Biggest threat to America - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What is the biggest threat to America?

China
17%
Muslims
17%
Other
67%
US Debt is not as deadly as everybody thinks.

US Debt is actually someone's savings. Consider these savings as money invested into US Ltd.

The problem is not the debt of goverment but iceberg of "financial industry" approaching to titanic of "real industry". During last year, each dollar emited by FED generated smaller growth of GDP but greater growth of the debt. That means money don't reach "real" economy: they are sucked by "financial" parasite. Right now US is borrowing more and more to feed this parasite.
Luna wrote:...The Iraq War was the most catastrophic misstep in recent memory...

A misstep?

You mean the ongoing Western pillaging of Iraq, the construction of the multi-billion dollar American military base, the trillions in arms sales, and ongoing attacks on neighboring countries.... is all just one gigantic "misstep?"

Wow. Hard to believe that a single "step" could involve decades of bombing campaigns and total war for decades on an entire region.

What TV show did you get this information from? Does Alex Jones know that the entire half-century of plunder in the Middle East (by the West) was just a slip of the foot? :lol:
By Luna
QatzelOk wrote:You mean the ongoing Western pillaging of Iraq, the construction of the multi-billion dollar American military base, the trillions in arms sales, and ongoing attacks on neighboring countries.... is all just one gigantic "misstep?"

The Iraq War was a failure on the part of policymakers who saw it as a good idea (e.g. the neocons), in that the subsequent and totally predictable rise of ISIS now puts that base on shaky footing. It also hasn't aided Perle's goal of a more secure Israel and especially not Chalabi's of a more secure Iran, due to ISIS' rise threatening both. Nor did Rummy meet his goal of reshaping the rules of modern warfare with a cheap and small-scale strike force to surgically take out Saddam Hussein, because the reconstruction that everyone else said would happen and he reacted to with "la la la whatever" happened. And it absolutely didn't become a functioning liberal, capitalist "democracy" like Wolfie wanted.

The defense contractors (Blackwater) and reconstruction industry (Halliburton) made a killing. And the Robert Gates great-power realpolitik types got what they wanted through keeping most of the oil in the ground thereby reinforcing the America-sphere's dominance of the oil markets, in turn meaning its grip on China. On the part of most of the war's initial planners though, I think it's fairly described as a failure even for their imperial goals. That leaders are self-serving does not also make them competent, and it does not benefit the left at all to view the haute-bourgeoisie as hyper-competent Randian supermen. They wish. Mostly they're just garden variety assholes who happen to be good at schmoozing.

Wow. Hard to believe that a single "step" could involve decades of bombing campaigns and total war for decades on an entire region.

The Iraq War usually refers in America specifically to the Bush II-era policies in Iraq, not the Gulf War/War for the Kuwaiti Monarchy or the Clinton administration's starvation sanctions.

What TV show did you get this information from?

Reporting from CNN, MSNBC, NYT, The Guardian. Op-eds from CounterPunch, Alternet, Thom Hartmann, The American Conservative to shake things up some.

Does Alex Jones know that the entire half-century of plunder in the Middle East (by the West) was just a slip of the foot? :lol:

Well over half-century, more like over half a millenia and even in its modern form about two centuries. And no, because Alex Jones is too busy talking about da loominati and the transsexuals in the bathrooms to confront the issue of imperialism.
Last edited by Luna on 20 Jun 2016 14:32, edited 3 times in total.
Starman. You must be very young. You are lousy with dates. I suggest you read a little history and pay attention to the dates. Then edit your idiotic timeline. :roll:
Luna wrote:The Iraq War was a failure on the part of policymakers....

I'll say....

It also hasn't aided Perle's goal of a more secure Israel and especially not Chalabi's of a more secure Iran, due to ISIS' rise threatening both.

Well ISIS (or the disintegration of key arab state actors, in part due to it) has been a boon to Israel in that it further strengthens its military hegemony, and (supreme irony) makes it appear arabs or muslims, now at a nadir of weakness, are the key regional threat. ISIS has also aided Iran in that it makes the new shiite dominated Iraq more dependent on Iranian help, hence more under Tehran's influence. And of course by now ISIS is sinking toward defeat anyway (although I'd strongly recommend doing everything possible to foster reconciliation with sunnis, or mayhem will never end).

And it absolutely didn't become a functioning liberal, capitalist "democracy" like Wolfie wanted.

Long before the 2003 invasion materialized I argued strongly that democratization wouldn't work, because circumstances in Iraq were entirely different from those that enabled democracy to take root here. I said what people have only recently begun to realize, that Iraq needed dictatorship. It's an indictment of our own democracy that numbskulls like wolfowitz were making policy while people with brains (I was far from alone) were out of the loop altogether.

DrLee wrote
You must be very young

I wish I was. :lol:

I'm surprised to see the genocide supporters (lik[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong???[…]

Sure, but they are too stupid to understand, Trum[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]