Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Was Jesus Christ a Good Person?

Yes
34
53%
No
7
11%
Other
23
36%
#13900146
Orestes wrote:Kind of right, but kind of wrong.

There is other evidence that counts against this passage, but I don't have my reference materials to hand and I can't rememberer the details. However vitually every scholar actually accepts that Christians doctored the passage even if they don't accept it was outright invented. Christians continually misrepresent this.
'm atheist personally, but I just don't get this fervour in trying to prove no matter what that Jesus never existed. I think he was just a successful con artist from Palestine and that is that, why go all these lenghts against the currently dominating view in scholarship ?

Well I'd had my fill of Christianity by the age of five but was forced to listen to their garbage until the age of thirteen. I'm angry that I was systematically deceived by Christians, my position and ignorance as a child was totally abused and I was denied access to basic 19th century biblical scholarship. Children are still being systematically abused in this way denied access to basic facts and analysis which would allow them to make a slightly more balanced view of Christian claims. Now I guess its a bit optimistic to hope that children in Sunday school's attention would be drawn to the strange silence and lack of interest in the life of Jesus not just by Paul but by the other earliest Christian writers such as the authors of James, Hebrews and 1 Peter.

However the questionableness of Jesus' existence let alone the wilder Christian claim's can be seen through one simple fact: Supposedly the most important event in the whole of the human and the universes history and people couldn't even remember which utterly memorable day it happened on. Was Jesus crucified on the day of the Paschal sacrifice (as in John) or the day after (as in the Synoptics)? and of course the related question of whether the last supper was a Paschal meal. This is like if people couldn't agree whether the Twin towers and Pentagon attacks happened on Christmas eve or Christmas day. People tend to remember shit like that. Of course the Occam's razor answer is that the ritual explains the myth rather than the myth explaining the ritual. The early Christians had a Eucharist ritual that resembled the Paschal meal, so the early( but still after the ritual has arisen/ developed) Christian story tellers set Jesus's death at the time of the Passover to explain the similarity.

Here's a snappy 6 minute introduction to the problems of Jesus' historicity: The God who wasn't there!
#13900610
Jesus Christ was not a good person in my opinion:

He made promises he didn't keep, such as vowing to rid the world of the wicked. There are still plenty of wicked people around, so that was a lie.

He advised people to not save money and not to plan for the future, but instead to give all your belongings away to the poor. This is very bad and stupid advice.

He supported slavery and even said that he thinks slaves deserve to be whipped and beaten.

He threatened people with an eternity in physical pain simply if they didn't believe in his twisted views about the world.

He took credit for the golden rule, as if he invented it, even though many cultures practiced this before he existed.

He willfully committed suicide by allowing himself to be tied up on a cross and crucified.
#13900836
really, TruePolitics? Are you really that ignorant of what Jesus actually said? I was raised a RC so I'll address this ignorance.
TruePolitics wrote:He made promises he didn't keep, such as vowing to rid the world of the wicked. There are still plenty of wicked people around, so that was a lie.
We were given Choice. He said when he came back, he would. Has he?

TruePolitics wrote:He advised people to not save money and not to plan for the future, but instead to give all your belongings away to the poor. This is very bad and stupid advice.
it's only bad from your point of view. If everyone did it, there would be no poor.

TruePolitics wrote:He supported slavery and even said that he thinks slaves deserve to be whipped and beaten.
prove it. Where's your source for this?

TruePolitics wrote:He threatened people with an eternity in physical pain simply if they didn't believe in his twisted views about the world.
You're talking nonsense. he told them what would happen. There was never any "threat", and he was not the one doing it.

TruePolitics wrote:He took credit for the golden rule, as if he invented it, even though many cultures practiced this before he existed.
I wasn't aware that he copyrighted it. This was also a "golden rule" before Jesus was ever around, so you're wrong, when attribute it to him.

TruePolitics wrote:He willfully committed suicide by allowing himself to be tied up on a cross and crucified.
He was arrested. He didn't fight the people arresting him because he was a pacifist, and he asked that his disciples not cause bloodshed, on his behalf, either. His death was at the request of the Jewish leadership, since the Roman judge washed his hands of the thing. It was a political execution.

Are you going to say that Nelson Mandela wanted to be imprisoned? It makes as much sense, and is just as idiotic.

[quote"TruePolitics"]The God of the Bible that is.[/quote] Yeah, not Jesus.

I'm not a religious person(atheist) and I can point out the gaping flaws in your reasoning
#13900853
We were given Choice. He said when he came back, he would. Has he?


No...so that's 2 lies he's told.

it's only bad from your point of view. If everyone did it, there would be no poor.


