanas I've talked to told me this that, even if the mainstream scholarly community rejects a scholar and even if the scholar says weird stuff, Sunnis would still be able to follow them.

Really? You've talked to some Muftis and Mullah? What's their names? quote them directly.
Because they seem to have missed a few bits. Like, the Quran and the Hadith.

And if they do whose going to stop them? And what if a majority of the Sunni population supports their interpretation? What are you going to do then?

In the context of Islam, their opinion doesn't matter.
You don't seem to understand that in Islam, God is the absolute authority, it's not a democracy.
As far as it goes, if 99.9% of all Muslims disagree with the Quran, then it doesn't matter because God is the absolute authority and not a single one of their opinions matter, only God's words count.

In fact, in one of the prophecies, it is addressed how the majority of Muslims are indeed going to hell.
You know, the one with 73 sects, all but one will go to hell.
"افترقت اليهود على إحدى وسبعين فرقةً، فواحدةٌ في الجنة وسبعون في النار، وافترقت النصارى على اثنتين وسبعين فرقةً، إحدى وسبعون في النار وواحدة في الجنة، والذي نَفْسُ محمَّدٍ بيده لَتَفْتَرِقَنَّ أمتي على ثلاث وسبعين فرقة، فواحدة في الجنة، واثنتان وسبعون في النار"

And this hadith is agreed on by all primary sources.
It's a Hadith Hasan Sahih. So it's agreed upon.

Silly anasawad, influencing people and their behavior is political power.

It's not. Influence and power are two separate things.

Well I'd like to see God himself come down and say otherwise.

If you follow Islam, then you believe that God made those rules and believe in heaven and hell with hell being there to punish those who broke them.
Your beliefs, not mine.

And the Guardian council let's him tell them to do what he wants them to do.

The guardian council is split between the Parliament, the supreme court, occasionally regional governments, and the Faqih.
With the Guardian council being there to supervise the government.
It doesn't actually administrate anything either.

Yeah they are, you just have a rose tinted view of Protestants.

They literally allied with each other because they're so similar.

Alliances mean nothing.
Protestant doctrine is nothing like that of Sunni Islam.

And? That doesn't mean it's accepted by Iranian society (at least the Iranian I talked to disagreed with it. I thought Iranians were so liberal before this).

He decreed its allowed dumby.

It is. There's like a whole set of conditions. Sure they rule for life but they're still initially elected.

In Sunni Islam, Al Shura is done by the wise men and women of society, those with significant knowledge in a given field.
Al Bai'a is the one the involves regular people.

In Shia Islam, the two are merged together under the Imama (not Imam, Imama)

Scholars have been breaking those rules for centuries. Sunni ones too.

No they haven't.
No one questions the Osol. Not Sunni scholars atleast.

Then why was it done 67 years before then?

It wasn't. The Gutenberg bible wasn't translated.

No. It isn't. Raqqa wasn't conservative back in the 80s when farmers were given control of land owned by their landonwers. Only after Raqqa got worse economically due to sanctions did it become religious. I remember by grandaunt told me that women in Raqqa in the 80s used to not wear hijab and wore mini-skirts.

Which sanctions?

Ooh, you mean to tell me that this massive flip just happened in a couple of years.
Sure, that's totally how societies work.

That's not how economics works and in another conversation we had, I posted proof that most Islamic finance isn't actually Islamic..

When you refuse to take or give interest, that's not good for the economy.
When you refuse to deal with recreational goods like Alcohol for exaple, that's not good for the economy.
When half of your fashion stores are empty because something just cant be worn, that's not good for the economy.
When half your shops take long breaks every few hours for prayers in the busy time of the day, that's not good for the economy (and I've seen this myself in areas like Qamishli).
etc.
By Palmyrene

I do, and the mainly reason secularism managed to take hold in Europe is because the reformation and the religious wars it entailed weakened the Church enough for that to happen.

The church wasn't weakened, it grew stronger in reaction to the Reformation not to mention all the new Churches that were being founded. Britain started the Anglican Church after it converted to Protestantism.

Furthermore I highly doubt you have any actual evidence supporting this claim.

The same as had happened in China.

