Should the US president use a sash? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should the US have a presidential sash?

Yes
19%
No
74%
Other
7%
Maybe if Rubio becomes President, he could use a sash. What other way to commemorate America's transition to a banana republic by having a corrupt político as President?
Smertios that Obama impersonator photo you posted only supports my theory that we would wind up with a really stupid looking sash. That doesn't look aesthetically desirable to me at all. Very banana republic indeed.
Alpha/S. wrote:Smertios that Obama impersonator photo you posted only supports my theory that we would wind up with a really stupid looking sash. That doesn't look aesthetically desirable to me at all. Very banana republic indeed.

Well, what's your opinion on the Uruguayan Presidential sash, then? It is basically the same, but with different colors:

Prosthetic Conscience wrote:Yes; and it should read "MR. USA" in big letters, to remind people that US presidential elections are a glorified beauty contest (apart from the bit where the contestants promise to work for world peace).

Considering Obama won (sorry, was given) a peace prize for doing nothing more than being half-black and not being George Bush, I think even the "promise to work for world peace" applies.
Well, what's your opinion on the Uruguayan Presidential sash, then?

It needs to be larger than the president's eyebrows.
Smertios wrote:Hmm, wasn't Tuđman the guy who broke up with the communists in Yugoslavia and managed to enforce independence? How can any Croatian be against him?

That's pretty much the only good thing he did, but it's not like it wouldn't have happened under anyone else anyway.

The issue with this guy is that in the five years he ruled after the war, his rule was basically a populist-nationalist semi-dictatorship, but even worse, during the privatization of the economy him and his cronies literally plundered the people through their schemes, countless successful companies renowned from from before the war went bankrupt and the consequences are felt even now. He literally destroyed and plundered the Croatia he helped liberate.
Smertios wrote:Image
Governor General of Canada

The medal around his neck is the order of Canada. There are some 2'000 people who have it.
The Uruguayan sash doesn’t look as bad - it has a better pattern/color scheme and the coat of arms looks nice.

The American flag however seems to translate poorly as a sash (despite being nice overall) particularly in that example you showed. The stars/blue background doesn’t look right on there at all and the whole thing looks rather cartoonish. But this is precisely the kind of thing I think we’d wind up with, which is why it’s a bad idea. The current look, while a bit plain does fit more with American tradition. Also it is fitting that that our president dresses like a corporate executive - shows the interests they represent.

If I had to pick a sash I’d probably go more along the lines of the King of Sweden or Spain along with their overall look. However, those are monarchs and I think we can both agree they tend to be more dignified. The single color look works well, and I think a simple blue, red or white sash would be best. Though if I really wanted a leader who looks nice I’d be giving Hugo Boss a call.
Thunderhawk wrote:The medal around his neck is the order of Canada. There are some 2'000 people who have it.

Yes, pretty much. As Governor General, he is also Chancellor and First Companion of the Order of Canada (and a few others). That collar is teh insignia of a Companion of the Order of Canada. Officers and Members wear different types of insignia:

The three medals on his chest are, from left to right: the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada Medal, the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal, and the Canadian Forces Decoration.

There Governor General's office has an official guideline on how to wear the insignia with different types of clothing: http://www.gg.ca/honours/pdf/wearing_e.pdf

Alpha/S. wrote:The Uruguayan sash doesn’t look as bad - it has a better pattern/color scheme and the coat of arms looks nice.

The American flag however seems to translate poorly as a sash (despite being nice overall) particularly in that example you showed. The stars/blue background doesn’t look right on there at all and the whole thing looks rather cartoonish. But this is precisely the kind of thing I think we’d wind up with, which is why it’s a bad idea. The current look, while a bit plain does fit more with American tradition. Also it is fitting that that our president dresses like a corporate executive - shows the interests they represent.

Well, following the tradition, the sash would probably have 13 stripes alternating in red and white, with the American coat of arms in the center:

It would be very similar to the Uruguayan one, albeit in different colors.

If I had to pick a sash I’d probably go more along the lines of the King of Sweden or Spain along with their overall look. However, those are monarchs and I think we can both agree they tend to be more dignified. The single color look works well, and I think a simple blue, red or white sash would be best. Though if I really wanted a leader who looks nice I’d be giving Hugo Boss a call.

Well, those are basically order sashes. I don't know exactly what order the Spanish sash represents, but the Swedish one is that of the Royal Order of the Seraphim. They are not restricted to monarchies. I posted the picture of the Finnish president wearing one as well, for example.

If you look at the highest American decoration, the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction, the official insignia also includes a sash:

The difference is that the Governor General of Canada, for example, automatically becomes a Companion of the Order of Canada when he takes office. The President of the United States does not automatically gain a Medal of Freedom with Distinction.

Even in Latin American countries, the president will usually wear order sashes in special occasions, when wearing the presidential sash is not appropriate. For example, here is a picture of Lula wearing the sash of the Order of the Naval Merit:
BRICS will fail

BRICS involves one of several configurations emplo[…]

So you do justify October 7, but as I said lack th[…]

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]