How to respectfully respond when someone says the R-word. - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.
I just googled the US pay scales for accountants and bricklayers. They are very close unless you have a CPA or are very high up in a company.
Accountants with a Bachelors start at 35K where bricklayers start at about 28K, but most would probably not have a college loan to pay off.
They both range to over 80K.
The free market seems to consider the skills equal.
Here in Australia full time plumber tradesmen average around $55,000 usd, more than accountants ($45,000).

Self employment is where its at, whatever the industry. My two plumber uncles employ 8 underlings, usually apprentices (start at $50,000 usd). Revenue from typical set of contracts is over $1.5 million a year. Minus taxes, tax exempt expenses and salaries...life is sweet. I think they own an entire street in Newcastle. Bought up all the businesses and properties.

Never just settle for a boss.

As for retard, it's a fun label. Leave the labels alone!
I never like when people throw around the word retard. I know some who are actually clinically retarded and I feel sad for them. Being retarded is not funny. It hurts them and everyone around them.

So if I have to call someone dumb I just call them ignorant, numb or just really dumb. Or name calling in different languages is always fun. :D

I just googled the US pay scales for accountants and bricklayers. They are very close unless you have a CPA or are very high up in a company.
Accountants with a Bachelors start at 35K where bricklayers start at about 28K, but most would probably not have a college loan to pay off.
They both range to over 80K.
The free market seems to consider the skills equal.

It would appear so. Of course if you look at invoices for the 2 careers you would see that they are paid differently. One would be paid by hour and one would be paid by salary. Ehn, I will take a desk job over physical labor any day. I am a bit of a klutz anyway. I actually have done some light industrial work many years ago and it just did not suit me.

Self employment is where its at, whatever the industry. My two plumber uncles employ 8 underlings, usually apprentices (start at $50,000 usd). Revenue from typical set of contracts is over $1.5 million a year. Minus taxes, tax exempt expenses and salaries...life is sweet. I think they own an entire street in Newcastle. Bought up all the businesses and properties.

Well, I used to think self employment was worth it. But paying more taxes, sounds so unappealing. I admire those that make it work but I am not sure I can. I actually started studying Accounting so I could learn how to operate a business.

And I have heard that is hard to keep a small business going. One of my neighbors is finally doing well. But before then, he was at home with his kids for years. I have no idea how he was able to support them during the lean times.

According to this article, 96% of businesses fail within 10 years. http://www.inc.com/bill-carmody/why-96- ... years.html
The thing about genuine mentally handicapped individuals is that they don't get offended by the term retard being bandied around because they're too retarded to do so. So you don't need to protect them from words. They're too stupid to perceive the broader public conversation. You use it ironically at people exhibiting retarded ideas, like SO just did above.
MistyTiger wrote:I never like when people throw around the word retard. I know some who are actually clinically retarded and I feel sad for them.

Now that is really offensive. Some handicapped people get really furious if you dare to feel sad for them - it implies that they are somehow inferior to non-handicapped people. Once you go down that microaggression rabbithole, there's no stopping. ;)

Being retarded is not funny. It hurts them and everyone around them.

I can see how it hurts everyone around them, but how does it hurt the retard? It's their normal way of being, the way they've always been, and they're too incapacitated to realize, anyway. Now someone with a traumatic brain injury and subsequent damage, who knows the difference, I can see how it hurts them to compare their before and after.
How is that ironic? And anyway your ideas are way more retarded.

My idea that the singularity is at hand, and that we will all end up part of some hive mind, in which you will be forced to share your thoughts with my own in some kind of giant world brain? :excited:

I'd still go with SO's idea that surgeons should murder their patients because it's easier. That's just retarded.

but how does it hurt the retard? It's their normal way of being

Studies have shown that the dumber you are, the more happy and carefree you feel. We should be jealous of genuinely handicapped people. Every day must be filled with wonder and excitement. Tell us Gucci? How does it feel!?
Frollein wrote:
Now that is really offensive. Some handicapped people get really furious if you dare to feel sad for them - it implies that they are somehow inferior to non-handicapped people. Once you go down that microaggression rabbithole, there's no stopping. ;)

I can see how it hurts everyone around them, but how does it hurt the retard? It's their normal way of being, the way they've always been, and they're too incapacitated to realize, anyway. Now someone with a traumatic brain injury and subsequent damage, who knows the difference, I can see how it hurts them to compare their before and after.

Someone close to me is retarded. She is not clueless about her condition. If she had a normal IQ, I think she would've been smarter than me. She is better at reading people than I am. She could have been a phenomenal professional but instead she just finds fun with slot machines and concerts. I know growing up that it frustrated her when she would try to study and the words did not make sense to her. It was so much for her to process and so she had a major breakdown. And so that is why I feel sad.

Some retards have some understanding that they are limited in terms of their thinking, like the woman I just mentioned. She can feel that she is different from me. It upsets her but then she finds things to distract herself and then she forgets about her frustration for awhile.
One of my cousins is retarded. He suffered an accident as a child, right beside me. We crashed a toboggan down a hill in the snow and his head slammed through a fence. A few weeks of hospital later he returned with a lisp/speech impediment, a vacant expression in his eyes and he has reached the age of 32 with the intelligence of a ~12 year old but does have the maturity of an adult.

Still capable of driving a car and working laboring jobs. He also has a keen interest in computers and video games (i got him into them) and would probably be classed at a high computer literacy level. He managed to finish a word processing/spreadsheet certificate I (6 month course) at a tertiary institution. Before that he managed to finish high school.

The thing is, he KNOWS he's stupid. He KNOWS why he's stupid. He ACCEPTS it. He laughs off any kind of criticism...half the time he doesn't even comprehend it, goes right over his head; woosh! .... and is far happier in life than I am.

It is sad his life was forever altered by an accident, but it doesn't mean we have to treat such people with kid gloves-they're fucking happier than we 'normies' are most of the time.
Igor Antunov wrote:Studies have shown that the dumber you are, the more happy and carefree you feel. We should be jealous of genuinely handicapped people. Every day must be filled with wonder and excitement. Tell us Gucci? How does it feel!?

Are you sure it was your cousin that experienced the accident? Maybe that's just what they told you, buddy.
It is impossible for me to know how any other human feels about anything.
Happiness comes from accepting who you are, but since I am like most and prefer to believe I am smarter than I really am, then I have never truly accomplished that so I don't know if it brings happiness or not.
Most of us must believe the opposite or we would not strive to be smart. Shows how little we know about anything.
Being a surgeon is pretty easy if you don't give a fuck about the patient surviving. Hell, I could do it I rule at operation.

Surgeons are just the plumbers of the medical world.

The only reason we are impressed with neurosurgeons is a television program called Ben Casey from long before most here were born. (Black and white, which is, I might add, not television noir.)

Perry was tapped today as energy secretary. Now I dare you to tell me that is off-topic.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

@FiveofSwords Changing your argument is calle[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]