Should Israel have kept the Sinai Peninsula? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should Israel have kept the Sinai?

Yes
25%
No
69%
other
6%
In 1982, Israel handed over the complete Sinai Peninsula to Egypt. As a consequence, all Israeli citizens were deported from the peninsula. The newly-built Israeli town of Yamit was completely destroyed. Yamit was planned as a second Tel Aviv: a modern city on the sea. If Israel had kept the Sinai Peninsula, Israel's housing prices wouldn't skyrocket as they do at the moment, since there would be enough space to build new homes. What is more is that the Sinai Peninsula plays an important role in Jewish history while its just a conquered peace of land for Egypt. Apart from that, Cairo has no real control over this part of "Egypt" which is why this area is de facto controlled by terrorists. Furthermore, Israeli-Egypt relations haven't really improved ever since. This is why I think handing over this huge peace of land to third world Egypt was a huge mistake.

P.S.: I've recently spend some time on the Golan Heights. It's good for both the Druze and the Jewish population that it's not part of Syria any more.
I have recently been reading some of the threads in the mideast forum posted around the time of 2004-2005.

I thought this type of stupid ideas was dealth was done back then, but it appears not to be.

Its good though the some of the pro- Israel posters keep pointing out the expansionist nature of the state of Israel and giving legitamcy to the opposing sides whether in words or in real world.
anasawad wrote:@Subliminal
No it didn't, it still has the golan highs which is Syrian and part Lebanese. And still has military occupation over the Sheba farms.

I didn't say everything. In fact, Israel has handed over the Sinai, Gaza and large parts of the Westbank.
By the way: the Golan Heights WERE Syrian only between 1923 and 1967. Before they were part of Mandatory Palestine.
anasawad wrote:So in short, Israel is still occupying lands illegally.

The Golan was split between Syria, Lebanon, and Palestine. So no it wasn't palestine.
And yes Israel still illegally annexed it.

At the moment it's better to live in Israel than to live in Syria. So it's good that Israel has annexed it.
Subliminal wrote:I'm afraid you're wrong. Israel has returned both the Sinai and Gaza. :hmm:

Those were diffrent. Egypt is an arab country with the biggest population its bad to have them as enemy
Syria population is relatively small and its a weak country that pose no serious threat and also because of Iran and Hezbollah there is no chance that Israel will sign peace with them.
Gaza was a small area with a big hostile population there is no such problem in the golan heights
The Muslims were not the enemy in 1982, the Soviet union and Red China were. We were in a pathetic state relying on Saddam Hussein and the Khmer Rouge to fight our battles for us. America was not yet even strong enough to risk taking on the Grenadian military. Thatcher and Reagan were deeply unpopular. The Soviet Union its armoured spear heads now a mere 300 miles from the Gulf of Hormuz was still secure in Afghanistan.

Yes with hindsight we can say it was a gross mistake, but at the time no one knew that within a decade the whole Soviet empire would be swept into the dustbin of history.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Those were diffrent. Egypt is an arab country with the biggest population its bad to have them as enemy

Yes absolutely. Had Israel kept the Sinai, Egypt would've had no choice but to continue the cycle of war. There would've been another conflict in the years after '73, only much bigger. Egypt wouldn't have left the arab fold, and received many billions for massive rearmament. Israel wouldn't have been beaten but could've endured an incredibly costly stalemate. The consequences of keeping Sinai would've made a mockery of what the OP thinks.

Syria population is relatively small and its a weak country that pose no serious threat and also because of Iran and Hezbollah there is no chance that Israel will sign peace with them.
Gaza was a small area with a big hostile population there is no such problem in the golan heights

As matters now stand Syria is indeed weak. But keeping the Golan invites eventual trouble, after the current mess in Syria is straightened out. In just one year Syria may again be unified under Assad, with Hez and Iran plus Russia helping it get back on its feet. Unless Israel agrees to negotiate to return Golan there's no telling what may happen in just ten years or so.
I think subliminal has one good point though. Israel is getting desperate for more turf. I suggest the most likely scenario is ethnic cleansing of the West Bank, perhaps after the replacement of Abbas and some incident give them a pretext to drive out the Palestinians.
starman2003 wrote:But keeping the Golan invites eventual trouble,

Yeah right and if Israel moved every West Bank setter and gave the Palestinians East Jerusalem, the West Bank, the Sheba Farms, the Golan and the Gaza strip they'd get permanent peace. the Muslims would be happy wouldn't they. I mean there's no way the Muslims would think up something else to demand. Its not like Muslim demands and entitlement has grown at all in the fourteen hundred years since the good people of Yathrib foolishly gave the Muhammadans sanctuary.

after the current mess in Syria is straightened out. In just one year Syria may again be unified under Assad, with Hez and Iran plus Russia helping it get back on its feet. Unless Israel agrees to negotiate to return Golan there's no telling what may happen in just ten years or so.

:lol: Yeah dream on! You really think Israel will just allow Assad and his Iranian and Hezbollah's backers complete victory.
Last edited by Rich on 21 Nov 2016 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Rich wrote:Yeah right and if Israel moved every West Bank setter and gave the Palestinians East Jerusalem, the West Bank, the Sheba Farms, the Golan and the Gaza strip they'd get permanent peace. the Muslims would be happy wouldn't they. I mean there's no way the Muslims would think up something else to demand. Its not like Muslim demands and entitlement has grown at all in the fourteen hundred years since the good people of Yathrib foolishly gave the Muhammadans sanctuary.

From c 1980 to 1982 the Israelis dismantled their Sinai settlements, moved the settlers out and essentially gave Egypt everything it wanted back. The result: over three decades of peace. Politically it would be much tougher for Israel to apply the same formula to the West Bank and Golan, but it has proven workable.
Israel is vastly stronger militarily than any combination of arab/muslim states and there's an obvious limit to what the latter can realistically expect to get. I think they know that and would be quite satisfied with concessions like the above.

Yeah dream on! You really think Israel will just allow Assad and his Iranian and Hezbollah's backers complete victory.

Assad has Russian backers too. :) As long as he's fighting in Syria, his own turf, the Israelis will be hesitant to clash with Russian backed forces.
Last edited by starman2003 on 26 Nov 2016 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

In Canada, Indigenous people have been harassed r[…]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]