If everyone did it, no one would have any money left.

prove it. Where's your source for this?


Look it up.

You're talking nonsense. he told them what would happen. There was never any "threat", and he was not the one doing it.


If you don't abandon your house right now and take all your belongings with you, I'm going to burn it down. I'm not making a threat, I'm just letting you know what will happen if you don't.

He was arrested. He didn't fight the people arresting him because he was a pacifist, and he asked that his disciples not cause bloodshed, on his behalf, either. His death was at the request of the Jewish leadership, since the Roman judge washed his hands of the thing. It was a political execution


He planned it from the beginning, so it was by his own will that he was killed. It was divine plan remember?
#13900864
He planned it from the beginning, so it was by his own will that he was killed. It was divine plan remember?
If it was a divine plan, it was necessary for the salvation of mankind. If it wasn't, there was no plan.
#13900868
TruePolitics wrote:No...so that's 2 lies he's told.
:roll: Predictions of things to come are not lies unless you can prove that they are never going to happen. Can you?

TruePolitics wrote:If everyone did it, no one would have any money left.
:eh: No. We'd all have enough to live on. You do know he didn't mean for everyone to live on the streets and starve to death, right? His beef was with the RICH, which is something you obviously fail to understand.

TruePolitics wrote:Look it up.
You look it up and source it. You're the one making the absurd claim. Be prepared to back it up your claims.

TruePolitics wrote:If you don't abandon your house right now and take all your belongings with you, I'm going to burn it down. I'm not making a threat, I'm just letting you know what will happen if you don't.
He never said that, and you know it. If I say you'll go to hell if you are a miserable ass, I'm not making a threat. I'm pointing out an inevitability. Jesus never said, " I will send you to hell.", EVER.

TruePolitics wrote:He planned it from the beginning, so it was by his own will that he was killed.
He never nailed himself to the cross, so your reasoning is flawed. The authorities of the time did so, because he was considered a subversive.

TruePolitics wrote:It was divine plan remember?
Jesus was not God, was he?
#13900890
Jesus was not God, was he?
Didn't you just say that you're a former Roman Catholic? :eh:
#13900898
TruePolitics wrote:He threatened people with an eternity in physical pain simply if they didn't believe in his twisted views about the world

I don't think so. God is merciful, and nothing in the "fire and brimstone for ever and ever" stuff is merciful. We wouldn't punished the worst amongst us that severely, and I seriously doubt any of us is holier than God. This puts hell into the category of "stuff taught by Christ by way of allegory"; and taught by various religious organisations to control the congregations.

TruePolitics wrote:He willfully committed suicide by allowing himself to be tied up on a cross and crucified.

He knew what awaited Him long before He made that fateful trip into Jerusalem, and He recognised it as His fate, destiny. He didn't commit suicide, He followed orders.
#13900940
According to my own divine revelation, Jesus Christ was a bully in heaven. He beats us up and other angels and saints. One reason why He has to be crucified and die on the Cross. Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin thought Jesus Christ was coming back as a Jew. They cannot identify Christ. So they committed genocide on the Jews. Jesus is simply trouble. He too is the number 1 violator of the right to privacy in his Biblical verse, "Our bitterest enemy is our socialist, Leftist, communist and terrorist household member". He freakin hates me for being poor and He being rich. "Blessed are the poor for they shall inherit the Kingdom of Heaven". So he is pairing me with a relative whom I cannot get along with. This is no joke. I like to think of it as a joke. But he is serious. Christ exists. ".....my vineyards in Spain..." Was Jesus Christ a good person? My answer was NO or else I would be a hypocrite. C'mon he'll beat us all up in Heaven!! Jesus Christ too, according to my good, liberal and sophisticated God who does not mind divorce as long as you are not going to kill Him (God), is a tax evader...and greedy..capitalist..My company bosses are BETTER than Christ..Tarantado si Cristo!
#13901055
Didn't you just say that you're a former Roman Catholic?
I never said I believed it. If Jesus WAS God, then why the contradiction when he says, “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken Me?”, ? Seems at odds with that. :hmm:

Then again, contradiction is nothing new in the Bible, is it?
#13901069
Publius wrote:Other: Jesus, like all mythical figures is not real. But, as portrayed, not a bad guy.
My thoughts exactly. The character was a good person, but he wasn't real. Or at least there is no physical proofs of his existence. Even worse, there's counterproofs.
The Leaks Keep on Coming

In a surprise twist, everyone and everything aroun[…]

Very interesting find http://cdn.phys.[…]

I think you nailed it SO. I am not even sure what[…]

So when Pokemon Go came out, how disappointed wer[…]