Is violence ever justified? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is violence ever justified?

Yes, but only between states.
4%
Yes, by any actor.
72%
No, never.
7%
Other
16%
By Cartertonian
Wot Thompson said.

Additional caveat to his, though...

Just because it may be justified does not mean that it is always justified. If your use of violence to political ends is to, say, subjugate entire other groups of people - take Sadaam and the Ba'ath party's violence against Iraq's Shia population, for example - that would not be justified.
By Doug64
Yes, by any actor. Any society not based on this will soon be divided between sheep and wolves.
By Dave

I'd rather not return to the pre-Westphalian days.
By Bosnjak
Other, depends on the motive.

When a state is not-democratic, then is every form violence against this kind of state justified.

In a democracy, no, you have no reason to do violence in a democracy, you can change your society by elections.
Last edited by Bosnjak on 29 Jul 2011 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
By Chill
Bosnjak wrote:In a democracy, no, you have no reason to do violence in a democracy, you can change your society by elections.

This should be in today's top ten news...
By Daktoria
Gotta love a thread about justification where no justifications are given. :roll:
By Fitzcarraldo
By Oxymoron
personal opinion andropov, If I feel like punching someone in the face I will do so.
By Chill
Oxymoron wrote:If I feel like punching someone in the face I will do so.

So does the police.
By Daktoria
Andropov wrote:What does it mean for something to be "justified"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_set_theory

Basically, justification is that which makes a certain category of entities or events distinguishable from what already exists.

Ergo, aggression is unjustified because a world ruled by aggression reverts the status of people to natural objects such that there's no reason to acknowledge aggressive people as even existing.
By Allerton
Yes - By any actor.

Of course, it varies from case to case. As a society, we tolerate a certain level of violence to either maintain or change the status quo.
By Andropov
Other- If the violence benefits civilization, yes, and if it doesn't, no.
By Wolfman
Other: only under certain conditions, and the conditions are different based on the actor.

State Actors are only justified in using violence if it is in the protection of the State (but not necessarily the Government)

Non-State Actors are only justified in using violence if the actions of the government are objectively damaging the State, and legal means have been exhausted.
By J Oswald
Yes, by any actor.

With the caveat that Cartertonian added.

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]