Should Britain join the euro? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should Britain adopt the euro as its currency?

Yes
16%
No
78%
Other-Please elaborate
6%
No. The EMU is horrible. The Euro makes no sense.
Why joining the euro would harm you:

a) Since the central bank finally accepted to inject money in the system to support growth, this means you will be indebted to help the eurozone bounces back, especially its weakest economies, the ones that have the highest risk of never reimbursing you. The ECB's loans are its members' loans.

b) You would forfeit your monetary powers and monetary optimality by depending on a foreign currency that is not governed according to your interests or your own economic situation. For example the UK was quick to rescue its economy after 2008 but the euro bank did it later and fewer, too late and too few, because Germany did not want to be indebted to save others.

c) The euro is a precarious construction that does not work, that harms our mutual relationships and economies. At any moment it could disappear. It should disappear.

The only benefit would be that enterprises targeting the eurozone would rather put their value creation sites in the eurozone to not suffer from change variations. But conversely those targeting the UK market could now deport those sites to other countries and you will suffer an increased competition from foreign exporters.

The eurozone was made by politicians who did not understand economy or money but wanted to nurture the European identity and were ready to sacrifice our prosperity for this imperialist ambition. Eventually it will work, but it will only be after decades or centuries of pain. Most economists thought it was a premature idea when it was created, most economists think it harms us and that destroying it would make things even worse. It is a trap, do not enter it.
Only member states of the European Union may be in the eurozone and since the English will be leaving soon in order to import salty butter and frozen lamb from New Zealand, they will not qualify to use the Euro as their currency.
I wouldn't say never on this, but certainly not right now.

The problem is that Germany leads Europe, as well as controlling the european central bank. The UK wants to be a leader, especially when it comes to financials. Not a follower.
Are you joking? They UK does not want to be a leader in the EU it wants nothing to do with the EU at all.
Yes. I'm tired of having to convert my money several times when travelling. Ideally everyone would be on the dollar, but until then I think there should just be American and NotAmerican currencies. The Euro seems like a sincere attempt to realize this.
Decky wrote:Are you joking? They UK does not want to be a leader in the EU it wants nothing to do with the EU at all.

I'm pretty sure that if the UK was in the drivers seat for the EU as Germany are now, there wouldn't be a hard push to get out.
Anyone who joins the Euro currency now is incredibly stupid.

The Euro might not collapse, but its a guarantee for headaches for sure. For example, without the Euro, the greece disaster wouldnt exist.
I think Blair never intended to join the euro. That was just another devious move by the British to confuse Europeans.

The euro is perfect, but it's members aren't. If the British would have joined the euro in the beginning, the euro would today be the first reserve currency in the world. The US would no longer determine Europe's fate. Europe would determine its own destiny.

The question of whether the euro will succeed or not is determined by politics and not by economics. The euro can very well function without a federal state, provided the rules are applied. The EU and the euro are based on the rule of law. Unlike the Germans, the British would not have let themselves be blackmailed into bending the rules. Moreover, the British have the Anglophone media at their disposal to create the dominant narrative.

This is what I dislike most about the British, they want to profit from the common market, but leave it to others to make the effort for keeping Europe together.

By entering the European war in 1914, the British lost their empire, by leaving the European economy in 2017, they will lose the United Kingdom. Maybe that needs to happen for the British to find their place in the world.
I think Blair never intended to join the euro. That was just another devious move by the British to confuse Europeans.

Actually, no. He was desperate to join and be in the center of europe.

Brown blocked him and Europe snubbed him. I dont think anyone really wanted Britain to be more involved at that point. Not least because it might mean sharing power or being flexible. Well, maybe germany but certainly not the french faction.

You still have a blind spot on how the British state works. You think it is some devious arm of America. It isnt. In fact the foriegn office is well know to actually be quite anti american and EU focused - in reality.

Your problem is you read too many British papers I think :D
layman wrote:You still have a blind spot on how the British state works. You think it is some devious arm of America. It isnt.

The British don't need the Yanks to be devious. That is something they can manage on their own.

In fact, in many ways, the Americans are more like Germans.

As to Blair being desperate to join the euro, tell it to the goat.
As to Blair being desperate to join the euro, tell it to the goat.

No, layman is actually right about this. Tony Blair was a threat to the British state. He was quite possibly the worst Prime Minister of modern times, with the possible exception of Margaret Thatcher. He sold British foreign policy to America in the aftermath of 9/11. In fact, it was worse than that - he gave away control of Britain's foreign policy to the head of state of a foreign power. Where I come from, that's called 'treason'. He was also willing to give away Britain's control of its own currency to a foreign power - the EU. Again, the word 'treason' springs to mind. Thank God Brown managed to block him.
Potemkin wrote:No, layman is actually right about this. Tony Blair was a threat to the British state. He was quite possibly the worst Prime Minister of modern times, with the possible exception of Margaret Thatcher. He sold British foreign policy to America in the aftermath of 9/11. In fact, it was worse than that - he gave away control of Britain's foreign policy to the head of state of a foreign power. Where I come from, that's called 'treason'. He was also willing to give away Britain's control of its own currency to a foreign power - the EU. Again, the word 'treason' springs to mind. Thank God Brown managed to block him.

Wasn't it you Pot who explained to me the role of hypocrisy in British politics? (It's working so well for Brexit)

Even if Blair expressed an intention to join the euro, it doesn't mean he actually would have done it. Remember the EU constitution? Everybody thinks the French sunk the constitution. That's wrong. Blair sunk the constitution. He just managed to make it look as if others had done the dirty deed. Only two days after the Poles and Spanish (who wanted a religious reference in the constitution) gave up their opposition to the constitution, Blair decided to call a referendum. That is when the EU constitution was was killed. To torpedo European integration has been the declared goal of every single UK government. Blair would never have joined the euro no matter what he might have said. It would have been too damaging for the dollar.

Aside from the Iraq war, Blair wasn't a bad PM. It's just popular to say so now. After all, there is a reason why he served 3 terms in office.
Aside from the Iraq war, Blair wasn't a bad PM. It's just popular to say so now. After all, there is a reason why he served 3 terms in office.

He was a pro European and also a terrible person. You are just going to have to reconcile that those two things are possible in one man.

Tony Blair = Iraq war Now in British minds.

Nothing else matters and he knows that. What is funny is that Blair could have actually redeemed himself quite a lot in terms of perception if he had apologised, admitted he was wrong and resigned. Yes he will still be a villain to many but it might have left with a vastly reduced legacy. Not a total ruin like it his now.
layman wrote:What is funny is that Blair could have actually redeemed himself quite a lot in terms of perception if he had apologised, admitted he was wrong and resigned.

How do you apologize and admit that you were wrong if you are responsible for the death of so many people? No, that just can't be done. You have to continue justifying your actions no matter how wrong you are. His argument is that a world with Saddam would have been even worse, and that the invasion wasn't responsible for the rise of IS. The former can't be proved and the second is clearly wrong, as is also confirmed by the Chilcot report.
Scott Fisher wrote:As a progressive person I sincerely believe that Britain should integrate into Europe. I think this should start with the Britain joining the single currency, I realise people will have strong views against and for.

Join the €uro! We're not even in the EU, and if there was such an entity as a god I would thank him for that.

@ingliz I know you want this disgusting ideology[…]

He's a parasite

This is another one: https://www.youtube.com/shor[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 18, Thursday The rise of a canny classroom[…]

Seems like the Left in Western European countri[…]