How do you vote? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What "rules of thumb" do you follow for voting?

I always vote for the lesser evil (or lesser good) based on electability.
10%
Usually the above, but with exceptions.
10%
I vote for whatever I believe in regardless of electability.
3%
I always vote for candidates of a particular political party.
3%
I usually vote for candidates of a particular political party but with exceptions.
10%
I vote for individual candidates I like regardless of party.
3%
I have one or a few issues that I base my vote entirely on.
10%
I have one or a few issues that are priorities but there are exceptions where I will put these aside.
6%
I vote on the big picture taking all issues into account equally.
16%
I view voting as a duty and always vote if possible.
19%
I rarely or ever vote out of principle.
No votes
0%
Other.
10%
By nucklepunche
In elections do you have a "rule of thumb" you follow for voting. I have four main "categories" of issues thus I allow up to four choices. The four categories are practicality (the extent to which your vote is strategic vs. idealistic), partisanship, relevance of single issue or few issue politics and finally voting as a duty vs. not voting. I allow up to four choices with the intention that people will pick from each category.

For me my answers are.

Usually the above with exceptions.

I generally vote for the best candidate who can win. I prefer to say the lesser of two goods in the sense that I will vote for an electable candidate I agree with most of the time versus my dream candidate who is unelectable. There does come a point where all candidates are so mediocre or bad it doesn't matter.

I usually vote for candidates of a particular political party but with exceptions.

I do usually vote for one party however I am not absolutely committed to it. I generally almost always vote one way for legislative offices however I make exception for executive offices since I think these are more management based and based on the personality of who is running.

I understand these are the offices people get most emotional about however in practicality they are the least important ideologically. It is sort of the "grand prize" of politics so thats why people get angry about it. In presidential races I "weight" foreign policy much, much higher than other issues.

I have one or a few issues that are priorities but there are exceptions where I will put these aside.

I do have a handful of issues that are dealbreakers however I would set them aside for the ultimate issue of foreign policy crisis or some existential danger.

Other.

I don't view voting as a the apotheosis of democracy as some do, I think informing people and having debates outside election cycles is much more important. I think if you spread the ideas around people will vote for better candidates in the future. However I think people should vote in most cases.
By Patrickov
Hong Kong doesn't have true democracy, and its freedom and justice is under constant threat by the Chinese Communist Party and its collaborators. Therefore, my family and I always balance votes among electable oppositions, such that there are enough votes in the council to overturn crucial motions.

Why a permanent ceasefire and not a final peace t[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Which gives rise to an equally terrible far right[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]