Should Obama Refuse the Nobel Prize? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Answer

Yes
63%
No
34%
Other
3%
By DanDaMan
Something stinks when the nomination deadline was less than two weeks after his presidency began. :eh:
Last edited by DanDaMan on 09 Oct 2009 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
By Brio
Yes. I would have a lot of respect for him if he did.

Either that or accept it and donate the $1.4 million to me. :D
By Captain Sam
He should. He'll probably get nominated once again 4 years later if he does turn it down now.
By Average Voter
He should take it. The poor judgement would be fron the institute's side for offering it, not Obama's side for accepting it. I think they should give it another three or more years when they would have sound judgement because so far Obama has just been all talk and little play. Who were the alternatives to Obama anyway?

If Obama does refuse it and pretends to be modest, though, that would improve his image as a defender of peace more than accepting the prize would.
By Dr House
He should, yeah.
By Guillotine
On one hand, the U.S. I suspect will be pretty split on his award. So it would be better internally. But how would the rest of the world react to Obama snubbing the Nobel committee?
By Nets
Arafat has one, which would make me decline one if offered.
By Rodion
Yes. He has done nothing - not a bloody thing - to advance the cause of peace. Also this:

Nets wrote:Arafat has one, which would make me decline one if offered.
By Brio
Nets wrote:Arafat has one, which would make me decline one if offered.

Likewise, Henry Kissinger has one and Al Gore got one for essentially a power point presentation. Although if you are being honest with yourself, would you really turn down the prize money?
By hannigaholic
Yes

If Obama has any integrity, he'd accept that he has done nothing to deserve the prize.
By Brio
Paradigm wrote:I wouldn't, but I don't have two best-selling books.

I was referring to Nets claim that he would decline the Peace prize (and the money) if it was offered to him on the principle that it is tarnished for having Arafat as a previous winner. I agree that Obama is not hurting for money at all and he should probably turn down the prize.
By Little von
He already said that he did not deserve it when he verbally accepted it. That was enough. Any more bitching about it should be directed to the Nobel Peace Prize committee.

Obama is the best president we have had since FDR. All you Obama haters are as un American as one can get. I don't think Obama deserved to win the Nobel Prize, either, but the way some of you are slamming the potus about it is pathetic.
Last edited by Little von on 09 Oct 2009 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
By Nets
Obama is the best president we have had since FDR.

Could you elaborate?
By Potemkin
It would look very bad on the international stage if Obama refused to accept it. It would be interpreted as a snub to the Nobel Committee, and would imply to the international community that he is not seeking to mend the fences which Bush broke. Besides, Obama has stated that he doesn't think he deserves it; that's good enough. I suspect, however, that the Nobel Committee is playing politics here in a rather subtle way - by awarding him the Prize, they are challenging him to actually live up to it (which is probably partly what motivated them to give the Peace Prize to Arafat). They are nudging him, in the nicest possible way, in a policy direction they want him to go. That aim can best be accomplished by awarding him the prize as early as possible, rather than waiting a few years.
By DanDaMan
All you Obama haters are as un American as one can get
I agree!
Lets' ship them all off to the EU!
Starting with the Bush haters first!
By Paradigm
Potemkin wrote:It would look very bad on the international stage if Obama refused to accept it.

Yes, that is something I've considered. But I figure if he claimed that he wanted to wait until he earned it, it might look more like humility than a snub. Maybe not. What's done is done, and it's probably best that he accept it.

They are nudging him, in the nicest possible way, in a policy direction they want him to go. That aim can best be accomplished by awarding him the prize as early as possible, rather than waiting a few years.

I still think it would've been better if they had waited a year. Then again, since mid-term elections are next year, that might come off as a duplicitous "October surprise."

Anyway, I think he played it well:
I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee.

Let me be clear, I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize, men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build, a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents.

And I know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.
Last edited by Paradigm on 09 Oct 2009 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
By Lightman
Obama does not deserve the prize. However, I still believe he should accept it: to do otherwise would injure America's standing in the world.

@Deutschmania , @wat0n The definition of auth[…]

@QatzelOk calling another person a liar is not a[…]

Race is scientifically arbitrary. It was created […]

Well domestication was just a beneficial adaptati[…]