The emperor is a completely different kind of religious authority compared to Europe or the Middle East.

They haven't. And they still don't exist in the Islamic world for the most part.

1. They have Aquinas, Leibniz, Descartes, and Machiavelli all discovered so-called "enlightenment values" before the Enlightenment.

2. This is why I specified the Abbasid Era. They're not very popular today but I wasn't talking about today or even yesterday.

Nationalism came way latter.

First off, its later not latter. Secondly, during the Enlightenment period we saw the emergence of the Westphalian state, otherwise known as the nation-state, which was built on ideas of nationalism. Third, romanticism is not nationalism, it's just an extrapolation upon the previous concepts of nationalism in the Enlightenment.

The Gutenberg bibble is in Latin.
All bibles were in Latin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenberg_Bible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_tra ... ern_period

Not the 36-line bible which cane shortly after the Gutensburg Bible nor the Eggestein Bible.

So you read the Quran, but just didn't come across all the parts about banning and killing and spreading the faith, just didn't come up.

Like I said, not as bad as the Hadith or other religious texts.

And let's not forget that you can often interpret those in different ways.

No they don't.

Yeah no. Don't even try to convince me otherwise because I've lived amongst Sunnis my entire life and talked to alims on the issue, and they all oppose it.

What PEW says are the thoughts of Muslims in Europe is irrelevant both to the my experiences and theirs.

Those laws are the direct application of this theology.

I'm sure ISIS banning hijabs is a direct application of theology.

Or the fact that many Islamic laws give out interest loans but with a different name.

Actually no. Most Shia sects don't recognize much of the Hadith. So, no, the source material is not all the same.

I was referring to the Quran. And even amongst Sunnis there are now discussions about what is and isn't a valid Hadith.

Only the Foro' and the prophecies are open to interpretation.
The Osol are not. The Quran it self says it when it states:

The Quran's verses are split into 2 types, Osol w Foro'.
Osol specify primary rules, basic principles, basic laws and rights.
Those are constant.
Foro' specify everything else, and is primarily based in the Quran but explained in the Hadith.

The Osol are not open for interpretation since those are the basic foundations of the religion.
The fact that you don't seem to understand this inclines you haven't ever done any research regarding the topic and just speaking on your own whims.

You don't understand. Religion evolves based on the whims of the people, not the other way around. It doesn't matter what the theology says. Sunnism is structured in a way that scholars can come along and offer their ideas and Sunnis can choose. That's the way it's supposed to theoretically work.

You want proof that Muslims believe the Quran is the word of god?

No. I want proof of this:

Less extreme doesn't mean it's not extreme.

Never said it wasn't extreme just less extreme.

Iran is a federation. Some provinces apply Sharia, some don't, and some in between.
The population that follows the clerics is by definition conservative since it's taking decrees and rulings from clerics.

That's not the only thing I was referring to.

Not really, no.
Any nation that spends decades under blockade will end up becoming more right wing and trusting of populists.
The difference is that the Hanbali cults aren't being blockaded, they have all the wealth and links and protections they want.
So yes, people like the Wahabis are just savage animals.

You just spent a whole paragraph talking about Raqqa and Jaziera. You know, two places in Syria which is facing sanctions. Far more heavier sanctions than Iran. At least Iran has Europe, Syria's got jackshit.

And given you claimed that Raqqa was Hanbali you've got some explaining to do.

If they believe in Islam, then they believe they'll meet their god one day and he sure will correct them.

After they're dead. Furthermore the Quran says that if someone misleads you in the case of Islam, you won't be held accountable for following that person.

Then it's not temporary marriage, since temporary marriage (Mut'a) is based on the contract.
Playing the rules and saying it orally is meaningless since they'll be faced with the same rules as any other regular marriage (in Islamic context).
Like for example, a woman engaging in temporary marriage doesn't have to wait 3 months before she can marry again, while one that is engaged in regular one and sat the period "orally" does.
I know right?, it's as if the part where it says the regular rules apply, they are actually serious.

Yeah it's a loophole but a good one nonetheless.

They are to Muslims.
Infact, they're pretty much most of Islam on their own.

