Statistical Analysis Proving the U.S. Electoral College is Undemocratic - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.
XogGyux wrote:You know what is ludicrous? That you think that land and not people is what should decide governance.

The electoral college was set up to ensure that less populated areas of the country were not subject to the politics of the many. America is a limited Democracy, and the Founding Fathers kept it that way. It's not about land, it is about representation.
One Degree wrote:Absolutely. People die. Land, the earth, lives on if we don't kill it. The people living on each section should have the same say over those living on any other section. It is the earth we need to preserve. Government by popular vote encourages more people which the world no longer needs. They are a surplus commodity and therefore their value should be diminished in our thinking. Why should the people of New York have more to say about what happens than the people of Montana? The fact there are more of them does not give them more insight to the problems of Montana than the people who actually live there. This is why I believe in local autonomy and one vote per autonomous area. Popular vote is fine as long as it is restricted to local concerns.

It has nothing to do with land. It's about representation in order to ensure corruption is kept in check.
[quote][
It has nothing to do with land. It's about representation in order to ensure corruption is kept in check./quote]

I was not saying 'what is', but 'what should be'. The world is headed in the wrong direction with too many people. The only thing we can do is try to make smaller areas self sustaining and hope this will help us survive the problems to come. Compassion for others will need to take a back seat to survival for us and ours.
Rationalize it all you want. Government is to govern people, people should decide. Last time this happen we ended up with one of the worse presidents in the history of the US, who started multiple wars. Even his own brother could not make his mind if this president was a liability or help in the campaign trail, thats how bad he was. More dejavu. Trump is a maniac that more than likely will destroy this country. At the beginning of his win I was a bit sad, but now I'm excited to see how far republican's cognitive dissonance goes.
The electoral college was set up to ensure that less populated areas of the country were not subject to the politics of the many. America is a limited Democracy, and the Founding Fathers kept it that way. It's not about land, it is about representation.

It was set up to protect the institution of slavery. But that does not tell the whole story. The birth of our country by the free association of several "states" was far from a foregone conclusion. The founders had to find a system in which they could get all of these states to band together and (with limits) cede their sovereignty to the central government. That was then this is now.

We could easily do away with the electoral college and still have all of the protection the less populous states have. In fact, the electoral college is simply a grab for power by rural states who, since we have it, have way more than their share of power. Further. Even if we did away with the electoral college they would have way more than their fair share of power. Why?

It is called, "The Senate". Without the senate no law can be passed. The state of Wyoming has 580,000 people. Two senators. The state of California has about 66 times that number of people and two senators. So when it comes to making law, the so-called flyover states are ridiculously overrepresented.

We should do away with the electoral college to go some way to repairing the damage done by the completely unfair senate.
Drlee wrote:It was set up to protect the institution of slavery.

Yeah, not really.

It is called, "The Senate". Without the senate no law can be passed. The state of Wyoming has 580,000 people. Two senators. The state of California has about 66 times that number of people and two senators. So when it comes to making law, the so-called flyover states are ridiculously overrepresented.

That's because pre-17th Amendment, Senators were appointed by State legislatures, they weren't elected popularly. That was because the House of Representatives represented the people, the Senate represented the States, and the federal government predominately had jurisdiction over the States, not over the People.

We should do away with the electoral college to go some way to repairing the damage done by the completely unfair senate.

I say we keep the EC because it prevents us from being dominated by the relatively few large urban population centers, which have far different wants and needs than rural areas, and repeal the 17th Amendment. If we're going to go the other direction and devolve completely into simple mob rule...I mean, democracy...then let's split the US up into regions. People in Wyoming have little to nothing in common with people in New York City, when it comes to what they require from their legislators, or even in their community values.

I'd actually like to see us adopt some kind of parliamentary structure and ditch this ridiculous two-party, winner-take-all nonsense.

@Drlee Unlike @JohnRawls I don't think Ameri[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Startup in Muscovy : mother of a Muscovite soldier[…]

Got to watch the lexicon. Heritable is not a real[…]

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]