Is BBC News Credible? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Political Orientation of BBC News

Strongly left
16%
Slightly left
23%
Centrist
9%
Slightly right
2%
Strongly right
No votes
0%
Political Establishment/Neoliberal
44%
I don't know
No votes
0%
UN/Communist/Global Warming Activist/Marxist
2%
I thought this poll was about Afro-Maghrebi nether-regions
2%
By DrSteveBrule
Amusingly, I've heard some conservatives say that BBC is a left wing propaganda outlet. I don't watch their programs that often, but their news seems to be more of a British-centric perspective that isn't left or right. It is definitely pro-establishment, as in neo-liberal in terms of economics and foreign policy. At the same time, their news seems to reflect neutrally or somewhat left on morality and social issues. I'm pretty sure that the lack of FOX news race-baiting and religious fundamentalism is what makes it "liberal".
It's the British state media.

So it has a bias for Britain. Obviously. This is actually very well known in academic circles, even if it's widely consumed at the same time. When I go to conferences, even if they're not Irish history conferences, a topic of conversation will often come up with the absurdities the BBC tries to get away with.

It will almost always marginalize colonized people and perspectives.

It will almost always take any chance it can to criticize the Catholic Church.

It will almost always portray Britain's role in the history of places as if they were misunderstood friends instead of conquering invaders.

It will almost always tow the British line, is what I'm saying. Even if it's critical of some policy, it's always because Britain is wonderful and benevolent and better than that.

Compare that with the American media, where if the station has a political line, it's because America is in ruins and is one bullet away from complete collapse and everyone has to get out there and murder everyone else because the dream is already dead.

So I wouldn't say the BBC has a bias to the right or left, but a bias for Britain. Stronger, even I'd say, than American stations have a bias toward the United States. If only because the British are half good with propaganda and the Americans are piss poor at any kind of subtlety.
By layman
The BBC's method of neutrality is to basically add up the number of complaints saying they are left/right wing and check they are equal.

Basically, their neutral is supposed to be the average of british opinion which seems as fair a way as any.

This would make them bias for Britain as goon says. Of course he goes too far as always. Allegations of anti-catholic bias etc simply reflect his own blatant animosity.
BBC News is a first class broadcaster. Yes, British quality. Even better than its American rivals.

But i can't say the same for BBC World. It hires foreign people and most of people it hires are not sane. Those idiots are all seculars and support tyrannies in the Middle East.
By Heinie
Regarding news and current affairs, the BBC keeps to the conservative Establishment line. It readily follows what the government wants the English people to think.
Laymen wrote:Allegations of anti-catholic bias etc simply reflect his own blatant animosity.

I have some skin in the game, of course. But, I mean, this is relatively well known. They [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–94_British_broadcasting_voice_restrictions]banned a party that was elected from parliament from being able to speak in the BBC[/url], I didn't record it as I didn't know it was be scrubbed—but they had a hit piece on Mother Teresa in order to try and bolster up Princess Di; and though I was having a lot of fun watching The Fall, I couldn't stop my eyes rolling enough to watch it when they decided that a murderer was committing sexual crimes, thus he must have been abused as a child, thus he must have been a Catholic. Sure, they had a token Catholic say something like, "Even as a Catholic, I have to admit that this is sound reasoning." Even though, of course (at least in the US where I've seen this studied) Protestants are abused more at churches than Catholics.

But maybe it's really not just the Catholicism as much as Catholicism in Britain has long since meant, "other." And in a lot of the coverage of colonial places and whatnot, it's shorthand to do so.

I am going to stress that this isn't so overt as to be super obvious. It's a bias of the BBC, and maybe the British in general, that makes one wince. No more, nor any different, than any other state's media in regard to religion maybe. But it's there.
By layman
I have some skin in the game, of course. But, I mean, this is relatively well known. They [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–94_British_broadcasting_voice_restrictions]banned a party that was elected from parliament from being able to speak in the BBC[/url], I didn't record it as I didn't know it was be scrubbed—but they had a hit piece on Mother Teresa in order to try and bolster up Princess Di; and though I was having a lot of fun watching The Fall, I couldn't stop my eyes rolling enough to watch it when they decided that a murderer was committing sexual crimes, thus he must have been abused as a child, thus he must have been a Catholic. Sure, they had a token Catholic say something like, "Even as a Catholic, I have to admit that this is sound reasoning." Even though, of course (at least in the US where I've seen this studied) Protestants are abused more at churches than Catholics.