My point is that there is no one to tell them that their interpretation of Islam is wrong.

Adultery:

etc
Not only adultery is forbidden, but those who do it are also described as "enemies of god" and promised severe punishment by god himself multiple times in the Quran.
I don't think that's much open to interpretation.

That has nothing to do with muta'a which is temporary marriage.

Regarding Alcohol:

You can regard beer as permissible. Russian Sunni Muslims drink alcohol with the ruling that it's permissible as long as you don't drink wine.

And a good portion of Sunnis than you think agree with them, just not brave enough to do it themselves.

Yeah no. Your claims completely contradict my experiences. It's like you live in la la land.

Really? You've talked to some Muftis and Mullah? What's their names? quote them directly.

I'm not going to tell you their names so you can go pester them or something and say "hey Palmyrene told them this, is it true?" or something stupid like that. Because they have online presence and if you talk to them it'll be embarassing.

You don't have to believe me, I don't care. You're going to have to stop asking me about my personal life.

Because they seem to have missed a few bits. Like, the Quran and the Hadith.

They'll probably call you out on this by bringing up a fiqh book written in the 1800s but to drive the point home, exactly. That's exactly what I was trying to tell you the entire time! Scholars can interpret the texts however they would like.

In the context of Islam, their opinion doesn't matter.

In the context of everything that matters, yes it does. If an interpretation gets loads of popularity, like it or not, that's Islam.

This is exactly why Saudi Arabia is succeeded despite thousanda of Muslim scholars coming together to discredit their ideology.

You don't seem to understand that in Islam, God is the absolute authority, it's not a democracy.

God doesn't exist and all Muslims can speak for God through their interpretation so I guess everyone is an authority.

Honestly you need lay some boundaries since you're trying to apply what strictly theological to reality. Both are fundamentally different.

And you think that theology effects people and that doesn't change which is retarded because ignores not only all of Islamic history, Islam, and scholars, but all religion.

So you're being contradictory as fuck.

It's not. Influence and power are two separate things.

They aren't. Authorities don't have absolute control over their populations, they influence them.

If you follow Islam, then you believe that God made those rules and believe in heaven and hell with hell being there to punish those who broke them.

What rules? I have different rules from other people.

Your beliefs, not mine.

Who said those are my beliefs?

The guardian council is split between the Parliament, the supreme court, occasionally regional governments, and the Faqih.
With the Guardian council being there to supervise the government.
It doesn't actually administrate anything either.

I'm talking about influence.

Alliances mean nothing.
Protestant doctrine is nothing like that of Sunni Islam.

They allied specifically because there were similarities.

He decreed its allowed dumby.

"Dumby"

Decrees don't suddenly make everyone support it.

In Sunni Islam, Al Shura is done by the wise men and women of society, those with significant knowledge in a given field.
Al Bai'a is the one the involves regular people.

Ok, read about Majlis-ash-Shura.

No they haven't.
No one questions the Osol. Not Sunni scholars atleast.

I'm 99% sure you just read into Salafi scholar.

Like you're mad Salafi right now.

It wasn't. The Gutenberg bible wasn't translated.

Yeah it was.

Which sanctions?

Are you serious right now?

Ooh, you mean to tell me that this massive flip just happened in a couple of years.
Sure, that's totally how societies work.

How long do you think sanctions have been going on?

When you refuse to take or give interest, that's not good for the economy.

Most Islamic banks give out and take. interest they just do so with a different name.

When you refuse to deal with recreational goods like Alcohol for exaple, that's not good for the economy.

Most Islamic states do deal with alcohol. Do you seriously think all those coffeehouses sell only coffee?

When half of your fashion stores are empty because something just cant be worn, that's not good for the economy.

You underestimate the amount of hijabs a woman can buy.

When half your shops take long breaks every few hours for prayers in the busy time of the day, that's not good for the economy (and I've seen this myself in areas like Qamishli).
etc.

I've seen people pray later if it's a busy day.

@FiveofSwords A dollar bill is a physical thin[…]

God dammit, Rich. This is like whenever anyone b[…]

The cost-of-living crisis is so bleak that some G[…]

wat0n , I think I found a quote that might help b[…]