I dont really think any of that shows an anti catholic bias and I already admited a British one. They are after all paid for by brits so that is to be expected to at least some extent. The clergy point is a fair one but literally fucking everyone in the world were saying the same shit and making an example of the Catholics. Also, to be fair, the massive structure of the catholic church makes its cover ups more sinister than the devolved protestant ones.

But maybe it's really not just the Catholicism as much as Catholicism in Britain has long since meant, "other." And in a lot of the coverage of colonial places and whatnot, it's shorthand to do so.

I just dont see it. I think you are seeing patterns where they dont exist. Is the BBC any less bias against Germany as they are protestant? Hell, maybe I just havnt noticed it all these years but it would be very odd.

BTW the BBC are generally made up of metropolitan liberal elites. They do tend to be left of center but they are also pro establishment.

I am going to stress that this isn't so overt as to be super obvious. It's a bias of the BBC, and maybe the British in general, that makes one wince. No more, nor any different, than any other state's media in regard to religion maybe. But it's there.

BBC is not really a state media. Its a public one. There is no mechanism for the government of the day to control what is said other than standard censorship like with gerry adams. This of course can apply to any media.

The shah of Iran didnt believe officials who told him that. He thought the diplomats were playing cute when they said they had no control. Of course I myself cannot be 100% sure of this but there you go. I have just never seen even any specific accusation of them avoiding stories to make the government of the day look good.
TIG wrote:banned a party that was elected from parliament from being able to speak in the BBC

They weren't banned for being Catholic, they were banned for being terrorists. It's no different to taking sanctions against IS/Daesh...for being terrorists, not because they are Muslim.

(I'm Catholic, by the way.)
By Fasces
It is an English language Western newspaper telling Western narratives to a Western audience, selecting these narratives based on their appeal to Western sensibilities, beliefs, or concerns.
By neopagan
I would say the editorial staff word their news coverage to present some things in a positive or negative light when they should be strictly neutral.
It is particularly obvious in connection with news items regarding the British establishment, Muslims, and those pertaining to the homosexual agenda.
BBC News is quite accurate about these countries which had been colonised by Britain and I start my day by listening to the BBC World Service, which is really informative. Its coverage on Russia, however, is strongly biased as Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, according to Churchill. In my view, the Australian media is the least credible source in the English-speaking world, especially when it comes to reporting on anything international.

Australia’s most popular news website, news.com.au, published a long article last week – pushed as the lead story of the hour – that was the perfect distillation of this disturbing yet predictable trend. It opened with a cute piece of comedy: “We know he loves to strut around shirtless, pose shamelessly for Kremlin PR photographs and invade former Soviet republics.” What a monster! What a brute! Over many words, peppered with Buzzfeed-style images, the piece reminded readers that Putin was a former member of the KGB who carefully crafts his “macho” image and loves to “butterfly swim through chilly lakes”. Readers would have discovered almost nothing about Putin and Russian attitudes towards global affairs, but such stories would presumably please the White House, which is desperate to frame Putin as the archetypal enemy of the 21st century. Such a message grows from the belief that “our” political and business leaders should be treated with far more respect than non-western figures ripe for one-dimensional portrayals.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... to-account
By demima
The prominent news staff, or commentariats, are generally centre right or establishment types. Newsnight host Evans Davis, Andrew Neil, Laura Kuenssberg being prime examples. They're usually supporters of the current Tory government. Sometimes seeing Laura fawning over George Osbourne makes me gag a little.

It should be noted that they are generally under the thumb of whatever ruling party is in place due to the funding arrangements. At the moment the BBC is doing its utmost to not upset the Tories, or risk having their budgets getting slashed further.
By layman
The bbc needs public opinion more than the goverment of the time. Neither labour nor the left wing press seem to have a big problem with them.

also, remember this is the goverment licence fee payers voted for. its version of neutrality will shift with the public average political compass.

Its a strage system but neutrality is always harder to define than you think.
By SD92
It's certianly left wing, they even use a comminist colour (Red) as their main colour, even though it looks unsightly. But the biggest disgrace is that we have to fund them, most other countries wouldn't put up with it. They'd be rioting in the streets in the USA if the BBC was forced on them.
Last edited by SD92 on 06 Feb 2016 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
By SD92
fuser wrote:I think traffic lights, fire department etc are communist too.

Oh no, don't say they are disguising themselves as traffic lights now. Fucking hell, it's like USA in the 50's again!
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable justi[…]

You are already in one. He says his race is being[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]